News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New For 2021

Started by Takama, December 02, 2020, 08:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwangi

The price for the Stegosaurus is too much for me, although I'm sure it's worth it. I just don't care about having babies in my collection all that much. I would rather, dare I say it, just get the other Bieber.

The fact that the Kronosaurus is in the museum line has me worried because for as much as I want it I don't think it's going to be worth $60+.

The Yutyrannus is a pass for me, unfortunately. I can't stand the pose it's in, it looks awkward and unnatural. I honestly prefer the Safari and Kaiyodo versions, which I already have.

SidB

As regards the pose of the Yutyrannus, I'm handling that this way: sure it stands out as different from  the other PNSO therapods, but maybe that's okay. Because, by way of comparison, virtually every Papo theropod has a pose that has some 'unnatural' aspect to it, though under certain circumstances these can and have been justified. Mind you some (looking at you, Giganotaosaurus) are absurd, ruining the sculpt. So .... if a PNSO or two is somewhat unconventional, I'll live with it. Just my opinion.

KeU

My main concern with the pose of the Yutyrannus is its stability.
Especially with the problems from their Giganotosaurus.
It is not as unnatural to my eyes.
That is unlike say the Safari Allosaurus. It looks really uncomfortable over striding like that.

suspsy

The Yutyrannus comes with a support, so I'm fine with that pose. I guess it's stalking prey or possibly engaging in display?

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Concavenator

The pose might be a bit unusual, but as a representation of the species it is brilliant, and it's up there with the upcoming BOTM version as the best mass produced version of this amazing dinosaur, imo. And I'm not bothered by the lack of lips - sure, if it had lips I would appreciate it but since it's an ongoing debate and I can be fine with it either way.

Though Paleofiguras says "in hand" pics, I don't think the final released version will be exactly like that. The Carcharodontosaurus has now been released as you may know and from the pics I have seen it looks a little different than the first pics that came (they were with the same lighting as these ones of the Yutyrannus).

Psittacoraptor

The Yutyrannus pose reminds me of the life-size T-rex model by Blue Rhino Studio:

Spoiler

[close]

I like this Yutyrannus a lot. Finally a proper model of the largest feathered dinosaur so far.

suspsy

Quote from: Psittacoraptor on May 31, 2021, 08:56:31 PM
The Yutyrannus pose reminds me of the life-size T-rex model by Blue Rhino Studio:

I love this artpiece so much. If I were a billionaire, I would decorate my property with one.

Bokisaurus

Nice to see an update on the Yutyrannus, wonderful figure, and will replace my Safari now.
I don't see what other are bothered by the pose to be honest. It's a great dynamic pose instead of the usual neutral or trying to do the split pose. I find nothing unnatural about the pose at all.
A figures pose doesn't need to always tell you what it's supposed to be doing, it's too contrived and honestly boring and predictable.
I like figures that show flexibility on how you want it to be doing, that's just me.
Anyway, I'm excited about this figure 😃

SRF

Quote from: Bokisaurus on May 31, 2021, 09:33:51 PM
Nice to see an update on the Yutyrannus, wonderful figure, and will replace my Safari now.
I don't see what other are bothered by the pose to be honest. It's a great dynamic pose instead of the usual neutral or trying to do the split pose. I find nothing unnatural about the pose at all.
A figures pose doesn't need to always tell you what it's supposed to be doing, it's too contrived and honestly boring and predictable.
I like figures that show flexibility on how you want it to be doing, that's just me.
Anyway, I'm excited about this figure 😃

I totally agree. Out of all the June releases from PNSO, the Yutyrannus is the one I'm most excited for. Its pose is way more interesting than that of the Carcharodontosaurus. In that regard, for me the Yutyrannus could even be PNSO's best theropod yet even.
But today, I'm just being father

Gwangi

With theropods I prefer neutral postures, either standing horizontally or with the head held higher than the body and tail. This Yutyrannus pose looks uncomfortable, like it's stumbling in the dark, stepped on a Lego, and is letting out a bloodcurdling cry while falling forward. Or like it's unintentionally sagging forward, like oh so many CollectA figures on bases do over time. If it were angled back ever so slightly it would be a big improvement for me. But hey, we all have our preferences, and that's mine. And if others "don't see what other are bothered by the pose" or think that it's "a great dynamic pose instead of the usual neutral or trying to do the split pose" then good for them, I'm glad they like it. I can appreciate a dynamic pose that looks natural, I adore the Safari Yangchuanosaurus scratching its face, for example. This one doesn't look natural to me, it looks forced.

Dinoguy2

I'm not sure what the ambiguity is about the pose. Looks like a very clear running pose to me. The body is slightly angled downward but I don't know why that would be an issue, no reason to think these things moved around all rigid or something. Plenty of reasons it might duck down a little bit during locomotion, especially in a heavily forested ecosystem like the Yixian.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

SRF

The Carcharodontosaurus is now available at My Online Toy Store on AliExpress. The seller just informed me about that. I've decided to purchase it right away, since with a discount coupon I could get it for around the same price as the Allosaurus, and I need to purchase it this month anyway to evade extra EU taxes.

With the Yutyrannus coming up later this month, I'll probably just skip the Stegosaurus, unless I get a great offer on AliExpress for it as well. Paying almost double the amount for a Stegosaurus compared to the Carcharodontosaurus doesn't feel right to me.

But today, I'm just being father

Gwangi

Thanks for the heads up avatar_SRF @SRF, just placed my order.

Thialfi

PNSO has no chill! No idea if this will actually turn out as a real figure, nothing as such has been confirmed, but the idea of a dimetrodon is quite appealling to say the least. Not sure about that speculative half sail though..

suspsy

Quote from: Thialfi on June 01, 2021, 04:06:25 PM

PNSO has no chill! I love that they are doing a dimetrodon and I feel quite inclined to get it. Not sure about that speculative half sail though..

Let's not get too excited yet. We don't know if this means an actual toy or if it's just artwork.

Thialfi

Ah, my bad, will edit my post

Dinoxels

NO! They are doing that trope that was long regarded as false. NO!
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

sauroid

the Yutyrannus' pose looks like it's stalking its prey in the dense forests the same way as modern day lionesses stalk their prey. just my opinion.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Leyster

Here my (hopefully) definitive two cents on the fragilis/jimmadseni question. Also there is an image that didn't made to the review, it's a comparison of the frontal model with an A.jimmadseni skull (in italian, but a translatow will do the work)
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Mattyonyx

Quote from: suspsy on June 01, 2021, 04:28:19 PM
Quote from: Thialfi on June 01, 2021, 04:06:25 PM

PNSO has no chill! I love that they are doing a dimetrodon and I feel quite inclined to get it. Not sure about that speculative half sail though..

Let's not get too excited yet. We don't know if this means an actual toy or if it's just artwork.

The jaw makes me think it's a model, as it does seem to be articulated. Maybe it's a prototype, like the new Triceratops.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: