News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2021

Started by Halichoeres, October 05, 2020, 03:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Quote from: Bread on November 13, 2020, 02:02:24 AM
I've been thinking about this new Spinosaurus lately. Due to the fact Safari updated it so quickly as a result of current fossil evidence, does anyone else think we will have an updated Tyrannosaurus for 2022 or later? I assume this because the possibility of the Spinosaurus figure being popular.

Anything's possible. And nobody ever went broke going with T. rex. ;D
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Carnoking

Quote from: Bread on November 13, 2020, 02:02:24 AM
I've been thinking about this new Spinosaurus lately. Due to the fact Safari updated it so quickly as a result of current fossil evidence, does anyone else think we will have an updated Tyrannosaurus for 2022 or later? I assume this because the possibility of the Spinosaurus figure being popular.

An updated T. rex was actually one of my predictions for this year. I think they're definitely building to it, first with the repaint of their old scaly rex figure then their subsequent release of other tyrannosaurids. I'm sure it's coming soon, but I can see why they wanted to update their spino first.

Faelrin

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

suspsy

Geez. Could they not at least have repainted them in splashy new kid-oriented schemes? Or better yet, in schemes that match the ones on the show?

https://www.tvokids.com/school-age/apps/dino-dana-dino-quest
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Dinoxels

Well this is, underwhelming. Considering I was the first person to report on this ::).
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

CityRaptor

So they chose two figures that are obviously different styles?

Ah, well, I already have the Baby and have no interest in the adult, so that saves me money. Also noticed for the first time, that Safari also makes the common "T-Rex" mistake. Looking at the tags of my two Safari Rexes ( the Baby and the Feathered ), that is actually not a new development.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Jose S.M.

I was very sure this Dino Dana figures were not going to be anything of my interest but I still is kind of a let down in general

Primeval12

REALLY?! >:(

So frustrating. Dino Dana has some amazing designs. Hope this collaboration generates some new sculpts in the future.

Primeval12

Quote from: CityRaptor on November 13, 2020, 12:01:25 AM
Yeah, I wanted to have them listed in the firs post, too, but Halichoeres didn't include them because:
Quote from: Halichoeres on November 04, 2020, 03:17:23 AM
I didn't include them because they're not part of the prehistoric line, they're part of the mythical line. Just like the Papo Kraken wasn't included in the Papo 2020 thread, despite its resemblance to an ammonite. These aren't dinosaurs, just, in Safari's words, "inspired" by dinosaurs.

I feel like these dinos should be included since they are explicitly stated to be dinosaurs. The Papo Kraken is a little different imho since it is meant to be just a sea monster.

Bread

I knew those were going to be a pass for me, so I am not really disappointed to say the least. However, I see a positive outcome of these Dino Dana figures. Could this mean Safari's 2021 Reveals are right around the corner?

Gwangi

Quote from: Faelrin on November 15, 2020, 02:36:42 PM
Well I found the Dino Dana things and none are particularly exciting at all. Just old models with augmented reality features added.

https://store.safariltd.com/collections/safari-ltds-fall-savings/products/dino-dana-tyrannosaurus-rex

https://store.safariltd.com/collections/safari-ltds-fall-savings/products/dino-dana-t-rex-baby

That is really disappointing, wow. I'm at a loss for words. I've always liked the Dino Dana T. rex design, was kinda hoping we might get one. The Geoworld Dino Dan toys were better than this.

Jose S.M.

Quote from: Bread on November 15, 2020, 05:34:41 PM
I knew those were going to be a pass for me, so I am not really disappointed to say the least. However, I see a positive outcome of these Dino Dana figures. Could this mean Safari's 2021 Reveals are right around the corner?

They already told that the release will be next week and I saw some people circulating the 18th as the exact date but I'm not sure if it's correct.

Bread

Quote from: Jose S.M. on November 15, 2020, 06:09:45 PM
Quote from: Bread on November 15, 2020, 05:34:41 PM

They already told that the release will be next week and I saw some people circulating the 18th as the exact date but I'm not sure if it's correct.
Sorry, was unaware about that. Thank you for the information. Makes me get more excited. I have already started putting money aside for these new figures. :)

Halichoeres

Quote from: Primeval12 on November 15, 2020, 05:00:53 PM
Quote from: CityRaptor on November 13, 2020, 12:01:25 AM
Yeah, I wanted to have them listed in the firs post, too, but Halichoeres didn't include them because:
Quote from: Halichoeres on November 04, 2020, 03:17:23 AM
I didn't include them because they're not part of the prehistoric line, they're part of the mythical line. Just like the Papo Kraken wasn't included in the Papo 2020 thread, despite its resemblance to an ammonite. These aren't dinosaurs, just, in Safari's words, "inspired" by dinosaurs.

I feel like these dinos should be included since they are explicitly stated to be dinosaurs. The Papo Kraken is a little different imho since it is meant to be just a sea monster.

Well, there's already a line alluding to them in the first post. But okay, when the full reveals are announced I'll post them there under a spoiler tag. I won't bother with the teasers.

On another note, it's a pity the Dino Dana tie-in is so utterly lazy. The show deserves better.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Faelrin

I expect we will see the new releases this week. Aside from the 17th or 18th that's been mentioned or teased, there was a post on the 13th on their FB page saying:

QuoteJust a few days... are you ready?!

https://www.facebook.com/safariltd/photos/a.293876388192/10157778279183193/?type=3

Other then the Dino Dana ones, it seems as if one of the Toobs has been fully revealed now (which I may get around to picking up to display alongside many of their fantasy models I've had a few years now):

https://store.safariltd.com/products/heroes-monsters-designer-toob?_pos=6&_sid=760213dda&_ss=r

I guess I'll be keeping an eye out in case they'll revealing them day by day, although this one does appear to be in stock, so that may also be why its revealed now. Same seems to go for the Komodo Dragon and Bigfoot Good Luck minis, although they are both still showing the teaser image right now (at least for me).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

japfeif

Quote from: Shonisaurus on November 04, 2020, 09:05:40 PM
avatar_Roar @Walhalla Thanks for the link. I have signed up to receive news from Dino Dana.

Okay, not to be stupid here...but what exactly is this "Dino Dana" stuff everyone but me seems to be acquainted with? I keep scrolling thru old posts looking for when it began and an explanation but it seems like the mention just started one day & everyone is familiar with it (her?). Is it a new series of dinosaur figures? An artist/sculptor here? A TV show? sorry, I'm just a bit confused as to why that name keeps coming up in relation to prehistoric figures.

Brontozaurus

Quote from: japfeif on November 16, 2020, 04:49:17 AM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on November 04, 2020, 09:05:40 PM
avatar_Roar @Walhalla Thanks for the link. I have signed up to receive news from Dino Dana.

Okay, not to be stupid here...but what exactly is this "Dino Dana" stuff everyone but me seems to be acquainted with? I keep scrolling thru old posts looking for when it began and an explanation but it seems like the mention just started one day & everyone is familiar with it (her?). Is it a new series of dinosaur figures? An artist/sculptor here? A TV show? sorry, I'm just a bit confused as to why that name keeps coming up in relation to prehistoric figures.

It's a kids TV show that Safari has a licensing deal to produce merchandise for, though currently it looks like they're just attaching AR functionality to existing figures and re-releasing them under the Dino Dana name. Which is odd, because Dino Dana has its own dinosaur designs, and at the bare minimum Safari could repaint its existing figures to match the show (since the dinosaurs are realistic in it).
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Dinoxels

I think it's very strange that the winner of the contest last year for "make a 2021 product" is lacking from these teasers. Not that I or possibly most of any of you would get that, but I find it strange nevertheless.

CityRaptor

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Dinoxels

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: