News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Rebor Scientifically Accurate Tyrannosaurus rex "Kiss” and “Tusk”

Started by GojiraGuy1954, June 14, 2021, 08:28:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SRF

avatar_CARN0TAURUS @CARN0TAURUS thanks for posting those two pictures right next to each other. You're absolutely right about the differences so thanks for pointing that out.

I do feel that you are quite harsh on Wilson though. Yes his scales are exaggerated and too big, but the detail is much more crisp on the actual figure than any photo or video can capture. When I compare Wilson to PNSO's newer theropods, there are aspects in which Wilson is superior. For me, Wilson and the 2020 Spinosaurus are still PNSO's best theropods to date. Good point on the arms and feet of Wilson though. They are really well done, perhaps better than on this new Rebor Rex.

I do must say that Kiss demands even much more attention than Wilson does. The coloration on this figure is really striking and yet believable.

But today, I'm just being father

JohannesB

This may not be a strictly scientific observation, but to my mind a Tyrannosaurus without (pronounced, lizard-like) lips would seem more logical, since it would leave the teeth in the upper front jaw completely open and ready for their task: to scrape the flesh off the bones of its prey. Lips would seem to me to get in the way. But maybe I'm wrong, and in that case, the lipped version would be the right one to get. Anyhow, if I were having to choose any one of these two offerings by Rebor right now (I won't get both), I would not know which one to choose. So probably I won't get either. Or maybe I will get the lipped version, if only because I should have at least one very nice Tyrannosaurus figure with lips :P

suspsy

Tigers, lions, bears, wolves, hyenas, and Komodo dragons all have lips, and they have no problem whatsoever with scraping flesh from bones.

For that matter, we humans also have lips and we have no problem scraping flesh from bones either. Have you never eaten ribs or wings or drumsticks?
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

JohannesB

Quote from: suspsy on January 26, 2022, 01:25:26 PM
Tigers, lions, bears, wolves, hyenas, and Komodo dragons all have lips, and they have no problem whatsoever with scraping flesh from bones.

For that matter, we humans also have lips and we have no problem scraping flesh from bones either. Have you never eaten ribs or wings or drumsticks?

Indeed  ;D

Psittacoraptor

It still has Rebor's trademark monstrous and awesome dino aesthetic. Perfect for the edgy manchild marketing this company is known for.

JohannesB

Quote from: Psittacoraptor on January 26, 2022, 01:40:10 PM
It still has Rebor's trademark monstrous and awesome dino aesthetic. Perfect for the edgy manchild marketing this company is known for.

That may be so, but when I compare my Rebor 'King T-Rex' (sic) with this one, they are getting there, I think  ;)

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: SRF on January 26, 2022, 06:35:41 AM
avatar_CARN0TAURUS @CARN0TAURUS thanks for posting those two pictures right next to each other. You're absolutely right about the differences so thanks for pointing that out.

I do feel that you are quite harsh on Wilson though. Yes his scales are exaggerated and too big, but the detail is much more crisp on the actual figure than any photo or video can capture. When I compare Wilson to PNSO's newer theropods, there are aspects in which Wilson is superior. For me, Wilson and the 2020 Spinosaurus are still PNSO's best theropods to date. Good point on the arms and feet of Wilson though. They are really well done, perhaps better than on this new Rebor Rex.

I do must say that Kiss demands even much more attention than Wilson does. The coloration on this figure is really striking and yet believable.

I'm sorry my post was harsh, not my intention at all.  Gamba was my first ever PNSO so from my POV buying wilson 2.0 would be a step backwards.  I haven't even allowed myself to buy Domingo because of the scale issue and carnotaurus is my favorite dinosaur.  I blame PNSO for not buying more of them for two reasons.  One, they have shown everyone the standard they are capable of producing, so they are victims of their own success.  And two, they put out so many figures that one only has to wait for the next reboot of Wilson to get something better if we're willing to wait.

Perhaps if PNSO only put out 2-3 dinosaurs a year I would most likely have bought wilson 2.0.  Sounds silly, right?  But at the rate that they work on perfecting their own figures there is simply no need to compromise.  This is just me and my twisted logic but I feel if I'm going to spend $70 on a single PVC figure I better be close to 100% happy with it.  If you are happy with your wilson 2.0 that is all that matters.  Please don't think anything  I post is designed to take that joy away from you, they are just my sincere feelings on the matter, nothing more.  Eofauna is giving us figures with almost no compromises (maybe paint could be better) but those are going for $33-43 which is still a ways off from $66.99 that Wilson 2.0 is still selling for.

Wilson 2.0 was a very big step in the right direction and it has a lot going for it, but I personally felt that it had too many flaws to justify the cost.  If they had sold Wilson 2.0 in the $30-40 range I might've gotten it but still no guarantee considering that domingo is $38.99 and I refuse to pull the trigger. 

Tracewyrm!

I was initially kind of skeptical of the figure when I saw the unpainted sculpt but now that I see the colour scheme, I can finally say that I'm pleasantly surprised. I've never really been interested in Rebor's figures because of their tendency to make figures based on existing movie designs instead of the animals themselves but this figure is way too good to pass up.
Hopefully any alternative colour schemes they reveal will be just as good as this.
* (It's locked.)

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Psittacoraptor on January 26, 2022, 01:40:10 PM

It's true, they do have a knack for capturing that look in their figures.  But when it comes to T-rex, how do you make it look any less scary than what it actually was?  When I look at pictures of Wilson 2.0 it's there too, once you see pictures of it with it's mouth open the dang thing looks so realistic (except for the integument) that it's terrifying to think what it would've been like to see one up close!  Even Andrea in her passive pose is a terrifying monster, perhaps even more so because the natural pose forces you come to the realization that these horrifying creatures lived, they existed!  So while I agree that Rebor does a fantastic job of posing the brow and the eye in such a way that makes their dinosaurs look extra mean, T-rex doesn't need that because it was already a terrifying beast.  If I didn't get chills seeing their skeletons at museums or holding a good representation in my hands, perhaps it would be because I still hadn't allowed myself to believe that they were once here, they were real, and that I would've been on the menu!

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Kostas2405 on January 26, 2022, 04:11:41 PM
I was initially kind of skeptical of the figure when I saw the unpainted sculpt but now that I see the colour scheme, I can finally say that I'm pleasantly surprised. I've never really been interested in Rebor's figures because of their tendency to make figures based on existing movie designs instead of the animals themselves but this figure is way too good to pass up.
Hopefully any alternative colour schemes they reveal will be just as good as this.

I had a different reaction to the CADs, once I saw them I knew it wouldn't matter if they only produced unfinished versions, I was going to buy both of them regardless.  The sculpt and pose is very close to how I'd like all dinosaur figures to be produced.  Basically the way we see them in science books, a simple walking pose makes them so much easier to display when creating a lineup. 

Unless you're into building space eating dioramas with dramatic poses, then this type of pose is probably boring.

Antey

You have listed mammals whose lips are soft and wrinkle when they bite. First of all, they are needed for sucking milk. Komodo dragons have small teeth compared to their jaws. Look at any Tyrannosaurus skull and try to hide those giant teeth with lips. Lips fall to the floor! lol
Now, however, I'm more concerned about the tail of the new T Rex from Rebor. It's terrible! This is a conical straight stick inserted into his pelvis! If this is not a sketch of a computer model, but a finished tail, then all our disputes about lips and coloration are nothing compared this horror instead of a tail!

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Antey on January 26, 2022, 06:07:52 PM

You have listed mammals whose lips are soft and wrinkle when they bite. First of all, they are needed for sucking milk. Komodo dragons have small teeth compared to their jaws. Look at any Tyrannosaurus skull and try to hide those giant teeth with lips. Lips fall to the floor! lol
Now, however, I'm more concerned about the tail of the new T Rex from Rebor. It's terrible! This is a conical straight stick inserted into his pelvis! If this is not a sketch of a computer model, but a finished tail, then all our disputes about lips and coloration are nothing compared this horror instead of a tail!

Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Tracewyrm!

I'm new to Rebor figures, but don't they have poseable wire tails? The Vanilla Ice Vastatosaurus sure seems to have that so I'm guessing this is the case here too.
* (It's locked.)

Carnoking

Quote from: Kostas2405 on January 26, 2022, 06:19:01 PM

I'm new to Rebor figures, but don't they have poseable wire tails? The Vanilla Ice Vastatosaurus sure seems to have that so I'm guessing this is the case here too.

Even if I agree the form is a bit too conical, it almost certainly will have the bendable wire tail to break up the shape.

Lynx

avatar_Antey @Antey First off, lips are used on almost every terrestrial creature to keep wear and tear from the teeth and restore moisture. Crocodiles do not need it as they spend most of their time underwater. Second off, take a look at a hippo or venomous snake. Massive teeth, right? Completely covered by lips.
You also seem to be exaggerating a bit on the tail. To prevent knock offs, REBOR almost always adds flexible tails, so the tail can easily be changed if you dislike how static it is!  :D

Also, for those of you disliking how sharp the colouration is, REBOR figures final version tends to be a bit duller, and even if the in-hand pictures show otherwise, there will be other colour versions.
An oversized house cat.

JohannesB

Interesting discussion. Well, ultimately I will make a decision based equally on esthetics as well as scientific believability.

Still (since I adhere to the lipless hypothesis - just a choice, I guess, until evidence clears up this issue) I think that the highly specialized front teeth in the upper jaw would be most effective if they were exposed, more or less. (Likely not as extreme as in PNSO's latest Tyrannosaurus model, but then again, who really knows.) But there the 'lipless' Rebor comes in (but it really isn't lipless, if compared to Winter Wilson: the real 'champion of liplessness'), so I too can be happy. And then of course there are lips and there are lips. One can reconstruct them in different ways. As I said, interesting discussion. I am a slow learner, but I am here to learn. And to learn from my mistakes, above all :P

Skorpio V.

Rebor is releasing a lipless version too! Same body sculpt, different head.

On the note of the tail, you can see the seamline and paint difference where the PVC body mould ends and the pliable wire tail begins. It's actually rather noticeable on this prototype, so hopefully they can make the difference less drastic.
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

Duck

Antey, I have a question.
If you accuse this forum of being too negative and critical, why do you bash every figure that most other people praise? It seems very hypocritical of you to do so.
He who dwells in pond

CARN0TAURUS

Antey, from this view the tail appears narrow at the top and gets thicker towards the bottom, maybe it is a bit straight but I'm thinking it'll be posable?  Rebor likes to include tails that bend so maybe it can be posed in a way that pleases the eye more than the straight arrow look seen in these photos?  IDK, I'm just speculating but I think it's interesting that I hadn't even thought about the tail until I read your post, LOL.

GojiraGuy1954

"...and try to hide those giant teeth with lips. Lips fall to the floor! lol"
You're also aware of the phenomenon known as Tooth Slippage, right? Tyrannosaurus teeth were definitely large, but not nearly as long as most fossils will show. This is because during the fossilisation process, when the gums rot away, teeth begun to move and slip out of their sockets, making them appear bigger than they were in reality.
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: