News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New For 2021

Started by Takama, December 02, 2020, 08:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Psittacoraptor

At the end of the day, any sail reconstruction of Dimetrodon is going to be speculative without direct fossil evidence. It's also an animal without direct living relatives that could give us clues as to how the sail really looked. Given how extremely rare soft tissue preservation in terrestrial settings is, we'll be waiting a long time for that evidence; unless a Dimetrodon somehow ended up being deposited in an anoxic marine sediment with its sail intact and subsequently fossilized (similar to Borealopelta), and that fossil is found. The fossil record is fragmentary, much more so on land than in the oceans, because of how destructive transport, sedimentation, and deposition work in terrestrial settings. This is just the sometimes frustrating nature of paleontology. We often don't get the answers we're looking for because the evidence doesn't exist or hasn't been found, which means multiple interpretations are possible. And without sufficient evidence, interpretations are just that, and not facts (although some are of course more likely than others).

Long story short, I personally don't see the harm in a model that does the sail differently than the dozens of models already on the market.  :)

Dusty Wren

Quote from: Psittacoraptor on June 02, 2021, 08:41:29 PM
Long story short, I personally don't see the harm in a model that does the sail differently than the dozens of models already on the market.  :)

I think this might have factored into PNSO's thinking. There are a lot of Dimetrodon toys out there. They may have been looking for a way to stand out, and this figure certainly stands out.
Check out my customs thread!

Psittacoraptor

Quote from: Dusty Wren on June 02, 2021, 08:57:14 PM

I think this might have factored into PNSO's thinking. There are a lot of Dimetrodon toys out there. They may have been looking for a way to stand out, and this figure certainly stands out.
You're probably right. I have no idea how big the market for this stuff is but there are so many products already that these companies likely have to find ways to stand out. Especially if they make an animal that's been done many times before. PNSO has also been releasing so many models lately and people only have so much money. Maybe making things a little differently is them trying to get people more interested in these frequent releases.

Gwangi

Quote from: Psittacoraptor on June 02, 2021, 09:13:19 PM
Quote from: Dusty Wren on June 02, 2021, 08:57:14 PM

You're probably right. I have no idea how big the market for this stuff is but there are so many products already that these companies likely have to find ways to stand out. Especially if they make an animal that's been done many times before. PNSO has also been releasing so many models lately and people only have so much money. Maybe making things a little differently is them trying to get people more interested in these frequent releases.

It makes you wish they would just make stuff that other companies haven't made yet. I have no interest in another Dimetrodon but I would happily buy a Platyhystrix.

JohannesB

Since Dimetrodon is one of my favorite genera/species, it is a bit strange I only have about three figures of them. The favorite one among the models I have is the Invicta one (from 1993), which is relatively accurate, for as far as I know. (A pity it is so small..) A nice PNSO model would be welcome, but if that photograph is indeed a kind of preview for an upcoming model (which is of course not a given), I feel a bit put off. With that I mean that I like Sphenacodonts (and Pelycosaurs in general, maybe) to be reconstructed in a way that emphasizes their mammalian-like characteristics more, and not to be depicted more like a reptile (with scales and scutes), so I'd prefer the skin on the head to be leathery smooth and not scaly/bumpy, although of course we don't exactly know what they looked like. Also, one of the many questions I have is: would Dimetrodon have (something approaching a thing like) lips? [Edit: because if yes - and I assume they did - then that is another "con" regarding this possible PNSO Dimetrodon. PNSO do really like to push the "lipless thing", it seems to me.]

stargatedalek

Quote from: Dromaenychus on June 02, 2021, 04:58:17 PM
It's interesting how they go for the speculative flukes on Mosasaurus and Kronosaurus, and the half-sail Dimetrodon, but lips on theropods and cheeks on hervivores is a bit too speculative for them. Note: I'm still excited for my Allosaurus to arrive today.
What fascinates me is how some of them remove features that were present in the art, making them less accurate, and others seem to add new features.

Quote from: Archosaur on June 02, 2021, 11:20:02 PM
Since Dimetrodon is one of my favorite genera/species, it is a bit strange I only have about three figures of them. The favorite one among the models I have is the Invicta one (from 1993), which is relatively accurate, for as far as I know. (A pity it is so small..) A nice PNSO model would be welcome, but if that photograph is indeed a kind of preview for an upcoming model (which is of course not a given), I feel a bit put off. With that I mean that I like Sphenacodonts (and Pelycosaurs in general, maybe) to be reconstructed in a way that emphasizes their mammalian-like characteristics more, and not to be depicted more like a reptile (with scales and scutes), so I'd prefer the skin on the head to be leathery smooth and not scaly/bumpy, although of course we don't exactly know what they looked like. Also, one of the many questions I have is: would Dimetrodon have (something approaching a thing like) lips?
Muscular mammal-like lips are unlikely, but it should be reconstructed with lizard like lips as we see on the Invicta one.

Mattyonyx

The new Stegosaurus is on Amazon,com : https://amzn.to/3igScJY
As expected, the price tag is in line with Wilson...

suspsy

For $66 US, you could buy several CollectA toys of comparable quality.

Many of PNSO's latest reveals have not blown my socks off for the simple reason that they've been done many times already (Allosaurus, Carcharodontosaurus, Dimetrodon, Kronosaurus, Stegosaurus, Triceratops). I already own versions which I consider definitive; I feel no inclination to snap up these new ones. I want more unusual genera like Aquilops or Rajasaurus or Riojasaurus or Ziapelta.

Also, I think it's safe to say by this point that PNSO is not doing a third wave of miniatures. Guess they figure these bigger toys are more profitable. They're probably right, but I'll miss those little darlings.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Stegotyranno420

I never  understood why companies don't take advantage of rajasaurus
It's from the country that is the second most populated
It's probably the biggest abelisaur
It has a cooler horn than any other abelisaur
And it's a unique species, and one of the most important ones

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on June 03, 2021, 04:24:05 AM

Completely agree with you. We need a decent, well-made rajasaurus and barapasaurus. I do not understand either why they do not make dinosaurs of India, which is in fact a continent in terms of size and population.

Leyster

Probably not. The first claims were vastly oversized. Grillo & Delcourt (2016), which is probably the best paper around on abelisaurid size and did a tremendous job on the regard, rescaled it to more or less 6-7 meters, smaller that Pycnonemosaurus, Carnotaurus, Abelisaurus, Ekrixinatosaurus and Rahiolisaurus.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

SRF

The Stegosaurus is now available on AliExpress as well. If you purchase it with the retail box, the price is about the same as on Amazon. Without the box makes quite a difference, about 9 Euro. I do prefer to buy my PNSO figures with the box though, especially the Museum Line ones (I actually use Wilson's box to display him and other Hell Creek fauna on).

Still on the fence for this one, but I rather spend some extra money on the new EU taxes for the Yutyrannus.
But today, I'm just being father

Pachyventer

Quote from: SRF on June 03, 2021, 12:44:29 PM
The Stegosaurus is now available on AliExpress as well.

A link please? Can't find it by using Aliexpress' search engine.

Kapitaenosavrvs

Quote from: Pachyventer on June 03, 2021, 12:49:19 PM
Quote from: SRF on June 03, 2021, 12:44:29 PM
The Stegosaurus is now available on AliExpress as well.

A link please? Can't find it by using Aliexpress' search engine.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002755051649.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_groupList.8148356.1.53e21274gSZjSa

A clear pass for me. Way too expensive for me. Sadly, because these two Stegos look fantastic. The Paitjob will be great, too in Hand i guess. I i have to say, that even with two Figures i kind of wished for a small Base. Just to have it more "museeum" in the Museeum line. But again, this could be my view on Figures aswell. The new PNSO and CollectA Figures changed something.

Pachyventer

Thank you so much! I guess, the Museum Series figures look especially awesome in person. Anyway, that's true for all PNSO's MS dinos I have so far))

Concavenator

As I thought, the photos of the Yutyrannus that were posted the other day are photos of the actual prototype. The final, released version might look a bit different, as also happened with the Carcharodontosaurus. It seems it will be released in the coming days. (Source for all this):

https://youtu.be/uusy4Av_WjI

BTW, does the release of the Stegosaurus means there won't be a new model this week? I'll be honest: if something gets announced and it won't be the Torvosaurus, I will be surprised. I don't even know why they announced a Kronosaurus last week when the Torvosaurus had been teased along with the Yutyrannus, Carcharodontosaurus, Allosaurus, Stegosaurus and the Helicoprion some time ago  ??? I think it's definitely coming, but it's kind of strange it hasn't been shown already.

Bread

Quote from: Shonisaurus on June 03, 2021, 08:21:14 AM

Completely agree with you. We need a decent, well-made rajasaurus and barapasaurus. I do not understand either why they do not make dinosaurs of India, which is in fact a continent in terms of size and population.
I agree as well. Meanwhile companies continue to produce Carnotaurus. Don't get me wrong, I love Carnotaurus, but it greatly out shines other Abelisaurs in the dinosaur toy market. You would think we would have a Rajasaurus by now out of all the other Abelisaurs?

Carnoking

Yeah, I hate to say it, but that is nowhere near a 70$ figure. 50 tops.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Leyster on June 03, 2021, 10:59:20 AM

Probably not. The first claims were vastly oversized. Grillo & Delcourt (2016), which is probably the best paper around on abelisaurid size and did a tremendous job on the regard, rescaled it to more or less 6-7 meters, smaller that Pycnonemosaurus, Carnotaurus, Abelisaurus, Ekrixinatosaurus and Rahiolisaurus.
Sorry, but can I see your evidence. I just want to learn more information from direct sources rather than google or Wikipedia.

Leyster

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on June 03, 2021, 04:54:40 PM
Quote from: Leyster on June 03, 2021, 10:59:20 AM

Sorry, but can I see your evidence. I just want to learn more information from direct sources rather than google or Wikipedia.
This is Grillo & Delcourt (2016). Not open access, but you can send a request to the authors through Researchgate.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: