News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mattel - New for 2021 (Image Heavy op)

Started by Faelrin, November 29, 2020, 10:20:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WalkingWithBeasts

I hope these new releases pave the way for more Palaeozoic creatures in the future.
Walking With Beasts is the best palaeo media documentary and no one can persuade me otherwise.

ItsTwentyBelow

Wow, some excellent previews! Though, I am mixed about the Tanystropheus. The execution is too much like the Dimetrodon, just slightly too cartoony for my taste. I have my old Kenner Tany in hand right now and while it isn't the most accurate, it sure looks more like a real animal than the new one. New one's legs are too chunky and eyes are too big overall. Maybe I'll like it better if I see it in person first. I do like the "ice" colors they gave it.

Excellent to have the rest of the CC crew, though too bad you have to get multiple repainted dinos to have them all. Multi-colored compies though mmm...stop it Mattel I'm just a simple man!

New stuff is starting to spread in western Washington. Last time I was at Target two weeks ago they had nothing, and today they had a great big new Jurassic World endcap filled with the newest wave of Baryonyx Limbo, Ceratosaurus, Mega Destroyer Stegosaurus, Colossal Toro, and also at least 8 copies of the new JP Ford Explorer with Rex and Tim among couple other new things. I guess the Carcharo will come after the Steg?

The kids sure must love the "Attitude" Snap Squad figures, because all I found was a single leftover glaring brown Dimorphodon sitting out of place on a different shelf, with no evidence of anymore Snap Squad anywhere. Definitely grabbed him, and the new roaring "Limbo" action figure.

I wonder when the Apatosaurus will be released?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: ItsTwentyBelow on August 12, 2021, 05:13:52 AM
Wow, some excellent previews! Though, I am mixed about the Tanystropheus. The execution is too much like the Dimetrodon, just slightly too cartoony for my taste. I have my old Kenner Tany in hand right now and while it isn't the most accurate, it sure looks more like a real animal than the new one. New one's legs are too chunky and eyes are too big overall. Maybe I'll like it better if I see it in person first. I do like the "ice" colors they gave it.

Excellent to have the rest of the CC crew, though too bad you have to get multiple repainted dinos to have them all. Multi-colored compies though mmm...stop it Mattel I'm just a simple man!

New stuff is starting to spread in western Washington. Last time I was at Target two weeks ago they had nothing, and today they had a great big new Jurassic World endcap filled with the newest wave of Baryonyx Limbo, Ceratosaurus, Mega Destroyer Stegosaurus, Colossal Toro, and also at least 8 copies of the new JP Ford Explorer with Rex and Tim among couple other new things. I guess the Carcharo will come after the Steg?

The kids sure must love the "Attitude" Snap Squad figures, because all I found was a single leftover glaring brown Dimorphodon sitting out of place on a different shelf, with no evidence of anymore Snap Squad anywhere. Definitely grabbed him, and the new roaring "Limbo" action figure.

I wonder when the Apatosaurus will be released?

Your lucky to find that one Dimorphodon. I went to 5 Targets before I had a complete wave.

I think the Apato is coming up for preorder 1/18 ?

Faelrin

avatar_ItsTwentyBelow @ItsTwentyBelow Carcharodontosaurus is part of the same wave as the Stegosaurus, so you may need to keep checking until you find one. Sounds like only the Stegosaurus is left because it is shelf warming possibly. I know that happened in 2018 with barely any Carnotaurus to be found anywhere. Most kids are gonna be drawn to it, ditto with collectors. Maybe having the JWE coloration may make it more recognizable too.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

ItsTwentyBelow

Thanks Faelrin, good to know it should also be on shelves. I really just want to see one in person first. Not too worried, as they are just starting to get stocked. Betting I will be able to find one.

What I really want to find are that Ouranosaurus, which I assume won't be until next wave, the Chialingosaurus (SO cool!), and the CC two packs, especially the Yaz and Kenji sets. Might look at one more Target today after work.

I visited a Walmart yesterday and it's weird since it seems like all Walmarts across the state of Washington (east and west) have kept their toy departments purposefully gutted for more than a year now. There was an entire wall of empty pegs, much more space than for just Jurassic stuff, and the only thing sitting on the shelf was one of the new Stompin' T. rexes. Nothing else. If anything I have more of an excuse to not shop at Walmart, because I always feel bad when I do. This is par for the course for Washington Walmarts pretty much ever since I found the Battle Damage Spinosaurus there almost a couple years ago.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: ItsTwentyBelow on August 13, 2021, 03:36:30 PM
Thanks Faelrin, good to know it should also be on shelves. I really just want to see one in person first. Not too worried, as they are just starting to get stocked. Betting I will be able to find one.

What I really want to find are that Ouranosaurus, which I assume won't be until next wave, the Chialingosaurus (SO cool!), and the CC two packs, especially the Yaz and Kenji sets. Might look at one more Target today after work.

Try walmart too, I saw one Yaz and one Darius set at a local store.

ItsTwentyBelow

Thanks for the tip, but darn it all, Walmart!  :P

Those 2 packs are not exclusive, are they?

Eocarcharia

All the Walmarts and Targets around me that I've checked in the past week are getting pretty well stocked. I have seen a few Carcharodontosaurus at Target now, along with most of the other new releases being reported. As far as I can remember, I have only seen the Wild Packs (including Zuniceratops) at Walmart so far. I have not seen any of the Human/Dino packs in stores here yet, or the Fierce Force assortment. They shouldn't be exclusives though, I think I saw the shelf tags for them at Target.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: ItsTwentyBelow on August 13, 2021, 03:48:32 PM
Thanks for the tip, but darn it all, Walmart!  :P

Those 2 packs are not exclusive, are they?

I have a spare Darius set I can send you if you want? I ordered 2 then found one in the wild before they got here, patience might be a virtue but it's not one of mine lol

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Prehistory Resurrection on August 11, 2021, 05:01:46 PM
https://youtu.be/b5QqEb5FGh4
When I saw that video in my notifications I thought the Allo was a Giga and my heart skipped a beat

God dammit I want to see that Giga

The allo is also very cool though
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

ItsTwentyBelow

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on August 13, 2021, 11:04:15 PM
I have a spare Darius set I can send you if you want? I ordered 2 then found one in the wild before they got here, patience might be a virtue but it's not one of mine lol

Thanks, but I will be patient. They're only just starting to be stocked.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: ItsTwentyBelow on August 14, 2021, 05:38:07 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on August 13, 2021, 11:04:15 PM

Thanks, but I will be patient. They're only just starting to be stocked.

No worries. I'll return these, I bet some other kid is looking and maybe I can help him out by "stocking" the store lol

ItsTwentyBelow

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on August 14, 2021, 02:32:51 PM
No worries. I'll return these, I bet some other kid is looking and maybe I can help him out by "stocking" the store lol

That sounds like the best plan! Good on you for making sure extra is available to kids in your area. I always limit myself to just one of whatever figure I am interested in primarily for this reason. Gotta make sure the target audience has access to JW toys too!

I think for now I will tide myself over with the T. Rex Escape set with the Explorer since it is abundant at Target for the moment. But I'm also tempted to let it ride and wait for a sale...ugh. Really, the set is not too overpriced, maybe by like $5 or so I'd reckon.

Gwangi

My local Target is FINALLY stocked. I picked up adult Bumpy and of course, the T. Rex Escape set. The price on the escape set was distressing, but I knew it was going to be. Honestly I wish I could have gotten it without the T. rex. Anyway, I bought it, because if I ended up missing out on it I would have been kicking myself.

suspsy

I'm glad I'm a very selective Mattel collector, not that it isn't frustrating regardless.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Gwangi

I consider myself a selective collector. Originally I wasn't going to get any of the human figures but now that they've been releasing virtually the entire original cast and vehicles, I've changed my mind. Still, if I were to actually share my entire Mattel collection I think a lot of people would be surprised at how small it really is.

SBell

Quote from: suspsy on August 11, 2021, 02:00:19 AM
Look, it's Shringasaurus.

https://www.facebook.com/109502787416527/posts/402377144795755/?d=n

Here's hoping it's not going to be as freaking scarce as that damn Scutosaurus. Which had better get a repaint next year.

I literally stumbled upon one in TRU exactly once, and never saw one again.

It was as bad as the Postosuchus--which I was only able to get through a trade.

ItsTwentyBelow

Has anyone seen this upcoming set? I noticed it listed on JPToys. First release of its kind I think. If you are just looking for two big rival dinos to smash together, this is the set! Probably not for me since I own both sculpts already, but another way to acquire a Spinosaurus for those who have not. No idea who will be stocking it or the price.

suspsy

Quote from: Gwangi on August 14, 2021, 10:25:21 PM
I consider myself a selective collector. Originally I wasn't going to get any of the human figures but now that they've been releasing virtually the entire original cast and vehicles, I've changed my mind. Still, if I were to actually share my entire Mattel collection I think a lot of people would be surprised at how small it really is.

The only human figures I ever bought were in a couple of those two-packs from the JP: Dinosaurs line, and I got rid of them the first chance I got. No use for them.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Gwangi

Quote from: suspsy on August 14, 2021, 11:31:27 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on August 14, 2021, 10:25:21 PM

The only human figures I ever bought were in a couple of those two-packs from the JP: Dinosaurs line, and I got rid of them the first chance I got. No use for them.

I never took myself for a human action figure kind of guy, but these are nice. Especially with the addition of characters like Hammond, Tim, Nedry. But an important caveat here, I actually like Jurassic Park, a lot. Easily one of my top ten favorite movies. Also, my daughter likes the humans and that gets her interested in the dinosaur toys too. I have no interest in the Amber Collection though, these are enough for me.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: