News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silva’s Cyberzoic Series

Started by suspsy, September 24, 2021, 04:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

Well I found the post regarding the Allosaurus stuff, but it seems Hendrickx deleted his twitter account (if I had to guess probably because of the current toxic, anti science environment running rampant there) so the information there is lost. But not completely. Thankfully someone had saved a screenshot to the Wayback Machine.

Just so in case anything happens to the above link, just so that it isn't completely lost I will have the text copied and quoted in a spoiler, and have re-uploaded the images to my imgur account.

Spoiler
QuoteScaly skin of a juvenile #Allosaurus. This is the only definite skin of an Allosaurus to be described and illustrated (but there will be more, stay tuned!). 📷courtesy of Mark Loewen, with an accurate reconstruction of this iconic #theropod from the one and only @LittleBaardo.

5:14 PM - 13 Feb 2022

QuoteThe specimen (WDC DMQ-A053), which comes from the scapular region of the body, is described in the supplementary information (available in open access here: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/357646801_brv12829-sup-0001-supinfodocx ...) of my recent paper on the theropod integument:

QuoteA 3D model of the counterpart of the #Allosaurus skin can be downloaded for free on @morphomuseum at this link:

https://morphomuseum.com/articles?searchbyeverything=allosaurus

QuoteThis scaly #skin of this juvenile individual of #Allosaurus jimmadseni shows a semi-uniform basement of 1–2 mm diameter pebbly basement scales with a smaller number of slightly larger (up to 3 mm) ovoid basement scales. Photo and drawing courtesy of Mark Loewen.

[close]
Here's Jake's Allosaurus reconstruction from the above link that will be good to compare it to the above BotM one (apparently he started work on it from as far back as 2020 as can be seen in this post, so it seems it isn't directly for the paper as I previously thought. Though it's possible he could have updated it or based it originally on the fossil evidence if he had access to it previously):

Here's the BotM digital sculpts as well for perhaps easier comparison (taken from the OP):
Spoiler
Allosaurus fragilis:

A. jimmadseni:

[close]

Edit: And in case it is helpful, here is the Carnotaurus reconstructions for the 2021 paper that Jake did, as well as the one for Cyerbzoic/BotM:
Spoiler
Added spoilers for all the images so it doesn't make it a chore to scroll past, or too image heavy for folks coming here for quick updates.

Edit 2: My last edit for today I hope lol. I saw in an instragram comment that the Cyberzoic/BotM Allosaurus will be 20 inches long, and will likely not come with standing legs, but a posing rod instead. Honestly I would prefer to have both options. I found out while working on my Yutyrannus review that it would have been helpful to have a posing rod for some poses, but I think long term stability the standing legs are better. I would gladly pay more for both options, though I can't of course speak for everyone.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

David96

Bruh, I'm surprised that no one has added this image yet, considering how beautiful this thingy is:

Quote from: Flaffy on June 23, 2023, 06:47:24 PMAdmittedly it is weird seeing artiodactyl hooves on Andrewsarchus, but based on current knowledge and phylogeny it is the most likely option. Moreover, it's not like this morphology is unique considering the extistence of Paraentelodon and Daeodon.

Yeah I was thinking that Andrewsarchus could have hippo like hooves and a slighly longer tail (more similar to those of modern Carnivorans) like in some other recent reconstructions, in order to kinda differentiate it a bit from Entelodonts which I dearly hope to see in this line aswell. Although, as you said, now it's currently believed that Andrewsarchus was very closely related to Entelodonts so I suppose that representing it as very similar to them is one of the most logical choices.

Quote from: suspsy on June 25, 2023, 04:11:47 PMAdded Andrewsarchus images to the OP. So we've got three "classic" mammals, ones that appeared in every single prehistory book back in the 70s and 80s. Which I totally I get; it's on par with Tyrannosaurus rex, Triceratops, and Stegosaurus. Megatherium is pretty damn likely to be included as well in Cyberzoic. That said, I really hope we get more recent and obscure Cenozoic beasts. You know me, I'm all for an Arctotherium.

Yeah Arctotherium is pretty high on my list aswell, but given it's popularity it should be only a matter of time :)

Quote from: Faelrin on June 23, 2023, 07:30:14 PMI really like the updated interpretation. Glad he's got Max on board for sculpting now too. Was glad to contribute to his Forgotten Bloodlines kickstarter earlier this year. Would love to see the Daeodon from his project get this treatment, but this is the next best thing I guess.

VERY BIG AGREE about that Daeodon design :)

Quote from: Faelrin on June 25, 2023, 05:05:21 PMI wonder how far the line will be taken? At the most simplest, I'm expecting a parallel tribute of the Dino Riders Ice Age figures which had Archaeotherium, Megatherium, Smilodon, Mammuthus primigenius/Woolly mammoth. I'd assume the Andrewsarchus replaces the "Killer Warthog" role of the Archaeotherium, which leaves the Woolly mammoth to get a sculpt (was included in concept art though), and Megatherium (neither concept art, sculpt, or confirmation yet). While there's a plethora he could do, I remain skeptical it will get the same treatment as the dinosaurs have in the past (and future). In any case I do hope there's more then just like these 3 or 4. I'd love some birds and other reptiles too. Terror birds seem like a safe choice considering how requested they were back when the Cenozoic line was announced. There's at least some species large enough that could act as mounts within the Cyberzoic universe, if not given other roles (like the Deinonychus).

At the very least I also hope we can get a figure of Aenocyon dirus aka the dire wolf eventually. Aside from Rebor, no one else has attempted one in recent years and it definitely needs a figure reflecting the current understanding. Never-mind all previous figures were essentially just renamed wolf figures anyways. I would love an articulated one (both 1/12 and 1/18 if it were to get treatment like the Smilodon). Thylacoleo is another that's high on my wants list, for a similar reason. That and the only other figure of it (Southlands Replicas) has been retired for years.

Where have you seen that the "Killer Warthog" was Archeaotherium??? Just curious, I always thought that it was Daeodon/Dynohyus. But anyways yeah, it seems that Andrewsarchus is filling that role now given it's turret like weapon mounted in the armor. To which I hopped that the role would be for Daedon because of all the hellpig identity but so long as Daedon also comes to Cyberzoic (or at least to BotC) I'm happy.

Regarding the rest of the line I'd bet that it would be similar to a single Serie of Dinosaurs with about 20 +/- species divided among small, medium, large and huge ones (maybe also minis or even some regular sized figures being released later on like with the Raptors and Ceartopsians). I think that the most popular ones would be safe (Mammoth, Megistotherium, Arctodus, Daedon, Doedicurus, Kelenken, Megalania, Coelodonta, Paraceratherium, Barinasuchus, Megaloceros, Dodo, Bison Latifrons, etc).

I suppose that the Dire Wolf should also be likely given it's popularity and the fact that small figures would be more viable to make, which could also mean that we could likely get other popular small ones such as Thylacoleo or Argentavis.

Naturally I'd love it if we could get a huge line with plenty obscure species, but an option like what I mentioned above would be satisfying enough for me. Although who knows, given that Cenozoic animals weren't nearly as big as Dinosaurs (hence they would be much cheaper to make) we could more viably see a very large line of them...

Quote from: Flaffy on June 25, 2023, 07:54:15 PMavatar_Faelrin @Faelrin I reckon there's a good chance for hell-pigs being introduced to the line considering all they'd need is a head-swap with the Andrewsarchus body sculpt. Probs only the larger species though unless David is willing to cheat like he did with the 1:12 Smilodon.

Would love to see a Megatherium in the line. Or Eremotherium preferrably to spice things up a bit. The latter holds the title for the largest ground sloth after all, and we have yet to get a figure of the genus iirc.

Yeah, that's the best side of having the Entelodont morphology for Andrewsarchus. Just one head&neck change (and preferably also the back into a smoother one, in order to make it more disntinctive) and boom, we also have an Entelodont. Specially considering that Daeodon, the most popular one, is similarly sized to Andrewsarchus and Paraentelodon, the biggest one, would only require to make the figure a little bit bigger. And it's not at all forced or innacurate since modern science places Andrewsarchus as pretty closely related to Entelodonts.

Now regarding Megatherium I'd bet that it's also almost guaranteed becasue of how popular it is.

David96

Quote from: Faelrin on June 29, 2023, 06:02:46 PMTo quote David, "Allo. Frigg'n. Saurus." Man, what a sculpt.

Edit: I've got to do some digging for it (earlier in this thread I think), but it would be great to see how this compares to Jake's model of Allosaurus jimmadseni, which he did for the 2022 paper from Hendrickx et al.

Bruh, this is an upgrade even for BotM standards. It looks like a multi hundred dollar collector statue, for real.

Quote from: Eatmycar on June 29, 2023, 06:09:17 PMAs much as I wanted Fred Wierum's Isle Allosaurus model, I'm absolutely enamored with this thing. And no hoodie for the head, either!

Don't worry, the model for A. Fragilis is pretty similar to the one in The Isle (which I also adore btw). Save maybe for those weird soft tissue thingies below it's eyes (which I wouldn't mine seeing removed).

Quote from: Faelrin on June 29, 2023, 06:36:07 PME @Eatmycar David also fixed up the Wave 2 tyrannosaurs, and is doing the same for the Wave 3 ones as well (see this post ) to remove a bit of the hoodie on them to have better neck articulation. I imagine he has done the same for the new Cyberzoic theropods as well, based on negative reception to the earlier "hoodie" neck pieces and how they limited articulation for the neck.

He even said in Facebook that he'll keep in mind the possibility of releasing replacement heads for T Rex and Yuty with the new neck designs.  :)) Like in a Transformers DNA Design Kit. So with this, Andrewsarchus, Allo and the PT T Rex mod for PoT it seems that we are in Prime Dino week  :D

Quote from: Faelrin on June 29, 2023, 08:23:03 PMMy last edit for today I hope lol. I saw in an instragram comment that the Cyberzoic/BotM Allosaurus will be 20 inches long, and will likely not come with standing legs, but a posing rod instead. Honestly I would prefer to have both options. I found out while working on my Yutyrannus review that it would have been helpful to have a posing rod for some poses, but I think long term stability the standing legs are better. I would gladly pay more for both options, though I can't of course speak for everyone.

Very glad that it's going to be 20 inches long, that's the optimal size for a 9 meter long Allosaurus at 1/18th scale. But damn, it sucks that it's not planned to have standing legs. I'm gonna go and ask David to please include the standing legs, I'd also gladly pay a few more bucks to have them.

Flaffy

20" what a big boy! I really hope for a 1/30 offering though at some point. As much as I'd like to shell out for another Tarbosaurus sized figure, space is becoming an issue.

Bread

Thank you avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin for all updates and information, much appreas usual!

D @David96 I tried to keep up and share with David's post but I just couldn't keep up in the end :P

Those are beautiful images of the armor + Utahraptor! I do like the added Boba Fett, too. Makes me want to pickup a TVC figure now for scale for these cyberzoics.

DragonRider02

Quote from: Faelrin on June 29, 2023, 08:23:03 PMMy last edit for today I hope lol. I saw in an instragram comment that the Cyberzoic/BotM Allosaurus will be 20 inches long, and will likely not come with standing legs, but a posing rod instead. Honestly I would prefer to have both options. I found out while working on my Yutyrannus review that it would have been helpful to have a posing rod for some poses, but I think long term stability the standing legs are better. I would gladly pay more for both options, though I can't of course speak for everyone.

I found the standing legs on my Yutyrannus to not work very well. The figure just is too heavy for that small metal peg, and the plastic of the foot too soft-the hole just completely warps out of shape, and the weight of the figure makes it lean to the side, even with the other, articulated leg standing flush againts the base. The fact that the standing foot doesn't sit flush against the base but 'hovers' few mm over it also doesn't help. My Yutyrannus started leaning to the side after only a week of me owning it, and after around a month I noticed that the toes of left foot warped (see photo). I had to switch to the right stnding leg, and made sure to correct the figure every time I noticed it started leaning again. This issue is my main complaint with this series.
I feel like those standing legs would need to be made out of something much harder to work as intended. And made sure they sit flush against the base, so the weight is distributed on the entire foot, instead of concetrating on the hole around the peg.

So I am curious to see how potential posing rod could work for future big theropods instead.

Eocarcharia

Quote from: Bread on June 30, 2023, 12:31:55 PMMakes me want to pickup a TVC figure now for scale for these cyberzoics.
Lol that's exactly what I did.

New update today:
Quote from: Creative Beast StudioFor today's Cyberzoic Friday news, we get our first look at the Desert ground troop action figure design! First shown in the Desert Clan concept art, this troop builder will be one of the initial Kickstarter offerings in October, along with the armored Deinonychus. 
Design drawings by Ross Persichetti.

Looks like we'll be getting the Deinonychus right off the bat!

Faelrin

Oh man, my favorite dinosaur. Well, let's hope I have enough to cover the costs of quite a few of these. Hence why my spending must utterly cease until then.

Sim

Yes!  Deinonychus!  It's a great idea to offer it at the start, being small it will be more affordable.  And being so popular it will sell well I imagine.

Eocarcharia

Some art pieces I haven't seen posted here:

Quote from: Creative Beast StudioHow to train your raptor! For today's look into the world of Cyberzoic, we see a training stage for the Tech Clan's advanced Utahraptor units as they must evade remote-controlled military drones through dangerous terrain. This is not only a rigorous test for the dinosaurs, but for the human pilots as well... and they don't always survive. The position of Tech Clan pilot is highly coveted, and usually reserved for genetically designed individuals.
Concept art by Raph Lomotan

Quote from: Creative Beast StudioMore awesome Cyberzoic imagery today featuring the Tech Knight leader, Argenteus and his formidable Allosaurus.
Art by Raph Lomotan

Quote from: Creative Beast StudioFollowing up on last week's Cyberzoic art, Here's Argenteus in action with his Allosaurus, fighting off an Achillobator ambush!
Concept art by Raph Lomotan

Faelrin

QuoteHappy 4th of July everyone! And while I don't have a themed holiday post today, I do have a Tuesday teaser! Here's a WIP look at the color design for the the Cyberzoic Smilodon action figure!
Also, I just want to mention that today is the final day for FREE SHIPPING on in-stock US orders of $100 or more at creative-beast.com. Great time to grab any of the larger items that you've been on thinking about.
Have a fun and safe Fourth!

suspsy

I really want to see some more armoured T. rex artwork. And armoured T. rex in progress for that matter!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Faelrin

So David confirmed in an instagram comment tonight that the coloration for the Smilodon will be a mix of juvenile snow leopard and mountain lion. I think that will be a pretty unique combination of patterns and colors there. Looking forward to seeing the sculpt get painted up in due time.

Eocarcharia

Quote from: Creative Beast StudioI know the biggest draw for the upcoming Cyberzoic line will be the dinosaurs and dragons, which are awesome of course, but my design team and I are also putting a lot of work into developing the story and human characters as well.
So today I thought I'd give a behind-the scenes preview of a some of the character designs currently in development. I've mostly shown Tech Clan characters, but these are for the Fire and Dragon Clans, and each will have their own steed. Expect to learn more about these characters as we continue to develop the prototypes and story!

Spoiler

[close]

Bonus tidbit from the comments:
Quote from: Creative Beast StudioThe initial offering will be primarily Tech and Fire Clans, with Dragon and Desert Clans being included to a lesser extent. Water Clan won't show up until later though.

Faelrin

Honestly I'm eagerly anticipating these as much as the creatures.

Eatmycar

Likewise! There are no strong offerings for sci-fi humans going to market at the 3/75 scale. Yeah, Marauder Gun Runners allows you to build humans that are (very grounded in our modern world) sci-fi, and Boss Fight Studio has some things in the pipeline, but Cyberzoic has a big market to tap into here - especially since it seems some of the dinosaur armor can transform into vehicles and drones. Never mind how slow Boss Fight can be to get things done.

And it's not like he has any clear competition. Mattel most likely can't do Dino Riders at this while they hold the Jurassic license as it would directly compete with Jurassic on the market.

Eocarcharia

I agree, I'm really taken with the world-building going on here. I just don't know if I'll be able to afford getting the dinosaurs and the characters and armor. Time will tell I suppose.

Bread

David just posted the painted up Dilophosaurus:

Absolutely a stunner!

Faelrin

Must have for me for sure. Love that blue on the crests and mouth.

Pliosaurking

Very nice looking figure!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: