News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2021

Started by Halichoeres, October 05, 2020, 03:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

I would like an updated scientific spinosaurus with a large size, aside from the GR Toys spinosaurus. PNSO and Schleich spinosaurus are perfect but too small. I need an updated scientific spinosaurus, the size of its GR Toys and Papo counterparts.

Halichoeres

The color scheme on the Spinosaurus seems to be pretty polarizing. I personally find it pretty attractive, but I'm not sure if I'll end up getting this one. There will probably be another half dozen Spinosaurus figures released in the next year so I'm just going to wait and see for now rather than feeling compelled to buy multiples in sequence.

As someone pointed out up-thread, the color scheme on the Daspletosaurus is very much like the Sue figures, which are of course modeled after John Gurche's famous painting in the Field Museum (https://store.fieldmuseum.org/products/sue_the_t_rex_portrait_poster). I'm guessing that homage is intentional.

Anyway, it's been more than a month since I swore not to complain about large theropods for a month, so I'm now comfortable saying that if this is the entire lineup, it's a real bummer that it's all large theropods, and all from the same period. But at least there's a bit of variety from other companies.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

PrimevalRaptor

The Daspletosaurus looks MUCH better in hand (even though I feel a bit more variation in pattern/color would be neat) but it really is a nice model.
Surprised at how tiny the Spinosaurus is and not much a fan of the large scales, but I still love the colors a lot, more of this please! (Or at least a compromise between the two, for the members who don't like their dinosaurs overly flashy)

Faelrin

After watching both Andy's and Spinodude's videos on the Daspletosaurus it is definitely on my want list now. I really hope Safari Ltd can do figures Tarbosaurus, and Albertosaurus and/or Gorgosaurus in the future.

Also have to agree about the color scheme being similar to the older Safari Sue figures, but it also seems similar to this year's Soft Model Tarbosaurus by Favorite as well, but I guess that's mainly the combination of yellow and green.

Now I eagerly wait for a review on the Baryonyx, which is the one I desire the most of all these, and have been waiting years to see Safari do.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Bokisaurus

Hmmmm, pretty much anti climactic for me :-X
The Baryonyx is good ... until it started to look suspiciously familiar, then I realize it looks so much like the Favorite figure right down to the pose and especially the colors and patterns!
Why did they do this? They could have given it a different colors just to make it different from the Favorite :-\ right now its a pass for me, not much difference or anything unique to offer for me.
[]

The Spinosaurus looks okay, I do love the colors but not a fan on the very heavy handed paint applications. It has the misfortune of being released right after the PNSO and GR Toys, both really strong figures. I will get this since I have grown fond of the Spinosaurus.

Daspletosaurus is just a pass, not interested in it.

SenSx

Quote from: Bokisaurus on November 18, 2020, 06:25:51 PM
Hmmmm, pretty much anti climactic for me :-X
The Baryonyx is good ... until it started to look suspiciously familiar, then I realize it looks so much like the Favorite figure right down to the pose and especially the colors and patterns!
Why did they do this? They could have given it a different colors just to make it different from the Favorite :-\ right now its a pass for me, not much difference or anything unique to offer for me.
[]

Yes I think they wanted to mimic the Favorite and collecta's Baryonyx.
I personnally dislike the brown/yellow or flashy tone on that specie.
Maybe I'm weird, but I like my dinosaurs' colors to remind me the environnement they live in or are tied to.
Therefore I enjoy the fish eater Baryonnyx to be blue/grey/green, colder paint schemes.
They could have chosen something more unique.
I also would like a white albino one for Ice of Age Rudy tribute (even if it's just a huge cartoon representation).

suspsy

The striking colour similarity between those Baryonyx toys is unfortunate, but I wasn't super keen on the Safari one anyway. I already have the Deluxe CollectA version, plus the miniature from PNSO. That's enough for me.

But I'm liking the Daspletosaurus and the Spinosaurus more and more. The shrink-wrapping on the latter is a pity, but my CollectA twins have the same issue, so it doesn't bug me that much. I also rather like the aquatic-themed coloration. And it'll probably be cheaper to acquire than the PNSO version.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Dinoxels

I don't know if I have said this here but I would love to see more sculpts from this new sculptor for Safari Ltd. (ie, the new Spinosaurus)
It feels like a blend of the bright colors of Forrest Rogers and the fantastic scale details from Doug Watson.
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Mattyonyx

I don't understand all the criticism about the Baryonyx. I have the Favorite one in my collection: being an exclusive piece, the cost was higher and I gotta say, after the initial excitement I've started to like it less and less because mine suffers from asymmetry in the head (which I've noticed on other pieces seen online), is warping and losing bits of colors. Even if the Favorite Baryonyx was perfect, the Safari one looks like a great counterpart: it's less shrink-wrapped, there are no crocodilian scales on its back, overall proportions look better and it's way easier to get (and more affordable) for most of the collectors.

I was already planning a repaint of my Favorite Baryonyx, so the colors of the Safari are not such a big deal to me.

Mellow Stego

I'm loving all three.
The Spinosaurus is definitely a day one buy for me. 
A while back I custom painted a Schleich Spinosaurus with very similar colors.
Keep calm and love dinosaurs

Duna

I really like the Baryonyx. I did well by not getting the Schleich (which I did not like). The Daspletosaurus looks very nice too and has a perfect size for my little cabinet. And as it is a classic dinosaur, I will get it. I assume both models are sculpted by Doug because they both show characteristics of his personal style.
The spinosaurus is so small it looks like a joke ... spinosaurus must be big. Even the PNSO is too small for my taste but that is the one I'm getting as a Christmas present. I only get one figure per species (excepting the updates or new discoveries (as the swimming tail) so the Safari one is sadly out of my list. But I'm starting to like it more after the video review.

Sim

SidB

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on November 18, 2020, 03:47:08 PM
Andy's Dinosaur Reviews uploaded a review of the Daspletosaurus
https://youtu.be/G6HPA_fFruc
Splendid Daspletosaurus, sure looks and feels like a Doug Watson opus. He smashed it out of the park as far as I'm concerned. I'll display it alongside his feathered masterpiece of a T-rex.

ceratopsian

Thanks for the video link S @SidB.  It looks pretty good. I was impressed by the impression of an open throat passage!

Kapitaenosavrvs

Just saw Andys Video. Looks way better, than on the Pics. I will pick this one up. Safari has this Shot of the Baryonyx on their Website in more natural light, which looks also alot better.
With the Spinosaurus i need to wait for more inhand Pictures, because right now i an not the biggest fan of it. I kind of dislike the Paintjob and the chosen Colours. The sculpt is okay, but it looks really cartoonish to me. The PNSO Spinosaurus is on the Way to me and i do like the GR Toys SPino, but i like the PNSO better, and it was also cheaper. Smaller, yes, but i love the Sculpt AND Paintjob.

Back to Safari. Few, but well done Figures again. Dougs Work is absolutely there :D. I don't know if he did the Spino too, but the Headsculpt does not look like Doug. I could be wrong. Also, the Spino is not a bad Figure. It is great Craftsmanship, but it just does not do it for me, maybe as a repaint. We'll see.

Sorry if there were Things discussed already. War a rough Day and a need to read everthing tomorrow.
Have a Good Night/Day.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Mattyonyx on November 18, 2020, 08:46:27 PM
I don't understand all the criticism about the Baryonyx. I have the Favorite one in my collection: being an exclusive piece, the cost was higher and I gotta say, after the initial excitement I've started to like it less and less because mine suffers from asymmetry in the head (which I've noticed on other pieces seen online), is warping and losing bits of colors. Even if the Favorite Baryonyx was perfect, the Safari one looks like a great counterpart: it's less shrink-wrapped, there are no crocodilian scales on its back, overall proportions look better and it's way easier to get (and more affordable) for most of the collectors.

I was already planning a repaint of my Favorite Baryonyx, so the colors of the Safari are not such a big deal to me.

Yeah, they are pretty similar at first glance, but I also think the Safari version is probably a bit better done. And no tarsal scutes.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

suspsy

The more I look at those two fantasy dinosaurs, the more ridiculous they seem. The placement of the armour plating makes zero sense. If you're going to armour up a dinosaur, then cover the entirety of the neck, the back, and the flanks. Hannibal or any of the ancient Indian kings wouldn't have known whether to laugh or cry. And a couple dozen skilled archers would have a field day.

This is how you armour up a giant beast properly.

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

BlueKrono

Perhaps they are arrayed not for battle, but for a parade. Simply to look coolbro.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Doug Watson

DinoToyForum

The Spinosaurus colour scheme is giving me sailfish vibes. I wonder if that was intentional:

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: