News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2021

Started by Halichoeres, October 05, 2020, 03:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

TaranUlas

I have just received my Daspletosaurus and Baryonyx (As well as the Maned Wolf, Citipati, and Anzu that I ordered with them. The latter two are to replace my old ones which have begun to be unable to stand due to warping.) To be honest, it's hard for me to describe them beyond the typical things I always notice with Doug's figures. The scales are small although probably still too large for the scale, but the figures feel interesting for it. The feet are a little big, but it helps with them standing so I'm not complaining about it. There is a lot of detail within these sculpts and I really like their poses (I've gotten lucky and the teeth paint stayed on point pretty well. The rest of the paint is very well done.)

The Daspletosaurus in particular catches my eye a good bit thanks to the green and yellow pattern.

I'll probably not be picking up the Spinosaurus (I have 5 different Spinos on my shelf. PNSO's 2020 model satisfies me enough for the update.) I would recommend picking up the Baryonyx and Daspletosaurus if you have other figures from Safari LTD. They fit in just fine and are very good sized.

I'll take some pics and post them when I get the chance today. I want to get them together as well as next to some other figures (Collecta Baryonyx and 2019 Spino for Bary and 2016 Feathered rex and 2020 Qianzhousaurus for Daspleto.) If I remember correctly, they are 1:35 scale, right?

Concavenator

Congratulations, avatar_TaranUlas @TaranUlas! Congrats also to avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres who I see also got the new Safaris, and they're looking splendid.

Also, TaranUlas, if you happen to also have the 2019 Allosaurus, could you compare the Daspletosaurus to it? I think they're in a similar scale too  ???

TaranUlas

Quote from: Concavenator on February 28, 2021, 04:12:25 PM
Congratulations, avatar_TaranUlas @TaranUlas! Congrats also to avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres who I see also got the new Safaris, and they're looking splendid.

Also, TaranUlas, if you happen to also have the 2019 Allosaurus, could you compare the Daspletosaurus to it? I think they're in a similar scale too  ???

Here you go!

https://imgur.com/a/yzl474C

Also from double checking in the thread, both the Baryonyx and Daspletosaurus have been sculpted in 1:35 scale. This means they are in scale with:

• 2019 Allosaurus
  • 2019 Stegosaurus
  • 2019 Spinosaurus
  • 2020 Edmontosaurus
  • 2020 Sarcosuchus
  • 2020 Concavenator
  • 2020 Qianzhousaurus
  • 2020 Dilophosaurus
  • 2017 Feathered Tyrannosaurus rex
  • 2017 Giganotosaurus

Shonisaurus

When will the Safari 2021 news be available in urzeitshop? Does Miron know about that? or will they be available soon at shop.modellpferdeversand.de or at everythingdinosaur?

I am interested in daspletosaurus mainly and second and third in baryonyx and spinosaurus not because they are not pretty but because I have quite a few of them on my shelves.

On the other hand I hope that urzeitshop also commercializes the triceratops and tyrannosaurus with armor. I really like those two fantasy figures.

Halichoeres

Thanks! It didn't occur to me to post here, but considering lots of people probably don't read collection threads, here are some in-hand and comparison photos. http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3390.msg283714#msg283714

Nice photos, TaranUlas :)
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Concavenator

avatar_TaranUlas @TaranUlas Thanks!!  :)

Despite the few releases, it's a strong year for Safari.

Shonisaurus

Without a doubt the most attractive figures are the baryonyx and daspletosaurus by far. I am aware that either of the two figures can be worthy of a first place in the most beautiful dinosaur of the year 2021 by the Prehistoric Times magazine.

ceratopsian

avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus: Everything Dinosaur already has the Baryonyx available in stock and the Triceratops with armour.  (But not the Daspletosaurus yet.)

Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 28, 2021, 07:04:57 PM
When will the Safari 2021 news be available in urzeitshop? Does Miron know about that? or will they be available soon at shop.modellpferdeversand.de or at everythingdinosaur?

I am interested in daspletosaurus mainly and second and third in baryonyx and spinosaurus not because they are not pretty but because I have quite a few of them on my shelves.

On the other hand I hope that urzeitshop also commercializes the triceratops and tyrannosaurus with armor. I really like those two fantasy figures.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: ceratopsian on March 01, 2021, 12:30:43 PM
avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus: Everything Dinosaur already has the Baryonyx available in stock and the Triceratops with armour.  (But not the Daspletosaurus yet.)

Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 28, 2021, 07:04:57 PM

avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian Thanks for the information, dear friend.

SRF

Quote from: TaranUlas on February 28, 2021, 06:55:12 PM

Here you go!

Also from double checking in the thread, both the Baryonyx and Daspletosaurus have been sculpted in 1:35 scale. This means they are in scale with:

• 2019 Allosaurus
  • 2019 Stegosaurus
  • 2019 Spinosaurus
  • 2020 Edmontosaurus
  • 2020 Sarcosuchus
  • 2020 Concavenator
  • 2020 Qianzhousaurus
  • 2020 Dilophosaurus
  • 2017 Giganotosaurus

The 2018 Triceratops and Ankylosaurus are also in 1:35th scale.
But today, I'm just being father

SidB

The Malawisaurus isn't too far off either, at 1/40, more or less.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: SRF on March 01, 2021, 01:04:32 PM

Here you go!

• 2019 Allosaurus
  • 2019 Stegosaurus
  • 2019 Spinosaurus
  • 2020 Edmontosaurus
  • 2020 Sarcosuchus
  • 2020 Concavenator
  • 2020 Qianzhousaurus
  • 2020 Dilophosaurus
  • 2017 Giganotosaurus

The 2018 Triceratops and Ankylosaurus are also in 1:35th scale.
Quote from: SidB on March 01, 2021, 03:35:10 PM
The Malawisaurus isn't too far off either, at 1/40, more or less.

Thanks for this! I like to keep to a consistent scale (it's one of the ways I keep myself from over-spending), so these lists are always helpful.

Dinoguy2

Here you go!

• 2019 Allosaurus
  • 2019 Stegosaurus
  • 2019 Spinosaurus
  • 2020 Edmontosaurus
  • 2020 Sarcosuchus
  • 2020 Concavenator
  • 2020 Qianzhousaurus
  • 2020 Dilophosaurus
  • 2017 Giganotosaurus

I feel like I harp on this a lot, but... yeah, I have to take serious issue with Stegosaurus being included in this list. You simply can't take the measurements of the largest known specimen of a genus and apply them to a figure based on the proportions of a much smaller specimen. It's like saying a 5 inch long figure of an elephant calf is 1:35 because it's in the size range of an average elephant. Not that Sophie is a "baby", but even subadult dinosaurs could differ quite a bit in appearance from larger adults. See also: big Triceratops figures with prominent epiossifications (a subadult characteristic) being scaled up as if they are massive adults.

Seriously, take a look at this photo and tell me that massive 2019 Stegosaurus figure is 1:35. (Based on Safari's stated length of 8.5 inches, it's actually 1:25, because Sophie is 5.6m long).
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

SidB

Thanks for this reminder, D @Dinoguy2 ; it's the reason that I stopped being too absorbed into the 1/35-1/40 scale thing, which the bulk of my collection embraces. I've long since realized that I actually have more than a few in the 1/22-1/32 range that have "infiltrated" their way into my dioramas ... and so what! They look right at home, such as many of Watson's splendid ceratopsians and others. I just either ignore it (willing suspension of disbelief) or pretend that these are manifestations of specimens of indeterminate growth (jumbo examples of their kind). Lot more fun this way - allows me to display some really beautiful, but somewhat oversized figures.

TaranUlas

Quote from: Doug Watson on September 28, 2018, 04:53:42 AM
Quote from: Faelrin on September 27, 2018, 06:39:11 PM
Edit: avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson Would you be able to tell us the scales of these new sculpts? Assuming you haven't already and I missed it.

Woolly Rhinoceros/Coelodonta: 1:30
Citipati: 1:13
Styracosaurus: 1:25
Camarasaurus: 1:40
Prestosuchus: 1:20
Allosaurus: 1:35
Spinosaurus: 1:35
Stegosaurus: 1:35
Pteranodon: 1:22
Carnotaurus: 1:30

D @Dinoguy2 I based it on this from the 2019 Safari thread. I did not see anything recently to suggest that this had changed and so I went with it.

And no, I agree, S @SidB . I don't get too fussy about scale for the overall collection, but I do like knowing what each pieces' scaling is (Sadly my hands are unsteady so I frequently wind up with different scalings than everyone else. Plus I typically use head to tail due to that so for incomplete specimens... it's problematic, but its my collection and it's more organized based on time periods than anything else anyway.) Usually that's just so I can try and get a modern animal in my collection to match up with it scaling wise for pictures since it's a lot easier to show how massive a Triceratops is when you can put it next to an African elephant and such.

Stegotyranno420

D @Dinoguy2 I knew there was something off and wrong about that stego

Leyster

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on March 02, 2021, 04:35:46 PM
There's nothing wrong with it, it's the single better preserved Stegosaurus specimen. The ones based on composites (and so prone to errors) are the others.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Leyster on March 02, 2021, 05:28:59 PM
There's nothing wrong with it, it's the single better preserved Stegosaurus specimen. The ones based on composites (and so prone to errors) are the others.
No i mean in the sense of scale/maturity

Dinoguy2

Quote from: SidB on March 02, 2021, 12:59:03 PM
Thanks for this reminder, D @Dinoguy2 ; it's the reason that I stopped being too absorbed into the 1/35-1/40 scale thing, which the bulk of my collection embraces. I've long since realized that I actually have more than a few in the 1/22-1/32 range that have "infiltrated" their way into my dioramas ... and so what! They look right at home, such as many of Watson's splendid ceratopsians and others. I just either ignore it (willing suspension of disbelief) or pretend that these are manifestations of specimens of indeterminate growth (jumbo examples of their kind). Lot more fun this way - allows me to display some really beautiful, but somewhat oversized figures.

Agreed, I pretty much gave up on scale and just collect whatever looks good. I do still have a roughly 1:35 display, which I cycle figures in and out of, because I like the idea of a little "museum" where you can really see comparitive sizes. And I know a lot of people still do try to collect a single scale. What bothers me is people people posting scale info (not talking about this thread, mostly see this on Facebook) that is just completely wrong, then when called out they will say "I don't care about the scale anyway" like, then why did you even post it? The answer seems to just be brand loyalty, people feel motivated to defend whatever nonsense scale information their favorite company said was "official".

link=topic=8972.msg284075#msg284075 date=1614706139]
[/quote]
Sophie is the best preserved, true. But also one of the smallest. And larger ones have a higher degree of compositing, with some that are REALLY bad (Denver Museum, AMNH) and some that are better (the new Smithsonian mount of the holotype). But the fact is that even if you control for composit parts, the larger specimens do look quite different. Compare the new Smithsonian mount, which is newer than Sophie and used it as a partial basis for updating, still has very different proportions in the legs and plates.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: