News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mattel - New for 2021 (Image Heavy op)

Started by Faelrin, November 29, 2020, 10:20:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reuben03

long as my heart's beatin' in my chest
this old dawg ain't about to forget :')

Flaffy

For those who don't use FB:

Compared to Safari's version

Flaffy

Never expected Mattel of all companies to give us an allokotosaur, but yet here we are. Glad to see the obscure non-dinosaurian figures sell well enough for Mattel to continue making them!
This gives me hope that Mattel will one day make an Estemmenosuchus to accompany the Scutosaurus, like in the old Kenner days.

ItsTwentyBelow

Oh nice, that Shringasaurus is really cool! Hopefully won't be tough to find.

I am still hopeful that the Scutosaurus will get a rerelease/repaint, as I never saw that one in a store in the US. Was very glad that Target stocked the Postosuchus for a little while. That one was exciting to find after never seeing any of the multiple releases of the Kenner Ornithosuchus in person as a kid.

Reuben03

Quote from: Flaffy on August 11, 2021, 03:34:06 PM
Never expected Mattel of all companies to give us an allokotosaur, but yet here we are. Glad to see the obscure non-dinosaurian figures sell well enough for Mattel to continue making them!
This gives me hope that Mattel will one day make an Estemmenosuchus to accompany the Scutosaurus, like in the old Kenner days.

yessss estemmenosuchus would be awesome! hopefully in a nice hippo grey with smooth glandular skin. one of my favourite animals of allll time

BlueKrono

Now that it's August does anyone know when the Ouranosaurus will be released?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Faelrin

So that Tanystropheus that was leaked a while back ended up being legitimate. That's awesome. No sign of the rumored Lythronax, so if that doesn't show up for Dominion's toyline, it was either canceled or from a fake leak to begin with (of which there has been no shortage of). Glad to see the Kentrosaurus is releasing after all, and we are also getting Brooklyn and Sammy finally. If I had to guess these will probably release early next year, until Dominion's toyline shows up (possibly April like in 2018?). The rest are easy skips for me (and glad for it with my dwindling space), though I will say I do rather like that Mononykus repaint, and I'm glad to see it returning in the line. The minimal amount of new species so far also makes this easier on space for me to prepare for next year's onslaught of releases, never mind the distribution issues that are still likely going to plague the smaller figures here, meaning I'll need to pay above retail once again from having to resort to sourcing them elsewhere.

avatar_BlueKrono @BlueKrono Wave one of the Dino Escape just started getting released in the US. I imagine it maybe a few months from now, depending on this whole cargo ship situation. I would expect it to show up in other countries first, then eventually here with how the trends have been as of late. Maybe by October or November?

Edit: Pics added to the op from the article Collect Jurassic posted on their site.

https://www.collectjurassic.com/081121-2/
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Gwangi

The Kentrosaurus is the most exciting for me out of that lineup, but I'm also interested in the Shringasaurus. I might also pick up the Mononykus since I never got the first release of it. Once again I'm disappointed by the Allosaurus, I wish Mattel would do another re-sculpt of it. Of course acquiring any of them hinges on whether or not my local stores actually stock them.  ::)

Flaffy

I wonder why Mattel decided to release Kentrosaurus in the medium size "Roar Attack" line rather than the smaller "Fierce Force" line. It's one of the smallest stegosaurs afterall.

The Tanystropheus's sculpt looks pretty bad. Those oversized teeth reminds me of Masiakasaurus's unfortunate head sculpt, and makes the figure look too cartoony, even for the Jurassic franchise. Wish the neck was a little longer too.

The one good thing about Mattel's sculpt over Kenner's is that at least it is more true to the actual animal without those cobra fangs.

Reuben03

man that tany is a disappointment. why will i probably buy it anyway?

Carnoking

Great to see the rest of the CC gang in toy form, although the Brooklyn set sort of defeats the purpose of the Kenji story pack with the scooter and monolophosaurus if you ask me, especially since we already got a Kenji figure with the Scorpius rex. As far as the repaints go, I actually like most of them this time around. The styracosaurs looks decent, the green monolophosaurus might actually be my favorite color scheme on that mold yet, and the Masiakasaurus looks passable to me without that flat green paint job. Even the Rhamphorhynchus (which is a sculpt I never really cared for) looks pretty cool with those colors. Now, will I be buying these repaints? Maybe not, especially those umpteenth raptors but at least most of the new color schemes look fairly decent for once.

As far as the new stuff goes, Kentrosaurus is looking pretty well done if a bit bland in the color department (still better than the savage strike stegosaur they revealed a little bit ago, I forget its name). I'm also a little disappointed that the Shringasaurus is a wild pack and not a savage strike but oh well. And as for that Tanystropheus? For years now, the Mattel Tapejara has been my all-time least favorite original sculpt from them. I think it has just been massively dethroned!!

Reuben03

Quote from: Carnoking on August 11, 2021, 07:04:46 PM
And as for that Tanystropheus? For years now, the Mattel Tapejara has been my all-time least favorite original sculpt from them. I think it has just been massively dethroned!!

yeahhh it sucks i was hyped for more marine reptiles.

oh well.

suspsy

I don't know why people seem so surprised that the Tanystropheus looks derpy. Strikes me as being pretty much par for the course as far as Mattel goes.

Hopefully I'll be able to find a Styracosaurus and an Allosaurus finally. And if the Lythronax does indeed turn out to have been a hoax, then I'm doubly relieved to have snagged that Tarbosaurus for my niece.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

PrimevalRaptor

Not gonna lie, I love that Tanystropheus, looks straight out of Primeval lmao
For more accurate ones there's always the Safari one luckily but I really love that Mattel is bringing those more obscure animals into the spotlight, same with Shringasaurus.
For a toy line this is super cool imo

Gwangi

The Tanystropheus doesn't look any worse than the Kenner one, with it's weird viper fangs. That said, I have no real desire for the Mattel one.

I wish the Styracosaurus were larger, like the size of the other Mattel ceratopsians.

MLMjp

Shringasaurus...I wonder who in Mattel decided to pick this one for the toyline, sometimes their species choices are odd, if anything I would expect them to do less obscure species. Since I rarely collect archosaurus I wont be getting this one, but good for those who like it.

Great, the Kentrosaurus will be released, cant wait for this one.

I kinda like the red Masiakasaurus, the new colors make the sculpt less worse. Shame about those teeth on the Tanystropheus, since I like the rest of the figure. Good to see the rest of the Camp Cretaceous characters, even if I wont get them.

I wont be getting it, but I like the Styracosaurus repaint.

And Mattel, please, make a new Allosaurus sculpt, proportions just get worse with each remold.
Quote from: Flaffy on August 11, 2021, 06:13:55 PM
I wonder why Mattel decided to release Kentrosaurus in the medium size "Roar Attack" line rather than the smaller "Fierce Force" line. It's one of the smallest stegosaurs afterall.
Probably because they already have the Chialingosaurus in that range.

Reuben03

Quote from: PrimevalRaptor on August 11, 2021, 08:45:04 PM
Not gonna lie, I love that Tanystropheus, looks straight out of Primeval lmao
For more accurate ones there's always the Safari one luckily but I really love that Mattel is bringing those more obscure animals into the spotlight, same with Shringasaurus.
For a toy line this is super cool imo

this has been done and it was far better haha

my only issue is the teeth, the neck and limbs aren't great but its those teeth. ew.

otherwise its ok!

Carnoking

Quote from: suspsy on August 11, 2021, 08:36:41 PM
I don't know why people seem so surprised that the Tanystropheus looks derpy. Strikes me as being pretty much par for the course as far as Mattel goes.

I don't know, I think Mattel have shown that they are more than capable at making some pretty strong sculpts for creatures that lack a film counterpart. The Metriacanthosaurus, Scutosaurus, Postosuchus, Protoceratops, Irritator, Albertosaurus, and Quetzalcoatlus among others all look like they could hang with Mattel's strongest offerings. I will agree that most of their "originals" are kind of middle-ground to low-end, and even the stronger examples I mentioned are not without their faults, but very very few strike me as looking as ridiculous and poorly done as that Tanystropheus.

Reuben03

Quote from: Carnoking on August 11, 2021, 09:55:44 PM
Quote from: suspsy on August 11, 2021, 08:36:41 PM

I don't know, I think Mattel have shown that they are more than capable at making some pretty strong sculpts for creatures that lack a film counterpart. The Metriacanthosaurus, Scutosaurus, Postosuchus, Protoceratops, Irritator, Albertosaurus, and Quetzalcoatlus among others all look like they could hang with Mattel's strongest offerings. I will agree that most of their "originals" are kind of middle-ground to low-end, and even the stronger examples I mentioned are not without their faults, but very very few strike me as looking as ridiculous and poorly done as that Tanystropheus.

i'll second that! (especially the albertosaurus, that was suuuuperb)

the plesiosaurus was one of their best and showed that they were good at marine reptiles, it's a shame they missed the mark with this one.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: