News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Rebor Scientifically Accurate Tyrannosaurus rex "Kiss” and “Tusk”

Started by GojiraGuy1954, June 14, 2021, 08:28:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracewyrm!

Quote from: Skorpio V. on January 27, 2022, 10:15:54 AM
Ooh, the arms are definitely articulated! The promo images for Kiss show them more tucked, these ones are further rotated. I think this is the ideal amount of articulation for a dinosaur figure with the wire tail, articulated jaw, and swivel arms; all of which are rather subtle.

I'm not sure why the arms would be articulated on a Tyrannosaurus of all dinosaurs, but I'm all for it.
* (It's locked.)

CityRaptor

The majority of the old Kenner Jurassic Park Tyrannosaurs could only move their arms.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

SRF

Other Tyrannosaurus from Rebor, like the Killer Queens have articulated arms as well. So in that regard it makes sense that Kiss and Tusk get them as well.
But today, I'm just being father

Lynx

Woah, Tusk looks great! I won't be buying him as that'd be too much money gone, though.
An oversized house cat.

LBDINO

I think the paint jobs will be interchangeable, both paint jobs looks great so far I do prefer this tusk paint job over kisses paint job. Looks more natural and has great variations, cant wait to see what other paint schemes await us for these two.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on January 27, 2022, 09:08:13 AM
If only they were smaller, I would have gone for the lipped one.
But alas as usual, much too big. I will not buy a Tyrannosaurus in 1:30 or larger scale. Not when there are so many 1:35 to 1:40 on the market.

Are these going to be bigger than wilson 2.0?  I also prefer smaller because I can display more stuff at once, how much bigger are we talking?

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Kostas2405 on January 27, 2022, 10:25:24 AM
Quote from: Skorpio V. on January 27, 2022, 10:15:54 AM
Ooh, the arms are definitely articulated! The promo images for Kiss show them more tucked, these ones are further rotated. I think this is the ideal amount of articulation for a dinosaur figure with the wire tail, articulated jaw, and swivel arms; all of which are rather subtle.

I'm not sure why the arms would be articulated on a Tyrannosaurus of all dinosaurs, but I'm all for it.

Rebor does that with their figures, articulated arms, jaws, and posable tails.  At least they don't articulate the legs, LOL.

CARN0TAURUS

This reminds me a lot of the old King T-rex colors and this would be my preference in color but since I'll be buying both sculpts I'm fine getting the black headed one too.  But I'm hoping they announce more color options for both.

Bread

Ooooh, interesting call back to their King T. rex. I still prefer their lipped version but their non-lipped version works with those colors soooo well.

I hope Rebor starts to produce more scientific models like this from seeing how much hype this figure is bringing to at the moment.

Lynx

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on January 27, 2022, 03:44:28 PM
But alas as usual, much too big. I will not buy a Tyrannosaurus in 1:30 or larger scale. Not when there are so many 1:35 to 1:40 on the market.

Are these going to be bigger than Wilson 2.0?  I also prefer smaller because I can display more stuff at once, how much bigger are we talking?

I would assume it would be 1:35 or slightly larger? I personally don't mind 1:30+, but REBOR rarely sticks with the set scales
Let us use their "Killer Queen" rex shown in the example for Kiss. They are roughly the same size, but Kiss towers slightly higher thanks to the posture. Both are in the 1:35 scale according to Everything Dinosaurs and scale quite well with Wilson from what I have seen.
Wilson also is very low to the ground, so it can quite easily look smaller. avatar_CARN0TAURUS @CARN0TAURUS avatar_Gothmog the Baryonyx @Gothmog the Baryonyx
An oversized house cat.

SRF

Quote from: Lynx on January 27, 2022, 04:17:07 PM

Are these going to be bigger than Wilson 2.0?  I also prefer smaller because I can display more stuff at once, how much bigger are we talking?

I would assume it would be 1:35 or slightly larger? I personally don't mind 1:30+, but REBOR rarely sticks with the set scales
Let us use their "Killer Queen" rex shown in the example for Kiss. They are roughly the same size, but Kiss towers slightly higher thanks to the posture. Both are in the 1:35 scale according to Everything Dinosaurs and scale quite well with Wilson from what I have seen.
Wilson also is very low to the ground, so it can quite easily look smaller. avatar_CARN0TAURUS @CARN0TAURUS avatar_Gothmog the Baryonyx @Gothmog the Baryonyx

The Killer Queen T. Rexes are actually around 39-40 cm long. The heads on these figures are also a bit larger than on PNSO's Wilson. Making these figures more around 1:30 scale than 1:35.

Lynx

Quote from: SRF on January 27, 2022, 05:14:08 PM

The Killer Queen T. Rexes are actually around 39-40 cm long. The heads on these figures are also a bit larger than on PNSO's Wilson. Making these figures more around 1:30 scale than 1:35.

I'd say that 1:30 is still a bit of a stretch. In my opinion, these could work perfectly fine with Wilson and other 1:35 figures. You just have to call it a rather healthy and large individual. Of course, I am no expert on scale. I'll have to check it myself to see what it rounds up to.
An oversized house cat.

Tracewyrm!

Quote from: Lynx on January 27, 2022, 05:35:35 PM
Quote from: SRF on January 27, 2022, 05:14:08 PM

I'd say that 1:30 is still a bit of a stretch. In my opinion, these could work perfectly fine with Wilson and other 1:35 figures. You just have to call it a rather healthy and large individual. Of course, I am no expert on scale. I'll have to check it myself to see what it rounds up to.
At 1:35 (assuming a 40cm figure), this figure would represent a 14 meter individual, which is quite a bit larger than Sue's estimated 12.3-12.5 meters, but still not too far of a stretch if you ask me. I understand why someone would pass this figure, expecially if they have a strict scale range, but personally I'm willing to put up with some minor scaling issues in my collection if its a figure as good looking as this.
* (It's locked.)

Antey

I would like to see the new Rex from Rebor in reality. Although my big dream is for Blue Rhino Studio to start making toys based on their full size museum reconstructions. Their Sue would be a real bomb in the market, regardless of the price. In the meantime, we are waiting for Rebor. LOL They seem to have heard my dissatisfaction with the color of the Kiss and gave a more natural color to the Tusk. Maybe this means that Rebor is also considered a more natural tyrannosaurus rex without lips?

SRF

Well a 14 meter long T. Rex wouldn't be accurate at all. Wilson is based of AMNH 5027 and is about accurate to represent that specimen in 1:35 scale, but is actually a bit on the large size even. Kiss and Tusk would be a lot bigger than an accurate 1:35 representation of larger specimens like Sue and Scotty, which are all still under 13 meters long. Also if the head of Kiss and Tusk is the same size as the Killer Queen Rexes, 1:30 would be about the accurate scale for representing Sue's head. 

I don't mind that these Rexes are a bit bigger and I'll probably get both to display them together. But I won't display them next to Wilson because they are simply not in the same scale.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Bread on January 27, 2022, 04:12:18 PM
Ooooh, interesting call back to their King T. rex. I still prefer their lipped version but their non-lipped version works with those colors soooo well.

I hope Rebor starts to produce more scientific models like this from seeing how much hype this figure is bringing to at the moment.

^^^THIS, so far first Eofauna and then PNSO have used the CADs to produce molds.  Everyone else needs to catch up and some manufacturers might die out, but others will adapt and new ones will be born.  In the next five years the prices on these scanned CAD molds is going to drop as more manufacturers convert to the new technology.  PNSO is not really challenged by anyone ATM because Eofauna just doesn't produce that many figures.  It's up to Rebor, Mojo, Papo, CollectA, and Safari to adapt and rise to this new standard.  I for one hope they all survive and that they begin to collectively give PNSO a run for their money.  PNSO prices are out of control right now because they basically have a monopoly on this new scientifically and technology driven development.  If a big manufacturer like Rebor can't help level the playing field then we'll be paying $200 dollars for new PNSO dinosaurs before you know it.

Lynx

An oversized house cat.

CARN0TAURUS

I've seen on videos how wilson 2.0 sizes up to figures I already own as long as these two are in Wilson's wheelhouse I'll definitely be buying them.  If they are huge like 15-20% larger than wilson then the deal is off for me buying them.  I can't wait to see reviews of these guys so I can decide what'll I'll do.  ATM a huge size is the only thing that'll deter me from buying these.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Antey on January 27, 2022, 06:08:29 PM
I would like to see the new Rex from Rebor in reality. Although my big dream is for Blue Rhino Studio to start making toys based on their full size museum reconstructions. Their Sue would be a real bomb in the market, regardless of the price. In the meantime, we are waiting for Rebor. LOL They seem to have heard my dissatisfaction with the color of the Kiss and gave a more natural color to the Tusk. Maybe this means that Rebor is also considered a more natural tyrannosaurus rex without lips?

LOL, Antey, why do you enjoy provoking these guys so much?  You know how much they like their lipped dinosaurs ;)

I agree with you tho, we need more companies producing these CAD molded toys, it'll create competition for PNSO and drive the prices down a bit.  PNSO's prices are ridiculous right now and we're buying them because no one else besides Eofauna has been making their molds using CAD technology.  Now Rebor is taking the plunge so hopefully this will sell well and help create competition for PNSO.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: SRF on January 27, 2022, 06:11:45 PM
Well a 14 meter long T. Rex wouldn't be accurate at all. Wilson is based of AMNH 5027 and is about accurate to represent that specimen in 1:35 scale, but is actually a bit on the large size even. Kiss and Tusk would be a lot bigger than an accurate 1:35 representation of larger specimens like Sue and Scotty, which are all still under 13 meters long. Also if the head of Kiss and Tusk is the same size as the Killer Queen Rexes, 1:30 would be about the accurate scale for representing Sue's head. 

I don't mind that these Rexes are a bit bigger and I'll probably get both to display them together. But I won't display them next to Wilson because they are simply not in the same scale.

I don't like the sound of this because I don't want giant dinosaurs that won't pose with anything else.  I crunched the math and according to what you are saying tusk and kiss will be about 14% larger than Wilson 2.0.  That might be too much for me and it's not a question of money, I'd pay the same price for a 1/35 scale version.  Why is Rebor pushing bigger pieces is this something you guys prefer?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: