News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New For 2021

Started by Takama, December 02, 2020, 08:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SRF

I guess I'll just pretend that it's a juvenile T. Rex when I display it next to Wilson and Andrea.
But today, I'm just being father

Carnoking

Was just thinking yesterday they've been a little too quiet for comfort lately. Wonder how much they're going to charge for a seven inch figure.

Thialfi

Quote from: suspsy on July 12, 2021, 02:22:15 PM
Quote from: Thialfi on July 12, 2021, 02:01:32 PM

Argh. Why does PNSO have to do this? It's a great-looking toy, but the fact of the matter is that "Nanotyrannus" is a juvenile Tyrannosaurus rex. 

I honestly think they do this for economic reasons: a different named species sells better. We can perceive it however we want of course, and the similarities between this nanotyrannus and Winter Wilson are such that I think PNSO very consciously is giving us a T Rex family, with Andrea around the corner as well.

Faelrin

At least the color scheme will allow it to fit in nicely with Wilson and Andrea, though I'm wondering if it will be to scale with them. Skin detail looks much like Wilson's as well, for better or worse.

A real shame about the name however. Of course people are already pointing it out to them, but the damage is done and this will continue to misinform people.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Dinoxels

Quote from: Faelrin on July 12, 2021, 02:36:05 PM
At least the color scheme will allow it to fit in nicely with Wilson and Andrea, though I'm wondering if it will be to scale with them. Skin detail looks much like Wilson's as well, for better or worse.

A real shame about the name however. Of course people are already pointing it out to them, but the damage is done and this will continue to misinform people.
Ditto.
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

SRF

Is it just me or does Logan have the more over textured details of PNSO's earlier theropods compared to some of the later releases? Or is it because this figure is way smaller that the scales seem to be a bit larger?

I get a bit of the same vibes from this figure as I get from the Qianzhousaurus. That is not necessarily a bad thing for me though.

Faelrin

avatar_SRF @SRF See my post above. I noticed as well.

SRF

Quote from: Faelrin on July 12, 2021, 02:44:05 PM
avatar_SRF @SRF See my post above. I noticed as well.

Sorry, I've hit the Post-button too quickly I think. :) Now I'm also very curious how the skin detail of Andrea really will be. Based on the images we've seen I'm sure PNSO has improved it a compared to Wilson, but I hope it will not be too different either so we can display these three "Rexes" together.

Shonisaurus

PNSO's juvenile nanotyrannus or tyrannosaurus rex is attractive. It seems to me good that PNSO has named that minor tyrannosaurus after another dinosaur. At least one of them thinks that it has a different type of tyrannosauroid that is not tyrannosaurus rex. Smart strategy of this endearing company. What I have noticed that PNSO has an overproduction of carnivorous theropods lately, although I do not sincerely blame it for carnivorous theropods such as tyrannosaurus rex, torvosaurus or tarbosaurus to give four examples (the nanotyrannus is included in them) is a complete business compared to other species of dinosaurs.

But isn't PNSO going to stop producing new figures? The idea that every week PNSO makes a new dinosaur or other prehistoric animal such as the atopodentatus or kronosaurus is encouraging but it will honestly cause the financial ruin of many of the DTF members unless they have a very healthy portfolio and are fortunately privileged people since the economic point of view. A normal wallet cannot allow it.

Bokisaurus

Fascinating 😃 nice model and would fit as a good companion to Wilson . Hi wonder if PNSO will address the age and what this animal really is in the booklet, that would be a clever way to market and correct the error.

PNSO is just 5 years into making figures models, and 2 of those they were MIA, so they are making up for lost time and building up their portfolios.
It's expected for any new brand that wants a wide distribution and audience.
Remember the time when CollectA was releasing so many figures post-procon? There was one year when they released 24 figures!

Safari did the same in 2017 when they relaunch their Wild Safari after the Carnegie.

The BIG difference is that PNSO have adopted a very different strategy in how they announced their upcoming figures.
There is no "scheduled "reveal month.
They announced a figure when it's done and ready to order , it's the drip method of revealing that spreads out over months.

It's really a smart move in my opinion.
It keeps them on the spotlight all year long and keep their fans excited and engaged.

Just look at how much traffic, engagement, conversation, and excitement this PNSO thread is generating daily!
While the other brands are by now forgotten since it seems so long ago and there is nothing new to really look forward to for the reminder of the year  until November. Just ask yourself, when was the last time you click on the other brands thread and have an excitement feeling of anticipation ? Yup.🤣

Flaffy

Was really hoping for anything BUT another Tyrannosaurus, like Cryolophosaurus, or pretty much anything the've teased over the past week(s). But oh well, it sells like hotcakes so I can't blame 'em.
*Edit: PNSO confirming that herbivores are coming soon

Surprised to see them pretend that it's a separate genus though. And is it just me, or does it have the old Winter Wilson oversized scales? As opposed to their newer, finer scales e.g. Tarbosaurus. 

KeU

Quote from: Flaffy on July 12, 2021, 05:04:48 PM
Surprised to see them pretend that it's a separate genus though. And is it just me, or does it have the old Winter Wilson oversized scales? As opposed to their newer, finer scales e.g. Tarbosaurus. 
Ok, I am not alone in thinking about the size of the scales here.
I thought my eyes are playing tricks on me.

The figure is great, but I feel that it is a slight step back from PNSO's usual sculpt and paint quality for their promo images.
Maybe they are getting smart in managing expectations with the promo images and there will not be a drastic drop in quality to the actual product.

Faelrin

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy Several of us think that, so you are not alone.

Good to see more herbivores are on their way too.

Fembrogon

Well, that's certainly a choice. Has it been discussed before who PNSO consults for their figures? Maybe Chinese scientists have a different stance on the Nano debate.
Then again, as has been mentioned already, this lets them sell another rex without actually calling it a rex - if that matters for marketing.

Seeing some herbivores again will be nice. Big theropods are great and all, but they gotta eat something.
(I kid, I kid - mostly  :)) )

Psittacoraptor

I like to think that Logan is indeed supposed to be Wilson's and Andrea's offspring. The release alongside Andrea and the Wilson-esque colouration is likely on purpose. Also the large eyes are probably meant to indicate a juvenile animal.

But am I seeing things or are its eyes not painted on but made of glass/transparent plastic?

SRF

Quote from: Fembrogon on July 12, 2021, 06:11:51 PM
Well, that's certainly a choice. Has it been discussed before who PNSO consults for their figures? Maybe Chinese scientists have a different stance on the Nano debate.
Then again, as has been mentioned already, this lets them sell another rex without actually calling it a rex - if that matters for marketing.

Seeing some herbivores again will be nice. Big theropods are great and all, but they gotta eat something.
(I kid, I kid - mostly  :)) )

Mark Norell was involved in the development of the very first Wilson. Since Winter Wilson is based on AMNH 5027, Norell was probably consulted for that one as well. I can imagine that he is consulted for other figures that are based on AMNH specimen (like the Triceratops) and maybe other Tyrannosaurs as well. Of course I'm not completely sure of this.

suspsy

As you may know, I have been a Tyrannosaurus rex fan since kindergarten. I have a huge collection of T. rex toys, including the original vinyl version from PNSO and the feathery hatchling. But I'm not gonna lie, I'm really wishing we were getting another tyrannosaur instead of a juvenile T. rex. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Logan will sell really well and look great with Wilson and Andrea, but I would've been ecstatic over Albertosaurus, Lythronax, Teratophoneus, Bistahieversor, Dryptosaurus, or Sinotyrannus.

Oh, and Zhuchengtyrannus. That's the one I'd really like PNSO to release.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

The Prehistoric Traveler

I really want that aurochs as a PVC figure. But not much chance i guess.

suspsy

I'd buy a PVC aurochs. Prehistoric bovids are barely represented at all in the toy world.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

CarnotaurusKing

Quote from: suspsy on July 12, 2021, 07:45:55 PM
As you may know, I have been a Tyrannosaurus rex fan since kindergarten. I have a huge collection of T. rex toys, including the original vinyl version from PNSO and the feathery hatchling. But I'm not gonna lie, I'm really wishing we were getting another tyrannosaur instead of a juvenile T. rex. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Logan will sell really well and look great with Wilson and Andrea, but I would've been ecstatic over Albertosaurus, Lythronax, Teratophoneus, Bistahieversor, Dryptosaurus, or Sinotyrannus.

Oh, and Zhuchengtyrannus. That's the one I'd really like PNSO to release.

Yup. 30 or so possible genera that they could've chosen from, and they just had to go with the one that isn't real. I have a feeling Raptorex and Deinodon aren't far behind.
On top of the ones you listed, I would've also wished for a Gorgosaurus, Dilong, and Alioramus.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: