News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2021

Started by Halichoeres, October 05, 2020, 03:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

I don't think it's "awful" but I don't have any current plans to buy it.  Problem is fails on a couple areas for me, none of which are really sculpt or color.  Size is one, I like BIG figures, we have several just as nice or better larger figures out already I have bought.  Next it came in after the new PNSO Spino which is better done in terms of sculpt, paint app, ect.  Probably two years ago even I would have been really excited to get this.

stargatedalek

Quote from: suspsy on January 23, 2021, 11:52:32 AM
I have yet to see a truly convincing argument from anyone as to why they think it's "awful."
Shrink-wrapped skull and sail, incorrect size of the dew claw, and a posture that would require leaning on the forelimbs despite not being based on a forelimb balanced reconstruction. I'm not saying everyone should inherently see it as bad, but there are plenty of issues with it that could turn people away so the lacklustre reception it's received makes sense.

Lynx

The main thing keeping me from buying it is the head sculpt. I just don't like it for some reason. Another thing is the size, it's tiny! The figure would not work well at all on my shelves. It's so small I don't even know what scale it is supposed to be. I will not be getting this figure despite it being my "safari year".
An oversized house cat.

suspsy

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 23, 2021, 05:24:37 PM
I have yet to see a truly convincing argument from anyone as to why they think it's "awful."
Shrink-wrapped skull and sail, incorrect size of the dew claw, and a posture that would require leaning on the forelimbs despite not being based on a forelimb balanced reconstruction. I'm not saying everyone should inherently see it as bad, but there are plenty of issues with it that could turn people away so the lacklustre reception it's received makes sense.

Meh. I'm aware of all of those issues, and I agree that they're valid, but at the same time, I honestly don't consider any of them to be pressing enough to justify the "awful" label in my book. I'll gladly take this Spinosaurus over say, the Papo Giganotosaurus or the entire 2021 Schleich assortment.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

John

The Spinosaurus model itself isn't so bad.The problem I have is that the species itself is still not quite well enough known to do with confidence yet.We still do not know the size and shape of the crest on it's skull or the shape of the sail on it's back for example.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Shonisaurus

Honestly, it will be one of the very few figures that I am going to buy this year in the online market and in the physical market. That daspletosaurus, spinosaurus and baryonyx I intend to buy from urzeitshop. I hope you give me a notice to my email.

I like that spinosaurus and sincerely what I regret is that it is so small, however I even like its beautiful painting. It is a small figure but without a doubt quite interesting and I do not understand why so many members of the DTF hate that figure. I definitely like it. Although to be honest the ones that interest me the most is the daspletosaurus that will make a very good pair with Collecta's and that can serve as a diorama with the sinoceratops.

stargatedalek

Quote from: suspsy on January 23, 2021, 07:39:39 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on January 23, 2021, 05:24:37 PM

Meh. I'm aware of all of those issues, and I agree that they're valid, but at the same time, I honestly don't consider any of them to be pressing enough to justify the "awful" label in my book. I'll gladly take this Spinosaurus over say, the Papo Giganotosaurus or the entire 2021 Schleich assortment.
I agree, I just don't think "better than the Papo running joke and Schleich at their near most mediocre" is a very high bar.

If this had come out in 2015/16, with a (then) speculative tail, even with the weird middle ground trying to please all posture, I might have been a lot softer on it for the shrinkwrapping and undersized dewclaws. But at this point there are just so many other options for Spinosaurus out there and aside from the colour this one doesn't have anything to stand out in the crowd. Even taking the tail fin into account there is Schleich, two PNSO, Papo, and Kaiyodo (even if they don't all get the tail fin right). And many Spinosaurus that don't have the tail fin don't have the same anatomical errors with the skull and feet that this one does.

Sim

Quote from: John on January 23, 2021, 07:42:30 PM
The Spinosaurus model itself isn't so bad.The problem I have is that the species itself is still not quite well enough known to do with confidence yet.We still do not know the size and shape of the crest on it's skull or the shape of the sail on it's back for example.

I agree.  I hate this Spinosaurus period where so many companies are producing Spinosaurus models instead of something better known and in my opinion more interesting.  It's particularly frustrating because it's not been long since this happened before with lots of companies producing short-legged Spinosaurus models.  The amount of Spinosaurus models produced within the last few years has been... overwhelming is the nicest word I can think of.  This has been even worse than the Giganotosaurus phase which was already obnoxious.  I get that Spinosaurus is popular and famous but not even T. rex has been getting so much attention at once from model companies.  Seeing new companies like Mesozoo and Mesozoic Life focus on Spinosaurus already is just depressing to me.  Then again, Mesozoic Life's other planned figures are Giganotosaurus and Concavenator... as if there isn't enough of those already.  Well, I guess companies should make what they want to make.

SidB

avatar_Sim @Sim , even though I'm a T-rex person first, then a generalist second, I sympathize with your frustration. Maybe you should explore becoming a paleo artist and create your own fauna  ... a variation on " if you want it done right, do it yourself." Have you ever engaged in this sort of venture?

Lynx

I feel like companies should start aiming for dinosaurs that have no figures made of them yet. For example if Safari made Halszkaraptor they would most likely get a lot of sales as it is the only one on the market. Not only would it put some variety but it would give the company some profit. As for spinosaurus figures I feel like GR Toys, PNSO, and Schleich have some of the best spinos and also some of the best sales. It was pretty bad timing when Safari released their spino figure. The fuss for a 2020 spino is insane, they all need to calm it down a bit.
An oversized house cat.

Dusty Wren

Quote from: Lynx on January 23, 2021, 10:33:23 PM
As for spinosaurus figures I feel like GR Toys, PNSO, and Schleich have some of the best spinos and also some of the best sales. It was pretty bad timing when Safari released their spino figure. The fuss for a 2020 spino is insane, they all need to calm it down a bit.

Remember, though, that Safari's target audience is kids. We're lucky that they take accuracy seriously and have produced lots of beautiful figures, but at the end of the day, collectors are not who they're thinking of when they design and market their products. If parents are looking for a spino for their kid, they are not going to buy the $60 PNSO spino or the $73 GR Toys spino. They're going to pick up the $13 Safari spino. So this isn't bad timing for Safari at all; they're currently the only toy company that's selling a cheap, kid-friendly version of a popular dino that reflects the most recent research. 
Check out my customs thread!

Lynx

Quote from: Dusty Wren on January 23, 2021, 11:12:30 PM
As for spinosaurus figures I feel like GR Toys, PNSO, and Schleich have some of the best spinos and also some of the best sales. It was pretty bad timing when Safari released their spino figure. The fuss for a 2020 spino is insane, they all need to calm it down a bit.

Remember, though, that Safari's target audience is kids. We're lucky that they take accuracy seriously and have produced lots of beautiful figures, but at the end of the day, collectors are not who they're thinking of when they design and market their products. If parents are looking for a spino for their kid, they are not going to buy the $60 PNSO spino or the $73 GR Toys spino. They're going to pick up the $13 Safari spino. So this isn't bad timing for Safari at all; they're currently the only toy company that's selling a cheap, kid-friendly version of a popular dino that reflects the most recent research.

The audience I am referring to are collectors. And even if the audience I was talking about were kids the Schleich spinosaurus would probably be the one parents would buy. Remember that unlike collectors most kids will not fuss over accuracy. Anyhow, that was not my main point.
An oversized house cat.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Dusty Wren on January 23, 2021, 11:12:30 PM

Schleich has several right now, including one that is at least as accurate as Safari's. Its tail fin is too subtle sure but it has the correct foot anatomy and a less shrink-wrapped skull. Plus we've got the PNSO mini, several by Favorite Kinto, and the Papo. While the Papo is expensive and Favorite is not competing with Safari for physical retail space in many territories they are still kids toys and not collectibles.

Bread

When this Spinosaurus was released, I did quite like it. Now, there are too many companies releasing this genus, as a result makes me want to wait around for the right/better figure to be produced by any company. Besides waiting, to me at least, there is not enough information on this genus to be truly happy with a figure that is currently on the market. The information we have has a lot of speculation, such as posture and sail shape, which in my opinion really defines Spinosaurus. As said by others in previous posts.

I will say that if this were a resculpt of Watson's Spinosaurus (2019?), I would much prefer it over the 2021 figure. Having this one along side my other Safari figures, it may stand out more due to it having a different style to it compared to Watson's sculpts. Just my thoughts on this figure.

Also, maybe some more in hand reviews and comparisons, once this is released, will shift some opinions on this figure?

Bokisaurus

Well, this new safari spinosaurus has the misfortune (again) of being released on the heels of other impressive ones like the PNSO and GR toys unfortunately.
I will eventually get it but only because I want to have the majority of the figures based on both latest reconstruction just to see how the different ones compare with each other.
At least it has something interesting to offer for me.
This is the only figure I want from safari this year😶

Lynx

The only 2021 figure I will be getting from safari is the baryonyx. I know it is quite a disliked figure but it appeals to me for some reason.
An oversized house cat.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Quote from: Lynx on January 24, 2021, 02:29:02 AM
The only 2021 figure I will be getting from safari is the baryonyx. I know it is quite a disliked figure but it appeals to me for some reason.
I don't think it is that disliked. And honestly that is my favourite 2021 figure
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Duna

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on January 24, 2021, 03:06:39 AMI don't think it is that disliked. And honestly that is my favourite 2021 figure
So is mine. And the only figure I'm getting.

SidB

I'm getting both the Daspletosaurus and the Baryonyx, which is a fine figure, as far as I'm concerned. Once I clean up the dentition with some judicious color matching around the mouth (not a difficult thing to do), it will be just perfect. Watson did a great job on the Baryonyx; it's a worthy rival for Favorites' one for sure.

Sim

Quote from: SidB on January 23, 2021, 10:32:09 PM
avatar_Sim @Sim , even though I'm a T-rex person first, then a generalist second, I sympathize with your frustration. Maybe you should explore becoming a paleo artist and create your own fauna  ... a variation on " if you want it done right, do it yourself." Have you ever engaged in this sort of venture?

No, I haven't.  It could be fun, but I think too much would be involved for me to be able to do this at this point in time.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: