News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Jurassic World (Various): New for 2022

Started by GojiraGuy1954, November 13, 2021, 10:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pachyrhinosaurus

The Hammond collection sounds promising, but I'm not sure about the execution. I'm most interested in the parasaurolophus, and while much better than Mattel's previous attempt, it isn't as film-accurate as the original Kenner parasaur from 1997. I think the width of the head has to do with the articulation, but I don't know if the joint could have been put in a better place, closer to where it should be. Personally, I don't think the articulated jaw is worth the added width, but that's just my opinion as a collector. The short tail and thin joints on the legs also look a little weird. I'll still probably end up getting this one, though. The others look okay, but I liked the simplicity of the main Legacy Collection, which was mentioned in the video, so hopefully I'll be happier with those toys.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Blade-of-the-Moon

If Neca can do ball joints on figures and make them look seamless and not destroy the aesthetic of a character I'm sure Mattel could do it.  I know toy companies are in desperate straits but ending one line that probably took more effort to replace it with a product slightly better than the main line feels like desperation?  As i recall we were supposed to get more Amber Collection figures, Pyroraptor, more humans, ect.. so this would be a quick change too?

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 19, 2022, 10:29:17 PM
If Neca can do ball joints on figures and make them look seamless and not destroy the aesthetic of a character I'm sure Mattel could do it.  I know toy companies are in desperate straits but ending one line that probably took more effort to replace it with a product slightly better than the main line feels like desperation?  As i recall we were supposed to get more Amber Collection figures, Pyroraptor, more humans, ect.. so this would be a quick change too?
Necas are also trash tier products that can break in the box
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

ItsTwentyBelow

Dang, that shot of the fat head sculpt for the Para really does look bad.

Still probably will get it. Looking forward to the articulation. Also wonder how the new Malcolm figure shown in those pics will be sold?

Ikessauro

Their sculpt flaws aside, the new Hammond collection figures are quite nice, but the fact they are exclusives bothers me a lot.
This quality should be the standard for all the JW dinos from Mattel, except the "basic" line. No figure in the main line should have unpainted claws, beaks and horns. I understand the pandemic affected all toy companies, but if they can't afford to released a lot of nice models, then quit repainting the old ones endlessly, focus only on new species/sculpts and give us fewer, but nicer figures.

But no, they dropped the main line dinos quality by a lot, to save on costs, now they seem to be cutting down on packages too and the only nicely painted models are in these exclusive hard to get figures. For us outside the US, Target exclusives mean 3+ times the original cost of the figure. If the model in the US costs 20, but it is a Target exclusive, it means it will have to be bought through secondary market, often from scalpers, since there are no other options and in the end the cost sky rockets to 60+ dollars (that is basically 1/4 of a minimum wage in Brazil where I live). 

If Target at least gave us the option to sign up for an account in their website and ordering from overseas, we could have a more fair price. But since it blocks any overseas users from doing that, I literally depend on US residents to help me get the figures, either as a favor or in exchange of a fee. This unfortunately makes collecting here prohibitive for most people. And all this "store exclusives" help to feed that problem.

So, all in all, Mattel did a great job with the JW line in the start of their lines, but is dropping the ball hard with every new model announced. They look cheaper each time, except for a few models.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on January 20, 2022, 12:06:31 AM
Necas are also trash tier products that can break in the box

Certainly your entitled to your own opinion. I own a lot of Neca products I've collected over the years, only had trouble out of one, their Aliens line where the joints are too small, the parts too thin to move at all.  Everything else has been great.    There is fine line where you trade aesthetic for function and vice versa. David and his Beasts of the Mesozoic line did it well.  So I'll say, if he can do it they can do it.

Quote from: Ikessauro on January 20, 2022, 02:25:41 AM
Their sculpt flaws aside, the new Hammond collection figures are quite nice, but the fact they are exclusives bothers me a lot.
This quality should be the standard for all the JW dinos from Mattel, except the "basic" line. No figure in the main line should have unpainted claws, beaks and horns. I understand the pandemic affected all toy companies, but if they can't afford to released a lot of nice models, then quit repainting the old ones endlessly, focus only on new species/sculpts and give us fewer, but nicer figures.

But no, they dropped the main line dinos quality by a lot, to save on costs, now they seem to be cutting down on packages too and the only nicely painted models are in these exclusive hard to get figures. For us outside the US, Target exclusives mean 3+ times the original cost of the figure. If the model in the US costs 20, but it is a Target exclusive, it means it will have to be bought through secondary market, often from scalpers, since there are no other options and in the end the cost sky rockets to 60+ dollars (that is basically 1/4 of a minimum wage in Brazil where I live). 

If Target at least gave us the option to sign up for an account in their website and ordering from overseas, we could have a more fair price. But since it blocks any overseas users from doing that, I literally depend on US residents to help me get the figures, either as a favor or in exchange of a fee. This unfortunately makes collecting here prohibitive for most people. And all this "store exclusives" help to feed that problem.

So, all in all, Mattel did a great job with the JW line in the start of their lines, but is dropping the ball hard with every new model announced. They look cheaper each time, except for a few models.

As I understand it , Mattel isn't thrilled about the exclusive rights Target demands either.   They sell less product and at cheaper prices to a single retailer.    Scalpers are getting worse that's true.  Target carried a Ghostbusters set I've been trying to locate, but not one of my three stores in the area are carrying it and it's not possible to buy it online. So your left with just ebay and paying scalpers if you want it.  So it's rough on us even here with exclusives.

stargatedalek

I'm very disappointed to see the Amber line go. The dinosaurs from it were the main thing I was buying from Mattel, very little interest in most things from the main line or this new "main line but with better paint" line.

Shadowknight1

Who can say.  They may just keep them as intended, but slap the new name on them.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Bread

I've never been a fan of the Mattel line nor hasbro/kenner. Maybe a few nostalgic pieces like the 2009 hasbro bull rex probably my favorite ever, but again very few I could name. HOWEVER, this new Hammond line interest me. That Parasaurolophus interest me quite a bit, and hopefully Mattel are smart and go for the original JP style to the Tyrannosaurus and not JW.

My only issue, as pointed out by others, is the exclusiveness. My local target is generous when it comes to stocking the standard Mattel line, sometimes a few pieces just disappear to never be seen on shelves or pegs again, but overall its solid stock. Hopefully it does not downfall somewhat like the stocking of Hasbro star wars black series figures. Gosh I could go on a full rant about that....

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on January 20, 2022, 04:53:01 AM
Who can say.  They may just keep them as intended, but slap the new name on them.

The only thing against that is the scale would be way off. If Target has said " no more AC" then that might just be it? We don't know for sure at this point, but I hope we get them.  I really need a Claire figure to pair with Indominus to create that poster scene..for whatever reason they keep skipping her.. not even Iron Studios bothered as of yet.

ItsTwentyBelow

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 20, 2022, 03:26:15 AM
very little interest in most things from the main line or this new "main line but with better paint" line.

Come on, let's not be too disingenuous here. These don't just have better paint apps, they are completely new highly articulated sculpts!

These are basically a fusion of Jurassic World and Beasts of the Mesozoic, and I'm excited for what is to come. The only Parasaur that is comparable to the proportions of this new one is the old Kenner, which I own, and while it's beautiful, it's marginally more poseable than a block of wood and is NOT worth tracking down over this Hammond version.

I am glad the Amber Collection is over. They wanted to shoe-horn Jurassic World toys into a too-large scale and I could never figure out who in the consumer base was asking for that with this franchise. It always felt like the wrong way to go, and those always shelf-and-peg-warmed. I feel like they'd even been trying to kill the Amber stuff with such half-baked sets as the macho baby rex and compies.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: ItsTwentyBelow on January 20, 2022, 04:15:03 PM
very little interest in most things from the main line or this new "main line but with better paint" line.

Come on, let's not be too disingenuous here. These don't just have better paint apps, they are completely new highly articulated sculpts!

These are basically a fusion of Jurassic World and Beasts of the Mesozoic, and I'm excited for what is to come. The only Parasaur that is comparable to the proportions of this new one is the old Kenner, which I own, and while it's beautiful, it's marginally more poseable than a block of wood and is NOT worth tracking down over this Hammond version.

I am glad the Amber Collection is over. They wanted to shoe-horn Jurassic World toys into a too-large scale and I could never figure out who in the consumer base was asking for that with this franchise. It always felt like the wrong way to go, and those always shelf-and-peg-warmed. I feel like they'd even been trying to kill the Amber stuff with such half-baked sets as the macho baby rex and compies.

Not to beat a dead horse but these are kind of like larger Tomy/Takara pieces the paint is about right for them or the old Kaiyodo mini line. It's a few more steps to be sure hence the 5.00 price hike but ball joints aren't all that pricey to add instead of buttons that control movement or electronics.   They are not nearly as articulated as David's line and they sacrificed some aesthetic vs functionality.  They did that before, look at the ouranosaurus' button placement. Now they've made the head on this parasaurolophus too wide and the tail too short and the body looks a bit too small but thats a minor complaint.   I'm not downing Mattel I've been one of their biggest supporters but you have to take the good with bad and they have had some issues recently ( not all their fault of course ) in sculpt and paint.

The Kenner version doesn't have a lot of playability but it's as close as you can get to a maquette of the creature used in the film, I've had mine since I was a kid it received a lot of play from me. I think it's one of those totally worth it pieces if you can get it.

You are entitled to feel that way, personally I needed more of the human figures for set building. If you didn't like them it was easy to just not buy them.  The line had issues like all products will. They probably overproduced them, kids weren't the target audience and they were sold as toys even Target thought so.  They could have produced them closer to how Neca does and increased the quality and the collectability. Those was no reason for them to kill it as as of just a few months ago we had a full AC line planned for this year.  New human characters, Pyroraptor and Atrociraptor was among some of the first ones.

stargatedalek

Quote from: ItsTwentyBelow on January 20, 2022, 04:15:03 PM

1:12 six inch scale is an extremely common scale for action figure collecting.

I have never had any interest in the humans that came with Jurassic Park toys, they've never been great quality and frankly I don't care much about recreating scenes from the movies. I've never watched these movies for the human characters. The Amber collection was ideal for me because the dinosaurs scaled with Figma and GI Joe Classified figures.

Frankly they squandered the lines potential by doing too many humans. There were so many other smaller dinosaurs they could have done.

ItsTwentyBelow

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 20, 2022, 06:02:58 PM

I've never watched these movies for the human characters. The Amber collection was ideal for me because the dinosaurs scaled with Figma and GI Joe Classified figures.

Yes I know, I like to collect the Star Wars Black Series figures here and there. But as I've pointed out before, that scale works very well for Star Wars and those figures are pretty popular, but not when it comes to a franchise like Jurassic Park, as you say here. The best reason to do a 6" Jurassic line was to make it more human character-focused, but like you said, that's not why most of us are into the Jurassic franchise.  Would anyone have ever been clamoring to buy a 1/12 Dr. Wu action figure, or even the main antagonist of Jurassic World, Hoskins? Eddie Carr? Nothing against those characters but they were never marketable in a larger action figure scale.

With Star Wars, the humanoid characters are what carry the franchise and the creatures play a supporting role. As such, the Star Wars 6" figures are commonly pretty hard to track down because they sell fast.

stargatedalek

Quote from: ItsTwentyBelow on January 20, 2022, 06:25:59 PM

I've never watched these movies for the human characters. The Amber collection was ideal for me because the dinosaurs scaled with Figma and GI Joe Classified figures.

Yes I know, I like to collect the Star Wars Black Series figures here and there. But as I've pointed out before, that scale works very well for Star Wars and those figures are pretty popular, but not when it comes to a franchise like Jurassic Park, as you say here. The best reason to do a 6" Jurassic line was to make it more human character-focused, but like you said, that's not why most of us are into the Jurassic franchise.  Would anyone have ever been clamoring to buy a 1/12 Dr. Wu action figure, or even the main antagonist of Jurassic World, Hoskins? Eddie Carr? Nothing against those characters but they were never marketable in a larger action figure scale.

With Star Wars, the humanoid characters are what carry the franchise and the creatures play a supporting role. As such, the Star Wars 6" figures are commonly pretty hard to track down because they sell fast.
They could have done Gallimimus, Troodon, Pyroraptor, Atrociraptor, the baby Stego, Lystrosaurus, Dimetrodon, Stygimoloch, baby raptors, baby Pteranodon, JP3 female raptor, JW Pteranodon... and those just canon species from within the existing size range. They could have gone slightly larger or done some other weirder species choices, maybe JWE styled Deinonychus.

I don't get this idea that dinosaurs have to be in 1:20 or larger. I'd rather have them in the scale that I have everything else in. Modern animals, with the exception of whales and pachyderms, the latter of which I have essentially no interest in, most of them get made in 1:12 scale or more often even larger. I like having the option to get dinosaurs in that scale. We should be encouraging companies to make figures in varieties of scales, not demanding everything be in the same singular scale that "most dinosaur people" want.

And I know of a number of non-dinosaur collectors who buy the Amber series raptors to use with humans from other lines.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 20, 2022, 07:06:34 PM
Quote from: ItsTwentyBelow on January 20, 2022, 06:25:59 PM

They could have done Gallimimus, Troodon, Pyroraptor, Atrociraptor, the baby Stego, Lystrosaurus, Dimetrodon, Stygimoloch, baby raptors, baby Pteranodon, JP3 female raptor, JW Pteranodon... and those just canon species from within the existing size range. They could have gone slightly larger or done some other weirder species choices, maybe JWE styled Deinonychus.

I don't get this idea that dinosaurs have to be in 1:20 or larger. I'd rather have them in the scale that I have everything else in. Modern animals, with the exception of whales and pachyderms, the latter of which I have essentially no interest in, most of them get made in 1:12 scale or more often even larger. I like having the option to get dinosaurs in that scale. We should be encouraging companies to make figures in varieties of scales, not demanding everything be in the same singular scale that "most dinosaur people" want.

And I know of a number of non-dinosaur collectors who buy the Amber series raptors to use with humans from other lines.
Troodon is noncanon, Pyro, Atroci, Lystro, and Dimetro are from JWD
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Strepsodus

At the very least the Moros looks a bit more like the real thing

The paint is still weird, maybe they'll re-release it like Monolophosaurus

Primeval12

Lynx

What was so bad about the AC line?
I thought it was pretty cool, and the raptor repaints was just so everyone had a option for what they wanted.
An oversized house cat.

ItsTwentyBelow

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 20, 2022, 07:06:34 PM

I don't get this idea that dinosaurs have to be in 1:20 or larger.

1.) This is all moot. Given their marketing and what was released, Mattel was primarily intending to market the human characters in a larger scale with the Amber stuff, with dinosaurs playing more a supporting role. We were never going to see those species released as Amber figures.

2.) In this line's case, a combo of marketing and the market response decided against the 1/12 scale.

3.) Other collectors buying the Amber humans for use in other toy lines likely isn't what Mattel had hoped for, and is surely no reason for them to keep the line going.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: