News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2021

Started by Halichoeres, October 05, 2020, 03:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flaffy

Quote from: Stolpergeist on January 05, 2021, 07:34:02 AM
Quote from: Flaffy on January 05, 2021, 05:49:46 AM
Purely eyeballing from the screen, it seems that the Safari 2021 Baryonyx is missing quite a few teeth on the upper jaw; and the size of the teeth that are present seem to be too large and robust compared to Hartman's 2018 skeletal. Could Doug shed some light on this?

I have a very vague theory regarding this.
It is a toy, the teeth need to be large and robust for its purpose.

? @Stolpergeist
I understand this rationale. However this point doesn't really hold as Safari has shown time and time again that they are fully capable of producing delicate yet reasonably sized teeth on their figures.
Even on the Baryonyx figure itself, the teeth size on the lower jaw successfully reflects fossil evidence. There's no reason to assume the same could not be done for the upper jaw.

Furthermore you can't say the upper jaw needs more teeth with the skull material known.
I mean, look at this.

Unless you mean those that are known from the fossil material, in that case the number still is correct, the teeth are just larger as, again, this is a toy that children should be able to play with.

The number is technically "correct" yes, roughly 8 teeth after the notch. However, the position of the teeth does not seem to match up with the skull. On the paper skull, the teeth (and sockets) that were found don't extend far past the naris. However on the figure, the 8 teeth seem to extend far past the naris, almost reaching what would be the antorbital fenestra.
(I do recognise that Mr Watson has sculpted the nasal openings in front of the naris. The position of the nasal openings had no influence on this discussion)

And shouldn't the large missing portion (of skull) indicate that there should be more teeth filling the empty space on the upper jaw?
Rather than only 8 teeth along the entire length of the skull. Which again, the fossil material indicates that those very 8 teeth are concentrated near the naris.

Flaffy

Quote from: Stolpergeist on January 15, 2021, 05:29:45 AM
Quote from: Flaffy on January 15, 2021, 04:06:06 AM
I understand this rationale. However this point doesn't really hold as Safari has shown time and time again that they are fully capable of producing delicate yet reasonably sized teeth on their figures.
Even on the Baryonyx figure itself, the teeth size on the lower jaw successfully reflects fossil evidence. There's no reason to assume the same could not be done for the upper jaw.

Again, this is a toy that children have to be able to play with without getting the skin on their fingers cut open.
Make the teeth closer and sharper and they form a serrated surface similar to a cutting knife.

I never said make the teeth sharper? I said make them smaller. And again, Safari has produced figures that could potentially be considered hazardous to children, IF one considers shrinking the teeth of the Baryonyx equates to making a serrated knife.

Pretty sure all the figures above meet your criteria for being a safety hazard, with small, defined, closely packed teeth. yet I still see them for sale on Safari's website as children's toys.

Flaffy

Quote from: Stolpergeist on January 15, 2021, 06:30:52 AM
That isn't a reason to do that again.
The reasoning here is "they should do it again because they have done it before".

Not sure I quite follow what you mean there, sorry.

Point is, the upper jaw teeth of the Safari 2021 Baryonyx does not seem to match up with fossil evidence. Regardless of whether or not it's missing teeth.

Shane

While I can't speak to Doug's rationale, all the figures you posted have much larger heads and larger teeth than the Baryonyx. Therefore it seems an odd comparison to hold up those items as a precedent.

For me, as I said I can't claim to know Doug's intention, but there is simply the issue of aesthetics. Based on the examples you shared, the only one with a comparable situation in my opinion is the Feathered T-Rex, which fits a lot of smaller closer-spaced together teeth in the jaw.

For this to happen on the Baryonyx, a much smaller figure with a much narrower head and mouth, I believe you run the risk of having a figure that looks like it just has a big flat toothy smile instead of individual teeth.

This is just my take on it mind you, but sometimes sacrifices must be made so a figure still looks good when you're shrinking a 30 foot dinosaur down to 9 inches or so.

Gwangi

Just got the Baryonyx yesterday. It has some awful stability issues, a leg might be warped, I can't quite tell. I might try the hot water treatment. I haven't gotten a Safari toy with standing issues like this since the Anzu. The paint application on the teeth is pretty bad too. But aside from that, it's a fantastic piece. For me this is easily the best Baryonyx on the market. I'm not at all bothered by the colors.

Shonisaurus

My congratulations on your new acquisition.

What a beautiful figure, without a doubt he is superior to his Carnegie counterpart and I know that I repeat myself many times in similar situations, although I know how logically the modern versions of a dinosaur and within it of the same brand suppose in the majority of the cases a great improvement.

I especially like those masterful and conservative touches of color given to said dinosaur figure sincerely they give a much more realistic image than if they had bright colors. What is another advantage of Safari is the neat and clean painting of the teeth of said dinosaur. I hope that soon this figure especially and the daspletosaurus and to a lesser extent the spinosaurus for me the least expected figure will soon reach online stores in Europe. My opinion is that a figure in relation to genius of ten out of ten without appellations on my part according to my honest and personal point of view.

Jose S.M.

The colors seem closer to the stock photos on this one. Looks great but I do see it leaning forward a bit more than others I've seen.

Flaffy

Quote from: Shane on January 15, 2021, 02:16:11 PM
While I can't speak to Doug's rationale, all the figures you posted have much larger heads and larger teeth than the Baryonyx. Therefore it seems an odd comparison to hold up those items as a precedent.

For me, as I said I can't claim to know Doug's intention, but there is simply the issue of aesthetics. Based on the examples you shared, the only one with a comparable situation in my opinion is the Feathered T-Rex, which fits a lot of smaller closer-spaced together teeth in the jaw.

Refer to the context of the discussion. The reason I provided examples for the figures was in response to a point Stolpergeist made: That making the teeth smaller and more numerous on the Baryonyx would lead to the figure being a significant safety hazard. A point which I disagree with. The figures presented were not meant to be direct examples for how the Baryonyx's upper teeth should look.

And I don't understand why we're glossing over the fact that the Baryonyx itself has incredibly small, yet individually sculpted teeth on the lower jaw. And mind you, the teeth on the lower jaw of the real animal were noticeably smaller than those on the upper jaw (excluding the frontmost teeth).
So I really don't understand the argument that it would've been impossible to sculpt the teeth on the upper jaw in a similar manner, when the teeth on the lower jaw serves as a prime example that the feat can and has been done.

For this to happen on the Baryonyx, a much smaller figure with a much narrower head and mouth, I believe you run the risk of having a figure that looks like it just has a big flat toothy smile instead of individual teeth.

This is just my take on it mind you, but sometimes sacrifices must be made so a figure still looks good when you're shrinking a 30 foot dinosaur down to 9 inches or so.

Indeed, with a lesser sculptor that would certainly be a worry. But Doug has proven time and time again that he's fully capable of meticulously sculpting minute details onto his figures. Examples are as follows:
While the head on the Prestosuchus is "larger", the teeth are incredibly small, thin, and very well defined.

Another example would be the Masiakasaurus, with a head even smaller than the Baryonyx. Yet the teeth are still individually sculpted.

Faelrin

avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi I guess I should have expected this given my experience with Safari's products by now, but yikes on that poorly applied teeth paint. That makes me nervous on ordering this in the future, particularly online. I forgot but will Everything Dinosaur inspect figures on request?

Poorly applied paint on the teeth, leading to overspill on the jaws can really detract from my enjoyment of a figure that otherwise has a nice sculpt, etc.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Flaffy

Quote from: Stolpergeist on January 15, 2021, 07:29:22 AM
The fossil evidence only suggests that this children's toy could be missing teeth.

Well yes! That was one of my main points all along. So you've changed your mind on the point that the tooth count is correct.

Sim

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy, I'm not sure the Masakasaurus is a good example, it seems to suffer from something similar to the Baryonyx: not enough teeth.

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin, yes, Everything Dinosaur will inspect figures on request.

Flaffy

Does anyone know when EverythingDinosaur will have the 2021 Safari items in stock?
Looking forward to acquiring Doug's pieces this year.

austrosaurus

I really like the look of the Baryonyx, but I'll definitely be giving him a new coat of paint once I find someone to ship to Australia. There's nothing wrong with it per se, it's just a bit bland for my tastes.
As for the others, I'll pick up the Daspletosaurus eventually but it's not high on my priorities, and the Spinosaurus just looks plain awful, especially considering they managed to do a far better one in 2019. Seriously, looking at images of the two side by side, it looks like they rushed this year's out in like two weeks. The metallic paint job makes it look like a Jurassic Park hybrid and the skull & neck look positively shrimpy.

Shane

Quote from: austrosaurus on January 19, 2021, 03:22:10 AM
I really like the look of the Baryonyx, but I'll definitely be giving him a new coat of paint once I find someone to ship to Australia. There's nothing wrong with it per se, it's just a bit bland for my tastes.
As for the others, I'll pick up the Daspletosaurus eventually but it's not high on my priorities, and the Spinosaurus just looks plain awful, especially considering they managed to do a far better one in 2019. Seriously, looking at images of the two side by side, it looks like they rushed this year's out in like two weeks. The metallic paint job makes it look like a Jurassic Park hybrid and the skull & neck look positively shrimpy.

I cannot speak to your other complaints about the Spinosaurus, but as far as the paint job - it is not metallic at all. That was an unfortunate effect of the lighting and editing on some of the promotional shots.

Check out any of the video reviews people have done and you can see the blue-green is much lighter and more matte than the promo pics make it seem.

Kapitaenosavrvs

avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi I feel the same way about this Bayonyx, but i just know it from pictures and Videos. I would want to know, where you ordered it. Especially, since the 2021 Figures are not officially available in Germany at the Moment. Or did that change? I am really positive about the sculpt and final Figure.

Gwangi

Quote from: Kapitaenosavrvs on January 19, 2021, 06:17:40 PM
avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi I feel the same way about this Bayonyx, but i just know it from pictures and Videos. I would want to know, where you ordered it. Especially, since the 2021 Figures are not officially available in Germany at the Moment. Or did that change? I am really positive about the sculpt and final Figure.

avatar_Kapitaenosavrvs @Kapitaenosavrvs, I got my Baryonyx directly from Safari's website.

austrosaurus

Quote from: Shane on January 19, 2021, 02:36:25 PM

I cannot speak to your other complaints about the Spinosaurus, but as far as the paint job - it is not metallic at all. That was an unfortunate effect of the lighting and editing on some of the promotional shots.

Check out any of the video reviews people have done and you can see the blue-green is much lighter and more matte than the promo pics make it seem.

Ah okay then, I don't watch video reviews so I wouldn't have known. I still don't think the blue is a particularly good choice but it's a lot better if it isn't as metallic as it seems.

Shane

Quote from: austrosaurus on January 21, 2021, 09:39:02 AM
Quote from: Shane on January 19, 2021, 02:36:25 PM

Ah okay then, I don't watch video reviews so I wouldn't have known. I still don't think the blue is a particularly good choice but it's a lot better if it isn't as metallic as it seems.

I can appreciate it's not everyone's cup of tea, but honestly when I look at the Spinos on my shelf, I see nothing but a lot of browns, reds, oranges, maybe a bit of green here and there.

Just my opinion, but I think the blue will help it pop out on the shelf amongst its peers, and makes a decent amount of sense for a semi-aquatic creature as well.

GojiraGuy1954

I'll never get the appeal of that awful new spino.
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

suspsy

I have yet to see a truly convincing argument from anyone as to why they think it's "awful."
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: