News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

fabricious' shapeways models

Started by fabricious, June 08, 2014, 05:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

I don't want to get into a discussion but I just felt it might be helpful in preventing said discussions from snowballing in the future to point out, feathers do function differently than fur and hair. Even on a small animal fur and hair does not cool, feathers do because they are very different structurally and in how they attach. Elephants lost their hair when they became aquatic and not every species grew it back (on mass). Again sorry for continuing, and personally I don't think tyrannosaurus had a thick coating of feathers either.

Looking very nice so far, keep it up ;)

fabricious

Thanks, but I think studying biology (partially zoology and now paleontology as well) kind of helps in my understanding of how different types of integumental structures work. ;)

fabricious

I hope no one gets offended by this, it just happened while describing a feature of the program to my boyfriend, haha. :D Most accurate depiction of feathering in large theropods, I'm sure.

On the more serious side: I am working on a color scheme for the animal and so far I really like where this is going.

Blade-of-the-Moon

DinoLord

I've always been a fan of eye bands on tyrannosaurs.  ;)

Manatee

I'm a fan of eyebands in general. The coloration looks very nice; I do think the head could be a little bit more fleshed out, but overall the T. rex looks very good.
Also, what happened to this one?

fabricious

Eyebands are an interesting feature, I agree. So far I've only given it a generalized reptile-color-base, I will be including patterns of monitor lizards (perenties) as well as black and white tegus, but more washed out.

@Manatee: What exactly do you mean with the head needing more fleshing out? Here is a better close up of the detail, if that's what you meant. ;)

The detail looks a bit blurred in this stage of coloring, I'll have to accentuate it during the process.

Oh, and the Albertosaurus is still at the stage you just posted, I haven't opened it this year, so far. :)

@Chris: Haha, I was actually looking at the ecosystems this genus most likely lived in and figured, that for a locality in subtropical forests, a spottet and striped pattern would fit an ambush predator perfectly. Let's see how it turns out. ;)

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: fabricious on January 05, 2015, 10:31:01 AM
Eyebands are an interesting feature, I agree. So far I've only given it a generalized reptile-color-base, I will be including patterns of monitor lizards (perenties) as well as black and white tegus, but more washed out.

@Manatee: What exactly do you mean with the head needing more fleshing out? Here is a better close up of the detail, if that's what you meant. ;)

@Chris: Haha, I was actually looking at the ecosystems this genus most likely lived in and figured, that for a locality in subtropical forests, a spottet and striped pattern would fit an ambush predator perfectly. Let's see how it turns out. ;)
Think what he meant was the skull needs more muscle and body. It is shrink wrapped and lets the bones al show through .
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

fabricious

Oh, well I'd say that is about right, from my point of view, seeing as neither birds nor reptiles do show a lot of face musculature. I simply accentuated bony ridges where they would show up through scutes or keratinous elements.

amargasaurus cazaui

It is mostly a matter of opinion really, but in my own , and again as an opinion, it is heavily shrink wrapped and looks odd. while many animals do not display alot of facial musculature, they also do not look like skeletons. Some do like this look, but it was more in style a few years back and has since become far less popular.,
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

fabricious

I agree that it is a point of opinion, but I really do disagree that it looks like a skeleton. There is a lot of 'flesh' around the bones, I took a lot of time underlying it with a skeletal reconstruction in order to push it away from the bones beneath. What appears to be bone here is mainly ridges of scutes, which accentuate the boney ridges in large extant reptiles as well (I took my inspiration from iguanas and several monitor lizards, as well as vultures).

I just created the first pose of the model and will be uploading a screenshot shortly!

amargasaurus cazaui

In the area around the eyes and nasal the bones underlying the flesh are highly and quite visible with little scuting present. This trait is also present in many of Collecta's recent theropod issues and is quite noticeable. In previous years it was actually considered a neat trait but has fallen out of favor as people realize that it just does not seem a likely reconstruction.....pssoible yes, likely no. For what I am seeing the problem is not raised scutes, but visible underlying bone where none should appear due to jaw and eye musculature and so forth

fabricious

I put some more work into the Giraffatitan model. If anyone has suggestions for poses for the Tyrannosaurus, I'm all ears! I could use a bit of inspiration as to what kind of poses you guys would like to see on shapeways.

Tallin

Whoa, I feel like that giraffatitan is going to be quite the sight to behold!

We've seen countless aggressive T-rexes, how about a defensive one? Maybe its territory's been intruded upon by a bigger T-rex and its protecting its kill or nest?

Manatee

How about a sleeping/resting pose? After all, that's how predators spend most of their time.

fabricious

Quote from: Tallin on January 07, 2015, 08:33:26 PM
We've seen countless aggressive T-rexes, how about a defensive one? Maybe its territory's been intruded upon by a bigger T-rex and its protecting its kill or nest?

I was actually playing with the thought of making a second model from this one (since this one is supposed to roughly resemble 'Sue', I was thinking of making a smaller 'Stan'). They might make for a neat diorama!

Quote from: Manatee on January 07, 2015, 08:47:13 PM
How about a sleeping/resting pose? After all, that's how predators spend most of their time.

I might consider that, I like the idea of resting theropods! Hopefully the forms hold up, haha. :)

spinosaurus1

there are so many models of tyrannosaurus being depicted in ferocious poses that show alot of aggression. perhaps it would be nice to see a tyrannosaurus just in a walking pose with it's jaws closed. even maybe have the neck turned to the side as if spotting something. if your making another tyrannosaurus, it could be a depiction of possible courting behavior, showing how submissive tyrannosaurs can be when it's that time of the season.

fabricious

Quote from: spinosaurus1 on January 07, 2015, 09:48:44 PM
there are so many models depicting tyrannosaurus being depicted in ferocious poses that show alot of aggression. perhaps it would be nice to see a tyrannosaurus just in a walking pose with it's jaws closed. even maybe have the neck turned to the side as if spotting something. if your making another tyrannosaurus, it could be a depiction of possible courting behavior, showing how submissive tyrannosaurs can be when it's that time of the season.

Good one as well! I already tried my hands at neutral poses with the Albertosaurus, but it definitely would be a stronger message with the T. rex! If I am going to make a male for her, I will also be making a different paintjob with colorful display patterns (on which I haven't decided yet).

fabricious

You ask, I deliver! ;)

Still working on the pose (thus the low resolution).

fabricious

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: