News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New For 2021

Started by Takama, December 02, 2020, 08:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KeU

Quote from: SenSx on December 30, 2020, 10:49:41 PM
Ok thanks that's reassuring.
Can't wait for the Parasaurolophus !
I also wonder what size will their rumored Pachycephalosaurus have.
You bet!
Like you, I was bothered by the big size difference.
Seems like a missed opportunity on PNSO's part.
But after a bit of digging, it appears that both are in scale. At least for now.

stargatedalek

Has there been anything about the other baby dinosaur sculpts that got shown? Are those cancelled or expected for later release?

Carnoking

More baby dinosaurs like A-Qi and Aaron, or more in their miniature line?

Flaffy

avatar_RobinGoodfellow @RobinGoodfellow Thanks for the heads up, found some higher definition pics.

Flaffy

Not sure how I feel about that protruded pubis and ischium. Feels like a step backwards from their chunky Tyrannosaurus.

I know Carnotaurus is a relatively gracile animal, but PNSO's reconstruction feels oddly spindly. Hopefully it's just the angles, but the tail seems really thin. Which is weird since PNSO should recognise the extremely well-developed caudofemoralis muscles present on the real animal.

The Rebor-esque over-detailing on the body is particularly noticeable on this model too. The body scales are again oversized, which is unfortunate since Carnotaurus is one of the few rare large theropods with well documented skin impressions.
Looking forward to seeing how this stacks up with the CollectA version, which is arguably one of the best Carnotaurus models out there. There are aspects that I prefer on the PNSO model (e.g. head sculpt, facial keratin, tucked in vestigial arms), and vice versa (e.g. more "naturalistic" sculpt, muscle mass, body scale size).

paleochris

Very nice Carnotaurus ! but... they decided to paint all their dinosaurs in the same way ??? that would explain such a speed? because we have the same paint scheme on the last 5 models, it's not very fun.

Dinoxels

Oh my goodness I am in love. Best Carnotaurus out on the market! While I think the top of skull is tad too curved up and the skinny tail as others have mentioned I am in love with this figure. The way that orange contrasts with the black is great! Since I just ordered Essien 2.0 and Gavin, in a few weeks I will order this guy and Rosana.
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Gothmog the Baryonyx

I think this Carnotaurus looks undernourished. My favourite is still the Safari. The only way I'll get this one, is if it is the same size as the Papo one so I can put that on my 1:35 to 1:45 scale main display. It is a nice sculpt though despite that.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

MLMjp

That it a sexy Carnotaurus!

Hoping it is 1:40-1:35 scale!

suspsy

Quote from: Flaffy on January 02, 2021, 10:03:01 AM
avatar_RobinGoodfellow @RobinGoodfellow Thanks for the heads up, found some higher definition pics.

I still prefer the CollectA version, but this is truly a remarkable toy!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Leyster

I agree with avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy and avatar_Gothmog the Baryonyx @Gothmog the Baryonyx , unless the photos are taken from a very bad angle, the bulk is totally off. Also proportions seems to match the old, long leg restoration (like the Dinostoreus skeleton), when the discovery of more closely related Abelisaurs gave Carnotaurs more normal proportions (melow, the most up to date skeletal, by randomdinos).

Scales too are too big, it's a shame because we have impressions for Carnotaurus, and they show 4-5 cm scales spaced 10 cm one from the other, and the space filled with 5mm scales, waaay smaller than PNSO overtextured model (below, from Bonaparte et al 1990)

If I had to get an outdated Carnotaurus, I'd go with the Carnegie, it has the same bulk and proportin issues but at least the scales are correct. At this moment, Safari's and to a minor degree Collecta's (hindlimb and caudal area should be more muscled too) Carnotaurus are the best (cheap) representations of this genus.
Such a waste.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Duna

Oh, what a () surprise! I can't believe that it has just the SAME EXACT colors as Rosana the Miragaia, but with the orange more extended than her.
Legs are nicely fat, if I was more bulky, for me it would look perfect. But that's just to find the little flaws because we are getting quite exigent according to accuracy, but it's a wonderful figure.
By now I'm fine with the Safari: bulky and skin accurate. But no doubt everything PNSO touches, becomes instantly less a toy and more a collectors figure, being accurate or not. Lovely to look at.
I'm just saving for the Parasaurolophus, my favorite dinosaur of all times.

Bread

I feel like I am one of the few who really really like this one. I love the colors especially, reminds me of a tiger.
However!
I may not purchase this one... Besides me having CollectA's already, I really am looking forward to the Parasaurolophus, if it is indeed true. Also, the Zhuchengtyrannus, which hopefully will be soon. I figured that PNSO would be somewhat of a mystery when it comes to releases, but I wish they would just release what they have already teased/partially revealed to us already...

Edit: ALSO, due to the size of this figure, I assume, that this will be ranging from about $23 to $30, which if true I may actually pick this one up. ;)

Gwangi

I like this one a lot but it certainly won't be a priority. My collection already has 6 Carnotaurus in it, including the fantastic sculpts by Doug Watson and Forest Rogers. Disappointed that it wasn't a different abelisaur.

paleochris

It is clear that the market is already full in Carnotaurus so this figure will not be the most expected or sensational addition to PNSO. However, I would also buy it even if I already have 6 Carnotaurus. I kind of regret the paint and the scales which could have been more fun but as you said, everything PNSO makes, becomes desirable and beautiful.

Kapitaenosavrvs

Quote from: paleochris on January 02, 2021, 02:51:06 PM
It is clear that the market is already full in Carnotaurus so this figure will not be the most expected or sensational addition to PNSO. However, I would also buy it even if I already have 6 Carnotaurus. I kind of regret the paint and the scales which could have been more fun but as you said, everything PNSO makes, becomes desirable and beautiful.

I would say, using a Palette of Colours for a Line of new Figures makes sense to me. This is one step to reduce production costs overall, so that we can buy high quality Figures at a really(!) good Price. At least for me. I love the CollectA Carnotaurus, but as always: just having a few Pictures is not enough for me to judge. The too big scales will be on every new Theropd Figure i guess, and i am okay with that. I think it is also a creative desicion, because these Figures aren't that big ( In General ), so he sculpted them a bit exaggerated to create a more detailed looking Figure. Like using a hefty wash with drybrushing on a Figure to create more Depth. In Nature, Animals are not washed with dark Colour and Highlights, of course. So i would say, that they chose to use bigger scales to make their Figures interesting for a broader range of customers.

If i really had the Money and want something more accurate than a "toy" Figure, i would buy more Resinfigures, like Krentz' Regina Mundi. Considering this, i am even more impressed of this new Lineup of "toyfigures" from PNSO.

Also: The Paint Application on all new PNSOs is outstanding to me. These Paintjobs are normally found on more expensive Figures. Same with Essien 2.0. It is small, but the Paint app is superb. These new PNSO Theropods are getting better and better in my opinion. In the End, i want all of them i guess :D

I'll wait for more In Hand Pictures and Videos from theri new Theropods. But they all look fantastic to me.

Wallnut

I save money for a goal completing carnegie collection so I need to save money maybe I buy it in a month that has no interesting carnegies to get but the color skin is the same as machairoceratops,miragaia,winter wilson and essien they can give it a iguana like color skin it would been cool if I buy I wil repaint into a iguana color skin with cream color stripes so it will stand out in the PNSO shelf also I am considiring repaint ession or schleich to a zebra with yellow crest but I think essien will look little bit worst then schleich with that color skin and schleich is cheaper.

paleochris

Quote from: Kapitaenosavrvs on January 02, 2021, 03:28:36 PM
Quote from: paleochris on January 02, 2021, 02:51:06 PM

I would say, using a Palette of Colours for a Line of new Figures makes sense to me. This is one step to reduce production costs overall, so that we can buy high quality Figures at a really(!) good Price. At least for me. I love the CollectA Carnotaurus, but as always: just having a few Pictures is not enough for me to judge. The too big scales will be on every new Theropd Figure i guess, and i am okay with that. I think it is also a creative desicion, because these Figures aren't that big ( In General ), so he sculpted them a bit exaggerated to create a more detailed looking Figure. Like using a hefty wash with drybrushing on a Figure to create more Depth. In Nature, Animals are not washed with dark Colour and Highlights, of course. So i would say, that they chose to use bigger scales to make their Figures interesting for a broader range of customers.

If i really had the Money and want something more accurate than a "toy" Figure, i would buy more Resinfigures, like Krentz' Regina Mundi. Considering this, i am even more impressed of this new Lineup of "toyfigures" from PNSO.

Also: The Paint Application on all new PNSOs is outstanding to me. These Paintjobs are normally found on more expensive Figures. Same with Essien 2.0. It is small, but the Paint app is superb. These new PNSO Theropods are getting better and better in my opinion. In the End, i want all of them i guess :D

I'll wait for more In Hand Pictures and Videos from theri new Theropods. But they all look fantastic to me.

yes I think the same as you, a limited color palette to be able to release quickly and cheaply a series of new models. Well ok I agree I prefer that too, especially since the quality of sculpture remains incredible for this price range. PNSO will have been the best brand of 2020 anyway. Some people prefer the carnotaurus from Safari, but personally it's hard for me, I find it a toy look (the details of the face seem too rounded to me) but I'd have to see it in real hand.

suspsy

Quote from: Gwangi on January 02, 2021, 02:20:09 PM
I like this one a lot but it certainly won't be a priority. My collection already has 6 Carnotaurus in it, including the fantastic sculpts by Doug Watson and Forest Rogers. Disappointed that it wasn't a different abelisaur.

Yeah, if this had been Majungasaurus or Rajasaurus, I'd have immediately snapped it up.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Faelrin

Well this was a lovely surprise to wake up to see. I really love the coloration (disregarding it is pretty similar to the Spinosaurus, Miragaia, and Machairoceratops, but applied to this particular animal itself, with some tweaks), and will be adding it to my wishlist. I honestly hope this opens the doors to more abelisaurids getting made in this line now, particularly since it seems they have a thing for putting out multiple animals in the same family so far.

That said I agree with others here that it could use more muscle around the tail, the pubis probably shouldn't be so exposed, the large/oversized scales, etc. The Safari Ltd one is still my favorite because it has the thick tail as it should, lips, etc, but for number 2 I think this one is fine for me. And honestly like there are those folks that buy every T. rex figure, I'm pretty much like that with Carnotaurus (it is like my second favorite theropod), since I find most appealing in one way or another, currently.

I also hope this is closer to 1:35 (or I guess 1:40 is fine too). Both the Safari Ltd and the similarly sized Rebor one are like 1:30 scale. Don't have the Carnegie one yet, so I'm curious how that would size up with those and this new one.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: