News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2021

Started by Halichoeres, October 05, 2020, 03:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MLMjp

What have they done to it?!  :o

The colors! The teeth!

EDIT: Ok, I exaggerated, but it definitely looks worse than what I hoped...

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Quote from: MLMjp on January 03, 2021, 08:06:47 PM

The colors! The teeth!
that Baryonyx looks beautiful to me
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

SenSx

Quote from: MLMjp on January 03, 2021, 08:06:47 PM

The colors! The teeth!

I agree that the colors on those pictures are way worse than the promo pics.
I alwready did not like the original paint job, but at least it was a bit more colorfull than this: very bland brown, ruining an otherwise very good sculpt, best Baryonyx sculpt on the market for me right now.

Stegotyranno420

Yes, Loon you are a life saver! I was bracing myself for a distorted and ugly baryonyx once I read a comment in another thread.  But this is amazing! Sure, the color nay be bland, but I like my figures looking beefy, it makes them look more natural. And it seems like safari actually did some good work with the teeth.  Im so glad we got such a great figure from a group of rather eh figures in my opinion
Thank you

PrimevalRaptor

I also came from another thread after I heard a comment about it and man I am glad, this isn't nearly as bad as it sounded. It is a shame how the browns are way more uniform and way less contrasted compared to the prototype, but it's still miles ahead of e.g. the Schleich one for me. Especially love how the skin folds look.

MLMjp

Quote from: Stegotyranno on January 03, 2021, 08:43:25 PM
Yes, Loon you are a life saver! I was bracing myself for a distorted and ugly baryonyx once I read a comment in another thread.  But this is amazing! Sure, the color nay be bland, but I like my figures looking beefy, it makes them look more natural. And it seems like safari actually did some good work with the teeth.  Im so glad we got such a great figure from a group of rather eh figures in my opinion
Thank you
Quote from: PrimevalRaptor on January 03, 2021, 08:46:15 PM
I also came from another thread after I heard a comment about it and man I am glad, this isn't nearly as bad as it sounded. It is a shame how the browns are way more uniform and way less contrasted compared to the prototype, but it's still miles ahead of e.g. the Schleich one for me. Especially love how the skin folds look.
Yeah, I probably exagerated, sorry, I fixed that.

But seriously.

Am I the only one who thinks the teeth look bad?

Duna

I like it very much! I've being waiting for a Baryonyx for too long! Nice colors, I also prefer them darker.

SenSx

Yes my first reaction was a bit over-exagerated.
I did not like the colors on the promo pics because too warm, colorfull, and now it is the opposite.
I do prefer colder or darker color scheme, but still I'm not impressed, it's a bit dull, could have been so much better.

Loon

As someone who actually owns it, I can confirm that the colors on this $15 toy are so bad that they did, in fact, kill my brother.

Jokes aside, it looks far better in hand. I think people are just overreacting because I used my crummy phone camera.

To those who's eyes haven't been melted by the war crime that is this figure's unholy paint job, a word of warning: the claws, at least on the two copies I've encountered, are incredibly pointy. I'm honestly shocked by how sharp both the toe and hand claws are. So, watch out.

bmathison1972

Looks fantastic Loon! My source should be getting it early next week, so I hope to have it in the near future.

Bread

I'll probably wait to grab this one until the other two 2021 figures are released. I still like this one though.

Edit: I also want to add that stability could be a future issue? Please let us know if this does become a problem avatar_Loon @Loon

Dusty Wren

RIP Loon's brother.

I wasn't originally going to pick this one up, but now I'm reconsidering. Doug Watson really did a fantastic job on the sculpt.
Check out my customs thread!

Wandering

It honestly looks pretty much exactly how I'd expect, I love the sculpt~

Dinoguy2

Absolutely loving the wrinkles and skin texturing on some of these recent Safari sculpts.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Kapitaenosavrvs

Quote from: Loon on January 03, 2021, 10:05:00 PM
As someone who actually owns it, I can confirm that the colors on this $15 toy are so bad that they did, in fact, kill my brother.

I can totally understand, that your Brother died from looking at this extremely cheap made Toy Figure. It seems that Safari completely lost interest in creating Dinosaurs.

Nevertheless, i am surprised how good it looks in the Photos. The sculpt and naturalistic Paintjob look really nice. I will definitly want to pick this up, when it comes to the Stores. Since i must be blind or noone asked before: Why do you have the Baryonyx that early? :D It is okay, if you do not want to answer, but it seems really interesting :D

Shane

The Baryonyx has been available from Safari Ltd's online store for a couple of weeks at least now.

I would imagine Loon ordered it direct from the online store.

Jose S.M.

I can't wait for the Daspletosaurus to come out so I can order it along the Baryonux and last year Concavenator and Qianzhousaurus (I'm probably repainting those two tbh but I like them a lot). I actually prefer the lighter tone in the back of the Baryonyx and the skind details looks amazing in Loon's pics.

Kapitaenosavrvs

Quote from: Shane on January 07, 2021, 08:23:17 PM
The Baryonyx has been available from Safari Ltd's online store for a couple of weeks at least now.

Oh wow. Did not know that. Oops, and thanks^^

Shane

Quote from: Kapitaenosavrvs on January 08, 2021, 01:40:17 PM
Quote from: Shane on January 07, 2021, 08:23:17 PM

Oh wow. Did not know that. Oops, and thanks^^

No worries! Now you know. And you can go grab your own!

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Loon on January 03, 2021, 10:05:00 PM

Damnnnn if the Bary did that then what would the Spino do
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: