News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Which Genus Does *NOT* Need A New Toy?

Started by suspsy, December 31, 2020, 02:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

Come to think of it, it is probably safe to say Dimetrodon, Anomalocaris, Dunkleosteus, and maybe even Opabinia and Olenoides are set for figures, in regards to animals from the Paleozoic. All of those have a plethora of wonderful choices on the market these days.

Agree about Edaphosaurus as well with regards to the CollectA and Bullyland figures. I think Scutosaurus may join this list too once the Wild Past figure releases, when there's also great versions by Safari Ltd and Mattel too, though those may be harder to get as time goes on with their short shelf life.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Lanthanotus

As kind of an underdog amongst the company names here, I dare add Protocasts`Pinacosaurus.

Gwangi

Quote from: Faelrin on January 03, 2021, 11:01:56 PM
Come to think of it, it is probably safe to say Dimetrodon, Anomalocaris, Dunkleosteus, and maybe even Opabinia and Olenoides are set for figures, in regards to animals from the Paleozoic. All of those have a plethora of wonderful choices on the market these days.

Agree about Edaphosaurus as well with regards to the CollectA and Bullyland figures. I think Scutosaurus may join this list too once the Wild Past figure releases, when there's also great versions by Safari Ltd and Mattel too, though those may be harder to get as time goes on with their short shelf life.

Yes, I considered the Safari Scutosaurus. I have it and it's one of my favorite Safari figures, but I'm not sure how well it stands up so didn't mention it. Same with the Postosuchus which would be the definitive model if it weren't outdated.

Faelrin

I think the Safari Ltd Scutosaurus holds up pretty well still, in regards to the proportions, posture, skull, integument, etc. I think just being out of production for so long is probably the only thing going against it, other then the small size maybe (not for me though). I was lucky to get one when Dejankins still had some in stock in 2017. The Mattel one is easily one of the most accurate figures in the Jurassic World line, but its poor global distribution (covid affected or not), short shelf life as is typical for the Mattel figures (short of getting a repack and/or repaint in the future), and its articulation and play feature may be off putting for some. I am hoping once the Wild Past one is available it helps rectify the lack of one on the market.

As nice as the Safari Ltd Postosuchus is, it is outdated in posture, maybe other stuff, such as the lack of lips perhaps. Though for the time being, it is my preferred one.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Reuben03

Quote from: Stolpergeist on January 04, 2021, 01:58:18 AM
I do think that Scutosaurus needs a new toy, simply because it's impossible to find a Safari Scutosaurus now.
I've been trying to find one for ages now and an alternative from CollectA or such would be great.
I would even be fine with Schleich doing an attempt considering they did pretty good with other Permian animals.
agreed. more permian animals in general. i want a giant one from PNSO. a big ol' scutosaur bigger than my head that looks like a bulldog made love to a cane toad and the result is taking up way too much space in my bedroom. yes please.

long as my heart's beatin' in my chest
this old dawg ain't about to forget :')

REBOR_STUDIO

T-Rex and Velociraptor don't need new toys.

But those two especially T-Rex significantly outsell any other genus, not 2 to 1, not 5 to 1, we are talking about 10-15 to 1, our entire stock of GNG T-Rex were sold out in less than 30 days despite its many flaws. So the truth is just like you guys we are so very sick of T-Rex toys but we have to make at least one new T-Rex a year if we want to keep the brand alive, we got mouths to feed.

Bread

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on January 04, 2021, 01:11:45 PM

But those two especially T-Rex significantly outsell any other genus, not 2 to 1, not 5 to 1, we are talking about 10-15 to 1, our entire stock of GNG T-Rex were sold out in less than 30 days despite its many flaws. So the truth is just like you guys we are so very sick of T-Rex toys but we have to make at least one new T-Rex a year if we want to keep the brand alive, we got mouths to feed.
I believe that it is not that people are sick of seeing T. rex figures, but the fact that the genus continues to have outdated/inaccurate figures. When we are revealed a Tyrannosaurus that is outdated/inaccurate, it results in backlash over the fact that we could have received something more up to date or a different genus. Like you said though, Tyrannosaurus will definitely not stop receiving figures. Whether they are accurate or not, companies need to sell a genus that is popular, that being Tyrannosaurus, or other genus like Stegosaurus or Giganotosaurus.

As for Velociraptor, I can agree with the fact that it does not need a new figure. I think Safari's is beautiful and there is enough JP style figures of it. Ranging from your company's to Nanmu or Papo.

Off topic but I'd also like to congratulate the sales of the GNG Tyrannosaurus. I am still waiting for the other two color variants to be released, especially the black/white variant.

Halichoeres

That's so depressing. On the other hand, your fan base overlaps with but is distinct from the fan bases of Safari or CollectA or Kaiyodo. It's possible that among their customers the imbalance is less profound. Personally I've purchased about 300 figures in the last four years, but not a single T. rex.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Libraraptor

It seems you just read the title of this thread and the knee-jerk answer was the one most of us would give. But your answer did not fit suspsys question in his first pose.

suspsy

Quote from: Libraraptor on January 04, 2021, 06:08:15 PM

It seems you just read the title of this thread and the knee-jerk answer was the one most of us would give. But your answer did not fit suspsys question in his first pose.

True, but I'm actually glad for their response. It supports my long-held belief that Tyrannosaurus rex is and always will be the cornerstone of the dinosaur toy industry, whether one likes it or not. I should ask CollectA how well their T. rexes sell compared to the rest of their products.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Halichoeres

Quote from: Stolpergeist on January 05, 2021, 04:08:40 AM
I already suspected that the cause of Vitae almost vanishing was the lack of a Tyrannosaurus.
Speaking of it does seem like their Giganotosaurus is their most popular model and that one comes close in terms of genus popularity after all.

Of course it's possible that they might have had more sales if they'd made a Ty***nosaurus, but their disappearance (for a while) seems to owe much more to Cheung choosing an unreliable business partner. There's a long sordid saga that someone explained on the forum once, although I can't find the thread now.

Anyway, I think I'm going to swear off Ty***nosaurus figures for another few years. I'm also swearing off Spinosaurus unless it comes with a fish.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Gwangi

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 05, 2021, 04:36:25 PM
I already suspected that the cause of Vitae almost vanishing was the lack of a Tyrannosaurus.
Speaking of it does seem like their Giganotosaurus is their most popular model and that one comes close in terms of genus popularity after all.

Of course it's possible that they might have had more sales if they'd made a Ty***nosaurus, but their disappearance (for a while) seems to owe much more to Cheung choosing an unreliable business partner. There's a long sordid saga that someone explained on the forum once, although I can't find the thread now.

Anyway, I think I'm going to swear off Ty***nosaurus figures for another few years. I'm also swearing off Spinosaurus unless it comes with a fish.

I think I'm swearing off of Spinosaurus until someone makes one that looks like this.

Or this...

ceratopsian

There were two different versions of the cause of Vitae's earlier temporary disappearance put forward: see earlier in this thread Rebor's Reply #451; and Mirroraptor's report in Reply 457.

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 05, 2021, 04:36:25 PM

Dusty Wren

I'm with you, avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi. I think that second image is my ideal Spino.
Check out my customs thread!

suspsy

Quote from: Gwangi on January 05, 2021, 06:15:58 PM
I think I'm swearing off of Spinosaurus until someone makes one that looks like this.

Or this...

CollectA didn't bestow a Spinosaurus on us this year (probably a smart decision on their part), but there's always 2022.

The most recent Safari woolly rhino is yet another toy I can't see myself ever replacing.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Bread

V-rex by both Rebor and Nanmu (although not released yet) are quite beautiful. Hard to top those.

stargatedalek

I'm going to be the ever the little contrarian and say that there will never be an example for this list, because no matter what even the most amazing sculpt would still be welcome in a new pose for making scenes with.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 05, 2021, 09:00:31 PM
I'm going to be the ever the little contrarian and say that there will never be an example for this list, because no matter what even the most amazing sculpt would still be welcome in a new pose for making scenes with.
I agree with that honestly. Nothing is perfect

Gwangi

I think we can all ultimately agree with that, but it's fun to discuss none-the-less.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Gwangi on January 05, 2021, 10:49:28 PM
I think we can all ultimately agree with that, but it's fun to discuss none-the-less.
True

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: