News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA--New for 2021

Started by suspsy, October 20, 2020, 05:09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flaffy

Really glad to see the Supreme Deluxe line is selling well enough to allow for a new giant pterosaur every year ;D
Though I'm not too interested in Pteranodon itself, it is still a very well made model, really digging the striking throat pouch. I wonder how the Safari ltd version stacks up to this figure. Interesting to see different interpretations of the beak curvature between the two companies.

And YES, FINALLY, a proper Megalosaurus figure. A surprisingly overlooked genus despite it's status as the first ever dinosaur described.
I hope a deluxe Megalosaurus will be made in the future, given as to how it's arch nemesis Iguanodon is in deluxe scale.

Not a fan of the Neovenator, like, at all. Gonna be sticking to my Favorite Co. version this time.
The clown feet are far too obvious. Filaments are awkward and poorly executed. The legs are devoid of muscle mass. I really don't understand why CollectA sculpts their theropods this way in recent years. The issue only seems to get worse and worse. :-\

Another thing I find strange is how CollectA absolutely refuses to retire their old Procon models, even when new versions of the species are constantly being released.

Carnoking

I'll agree with Flaffy on a lot of that. To be honest, the first wave didn't particularly interest me, but this wave is a lot more exciting. The pteranodon is simply awesome. It's so great it might get me collecting the other large scale pterosaurs to keep alongside each other.

The megalosaurus is very intriguing to me. I can't put my finger on exactly why, but it does have me quite excited.

But yeah, the neovenator is the weakest link here in my opinion, glad I'm not the only one who wasn't a fan of the lanky legs and big feet. I kind of like the iguana aesthetics but overall, it's not nearly as exciting as the other two. I don't know, guess I'm going to have to start collecting more CollectA figures  :-\

Jose S.M.

I'm only getting the Megalosaurus on this batch, Pteranodon looks great but I have the Safari one and I'm very pleased with it, this one probably is too big for me. I don't really like the Neovenator and I have the Favorite one already. Very nice to see the theropods with lips and closed mouths, now they just need to not skip leg day!

The Prehistoric Traveler

Other than the mamenchisaurus and the pteranodon (very good) i haven't seen anything interesting regarding the collecta 2021 wave (the theropods look rather clunky). I hope there will be some interesting ones still to come.

Faelrin

I think I love the Megalosaurus the most of these because of how long overdo this one was. I don't care that the genus is fragmentary, because it was one of the first dinosaurs ever discovered, was the first truly named, and should have a place in one's collection for that reason (or at least mine). The closed mouth, with lips is a great touch. Granted, I will admit I am a little perplexed by the Psittacosaurus like quills near the tail, and the Schleich styled feet (or rather the first toes look rather long and splayed back to me?), but still it looks great. I gotta agree with avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy though. I hope this gets the Deluxe treatment at some point.

Edit: Okay so those don't seem to be quills, but rather spines if going by the Everything Dinosaur article. Same goes for the Neovenator. I guess I probably should have read it first, but still the shape of them definitely gives me Psittacosaurus vibes. Perhaps also worth mentioning that the original Megalosaurus and Neovenator they made will be retired as well come next year.

The new Pteranodon is amazing as well. Beautiful choice of colors and wonderful sculpt detail. Even though I am really taken by the 2019 Safari Ltd one I finally got this year, I may have to add this one to the collection eventually as well. The pouch is such an awesome detail too. Only a few reveals at this point, but if I had to guess this is definitely one of their highlights of the year. Never seen the tail on Pteranodon done like that before either. A fresh touch.

Not the biggest fan of the Neovenator, but granted it's not a genus I'm particularly interested in collecting much to begin with. I don't think it looks terrible though. I do like the color scheme on it, all the same I can't help but be reminded of this year's Saltriovenator.

And now looking forward to next week's releases. Hopefully we get to see what that mysterious Paleozoic invertebrate will be, and if they have done any new Spinosaurus and/or Dilophosaurus based on the new studies.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

The Prehistoric Traveler

I hope we are getting a/the ‬Xiphactinus Everything Dinosaur teased a while ago.

Bokisaurus

Wow, great new reveals!
I absolutely love the pteranodon, simple beautiful and I love that they added something different on the tail.

Megalosaurus finally gets a nice figure, way overdue. Love the color, very striking without being overly flashy.

Neovenator is interesting little one, I like the iguana-like colors.
I have no issue with the slightly oversized feet, it's understandable due to it not having a base. Proportion wise, it's not that far from Safari"s.
Overall very exciting group. Now we wait another week! I'm hoping we get a ceratopsian, a fish, a mammal, in addition to the marine  invertebrate😃

triceratops83

God I love Collecta. I wonder if the Pteranodon is supposed to be in the same series as the 1:15 Tyrannosaurus and Triceratops? I WAS hoping for a new addition to that group.

EDIT - just saw the first post where it says "Supreme", so I guess it is. That's so cool they're continuing with that range. Here's hoping for a supreme Edmontosaurus next year.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Arctinus

Wow, I really like that pteranodon. :O Though it seems it's way too big for my collection. Will have to check out the Safari one.

The other two are ok, too, I guess, but haven't really caught my interest.

ceratopsian

I'm very satisfied with CollectA's line up so far.

I'm thrilled to see another Supreme Deluxe pterosaur announced. It's slightly bad timing in terms of genus for me personally, as I have a resin of Pteranodon from M-See on preorder. But never mind, I won't pass on this one. I like the colour scheme very much too. It will be a difficult choice whether to have it repainted to join the flock of other Supremes. And it's too big to accommodate two!

I like the chunky look of Megalosaurus. This is a dinosaur I would gladly buy a model of for all the historical reasons articulated by avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin. Plus I'm a Brit!

I don't find the Neovenator so appealing personally. The hind legs look very spindly. But I'm no expert. Also theropods are not the focus of my collection.  I'll make a final decision when I see in-hand photos and reports from other members next year.

Edit: I read the Everything Dinosaur blog after posting this in hasty excitement and I see they describe the Pteranodon as Deluxe, not Supreme.

Halzk

CollectA are really spoiling us this year ;D! All of their 2021 figures looks amazing.
The Neovenator has great repaint potential.

PrimevalRaptor

Ohhh now this is a very nice batch!

The Pteranodon is great, love the filaments and throat pouch as well as the texture. CollectA really is great at pterosaurs.
Megalosaurus is probably the hypest of the bunch to me, we've been due a good model of it for ages and I love it! Simple but not boring coloration, a natural pose without it screaming for blood, lips and some great detail on the face! The spikes/quills are a bit speculative, but personally I like them quite a bit.
Neovenator also was in need of an update and it looks pretty neat as well. Pose looks a tiny bit weird on the first look but I'm sure it'll grow on people.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

At last a scene figure of Megalosaurus, long awaited.
The Neovenator isn't great but will go nicely with the medium sized Iguanodon, Baryonyx et al.
The Pteranodon looks gorgeous though I prefer to get as few of those huge pterosaur figures as I can.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Dinoxels

The Neovenator is an easy pass for me, the Megalosaurus looks okay, and the Pteranodon just looks meh in my books.
(I just really want a deluxe scale Dilo  ;D)
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Quote from: Dinoxels on November 13, 2020, 10:56:06 AM
The Neovenator is an easy pass for me, the Megalosaurus looks okay, and the Pteranodon just looks meh in my books.
(I just really want a deluxe scale Dilo  ;D)
you mean Dilong?
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Shonisaurus

Magnificent figures the pteranodon of Collecta leaves the other reproductions of toy dinosaurs in a sufficiently diminished state. I honestly think it is the best toy dinosaur figure that exists of pteranodon. The paint colors are very vivid and varied and at the same time personal conservative. I'm glad they made a nicely sculpted and beautifully detailed pteranodon. Honestly, what I like a lot about this figure is that it was not given "humanized" eyes, but more real animal ones, that is a point in favor of Collecta. She is a very great figure, everything has been said on my part. I have almost no words.

The megalosaurus is perhaps also the best megalosaurus that exists on the market, surpassing the vintage version of Invicta, although taking into account that this cult figure for which we are collectors is more than thirty years old at least so it is a great figure And as the everythingdinosaur article already says, there is nothing to say on my part about the dorsal spines because it is fully explained in a scientific way, the same as the pteranodon tail. I really like that this figure is with its mouth closed sincerely in my case I love theropods very much without the mouth open and that it is not articulated as they are not in their standard collection the colors are conservative another point in their favor and the same as the pteranodon and the neovenator have given him animal eyes, in this case a dinosaur. I also have to emphasize that it is a fair tribute to one of the first dinosaurs found together with the iguanodon.

On the other hand, the neovenator leaves his counterpart from the same brand in a position of shame, he is a great figure although I have to admit that he is not the better than his counterpart from Favorite. For me that is the best version of neovenator that exists in the market, although obviously not available to the majority of the general public and many members of the DTF. That also does not mean that to affirm that the Collecta neovenator is an outstanding figure and honestly, it is the colors or the paint placed on the head, eyes and hozic, which favors him a lot and the same is the red crest in the middle of the body. I am sincerely aware that Collecta is a brand that will never disappoint us and that it has improved a lot since its founding date and obviously its evolution can be observed by comparing current figures, for example megalosaurus and current standard neovenator of the year 2021 with their counterparts of the year. behind. Those figures from 2006 to 2010 look like old vintage figures compared to this year.

Dinoguy2

I'm so torn on these. The Pteranodon in particular. It's by far the most accurate Pteranodon ever made. I'm extremely excited to see that somebody, anybody, FINALLY got the skull right, rather than making a female P. longiceps with a male crest. My problem with it is that number 1... it's really ugly. I'm not saying all animals have to be beautiful or that it's inaccurate because it's ugly, but the sculpt combined with the brown, yellow, and dull red just make this look like one of the bigger, grosser looking birds. Which is fine, again. But this is also a piece of art and if I'm buying a huge deluxe model I want it to look nice, like their previous pterosaurs. Smooth out the fuzz, brighten or higher the contrast of the colors, something.

Second, the wings are so bad they almost nullify the amazing accuracy of the head. Apparently CollectA missed the last twenty years of research on pterosaur wing anatomy. The bright yellow on those zombie arm bones just highlights the problem even more.

I like the tail tassel but don't love it. I wish they'd gone farther with their speculation. They obviously know there's some extreme weirdness going on with Pteranodon's tail, but they chose to convey this with just a little tuft. I'd love it if they'd have added some kind of big soft tissue vane, or extremely long tail streamers, or something. A little tuft doesn't seem like adequate explanation for whatever the heck the tail skeleton corresponds with.

I might still get this Pteranodon because I have little hope anybody will make a better one anytime soon (PNSO? Eofauna? Please?). But I passed on the 2019 Safari one because there is no excuse for an inaccurate representation of one of the best known pterosaurs of all time, and I guess that still applied here, though maybe I shouldn't let the perfect be the enemy of the good  ;D I'll buy an inaccurate figure if the accuracy issue is relatively minor and if it looks nice. The CollectA fails the second one for me here, the Safari passes both.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

suspsy

D @Dinoguy2, could you please elaborate on the wing inaccuracies? I'm quite curious now.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Bread

I am usually not a fan of CollectA, their color choices and pose bother me at times. However, that may change due to this years releases :o

The Pteranodon's alright, like most people have previously said, I have Safari's so this an easy pass for me. I still think it is a good figure, but the scale is what also drives me away from it.
The Megalosaurus is absolutely fantastic! FINALLY!!!!!! I will definitely be picking up this figure. I love the colors, as well as the pose.
The Neovenator is a pass for me, the pose bothers me a bit, but it is still a good figure. I may even change my mind when in hand photos are posted. Who knows!

Also, I never commented my thoughts on the other reveals so....
The sauropod corpse is a pass for me. I don't like corpses, unless its for a base.
The Mamenchisaurus is a great figure, but I am going to have to decide whether or not I will break my rule of thumb for collecting sauropod figures. Especially since this is a deluxe figure and I don't like collecting sauropods due to their size taking up my shelf space :-\
The Kamuysaurus is definitely a pickup. I love the colors and the pose is basic, which I like.

I like what I see, and this definitely makes me more interested in CollectA figures. I still have yet to pickup their Carnotaurus.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: suspsy on November 13, 2020, 01:17:08 PM
D @Dinoguy2, could you please elaborate on the wing inaccuracies? I'm quite curious now.

I'm trying to avoid the term shrink-wrapping because I think it paints too broad a brush but... they're shrink wrapped. The wings of pterosaurs were full of pneumatic tissue surrounding the skeletal elements. You would not see the limbs bones sticking out like a bat or bird wing.

https://www.pterosaur.net/anatomy.php
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: