News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New For 2021

Started by Takama, December 02, 2020, 08:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SRF

Quote from: Dinoxels on July 06, 2021, 10:21:23 AM
Like that head looks more like Tyrannosaurus then Winter Wilson.
Overall looking like Winter Wilson but better.

I agree that it looks better overall, but if I may ask, what differences do you see between the head sculpts? With Winter Wilson in hand, the only difference I notice is that its head connects to its body in a different angle. The heads themselves look exactly the same to me. Looking at the skin details and the teeth, this is just Wilsons head.
But today, I'm just being father

Faras

Quote from: SRF on July 06, 2021, 10:02:16 AM
So the scaling detail on the body has improved compared to Wilson, but the colors are indeed the same. Now I do feel I was wrong about her pose though.  ::) I hope it's not too similar to Wilsons pose, as the head sculpts seem identical.

Also I would love to know if Andrea will be based on a specific T. Rex specimen.

hmm her arms are folded and very close to the body which imo would look somewhat weird in striding pose, guess we'll have to wait and see :) No new info aside from those two imgs atm.

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on July 02, 2021, 12:28:09 AM
its because it goes back to the sexist Victorian era human gender stereotypes about the female being subservient as signified by being passive and in a lower pose, whilst the male is depicted in a dominant pose with the female looking up to him. It is casually sexist and continues to reinforce the gender stereotypes.
It's especially silly when they do it to animals which have females dominant over males.

avatar_Gothmog the Baryonyx @Gothmog the Baryonyx afaik there's either no such stereotypes in China, or they aren't widespread. Traditionally, sitting while others stand signifies higher social status, which is still very common in group and big family photos (when folks of similar status take photo they'd stand or sit as they please). And now that I think about it, taking seat before people with higher status do and/or without their hint is often considered impolite.

Medzo

For the record, are PNSO promotional images being photoshopped or they just create a better and more detailed figure for the covers?

For example food companies in the western hemisphere are not allowed to use any CG on their ads so they use inedible (but very much physically present) sprays/materials and other tricks/cheats to make the food look more shiny and fancy on the picture (just think about a Burger King hamburger on a poster). I reckon Chinese companies couldn't be less bothered for any western(?) regulations like that.

I'm asking because on this Andrea one and previous promo images the overall paint, teeth and soft tissues are much more sophisticated than in real life. Also the gluing portions of the PVC is more apparent with in-hand products.

So it is hard to say which things will be improved compared to Winter Wilson, but taking this picture, she looks better.

Faras

avatar_Medzo @Medzo I believe they make complete figures (probably several till they make final decision) before mass production. Those are probably assembled and painted by professionals instead of assembly line workers which might be why they usually look better.

Medzo

Quote from: Faras on July 06, 2021, 11:27:16 AM
avatar_Medzo @Medzo I believe they make complete figures (probably several till they make final decision) before mass production. Those are probably assembled and painted by professionals instead of assembly line workers which might be why they usually look better.

Yeah that workflow makes sense I guess. I'm quite sensitive for quality differences like that, that's what caused me to depart from Papo after a mere four figures. So they shouldn't follow this practice for too long as far as I'm concerned. Clearly, for now PNSO delivers the best options imho within this range of scale, scientific accuracy and detail.

I just hope they'll keep increasing the quality of their products as the show goes on. I'd be super interested to see how would they implement some bigger sauropods in similar scaling the W-Dragon Giraffatitan or the new yet to be released Nanmu brachio has.

suspsy

Quote from: Faras on July 06, 2021, 08:33:50 AM
Some new pics of Andrea

That looks better than Wilson. Doesn't appear to be lying down either.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Psittacoraptor

avatar_Medzo @Medzo With collectible figures of all types (dinosaurs, video games, anime, film etc.), usually prototypes are used for promotional shots before the product goes into mass production. Maybe it's the same with PNSO. Prototypes tend to have differences compared to the final product. With PNSO I found that some figures look remarkably close to or even better than the prototype, e.g. Parasaurolophus or Miragaia, while others can be downgraded, e.g. Borealopelta. I'm talking about the paint application of course, the sculpt will look the same in any case.

Also, there is no such thing as unedited promo images. And with PNSO you can be sure that what you get will at least resemble the advertising, which cannot be said for Burger King and the like. They might as well use CG, it would look as close to the real product as the photoshopped and airbrushed food they put on their posters now. :))

Faras

Quote from: suspsy on July 06, 2021, 11:50:13 AM

hmm the left arm might look weird if it's not lying? They might've turned the figure slightly to change angle of the body :o

SRF

Quote from: Faras on July 06, 2021, 12:06:34 PM
Quote from: suspsy on July 06, 2021, 11:50:13 AM

hmm the left arm might look weird if it's not lying? They might've turned the figure slightly to change angle of the body :o

Yeah, now I feel it could definitely still be lying down. But on the other hand, looking at pictures of the Sue mount, that reconstruction seems to have the arms a bit in a similar way. I still would expect PNSO to base a "female" Rex on a specimen with a female name.

SidB

It seems that PNSO is continuing their trend to evolve the quality of their products. This is very encouraging for me as a collector,  being reminiscent of Safari and CollectA, that is, responsive to consumer input, I'm assuming. In contrast to Schleich and Papo, as far as I'm aware.

John

Quote from: SidB on July 06, 2021, 02:07:41 PM
It seems that PNSO is continuing their trend to evolve the quality of their products. This is very encouraging for me as a collector,  being reminiscent of Safari and CollectA, that is, responsive to consumer input, I'm assuming. In contrast to Schleich and Papo, as far as I'm aware.
I wonder iif the quick improvements are just the result of two and a half years worth of releases all coming out at once after delays from the pandemic?Maybe the Winter Wilson Tyrannosaurus was originally intended to come out in 2019 or early 2020 and this newly revealed female one was this year's release?That could account for the seemingly fast time for the improvements made over the one from just six months ago.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Faelrin

The skin detail is definitely looking much better then the original Wilson, at least from what can be gleaned here. Like the scales look smaller. More in line like what is on the Tarbosaurus for example, from the looks of it. The teeth as well perhaps?

I'll of course will want to wait for more images to surface of the full body prototype, and of course in hand pics and videos as well. Which will be a bit from now.

Linking these both here to easily compare to the new pics of her:

I'm also curious to see if and what specimen she is based on. Maybe wouldn't hurt to ask them on social media once they reveal it on their accounts.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

SRF

When Wilson came out it was promoted as being based on AMNH 5027, so if Andrea is based on another specimen I'm sure PNSO will mention this when they release images of the model themselves.

But I have to say, Andrea's head looks more like the in hand model of Wilson than Wilson's promo images did. The color of the face is a bit darker and the teeth in the lower jaw seem to be a bit longer, but this kind of differences always seems the case with PNSO's theropods compared to their prototypes.

The scales of the neck and body definitely seem smaller on Andrea. But the scales on the head are exactly in the same pattern on Wilson as on this image of Andrea.

I understand that PNSO keeps the style of their T. Rexes the same, so that they can be displayed together consistantely. But if the head sculpt is exactly the same, I do feel that would be a bit of a shame. I hope Andrea turns out to be a bit bigger than Wilson, with a larger head since that AMNH 5027 does has I believe a proportionally smaller head for a T. Rex.

Carnoking

Can anyone explain what's going on with that box Andrea is photographed with? Also, it might be just me but there's something about this rex that looks a little less complex (for want of a better term) than Wilson. Any chance for this being more of a value rex offering as opposed to another museum line?

CarnotaurusKing

Unrelated (and possibly common knowledge), but some of the booklets provided with the Prehistoric Animal Models mention other dinosaurs that could be teases for future releases. The Pinacosaurus leaflet mentions Tarbosaurus, which was eventually released; the Sinoceratops leaflet mentions Zhuchengtyrannus, which was also teased on the PNSO YT channel; and the Carnotaurus leaflet mentions Mapusaurus - teased on the PNSO YT channel - and Giganotosaurus - the previous Lucas, and a possible resculpt (?). The Spinosaurus leaflet does not mention any other dinosaurs. Those are the only PNSO models I have, so I can't say anything more. If any of you have any more of these leaflets, would it be possible to share what dinosaurs are mentioned in each of these? It's a long shot, but who knows?

SRF

avatar_Carnoking @Carnoking apparently Andrea can only be preordered in China in a bundle with children books and puzzles. I guess that's where that box is coming from.

It's also being confirmed as a model for their Museum Line, for the same price as Wilson. I do get more of a "in hand photograph"-vibe from these images than from PNSO's regular promo images.

C @CarnotaurusKing well spotted. I know the Torvosaurus was also mentioned in the Allosaurus leaflet. I just looked up the leaflets from my last purchases. In the Tarbosaurus leaflet, a Saurolophus is mentioned. The Yutyrannus doesn't mention any other species and the Torvosaurus leaflet only mentiones the Allosaurus again.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Well Andrea does look better than Wilson, but if I were to buy it, it would be under 2 conditions. 1. One be that it is a replacement for Wilson, and I would have to sell off Wilson. 2. I would never buy Tyrannosaurus from PNSO again, no matter further improvements. The only way I'd replace that one would be when Eofauna tackles it. I hope not until their third theropod at least though.
And 3. There would have to be a way to buy it without getting the extras because that is a definite nono
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Gwangi

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on July 06, 2021, 06:18:34 PM
Well Andrea does look better than Wilson, but if I were to buy it, it would be under 2 conditions. 1. One be that it is a replacement for Wilson, and I would have to sell off Wilson. 2. I would never buy Tyrannosaurus from PNSO again, no matter further improvements. The only way I'd replace that one would be when Eofauna tackles it. I hope not until their third theropod at least though.
And 3. There would have to be a way to buy it without getting the extras because that is a definite nono

I see some of my own thoughts reflected here. I never got Winter Wilson for a variety of reasons but one of those reasons was because I figured PNSO would release an improved T. rex in short order, one that fixes the problems I have with Wilson. The Tarbosaurus actually kind of does that. Andrea looks better than Wilson so far but again, when will PNSO release another, better T. rex? Probably sooner than we all think. I'll get the Tarbo because we won't be getting another one as good by any mainstream company anytime soon. T. rex is a different beast. Don't like what's available? Wait a few months or years, you'll get it. I only just now got the Safari T. rex so I'm in no hurry for another.

MLMjp

I can see me getting Andrea if it stands more upright than Wilson.

Medzo

Quote from: MLMjp on July 06, 2021, 09:22:36 PM
I can see me getting Andrea if it stands more upright than Wilson.

I double that.

As a new PNSO collector I stayed away from Wilson as for now for this very reason. I do not mind the size of the scales but the pose is tilted too much downwards. I do not dig this pose - which kinda follows this new Sue implementation - at all. I understand the tail should balance things out but I still think this pose would really hurt the joints of a 8 ton animal. But hey I'm no paleontologist at all.

I like the standardish Tarbosaurus pose much more so I figured I should wait for a new T-Rex implementation. Unless Andrea is resting on the ground. That'll be a bummer for this speculation.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: