News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Rebor Scientifically Accurate Tyrannosaurus rex "Kiss” and “Tusk”

Started by GojiraGuy1954, June 14, 2021, 08:28:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SRF

Quote from: Flaffy on January 25, 2022, 03:34:50 PM
I feel like collectors can comfortably display both 2021 Wilson and Rebor's new rex together; as the former depicts a "gracile morph", while the latter depicts a "robust morph" of the genus.

If you want to display a gracile and a robust morph together, just display Wilson with PNSO's Andrea in stead. While Wilson is in almost exactly 1:35 scale for AMNH 5027, this Rebor Rex will be too big to represent a 1:35 Sue or even Scotty. Rebor can advertise it as a 1:35 figure, but their products actually never are in that scale if I'm not mistaken.
But today, I'm just being father

Carnoking

I just realized, the head puts me in mind of WWD T. rex (with red brows instead of a red throat)

Faelrin

avatar_Lynx @Lynx Yeah that is true. I'll just need to be patient I guess.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Duna

I love Blue Rhino's both rex statues, Sue and Stan. I'd love a Sue, in those colours.

JohannesB

Quote from: Flaffy on January 25, 2022, 03:12:35 PM
Colour scheme seems to be based on Blue Rhino Studio's Stan.

I see where Rebor got their inspiration from ;-) The colours on BRS's 'Stan' look more subtle, though. On the Rebor, the colours are a bit too intense, but still nice, in my opinion. A somewhat more 'greyish' or less saturated paint scheme would be nice (indeed, hopefully more in the style of BRS's 'Sue')

SRF

It's only now after looking back to the first images of the development of this Rex, that I realize how they pulled of to make two different versions of it. It's only by replacing the lower jaw for a narrower one that tucks in the upper jaw. Besides the lower jaw, the head sculpt is exactly the same. That's some clever engineering.

But today, I'm just being father

Bread

Speaking of the lipped and non-lipped variations, I wonder which out of the two would sell more of.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Bread on January 25, 2022, 04:25:17 PM
Speaking of the lipped and non-lipped variations, I wonder which out of the two would sell more of.

Are there more scientific fans or just awesome dino fans? lol   Honestly this is a good move on Rebor's part.  It gives everyone something and anyone on either side of the fans or the issue can purchase it.

Samrukia

if only Rebor shared statistics after some period of time.. that would be quite interesting to see if we are ready for lipped therapods

i vote for lipped version :)

Bread

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 25, 2022, 04:38:44 PM

Are there more scientific fans or just awesome dino fans? lol   Honestly this is a good move on Rebor's part.  It gives everyone something and anyone on either side of the fans or the issue can purchase it.
I would say these are both scientific as lips are not confirmed. Like you said though, good part on Rebor regardless.
Quote from: erlectric on January 25, 2022, 04:44:41 PM

if only Rebor shared statistics after some period of time.. that would be quite interesting to see if we are ready for lipped therapods

I would hope Rebor would share that info. Although I may be in between the whole lip debate, I am going to go for the lipped variant as I already have Nanmu's buck, would represent cinema vs. reality very well!

Lynx

Considering REBOR is aiming more for the collecting community, I'd think the lipped one would sell better as it is being hyped up more at the moment.
There are also no other fully lipped figures that aren't models of this quality.
An oversized house cat.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Bread on January 25, 2022, 04:58:44 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 25, 2022, 04:38:44 PM

I would say these are both scientific as lips are not confirmed. Like you said though, good part on Rebor regardless.
Quote from: erlectric on January 25, 2022, 04:44:41 PM

I would hope Rebor would share that info. Although I may be in between the whole lip debate, I am going to go for the lipped variant as I already have Nanmu's buck, would represent cinema vs. reality very well!

That's why I said no matter which side your on even in the scientific debate. ;)

I have the Killer Queen in Brown so I can display it right beside her for looks if I choose, both being Rebor helps show the progress they've had as a company too.  For example we were talking scale size, KQ has big scales and super texture compare to this one.

Grimbeard

That paint scheme looks gorgeous , really hits the sweet spot between colorfull but not too flashy and still belivable.  The sculp looks great too, beefy but still very muscular. Also like the idea with two version for lipped and lipless for dealing with controversial theories like this.

I will keep my eye on that one, especially once in-hand pictures are avaiable.

Fembrogon

I'll echo sentiments on digging that color scheme; it reminds me of a big gila monster. Good catch on the Blue Rhino comparison, though, avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy; that's certainly a great source to draw inspiration from!

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Grimbeard on January 25, 2022, 06:57:00 PM
That paint scheme looks gorgeous , really hits the sweet spot between colorfull but not too flashy and still belivable.  The sculp looks great too, beefy but still very muscular. Also like the idea with two version for lipped and lipless for dealing with controversial theories like this.

I will keep my eye on that one, especially once in-hand pictures are avaiable.
To be fair lips are only controversial because of a rampant palaeomeme from the 80s
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Stegotyranno420

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: SRF on January 25, 2022, 04:10:48 PM
It's only now after looking back to the first images of the development of this Rex, that I realize how they pulled of to make two different versions of it. It's only by replacing the lower jaw for a narrower one that tucks in the upper jaw. Besides the lower jaw, the head sculpt is exactly the same. That's some clever engineering.

Yes and No, they definitely designed both molds using the same upper part of the head like the crest area, the eye area, and the top of the nose area.  But they had to cut two separate molds because the area below the nostrils on the lipped version is definitely different.  So it wasn't a matter of just replacing the lower jaw, the upper lip hangs lower just enough to meet up with the wider lower jaw on the lipped.  Look at the images closely and you'll see how different the scale patterns are on both upper head versions.  Start at the nostrils and work your way down and you'll see the difference.

They definitely had to cut separate molds for the two types of heads.  So yes, the very top of the head is probably identical on both because they used the same computer generated sculpture but the upper lip is definitely different on them.  So some computer generated cut and paste but no molding shortcuts here, they definitely paid both versions the respect that they deserved.

CARN0TAURUS

SRF,  focus on the area directly in front and under the nostrils, it clearly hangs lower on the lipped version and wraps around the teeth.  On the non lipped that area flares up a little instead of wrapping around the teeth.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Bread on January 25, 2022, 03:02:09 PM
Quote from: LBDINO on January 25, 2022, 02:52:02 PM
I would like to hear some of your thoughts on this t rex ive read a few already, but how scientifically accurate is this t rex. How would you compare it to the pnso wilson which was considered the too t rex by lost on the market
I believe someone mentioned this early on with the reveal of this figure that the scales are oversized, but based on what I see with the color scheme applied it is really hard to tell. Wilson for sure has inaccurate large scales compared to Rebor's. Another issue for Wilson was the overall mouth of the figure. Teeth were way too long, and this is where I find Rebor's to be vastly superior/smart way to go by providing both lipped and non-lipped versions. Since lips are still debatable I think Rebor really nailed this.
I didn't buy wilson because of the scales, I agree the teeth are oversized too but that alone wouldn't have prevented me from buying it.  It was just the scales, they look weird they're so over done.  The scales on this new rebor are big too but nothing compared to the popcorn ceiling look on the PNSO.  The PNSO also has some other issues I don't like, like the pose, he looks like he's lunging or something.  The Rebor has a more natural and realistic walking pose because the chest is higher.  Rebor also has larger eyes which look more in scale with the head, Wilson's eyes have always looked undersized to me for some reason.

The PNSO also has some advantages over the Rebor.  Just from looking at images, I can tell that the PNSO is superior in the arms, those guys have mastered burying part of the upper arm into the body in a way that looks so real and convincing and I'm also a fan of Wilson's hands, PNSO is fantastic with the theropod hands except maybe on paul with the missing largeness on the first claw.  It's hard to say without holding both in my hands but my eyes tell me Wilsons feet are better proportioned too, IDK.  The claws on the Rebor have the old school depiction coming out of the front of the toe and sharp tips are not realistic.  On Wilson you get that more realistic ratite design with the blunted tips of the nails. 

So even though I'll never buy wilson 2.0, it still has some advantages over this new Rebor.  It won't stop me from buying the Rebors tho.  Watch out for Wilson 3.0 tho because that thing is going to be amazing once they correct all the issues on the current Wilson.  Rebor is still playing catch up but I love what they did here with these two figures.  Can't wait to add both of them to the collection :)

Skorpio V.

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on January 26, 2022, 04:25:34 AM
Quote from: Bread on January 25, 2022, 03:02:09 PM
Quote from: LBDINO on January 25, 2022, 02:52:02 PM
I would like to hear some of your thoughts on this t rex ive read a few already, but how scientifically accurate is this t rex. How would you compare it to the pnso wilson which was considered the too t rex by lost on the market
I believe someone mentioned this early on with the reveal of this figure that the scales are oversized, but based on what I see with the color scheme applied it is really hard to tell. Wilson for sure has inaccurate large scales compared to Rebor's. Another issue for Wilson was the overall mouth of the figure. Teeth were way too long, and this is where I find Rebor's to be vastly superior/smart way to go by providing both lipped and non-lipped versions. Since lips are still debatable I think Rebor really nailed this.
The PNSO also has some advantages over the Rebor.  Just from looking at images, I can tell that the PNSO is superior in the arms, those guys have mastered burying part of the upper arm into the body in a way that looks so real and convincing and I'm also a fan of Wilson's hands, PNSO is fantastic with the theropod hands except maybe on paul with the missing largeness on the first claw.  It's hard to say without holding both in my hands but my eyes tell me Wilsons feet are better proportioned too, IDK.  The claws on the Rebor have the old school depiction coming out of the front of the toe and sharp tips are not realistic.  On Wilson you get that more realistic ratite design with the blunted tips of the nails. 
I agree with this, but man, Rebor's upsides still outweigh PNSO's by a lot; while PNSO's advantages are restricted to smaller areas, scale detail is more universal and the head is the most focused-on point of a Tyrannosaurus. Also, Rebor's arms are likely articulated from the looks of it.

This figure has me absolutely ecstatic. It's been a while since I've been this anticipated over prototype images!!
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: