News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Rebor Scientifically Accurate Tyrannosaurus rex "Kiss” and “Tusk”

Started by GojiraGuy1954, June 14, 2021, 08:28:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Quote from: Antey on January 26, 2022, 06:07:52 PM
You have listed mammals whose lips are soft and wrinkle when they bite. First of all, they are needed for sucking milk. Komodo dragons have small teeth compared to their jaws. Look at any Tyrannosaurus skull and try to hide those giant teeth with lips. Lips fall to the floor! lol

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. I suggest that you take a good look at the images of the Komodo dragon skull that were posted above if you haven't already. And then you can take a good look at this skull of a crocodile monitor. It is clear that the teeth are proportionally larger than a T. rex's, yet they are completely covered by tissue in life.

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Skorpio V. on January 26, 2022, 09:15:27 PM
You have listed mammals whose lips are soft and wrinkle when they bite. First of all, they are needed for sucking milk. Komodo dragons have small teeth compared to their jaws. Look at any Tyrannosaurus skull and try to hide those giant teeth with lips. Lips fall to the floor! lol
Now, however, I'm more concerned about the tail of the new T Rex from Rebor. It's terrible! This is a conical straight stick inserted into his pelvis! If this is not a sketch of a computer model, but a finished tail, then all our disputes about lips and coloration are nothing compared this horror instead of a tail!
Rebor is releasing a lipless version too! Same body sculpt, different head.

On the note of the tail, you can see the seamline and paint difference where the PVC body mould ends and the pliable wire tail begins. It's actually rather noticeable on this prototype, so hopefully they can make the difference less drastic.

Skorpio V,

I'm trying really hard to see what you are talking about, if I count the stripes backwards from the tip of the tail, where is the area you are referring too?  I'm not being a smart aleck, I honestly can't find the seam you refer to.

SidB

Quote from: Duck on January 26, 2022, 09:24:36 PM
Quote from: suspsy on January 26, 2022, 01:25:26 PM
Tigers, lions, bears, wolves, hyenas, and Komodo dragons all have lips, and they have no problem whatsoever with scraping flesh from bones.

For that matter, we humans also have lips and we have no problem scraping flesh from bones either. Have you never eaten ribs or wings or drumsticks?
Now, however, I'm more concerned about the tail of the new T Rex from Rebor. It's terrible! This is a conical straight stick inserted into his pelvis! If this is not a sketch of a computer model, but a finished tail, then all our disputes about lips and coloration are nothing compared this horror instead of a tail!
Antey, I have a question.
If you accuse this forum of being too negative and critical, why do you bash every figure that most other people praise? It seems very hypocritical of you to do so.
I'm not a moderator, avatar_Duck @Duck , but you'll notice that avatar_Antey @Antey did not attack anyone personally, nor insult them. I don't think that anything is gained by criticizing him in this way. He has the right to express his opinion about this product, regardless of any previous history.

Tracewyrm!

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on January 26, 2022, 10:05:18 PM
Quote from: Skorpio V. on January 26, 2022, 09:15:27 PM
Rebor is releasing a lipless version too! Same body sculpt, different head.

On the note of the tail, you can see the seamline and paint difference where the PVC body mould ends and the pliable wire tail begins. It's actually rather noticeable on this prototype, so hopefully they can make the difference less drastic.

Skorpio V,

I'm trying really hard to see what you are talking about, if I count the stripes backwards from the tip of the tail, where is the area you are referring too?  I'm not being a smart aleck, I honestly can't find the seam you refer to.
The line isn't very visible in the painted prototype, but you can sort of see it at the base of the tail in the image Rebor released of the unpainted sculpt.
It's still kind of hard to see but it is there as far as I can tell
* (It's locked.)

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: SidB on January 26, 2022, 10:06:55 PM
Tigers, lions, bears, wolves, hyenas, and Komodo dragons all have lips, and they have no problem whatsoever with scraping flesh from bones.

For that matter, we humans also have lips and we have no problem scraping flesh from bones either. Have you never eaten ribs or wings or drumsticks?
If you accuse this forum of being too negative and critical, why do you bash every figure that most other people praise? It seems very hypocritical of you to do so.
I'm not a moderator, avatar_Duck @Duck , but you'll notice that avatar_Antey @Antey did not attack anyone personally, nor insult them. I don't think that anything is gained by criticizing him in this way. He has the right to express his opinion about this product, regardless of any previous history.

I agree with SidB, Antey is a dino loving brother, whatever nastiness has occurred in the past can't we just bury the hatchet instead of dredging it up all over the forum? 

CARN0TAURUS

The line isn't very visible in the painted prototype, but you can sort of see it at the base of the tail in the image Rebor released of the unpainted sculpt.
It's still kind of hard to see but it is there as far as I can tell
[/quote]

Hey thanks for posting that!  Yes, I see it now and going back to the painted one the body does look darker than the tail like Skorpio V said.

avatar_Antey @Antey, look at this black and white image you can tell the tail is not conical, the spinal vertebrae on top of tail form a ridge that can be seen in shadow directly below before the muscles begin to bulge out.  This is a case of waiting to see it in hand I think, the conical look is an optical illusion on the painted version maybe due to the stripes?  IDK

Duck

Quote from: SidB on January 26, 2022, 10:06:55 PM

After thinking about it, I agree. I shouldn't be criticizing people for their pasts.
He who dwells in pond

RaptorRex

Victoria the T. rex inspired version please, Rebor!

Shadowknight1

Honestly, I find it amusing that some are fixated on the straight tail(not just here, but in the Facebook comments as well).  The same was true of the Saurophaganax, but when the product images were revealed leading up to pre-orders being available, the tail was shown flexed.  The same will happen with this rex.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on January 27, 2022, 02:18:12 AM
Honestly, I find it amusing that some are fixated on the straight tail(not just here, but in the Facebook comments as well).  The same was true of the Saurophaganax, but when the product images were revealed leading up to pre-orders being available, the tail was shown flexed.  The same will happen with this rex.

I have a question about these pliable tails, do they move up and down too or are they restricted to side to side movement?  I only ask because I'm buying both and I'd really like to replicate that gentle sag towards the tip of the tail.   A little bit of  sag is accepted as accurate by todays scientific standards, correct?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on January 27, 2022, 03:40:45 AM

I have a question about these pliable tails, do they move up and down too or are they restricted to side to side movement?  I only ask because I'm buying both and I'd really like to replicate that gentle sag towards the tip of the tail.   A little bit of  sag is accepted as accurate by todays scientific standards, correct?

The Carnotaurus tails can bend up or down for the first 3-4" at least.

Antey

I like the head sculpt, at least the one without lips. The tail will probably curve, which is good. But I don't like its thickness. The caudofemoral muscles should be better defined, and I can hardly see them. Another claim is the relationship between body parts. The head is large, and the body seems not powerful enough, the tail is even thinner. The figure resembles a tadpole in proportions. But I want to emphasize that these are only preliminary thoughts. Often after the release, the opinion changes, because it is better to judge by the final result. And the figurine in the hands is often very different from the photo. Well, it would be nice to make the color solution more modest and realistic. After all, the Tyrannosaurus rex is a giant predator, not a pet parakeet.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Antey on January 27, 2022, 05:24:46 AM
I like the head sculpt, at least the one without lips. The tail will probably curve, which is good. But I don't like its thickness. The caudofemoral muscles should be better defined, and I can hardly see them. Another claim is the relationship between body parts. The head is large, and the body seems not powerful enough, the tail is even thinner. The figure resembles a tadpole in proportions. But I want to emphasize that these are only preliminary thoughts. Often after the release, the opinion changes, because it is better to judge by the final result. And the figurine in the hands is often very different from the photo. Well, it would be nice to make the color solution more modest and realistic. After all, the Tyrannosaurus rex is a giant predator, not a pet parakeet.

If this was the only color they made I would still buy it but I'm not liking this coloration either.  Seems really popular with most of the guys here tho.  Rebor has been very good about releasing multiple paint variations, hopefully they do a brightly colored one that stands out more.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

If only they were smaller, I would have gone for the lipped one.
But alas as usual, much too big. I will not buy a Tyrannosaurus in 1:30 or larger scale. Not when there are so many 1:35 to 1:40 on the market.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

SRF

And now Tusk gets a reveal:

I wonder if both color schemes are interchangable. But for now I definitely prefer Kiss over Tusk.

Edit: I feel Tusk is very reminiscent of PNSO's Wilson. Even the claws are the same color.
But today, I'm just being father

Carnoking

I actually think the King Rex scheme looks pretty good on an accurate rendition. I can already tell this will not be an easy decision if the colors are interchanged between Kiss and Tusk...
On the other hand, part of me considered getting one version of each seeing as there's still studies to be made regarding which is correct (as evidenced by the recent paper brought up in those videos I posted).
Personally though, I adhere more to the lipped model, and at the end of the day I'd rather get two of the same sculpt to play off of each other rather than getting one lipped and one lipless and having them look like opposing ideas on the shelf. I suppose time will help me make a decision but I'm excited to see what else REBOR have up their sleeves for this sculpt.

SRF

The more I think about it, the more it would make sense to me that these color schemes are exlusive to each version of this T. Rex, with only one color scheme available for each.

Rebor did the same with the Carnotaurus Rex and the Ekrixinatosaurus, which were also two almost identical sculpts released in only one color scheme each initially. Releasing only one color scheme of each version would also increase the chance that someone buys both versions, so from a business standpoint it makes sense as well.

So if Rebor decides to use multiple color schemes on each version, I don't think they'll overlap. I am still hoping that they release a lipped version in the Saurian color scheme though. 
But today, I'm just being father

Tracewyrm!

Although I prefer Kiss (I tend to lean on the lipped side of the debate, though it's still too early for me to decide, frankly), I am definitely surprised by how good the painted figure looks, much like my initial reaction to Kiss. I hope that the King Rex scheme will also be available for Kiss, because it looks absolutely stunning on Tusk.

Personal preferences aside, both variants of this Rex sculpt are amazing.

It'd be unfortunate if the colour schemes were exclusive to each variant, but it would make sense from a business perspective. Hopefully we get to see more paint schemes soon.
* (It's locked.)

Skorpio V.

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on January 27, 2022, 03:40:45 AM

These show the extent of their pliability. Wire poseability is great!
Spoiler

[close]

Quote from: SRF on January 27, 2022, 09:37:09 AM
And now Tusk gets a reveal:

Ooh, the arms are definitely articulated! The promo images for Kiss show them more tucked, these ones are further rotated. I think this is the ideal amount of articulation for a dinosaur figure with the wire tail, articulated jaw, and swivel arms; all of which are rather subtle.
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: