News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA--New for 2021

Started by suspsy, October 20, 2020, 05:09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duna

What I can't stand are fixed bases, I won't ever buy such a figure even if it's the best updated rendition in the market. I can bear with a few removable bases, but only in bigger models and only if the figures alone can stand by themselves. The only one I have is the PNSO Amargasaurus and because I liked the figure a lot.

I don't mind oversized feet if they are proportionate with the legs and don't look bad in the figure, for example, Safari carnotaurus and allosaurus, which I like a lot. But there are some figures that don't have such noticeable oversized feet (even if they are a little) and stand on perfectly. For example, Eofauna giganotosaurus stands in only ONE foot and HALF of the other. An impresively balanced figure is Papo ceratosaurus, that can stand in only ONE foot and one NAIL, even if it's designed to stand with the help of one nail of the hand.
On the other hand, I have some figures that wouldn't stand at all, for example my PNSO Corythosaurus, though having four limbs.

Bernie Brontosaurus

Lol my Giganotosaurus definitely doesn't stand well at all and I know a lot of other annoyed people who have the same problem.

Shonisaurus

In my case I prefer fixed bases for theropods. Collecta made very precise theropods with fixed bases and they are honestly more practical than the removable bases of the Chinese and Japanese brands even if the figures are still standing. I think it was a mistake on Collecta's part to remove the fixed bases. Time is giving me the reason.

On the other hand, I would like theropods not to have a jointed jaw. Much more beautiful theropods can be made without a jointed jaw and even with a closed mouth and at the same time the mouth can be displayed in great detail. I understand that it is another mistake in my honest and humble opinion that different brands of toy dinosaurs with jointed jaws make theropods, even when they are intended for children. I believe that children can appreciate with equal enthusiasm a theropod or prehistoric animal without articulated body parts and the same happens to an enthusiastic and passionate collector like me.

Except for David Silva's BoTM Prehistoric Animal Figures and Kaiyodo's Tyrannosaurus, I'm honestly not passionate about prehistoric animals with removable base and articulated body parts.

Renecito

I asked for a Dilophosaurus in the Hopes & Dreams thread but I'm really dissapointed. The rest are nice.
Favorite Brands:              Favorite Dinosaurs:
1 - PNSO                        1 - Carnotaurus
2 - Vitae                         2 - Spinosaurus/Suchomimus
3 - Eofauna                     3 - Therizinosaurus
4 - Carnegie Line             4 - Deinocheirus
5 - CollectA                     5 - Gigantoraptor

Bread

I honestly like the Dilophosaurus. The colors on it is what really interest me. I have to say the slightly large feet are not that bad. I've seen worse, and these are from bad.

SidB

Quote from: Bread on December 02, 2020, 12:58:40 PM
I honestly like the Dilophosaurus. The colors on it is what really interest me. I have to say the slightly large feet are not that bad. I've seen worse, and these are from bad.
My approach to somewhat or overly large feet is this: any dinosaur that is not in storage is on display. All of the displayed specimens go in one of several large dioramas that use moss and rock as a floor, so those with big feet have these nestled into the terrain. Presto - hidden, feetwise.

Bread

Quote from: SidB on December 02, 2020, 01:53:17 PM
Quote from: Bread on December 02, 2020, 12:58:40 PM
My approach to somewhat or overly large feet is this: any dinosaur that is not in storage is on display. All of the displayed specimens go in one of several large dioramas that use moss and rock as a floor, so those with big feet have these nestled into the terrain. Presto - hidden, feetwise.
I like that approach to the feet of the Dilophosaurus. I have thought about make dioramas, but unfortunately college has been keeping me extremely busy.

I noticed that there are no bases to any models this year? I would have preferred a base for the Dilophosaurus, but it is what it is. Still a nice figure, definitely prefer this one over Safari's.

Shonisaurus

I don't exactly like the paint color of the dilophosaurus. I have to admit from my honest opinion that the paint color of the dilophosaurus from Collecta 2020 is not very lucky, but on the other hand I emphasize again, it is good news for my personal tastes that the dilophosaurus is made without a jointed jaw.

This figure has its pros and cons, but what perhaps discourages me from collecting this figure are its excessively dilated feet for obvious reasons of not having attached bases as happened in the past with the Collecta theropods.

terrorchicken

I love the doedicurus! That dilophosaurus... not so much.

Appalachiosaurus

I'll have to wait till some reviews pop up so I can get sense of their sizes, but that Doedicurus, Elasmosaurus, Pravitoceras, and Xiphactinus look great. Those Theropods though, yeesh, I don't mind the colors or tacky spiky bits as much as the fact that they just look really low quality.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Sim on November 28, 2020, 07:05:21 PM
It's disappointing that CollectA seems not to want to make dromaeosaurids and troodontids and instead release allosauroid after allosauroid.

avatar_Sim @Sim Considering how their theropods have been turning out, would you want them handling your favorite taxa?

As for me, I'm planning to add 5 of these:
Pravitoceras
Xiphactinus
Kamuysaurus
Megalosaurus
Mamenchisaurus
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

stargatedalek

I for one am fine with the theropods, and I think they are decidedly a step in the right direction.

Bases can be fine if they are done unobtrusively (IE subtle clear plastic discs), or even on rare occasions add to a figure if they are particularly detailed or offer interesting options to display the figure in unusual ways. However, they can be incredibly detrimental if they are both obtrusive and bland, which frankly CollectA's big chunks of yellow plastic I find are. I would much rather have oversized feet than CollectA's bases. I'm still mad about the fakeout a few years ago with the different looking bases in promo shots that got swapped for the usual ones in production.

Neovenators patterns remind me a bit too much of clown lips, but aside from that I'd say their biggest sin is just not being interesting to me (largely due to taxa choices and scale). I'm in the small minority here for collecting in such a large scale as 1:12, so a Megalosaurus that would end up being the size of a large dog just doesn't interest me. But a maniraptoran, bird, or, dare a girl dream, a certain particularly spikey Oceanian turtle, if done in similar sizes would be ideal.

Aside from the feet, they also suffer from leaning forwards and not upright enough, though this is something even professional reconstructions from papers and museums are still proving slow to adopt. Another reason to love the recent Safari Tyrannosaurs!

And they do fall into a personal pet peeve, one normally reserved for Papo, which is adding display structures (large spines in this case) only to do essentially nothing with them. Those structures would be huge on animals of these sizes, they should have bright colours and sharp contrasting patterns, otherwise they're a waste of resources to grow so big.

But even with those notes I think ultimately they're fine. Poses are inherently that, just poses, and even if these weren't actually the animals comfortable neutral standing positions they could have stood like this is they were doing an action that required it. And at the prince range CollectA sells at one can only expect so much from the paint apps, that's not going to impact my likelihood to buy them since those tweaks can be made rather easily.

Sim

Quote from: Halichoeres on December 05, 2020, 02:37:33 AM
avatar_Sim @Sim Considering how their theropods have been turning out, would you want them handling your favorite taxa?

Hehe!  I'd like them to try in the hope that they could make them better than the ones they've made so far if they get the elegance of a dromaeosaurid or troodontid right.  I don't know why CollectA keeps making allosauroids, most of them haven't been very good.  Though you make a good point that species I like could be done poorly by CollectA.

JimoAi

How big do Megalosaurus grow to and what scale is the Megalosaurus? Will buy it if it's the right scale

Wallnut

Quote from: JimoAi on January 15, 2021, 09:35:30 AM
How big do Megalosaurus grow to and what scale is the Megalosaurus? Will buy it if it's the right scale

9 meters or 29.53 feet in lenght but I don't know the dimensions.

JimoAi

Quote from: Triton TR on January 15, 2021, 09:45:20 AM

Some sources said 20ft. So which is which?

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: JimoAi on January 15, 2021, 09:48:43 AM
Quote from: Triton TR on January 15, 2021, 09:45:20 AM

Some sources said 20ft. So which is which?

According to the Wikipedia summary, most skeletal material seems to fall into the 6m range (pink in the diagram), while one specimen implies a larger 9m body (the red silhouette).

GojiraGuy1954

Yall are sleeping on the Dilo smh
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

JimoAi

Kapitaenosavrvs

After these hard Weeks (and coming months) of neverending new PNSO Figures, i remembered another Company i am happy about. Really looking forward to Collectas new Figures. Is there any News when the first Figures are going to the shelves?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: