News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Schleich - New for 2022

Started by Takama, August 03, 2021, 08:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MLMjp

The skin texture looks odd, but the overall proportions, the skull...are pretty good. Heck, it even has the correct number of digits, clawless digits included.

Carnoking

Definitely a weaker ceratopsian from them.

Pachyrhinosaurus

The styracosaurus looks better than the usual offerings from Schleich. I'll be getting one-- it looks to be on par with their Kentrosaurus.

It's hard to tell, but it almost looks like it it was a digital model and the texture wasn't properly adjusted when it was posed, which is disappointing.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

ItsTwentyBelow

Wow that Styracosaurus is not bad at all. It even has the correct number of toe claws! Makes it a bit more accurate than their nice Diabloceratops. My thoughts are that this is even a better model than the Collecta deluxe figure.

This is a complete phase change from their wholly inaccurate previous Styraco sculpts.

Shonisaurus

It is an outstanding improvement that styracosaurus that shows the previous versions of the Schleich brand. Schleich has changed for the better in a brutal way. Does anyone know who the sculptor of the Schleich figures is?

We will also have to wait to see more photos of all the figures and in a detailed way to judge if they have improved as much as I figure, but honestly it is the best year for Schleich of all those in its history. I trusted Schleich and I was not mistaken, he is at the same level of genius as Collecta or Safari to give two examples.

PrimevalRaptor

Oh hey that's pretty good! Colors could be a bit more exciting but at least it's not another drab brown Schleich dinosaur I guess. Quite the improvement over their last two attempts.

Libraraptor

Their latest Ceratopsian is a  decent attempt.

SidB

Quote from: Libraraptor on September 15, 2021, 04:52:03 PM
Their latest Ceratopsian is a  decent attempt.
Yes, it's appropriate to acknowledge when Schleich makes the effort to produce a decent product. It's all too easy to habitually dismiss them because of past sloppiness or creative shortcomings,  though there's been plenty of that. Schleich, when performing up to their potential, has made some fine pieces. Having said that, they do have their own unique style, even on the best figures, or maybe especially on these, and that individuality has to be recognized as a unique and, in its own way praiseworthy distinctive.

terrorchicken

that styraco is very nice, whoever does their ceratopsians should get a  raise, they seem to be the best of Schleich's dinosaur offerings these days. I need bigger pics to judge the rest but they aren't looking too great.

Bokisaurus

Some improvements for sure that's refreshing to see. But for me, only a couple interested me, others easy a yawn 🤣

Thialfi

I still don't understand, when looking at the nothosaurus for example, that no one at Schleich says something like: hmm, those teeth, perhaps we should do something about that? Baffling to me.

SidB

Quote from: Thialfi on September 18, 2021, 01:27:55 PM
I still don't understand, when looking at the nothosaurus for example, that no one at Schleich says something like: hmm, those teeth, perhaps we should do something about that? Baffling to me.
They're remarkable for sure, in a negative sense. It's one thing to blunt teeth and claws for child safety, but Schleich goes to an extreme. I took the trouble to sharpen the teeth on their recent Spinosaurus, because it was otherwise a fine sculpt (Vlad C), but nowI stay away from their carnivores, because of the outlandish dentition primarily (though there usually are other reasons too). Their herbivores often fare better, as this years crop seems to indicate.

indohyus

Majungasaurus looks decent, not sure on the Nothosaurus. Would probably want to get and review the Majungasaurus more.

Thialfi

Quote from: SidB on September 18, 2021, 03:32:49 PM
They're remarkable for sure, in a negative sense. It's one thing to blunt teeth and claws for child safety, but Schleich goes to an extreme. I took the trouble to sharpen the teeth on their recent Spinosaurus, because it was otherwise a fine sculpt (Vlad C), but nowI stay away from their carnivores, because of the outlandish dentition primarily (though there usually are other reasons too). Their herbivores often fare better, as this years crop seems to indicate.
Wholeheartedly agree with everything you said. Maaaybe I will pick up that nothosaurus due to its obscurity as a figure and will try to work those teeth. How did you sharpen them on your spino?

SidB

Quote from: Thialfi on September 22, 2021, 04:41:13 PM
Quote from: SidB on September 18, 2021, 03:32:49 PM
Wholeheartedly agree with everything you said. Maaaybe I will pick up that nothosaurus due to its obscurity as a figure and will try to work those teeth. How did you sharpen them on your spino?
Five ingredients, other than myself: the figure, a fine-toothed, narrow file, some fine sandpaper, an exacto knife and PATIENCE. You'll be pleased with the result.

Thialfi

Quote from: SidBFive ingredients, other than myself: the figure, a fine-toothed, narrow file, some fine sandpaper, an exacto knife and PATIENCE. You'll be pleased with the result.
Sounds good, thank you, I'll definitely give that a shot!

Ravonium

Hoping that the Nothosaurus is decent enough mainly so that I know what to get next time I'm on holiday and in a toy shop; in hand it will probably look like it needs a visit to the dentist though, so my hopes for it aren't particularly high. Everything else in this lineup is a pass for me.

SidB

Quote from: Ravonium on September 25, 2021, 02:53:21 PM
Hoping that the Nothosaurus is decent enough mainly so that I know what to get next time I'm on holiday and in a toy shop; in hand it will probably look like it needs a visit to the dentist though, so my hopes for it aren't particularly high. Everything else in this lineup is a pass for me.
You may have to be the dentist.

Ravonium

Quote from: SidB on September 25, 2021, 05:27:10 PM

Yeah, true. I should probably get it anyway just so that I have an opportunity to practice model customisation skills that go beyond basic repainting.

SidB

Quote from: Ravonium on September 25, 2021, 05:37:18 PM
Quote from: SidB on September 25, 2021, 05:27:10 PM

Yeah, true. I should probably get it anyway just so that I have an opportunity to practice model customisation skills that go beyond basic repainting.
Yes, I did that with their last Spinosaurus - it was fun and the results worthwhile, eliminating an annoying, goofy feature.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: