News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Which Genus Does *NOT* Need A New Toy?

Started by suspsy, December 31, 2020, 02:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

And by that, I don't mean genera that have legions of toys like Velociraptor and Triceratops and T. rex. I mean genera that have been rendered so beautifully in toy form by one company that you truly believe no other company could possibly surpass it?

For example, I think that the Wild Safari Sarcosuchus is so lovely that I would never feel compelled to purchase another.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Syndicate Bias

Bread

What a great idea for a thread, thanks for making/starting it suspy!

PNSO's Corythosaurus is beautiful. I love everything about it. I will say the head and crest are a bit large compared to the body, but I don't think any other company can top it. Especially since the color scheme and application is beautiful.

Safari's Sauropelta is definitely a must have for anyone. I've noticed that the position of the armor plates and spikes are debatable, but I love this figure and I don't see myself buying another Sauropelta. PNSO released one and I was not really happy with it, however it is not a bad figure.

suspsy

Ah yes, the Safari Sauropelta is another one; how stupid not to have thought of it myself!

I would also hold up the Safari mastodon, the PNSO Borealopelta, the CollectA Elasmotherium, and the Eofauna Palaeoloxodon antiquus as being as close to perfection as possible.

Carnoking

Oh man, I saw this thread and I'm like, "here comes everyone saying they're sick of T. rex", so I'm glad it's something a bit different. And now that I said that, I'm about to say that we don't need another JP style T. rex because Nanmu absolutely killed it with their "Alpha" figure.

Carnoking

I'd also add that basically everything PNSO has been doing because they're crushing it. Almost all of their latest offerings have become new favorites of mine in regards to scientific models.

Takama

GIGANOTOSAURUS

Because Eofauna nailed it with there model.

Bread

Quote from: suspsy on December 31, 2020, 03:12:55 AM
Ah yes, the Safari Sauropelta is another one; how stupid not to have thought of it myself!

I would also hold up the Safari mastodon, the PNSO Borealopelta, the CollectA Elasmotherium, and the Eofauna Palaeoloxodon antiquus as being as close to perfection as possible.
Honestly, there are quite a lot of Safari figures that exist that there is no need for a future figure made by a different company. Safari's Coelophysis, Pteranodon, Prestosuchus, Velociraptor, and Deinonychus. Although yes these are based on my opinion of each genus needing a future figure.
Quote from: Carnoking on December 31, 2020, 03:53:11 AM
I'd also add that basically everything PNSO has been doing because they're crushing it. Almost all of their latest offerings have become new favorites of mine in regards to scientific models.
I agree, and hopefully they branch out into more obscure prehistoric life.

John

PNSO's Lambeosaurus comes to mind as a figure done to perfection. :)

Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Leyster

Quote from: Takama on December 31, 2020, 04:08:26 AM
GIGANOTOSAURUS

Because Eofauna nailed it with there model.
Skull is probably very wrong, pubic foot is sticking out. There is still margin to get (way) better.

Quote from: John on December 31, 2020, 06:57:02 AM
PNSO's Lambeosaurus comes to mind as a figure done to perfection. :)
Based on Bertozzo et al, 2016 (https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/joa.13363) at least all present lambeosaurines (maybe hadrosaurines too?) are wrong, lacking a nuchal ligament whose presence is deduced for the first time from a pathological Parasaurolophus.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Duna

If I was a company, the figure I will never do because there is one that is perfect in all ways, is Atlasaurus. It may be the only one figure forever ...

And the others that I have interest in:
Corythosaurus, Lambeosaurus, Ankylosaurus, Tuojiangosaurus, Miragaia, Qianzhousaurus: PNSO.
Giganotosaurus (with the known parts of the skeleton, it's a perfect reconstruction for me), Deinotherium, Atlasaurus. Eofauna.
Stegosaurus, Sarcosuchus, Itchyosaurus, Pteranodon, Coelophysis, Deinonychus, feathered Rex, Camarasaurus. Safari.
JP styled Tyrannosaurus. Nanmu.

John

Like the PNSO Lambeosaurus,the Beasts Of The Mesozoic Protoceratops is perfect too. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

PumperKrickel

Collecta Iguanodon immediately comes to mind

suspsy

Yes, the Eofauna Atlasaurus is another masterpiece. I just wish it wasn't so expensive.

Faelrin

Short of major reconstructions and new fossil evidence (such as the whole Spinosaurus tail thing), or new Beasts of the Mesozoic action figures on these, there are a couple that come to mind. I think many of the ones I'm thinking of have been named already but I will add to the list of who thinks this of them.

From PNSO it is surely their 2020 Lambeosaurus, and many of their 2018 mini figures such as Anchiornis, Mei, Sinosauropteryx, Tianyulong, etc. In regards to the Lambeosaurus I was hoping for years to see a new one and with a green main body color. I could not be more pleased with how it turned out. In regards to many of those mini figures they are the only figures of those, but at the same they are pretty accurate, and additionally for me they are aesthetically pleasing. I hope they do some more of those in the future for nailing some relatively complete, but obscure or neglected genera (such as Kulindadromeus, Juravenator, etc; see my huge wishlist in the hopes and dreams thread). I also think their 2019 Amargasaurus is also beautiful and is my preferred one at this point, other then the Carnegie Collection one almost equally.

From Safari Ltd for me, it is definitely their 2015 Sauropelta, 2017 Coelophysis, 2019 Camarasaurus, 2019 Pteranodon, 2020 Deinonychus, and many others that are currently the only figures of those animals out there. I believe their new for 2021 Baryonyx will join that list for me as well. Between beautiful color schemes, to wonderful accurate sculpt detail and poses, these are some of the best in my collection (well minus the Ceolophysis and Camarasaurus I am still behind with). Many of their mammals such as their American Mastodon, Woolly Rhino, etc, are easily some of the best made for those genera out there. I only hope to see them do more. I nearly have all the ones that were done so far.

As far as ceratopsians go, my go to ones are from Safari Ltd, and the Beasts of the Mesozoic, with one exception included among those. It is the 2020 Wild Past Protoceratops. Unless Safari Ltd ever does one in scale with their 2017 Feathered Velociraptor, but I don't feel I need one particularly at this time.

CollectA has a few as well for me. Their 2018 Deluxe Iguanodon and 2019 Edaphosaurus are so beautifully done. It looks like their new for 2021 Xiphactinus is going on that list. I could say the same about many of their mammals as well (and despite that many which have no alternative on the market either).

Every genus Eofauna touches has been so wonderfully sculpted so far, particularly their mammals.

Despite Papo's 2013 Dimetrodon and 2008 Allosaurus being outdated now, and many new figures of their genera being released years after they released, I still find them some of the most aesthetically pleasing takes on them.

I think as far as Paleozoic stuff, and from the Cambrian, and Burgess Shale specifically, I don't think one could do wrong with both the 2013 Safari Ltd Cambrian Life Toob and 2016 Favorite Cambrian Mini Model set.

For Southlands Replicas it is definitely their 2016 Thylacoleo, and 2018 Diprotodon which I believe are the first toy figures of those animals, and not only that but they are wonderfully sculpted and painted too. Unfortunately the production run on those has been pretty short lived I think, so I hope once and if my situation improves I can get a hold of those soon.

I will also mention that despite their size I feel this way towards many Kaiyodo figures such as their (red) Diplocaulus, Ichthyostega, Bothriolepis (any version, Copepteryx, Meiolania, etc.

I suppose there could be more on this list I am missing, but this is likely the bulk for me at this time.

Edit: Added some year info.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Wallnut

PNSO's pachyrinosaurus lakustai is nearly perfect but we need a pachyrinosaurus canadenensis.

Lanthanotus

Halichoeres

Quote from: Stolpergeist on December 31, 2020, 06:05:29 PM
With extinct fauna one can always do better, especially as our understanding of these animals constantly changes.

I think this is true most of the time, but there are still plenty of taxa for which I don't really want a new version, because I'm so happy with the ones I have. That includes a large fraction of Safari's output, as well as quite a lot of Kaiyodo's invertebrates and fishes.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shonisaurus

The styracosaurus and iguanodon honestly don't need a new toy. Collecta has made two masterful reproductions and I believe they are definitive of those two well-known dinosaurs.

On the other hand the dinotherium, megaloceros, elasmotheium and the paraceratherium, do not need another toy figure, Eofauna, Papo, Collecta and Itoy have made definitive and difficult to overcome figures of these four mammals of the Ice Age or better said of it was Cenozoic.

Reuben03

Ask me when the BOTM exclusive WWD style T.rex comes out and i'll tell you T.rex  ;D

long as my heart's beatin' in my chest
this old dawg ain't about to forget :')

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: