News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New For 2021

Started by Takama, December 02, 2020, 08:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

Quote from: SRF on May 08, 2021, 10:22:05 AMIt's the same with models being stated as 1:35 scale when they are obviously not in that scale range. Since 1:35 is probably the most popular to collect, when asked they will just mention it is indeed in that scale.

Exactly. For example, take a look at what scale CollectA claims their new Pteranodon is made at: https://www.collecta.biz/en/collections/prehistoric-world/age-of-dinosaurs-1-40-scale/item/88912

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy Whoah! That Sinoceratops looks a bit different from the average one!  ;D

John

Quote from: Flaffy on May 08, 2021, 10:16:28 AM
Quote from: Concavenator on May 08, 2021, 09:31:20 AM
I find it amusing how everyone is discussing whether it is A.jimmadseni or A.fragilis and no mention of A.lucasi which also lived in North America. I think this species just gets forgotten, as it was described in 2014. Not saying this model represents A.lucasi, just  as a reminder that A.fragilis and A.jimmadseni are not the only species of the genus. And there's also A.europaeus, from Portugal, which the Mesozoo figure is based on. Since Allosaurus is my favorite dinosaur of all time, I of course had to know all this!

From Wikipedia: "Daniel Chure and Mark Loewen in 2020 only recognized the species A. fragilis, A. europaeus, and the newly-named A. jimmadseni as being valid species."

So I guess it really depends on whether or not you agree with the conclusions of the new 2020 paper.

Quote from: John on May 08, 2021, 09:48:37 AM
Regardless of all that "discussion",the model has long been confirmed by PNSO to be Allosaurus fragilis.

I've noticed your previous edits, why the hostile tone? In the end it's a harmless discussion.

I came off as a bit more blunt than I intend to be,so I did some edits to look less hostile.

Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Leyster

Quote from: Flaffy on May 08, 2021, 10:36:48 AM
Quote from: Concavenator on May 08, 2021, 10:18:19 AM
With all due respect, just because a random PNSO employee answers A.fragilis (and they said that when someone asked, the model itself is simply called "Allosaurus") doesn't mean much to me, to be honest. I think they said that because A.fragilis is the most famous species, and they would be like: now that someone asks, we'll say it's the most popular species.

I agree. While answers from a PR representative of the company may be of use in species identification, I personally do not believe it must therefore be absolute. What can be taken as absolute however is if we somehow managed to contact the sculptor directly, and acquired their perspective on the matter, e.g. how we often ask Mr Watson about size and scale of his sculpts for Safari ltd.

The simple fact that they keep pasting on their promotional pictures skeletals that are in many cases (not all) very outdated gives a clear idea of how much some PNSO employees thinks of accuracy  ::)
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

John

My identification of the Allosaurus as A. fragilis is based on my own observations first and foremost,and PNSO pretty much backs it up.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Kapitaenosavrvs

Like the Reviews. Like that Allosaurus sp. more than i thought, just from the Pictures. I love the different Porportions (In comparison with the promopics) and since its not easy to say which Allosaurus it is without communication with Zhao and co., i understand the Discussion, but it feels senseless to me at a certain point. And everyone is talking in circles. Skullreconstructions differ. Fossils differ. They often are warped or compressed. A Figure is a Figure. The missing Thumbclaw is way more sad to me, than the Headshape, which i think is fantastic overall.

In all Honesty, i think A. fragilis fits more than A. jimmadseni in this case. But as i said. Its a fantastic Figure and i am positively surprised how it came out. Now i am even more hyped for the Yutyrannus.

John

Quote from: Kapitaenosavrvs on May 08, 2021, 12:25:11 PM
Like the Reviews. Like that Allosaurus sp. more than i thought, just from the Pictures. I love the different Porportions (In comparison with the promopics) and since its not easy to say which Allosaurus it is without communication with Zhao and co., i understand the Discussion, but it feels senseless to me at a certain point. And everyone is talking in circles. Skullreconstructions differ. Fossils differ. They often are warped or compressed. A Figure is a Figure. The missing Thumbclaw is way more sad to me, than the Headshape, which i think is fantastic overall.

In all Honesty, i think A. fragilis fits more than A. jimmadseni in this case. But as i said. Its a fantastic Figure and i am positively surprised how it came out. Now i am even more hyped for the Yutyrannus.
Here's something else that's a headache:the skull reconstructions are always at sideways view,while the flesh reconstruction is slightly facing the camera just enough to give a little distortion,making comparison harder...

Pachyventer

Here's another Allosaurus review (by Dino Scream):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3S6QgmVKUg

SRF

The first in hand pictures of the Carcharodontosaurus popped up on social media: https://www.instagram.com/p/COnUKcQlC22/?igshid=x0yox5ujivxu

This one I really like.
But today, I'm just being father

Gwangi

I'm in love with that Carcharodontosaurus, this is the first PNSO theropod that has got me really excited, and their best theropod to date.

Bread

I can't wait for June/July releases! That Carcharodontosaurus looks amazing. Seeing how this one has in hand photos, I am hoping Yutyrannus photos are right around the corner!!!!

My only question: is the Carcharodontosaurus arm's too short/small? I am not familiar with this genus too well, plus I am referring to Safari's figure on the arm length.

sauroid

whoah that Carcharodontosaurus just rendered all recent Carcha figures lame and obsolete. i am even more excited for this one than the Winter Wilson rex.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

SRF

Quote from: Bread on May 08, 2021, 04:05:56 PM
I can't wait for June/July releases! That Carcharodontosaurus looks amazing. Seeing how this one has in hand photos, I am hoping Yutyrannus photos are right around the corner!!!!

My only question: is the Carcharodontosaurus arm's too short/small? I am not familiar with this genus too well, plus I am referring to Safari's figure on the arm length.

I'm not sure about the correct size, but I did feel its arms are indeed small. Maybe it's because of all those T. Rex figures in the market with arms that are too large.  :) But comparing it to Wilson's tiny arms, Gamba's arms do look proportionate correct.

One thing I noticed about the more recent releases from PNSO, like the Allosaurus, Pachycephalosaurus and also this Carcharodontosaurus, is that they went back to painting the hand and toe claws black. If there's one thing I liked better on the Tyrannosaurus, Qianzhousaurus and Carnotaurus, it's that they painted the claws in an off white color which seems more natural to me.
But today, I'm just being father

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Concavenator on May 08, 2021, 11:03:01 AM
Quote from: SRF on May 08, 2021, 10:22:05 AMIt's the same with models being stated as 1:35 scale when they are obviously not in that scale range. Since 1:35 is probably the most popular to collect, when asked they will just mention it is indeed in that scale.

Exactly. For example, take a look at what scale CollectA claims their new Pteranodon is made at: https://www.collecta.biz/en/collections/prehistoric-world/age-of-dinosaurs-1-40-scale/item/88912

1:40!?!? LOL I didn't realize Pteranodon was like, 50ft tall 😂

Scale really is nothing but a marketing slogan for these companies. They know half their customers have no clue how big these things are supposed to be so they just list whichever scale seems popular.

Hopefully this is just a mistake by the marketing department, like the 2015 Carnegie Velociraptor which is also listed as 1:40 on the actual model.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Flaffy

Quote from: Bread on May 08, 2021, 04:05:56 PM

Carcharodontosaurids were not known for having large arms. I think Acrocanthosaurus and Tyrannotitan are the only two large carcharodontosaurids with preserved arm bones, and neither are particularly large/long.

suspsy

Carcharodontosaurids are pretty much on par with tyrannosaurids in terms of having puny arms.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Did no one notice that on the Eofauna Giganotosaurus? I thought it was common knowledge that Carcharodontosaurids, like most large and medium sized Cretaceous theropods and many small ones too when they don't have wings, had short arms. Common trend.
Given the similar colours of this and the Allosaurus, I may end skipping the Allosaurus after all. Though I'd like to see them together in person first.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Bread

Thanks for the clarification everyone! Much appreciated. My initial thought on Carcharodontosaurus arm's was that they were noticeably larger than Tyrannosaurus arm's. Guess I was wrong on that part.

Also, I never noticed Eofauna's Giga having such short arm's. I will say PNSO Carcharodontosaurus is much more noticeable for having small arms.

Duna

Both allosaurus and carcharodontosaurus are wonderful figures with appropiate sized scales and look lovely (not what they did with the poor Tyrannosaurus). I hope they never make anything like that again.
Carcharodontosaurus is amazing, hope the real painting is similar to the prototype.

Halichoeres

Oh wow, never really noticed before, but that means the Papo Acro's arms are wayyy oversized. Not as bad as their Allo, but still.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: