News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New For 2021

Started by Takama, December 02, 2020, 08:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flaffy

Just noticed something... While the skeletal includes some very generous soft tissue outlines (notice the thick neck and tail), the figure itself however lacks significant muscle mass in these areas. Quite a shame too, thought PNSO would've rectified their thin ornithopods by this point, but alas the current figure is still within the realm of possibility, albiet very conservative.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Flaffy on March 09, 2021, 12:43:18 AM
Just noticed something... While the skeletal includes some very generous soft tissue outlines (notice the thick neck and tail), the figure itself however lacks significant muscle mass in these areas. Quite a shame too, thought PNSO would've rectified their thin ornithopods by this point.

I'm guessing the skeletal was modified to reflect the new Parasaurolophus neck paper from a few months ago, while the figure was already in production.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

stargatedalek

I'd call that rectified, aside from potentially the tail which is hard to see from that angle of the promotional image (I can't view the other images as they are setting off all kinds of nasty browser alerts).

Is there any information of its size? I hope it hasn't been shrunken down too much.

Mellow Stego

Keep calm and love dinosaurs

Carnoking

SenSx

PNSO Parasaurolophus, at last !!!

My Papo one can retire.
Looks beautiful, I like the blue eyes.
I hope it stands better than the previous figures, maybe this time they can give it a a rod as well to this quadruped.

Now if only I could get a Pachy too...

Faelrin

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy I was also starting to wonder about the amount of soft tissue myself (particularly by the tail and ischium). Maybe it will be better in hand though at different angles?

Also my memory was really fuzzy on the whole pathology thing, especially the recent paper about it. For some reason I was still thinking it could be a taphonomic thing, based on all the years of debate on it! Granted I'm not too surprised I had trouble remembering that recent paper with all what I had going on then when it was published though (Dec 2020 from the looks of it).

But now that I'm giving it some thought I'm probably going to need to dig for the discussion thread as didn't it cover something about the neck posture and soft tissue too (or I guess I could just read the paper too)? Which I know would obviously be far too late to incorporate into the figure itself but I'm mainly wondering how the skeletal there compares.

But anyways since this references that particular specimen (aka holotype of P. walkeri), I guess this is a similar situation with the Spinosaurus figure as the new tail discovery has only been found on one individual (and a sub-adult) so far, and might not be able to represent any other individual of the species.

I'm also curious about how the sculpt's texture compares with the known integument discovered so far. Granted to my untrained eye it looks pretty hadrosaurid-like. And seeing how minute the scales have been restored (also like their Lambeosaurus and Corythosaurus), it really makes me wish their recent theropods could have gone this route with less oversized scales since they are clearly able to pull it off so well. Particularly their newest Tyrannosaurus, but even the Carnotaurus as both have preserved portions of integument to reference from that have been published on now.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Skorpio V.

That scale detail tho!! Seems like a different person sculpted it, the scale details look different comparing it to most of PNSO's offerings recently (e.g. Winter Wilson, Pachyrhinosaurus, etc.) and the head looks different comparing it to the Lambeosaurus/Corythosaurus who both had snouts pulled out a little bit like silly putty. That, or I'm reaching lol.

Love how r o b u s t Wyatt is. Would consider renaming him Chad, if given the chance. Not digging the paint scheme though, real bland for the dinosaur that, personally, would be the most diva-y. The green on the back clashes for me.

This cements Parasaurolophus as one of those genera of dinosaur that just has SO many good options to choose from, like Carnotaurus and Pachyrhinosaurus.
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

Eocarcharia

I'm in the "it looks great but I also already have a couple good Parasaurolophus figures, so I'm not sure if I'm going to get it" boat as well.

SidB

My last good one was the Wild Safari, which is too small for my tastes, so this one looks like a keeper, assuming it's properly located in the mid-size range.

Stegotyranno420

Best ornithopod figure ever.
I might get it
Looks awesome
I love the bulk

Bokisaurus

Awesome figure! Beautiful and very elegant looking. Hopefully it's in the medium size range and priced like the other hadrosaurs.
Can't wait to get it❤️

sauroid

i also hope this is in the mid size range. i have like practically every Para figures made by other brands but I AM GETTING THIS. i wonder what will be the next release? (Torosaurus and Allosaurus???)
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

SRF

I guess I didn't guess that bad after all when I guessed that the next reveal would be in the first weekend of March.  :)

Wow, that's a lot of guesses.

I like the Para. I like it much better than the Corythosaurus and the Lambeosaurus actually, which I both didn't get yet. I'll definitely put the Para on my wishlist, but there still are some species that PNSO has teased that will become an instant buy for me if I like them and the Para isn't one of them.

It's fun to speculate on that tough. I hope next one will be the Pachycephalosaurus, Torosaurus or maybe that Zhuchentyrannus. Those and some of the other theropods PNSO has teased us are on top of my wishlist now.

My wallet is going to hate me though.

Edit: scrolling through the general PNSO topic I came accross this post from avatar_Bread @Bread in which we see Zhao Chuang with some large models of his Parasaurolophus, Torosaurus and Borealopelta. Back then people were speculating that these might become large vinyl figures, but it seems the pose of the Parasaurolophus is exactly the same as in the model we've got revealed now. I'm guessing (...) the Torosaurus could well be next then.  :)

http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4503.msg273890#msg273890

But today, I'm just being father

Bread

avatar_SRF @SRF That post is the first thing I thought of when I saw this Parasaurolophus. You are right, it is indeed the same pose, but I doubt it is the same figure. That "vinyl" Para is massive, and I really hope it is not that large if it is that same model mass produced. They produced the Boreopelta already and now the Parasaurolophus is soon to be released, so you are probably right that a Torosaurus is on the way... thank you for reviving those images!

SRF

Quote from: Bread on March 09, 2021, 11:53:00 AM
avatar_SRF @SRF That post is the first thing I thought of when I saw this Parasaurolophus. You are right, it is indeed the same pose, but I doubt it is the same figure. That "vinyl" Para is massive, and I really hope it is not that large if it is that same model mass produced. They produced the Boreopelta already and now the Parasaurolophus is soon to be released, so you are probably right that a Torosaurus is on the way... thank you for reviving those images!

My guess is that these models are (larger) prototypes of later to be released figures. The pose of the Borealopelta is different from the actual model I believe. I do hope that the Torosaurus gets a different pose as well, since the pose of this larger model is very similar to their Pachyrhinosaurus.

Where did you find these images if I may ask?
But today, I'm just being father

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Faelrin on March 09, 2021, 01:45:59 AM
I'm also curious about how the sculpt's texture compares with the known integument discovered so far. Granted to my untrained eye it looks pretty hadrosaurid-like. And seeing how minute the scales have been restored (also like their Lambeosaurus and Corythosaurus), it really makes me wish their recent theropods could have gone this route with less oversized scales since they are clearly able to pull it off so well. Particularly their newest Tyrannosaurus, but even the Carnotaurus as both have preserved portions of integument to reference from that have been published on now.

Yes, this is PNSO's one real issue. The skin texture on their ornithischians has been spot on, at least superficially (which is really all that matters, we're mainly looking at these from at least a few foot distance, so as long as the overall texture/feel of the skin seems right, the fine details don't matter much). The hadrosaurs all have appropriately tiny, pebbly scale texture, the ceratopsians have big chunky scales like they should with scutes on the underside. Stegosaurs skin texture, I think, is still pretty much unknown, so I don't mind them being restored with large scales (this actually makes sense, since they might have had some kind of soft tissue "armor" in areas lacking true osteoderms). But those theropods...

I have to assume there is some kind of imperative for them to compete on the playing field of "detail!!!" with Rebor, Papo, Nanmu, etc., even if all that "detail!!!" is scientifically inaccurate. The Carnotaurus skin does not look like Carnotaurus skin, making everything from the latest Safari to the old Battat better figures, really. And the T. rex skin should look like this Para's skin.

Which if I can just add to, is absolutely gorgeous. Like, there's no way this sculptor messed up the theropods by accident. The level of attention to detail is stunning, down to the loose-feeling wrinkles (I forget which papers discuss this, but apparently hadrosaur skin is extremely thin but also somehow very tough, which would have resulted in a somewhat baggy, wrinkly texture as included in this figure, if not even more extreme).
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Shonisaurus

That parasaurolophus is truly tempting for my portfolio. It is a beauty, now only the tsintaosaurus and the hypacrosaurus are missing to complete the quintet desired for me of lambeosaurine hadrosaurids. Those blue eyes make him a very attractive dinosaur.

Sarapaurolophus

Quote from: Flaffy on March 09, 2021, 12:43:18 AM

WOW WOW WOW
This exceeds my expectations. Now here's hoping the coloration on the final product will look the same...

Love these blue eyes and the crest reminds me of a banana ;)

MLMjp

That Parasaurolophus is absolutely beautiful.

Whats the scale?? I need to know!

I hope it is around the Lambeosaurus size or a bit smalle.r

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: