News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Rebor Scientifically Accurate Tyrannosaurus rex "Kiss” and “Tusk”

Started by GojiraGuy1954, June 14, 2021, 08:28:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rain

I know some of it will be lost between the printing and mold making process but I'm not to keen on that level of detail, it's looking a bit over textured. Hoping the final product looks more like the GNG rex than the killer queen rex.

JohannesB

I won't buy both (if I buy one at all), but I can't yet make a choice between this T. rex and Nanmu's upcoming 'Once and Future King'. Of course, Rebor's is just in development, so maybe the choice will be more easy (or even more difficult, who knows..).

SRF

Rebor announced that Kiss will get a lipless counter part called Tusk. They almost show the full detail of the sculpt with this reveal.

But today, I'm just being father

JohannesB

If only they would make the tail more beefy too (bulging more behind the hips, indicating the big retractor muscles). It looks a bit emaciated. I could be wrong, of course. But it is typical how the tail is seemingly treated like an afterthought, illustrated wonderfully by this image, where it is obscured and undefined/unrendered. But then again, I might be proven wrong :-)

Shonisaurus

I prefer this tyrannosaurus Rebor figure than models from other factories, some recent both scientific and not. I sincerely have the impression that this tyrannosaurus will not have stability problems and is far superior to its recent counterparts carnotaurus and ekrixinatosaurus "epitaph", not only because it is a scientific figure but also because the sculpture is more finished.

SRF

avatar_JohannesB @Archosaur looking at the pictures in the opening post of this thread, I don't think the tail is too skinny. It seems bulkier to me than the tail of Winter Wilson for instance.

I assume the tail is going to be a seperate part of the model, just like with their other theropods like the Killer Queen Rexes. That may explain why it is rendered last, since the detailing must be done in a way that the seem will not be too visible.

avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus I think it's a bit early to give this model the edge over other T. Rex models that are released recently. Those who prefer lips on their theropods will most likely prefer this one over PNSO's Rexes, but we don't know anything yet of the colors and pose of Rebors new Rex models. That also means that we don't know how the stability of this figure will be. I don't think this will be the final pose.

REBOR_STUDIO

Quote from: Archosaur on July 08, 2021, 09:13:04 AM
If only they would make the tail more beefy too (bulging more behind the hips, indicating the big retractor muscles). It looks a bit emaciated. I could be wrong, of course. But it is typical how the tail is seemingly treated like an afterthought, illustrated wonderfully by this image, where it is obscured and undefined/unrendered. But then again, I might be proven wrong :-)

It's caused by Zbrush's dynamic perspective view, the tail is beefy enough ;)

suspsy

Quote from: SRF on July 08, 2021, 07:58:13 AM
Rebor announced that Kiss will get a lipless counter part called Tusk. They almost show the full detail of the sculpt with this reveal.

Smart move.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

REBOR_STUDIO

Quote from: SRF on July 08, 2021, 01:11:14 PM
avatar_JohannesB @Archosaur looking at the pictures in the opening post of this thread, I don't think the tail is too skinny. It seems bulkier to me than the tail of Winter Wilson for instance.

I assume the tail is going to be a seperate part of the model, just like with their other theropods like the Killer Queen Rexes. That may explain why it is rendered last, since the detailing must be done in a way that the seem will not be too visible.

avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus I think it's a bit early to give this model the edge over other T. Rex models that are released recently. Those who prefer lips on their theropods will most likely prefer this one over PNSO's Rexes, but we don't know anything yet of the colors and pose of Rebors new Rex models. That also means that we don't know how the stability of this figure will be. I don't think this will be the final pose.

Remember guys this is not a competition, PNSO's Wilson is a stunning figure.

We just want to make one rex called "Kiss" and one rex called "Tusk" that's all, the names came first before the actual sculpts ;D

sauroid

i for one cant wait to see the final outcome of the two versions of this T. rex.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

SRF

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on July 08, 2021, 01:44:48 PM

We just want to make one rex called "Kiss" and one rex called "Tusk" that's all, the names came first before the actual sculpts ;D

I know it's not. It's not Euro 2020  ;)

But when it comes to T. Rex, logically we're going to debate which model is the most accurate or "best" one on the market. And since there are not that many theropod models with lips in general, I think this one will definitely please some of us.

Is there anything known yet of its size avatar_REBOR_STUDIO @REBOR_STUDIO?

Faelrin

Gotta say I think I'm starting to lean on this one (well the lipped variant), for a non articulated updated T. rex for my collection. It is quite smart to do both a lipless and lipped version because of people's preferences, but also because nothing is set in stone until we have more evidence, even if a lot of scientific consensus is moving towards theropods having lips. It will be interesting to see which of the two sells better in the end.

While I think the scales could be a bit finer (like on the BotM Tyrannosaurus, and possibly the upcoming PNSO Andrea), such as on the face, however it does appear to be much finer then on PNSO's Wilson, and I like how the scales are being applied to the sculpt so far.

Now I'm just curious about the coloration and scale (1:35 - 1:30?) and eventual cost. I'm also wondering if this will have an articulated jaw and what the final pose will be (though I must say I am fine with the current one as is). Will there be coloration variants as well?

Lastly I am also impressed with the lack of shrinkwrapping I am seeing, especially on the head. Like it looks on par with the Safari Ltd Feathered T. rex, perhaps PNSO's Wilson & Andrea, and the upcoming BotM T. rex figures.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

REBOR_STUDIO

Quote from: SRF on July 08, 2021, 02:08:34 PM

But when it comes to T. Rex, logically we're going to debate which model is the most accurate or "best" one on the market. And since there are not that many theropod models with lips in general, I think this one will definitely please some of us.

I see what you did there. It's coming home anyway ;)

It's going to be a 1:35 scale figure so probably around 39-40cm long.

SRF

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on July 08, 2021, 02:47:51 PM

Yeah well being Dutch, we're already at home now anyway.  :-[

I don't want to be nitpicky, but that's actually too big for T. Rex to be in true 1:35 scale.

sauroid

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on July 08, 2021, 02:47:51 PM

glad to hear that it's going to be 1:35. btw, whats the scale of the GnG rexes?
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

JohannesB

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on July 08, 2021, 01:36:44 PM
Quote from: Archosaur on July 08, 2021, 09:13:04 AM

It's caused by Zbrush's dynamic perspective view, the tail is beefy enough ;)

Excellent

Faelrin

And it appears both the "Kiss" and "Tusk" T. rex are done now, at least as far as sculpting details. Looks like pose is next in line.

From the looks of it, I'm guessing these will have the articulated jaws, arms, and bendy tails like on many of their other figures?

Pics from their FB page:

From a slightly older post showing how the belly scales were sculpted:

I must say I am very much impressed with how these have turned out so far. Only second to the BotM one for me, in terms of anatomy so far, and potentially colorations, but those wait to be seen for now. I wonder if this will be the first lipped T. rex into production and/or hit the market (other then BotM's)? Unless Safari Ltd surprises us with one for next year. We will see.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Bread

Thanks for the news and photos avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin

I have to agree with Faelrin. My only issue with these would be the ribs slightly peaking through the skin. If someone can clarify if this would or would not be present in life that would be great. Other than that these look quite good. Nice job Rebor!

I will be passing on these though due to my downsize in collecting, but can't wait for the reviews, maybe I have to make an exception if these turn out to be extremely beautiful with their colors applied. I am hoping for somewhat of a similar color scheme and application to Saurian's Tyrannosaurus, just my opinion though.

Kapitaenosavrvs

Rain

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: