News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - new for 2015

Started by Ikessauro, September 18, 2014, 05:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: triceratops83 on December 24, 2014, 12:02:00 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 24, 2014, 04:47:35 AM
I really hope 2016 is better, now that we have these two "anniversary" pieces out of the way.  I wonder what made them split it up anyway? Wishful thinking, but perhaps Forest needed the time to make something big. A new Apatosaurus and juvenile would fit that and get us back to two figures a year.  I can keep my claws crossed at least.
It would probably bug everyone else, but since there's now three Tyrannosaurus, I'd go for a new Triceratops... But you're right, a replacement Apatosaurus and Jr would be very nice.
There have been more triceratops from carnegie than perhaps any other dinosaur if you count all the repaints as well.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

triceratops83

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on December 24, 2014, 01:45:54 PM
There have been more triceratops from carnegie than perhaps any other dinosaur if you count all the repaints as well.
Heh, heh. All right then, how about a Nedoceratops? Ojoceratops? Eotriceratops? Tatankaceratops? >:D
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Manatee

Quote from: triceratops83 on December 24, 2014, 02:08:00 PM
Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on December 24, 2014, 01:45:54 PM
Heh, heh. All right then, how about a Nedoceratops? Ojoceratops? Eotriceratops? Tatankaceratops? >:D
>:D indeed. Why not make an entire set entitled Possible Ontogenic Stages of Triceratops?

triceratops83

Quote from: Manatee on December 24, 2014, 02:22:14 PM
>:D indeed. Why not make an entire set entitled Possible Ontogenic Stages of Triceratops?
Ha! :))
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

John

Quote from: triceratops83 on December 24, 2014, 12:02:00 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 24, 2014, 04:47:35 AM
I really hope 2016 is better, now that we have these two "anniversary" pieces out of the way.  I wonder what made them split it up anyway? Wishful thinking, but perhaps Forest needed the time to make something big. A new Apatosaurus and juvenile would fit that and get us back to two figures a year.  I can keep my claws crossed at least.
It would probably bug everyone else, but since there's now three Tyrannosaurus, I'd go for a new Triceratops... But you're right, a replacement Apatosaurus and Jr would be very nice.
It wouldn't hurt my feelings to see another Triceratops turn up in the Carnegie line.In fact it would hardly be much of a surprise to me to see either it or Apatosaurus end up being the 2016 Carnegie release. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Blade-of-the-Moon

A new Triceratops would be a good choice as well given it's hugely popular, a Torosaurus would be just as welcome to me though. I've always wanted the SUE pieces scaled up to 1:40.

I can only recall three Triceratops from Carnegie/Safari. The first issue, it's re-paint/re-worked sculpt, and the Anniversary Trike.

Gwangi

Personally I don't really like any of the Carnegie Triceratops so I would certainly welcome a new one. I realize Safari just did one too but a new one from Doug would also be welcomed.

Daspletodave

I think one of the problems with Carnegie (and it's not really a problem) is that they wowed us with excellent figures like the Spinosaurus and Carnotaurus. Now, we've gotten spoiled and expect a "home run" every time. So we're disappointed with a merely "good" figure. This year's Velociraptor is a pretty darned good figure, yet it's getting a lot of flak. Undeservedly so.
Forrest Rogers is a very talented sculptor and the Carnegie line is still head and shoulders above also-ran Collecta.

tanystropheus

The vast majority of Carnegie models (exceptions: Brachiosaurus, Oviraptor, Crylo) are situated in a neutral stance and future models are becoming even more conservative (e.g. similar to Favorite). I'm not sure why we are expecting Carnegie to do something radical/outside its comfort zone...

Pachyrhinosaurus

I would second a triceratops from Carnegie, or at this point, any quadruped, but triceratops has always been one of my favorites. IMO the models are nice, its just the repetition of their newer models, but that has already been said countless times. Velociraptor, though (or anything with wing feathers and long arms) would have been a good candidate for using a forelimb for balance instead of the tail.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Meso-Cenozoic

If you're talking a new ceratopsian from Carnegie, then I've always wanted a Chasmosaurus from them. That guy has been around for a long time and is fairly popular. I wonder why they never made one. 1/40 scale Chasmo please. :D

Takama

Carnegie was the first major dinosaur line i started collecting too (in fact, if it weren't for my need to hunt down the very first models, i would not of discovered this Forum)I stopped Collecting the line, because i found many different cool species from other brands such as CollectA. Plus i wish they would retire there oldest models when a replacement has been made. Battat IMO beats Carnegie out of the water, and they have a similar sculpting style(Wrinkles instead of scales)

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 24, 2014, 05:43:22 PM
A new Triceratops would be a good choice as well given it's hugely popular, a Torosaurus would be just as welcome to me though. I've always wanted the SUE pieces scaled up to 1:40.

I can only recall three Triceratops from Carnegie/Safari. The first issue, it's re-paint/re-worked sculpt, and the Anniversary Trike.
might visit Dejankins and pull up the list of Carnegie triceratops there have been for paint apps alone....if I remember right three at least with the new sculpt alone?

A point most seem to miss about Carnegie might be perspective based....start with the original pieces on a shelf...and just look at those. The way they are sculpted, the detail, almost looks.....primitive. Then watch as the style progresses and improves for a long time right up to and through the Carno , Spino and Diplo, which would have to be centerpieces of the set. You have a line that has vastly improved, not declined, from that perspective. Having said that, I myself am not big on theropods, and the one theropod release per year thing is kind of boring for me as well.......would love to see a little more variation of types of dinosaurs, and perhaps as I keep telling the sculpters and toy makers over and over, for the heck of it, why not use some of the more basal dinosaurs?
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on December 25, 2014, 12:10:29 AM

might visit Dejankins and pull up the list of Carnegie triceratops there have been for paint apps alone....if I remember right three at least with the new sculpt alone?

A point most seem to miss about Carnegie might be perspective based....start with the original pieces on a shelf...and just look at those. The way they are sculpted, the detail, almost looks.....primitive. Then watch as the style progresses and improves for a long time right up to and through the Carno , Spino and Diplo, which would have to be centerpieces of the set. You have a line that has vastly improved, not declined, from that perspective. Having said that, I myself am not big on theropods, and the one theropod release per year thing is kind of boring for me as well.......would love to see a little more variation of types of dinosaurs, and perhaps as I keep telling the sculptors and toy makers over and over, for the heck of it, why not use some of the more basal dinosaurs?

I looked through his page and counted three, one other with a slightly different paint app, some more blue on it's face I think. He has multiples of others listed in varying conditions, with tag/without tag..looks like there are a lot at first glance.

I'm not complaining about the quality exactly..just the "wow" factor isn't there as much as it seemed to be previously.  I'd love to have an updated Megalosaurus..hard to get much more original than that unless you go with Iguanodon. Which wouldn't be bad either.

triceratops83

My god, I was just looking through Forest Rogers' galleries, and her fantasy figures capture the human form in ways so beautiful it almost brings at tear to my eye. Please no one tell me if these are available to buy or I might develop a new addiction. As for dinosaurs I'd love to see her sculpt for a series of statues similar to Sideshow - as lovely as Forest's work is in toy form it would be breathtaking as larger scale maquettes.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: triceratops83 on December 25, 2014, 10:29:07 AM
My god, I was just looking through Forest Rogers' galleries, and her fantasy figures capture the human form in ways so beautiful it almost brings at tear to my eye. Please no one tell me if these are available to buy or I might develop a new addiction. As for dinosaurs I'd love to see her sculpt for a series of statues similar to Sideshow - as lovely as Forest's work is in toy form it would be breathtaking as larger scale maquettes.
I think she has sold a couple of her dolls on eBay from time to time, but in general most of her stuff is ooak.

triceratops83

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 25, 2014, 10:31:29 AM
I think she has sold a couple of her dolls on eBay from time to time, but in general most of her stuff is ooak.

Phew, I guess. But it's kind of a shame to think that this stuff is not commercially available. I can see a line of super collectable dolls and figurines that would have a really appreciative audience. The otherworldy Algernon Blackwood/Arthur Machen aspect of her fairies/nymphs appeals to me.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 25, 2014, 01:26:29 AM
Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on December 25, 2014, 12:10:29 AM

A point most seem to miss about Carnegie might be perspective based....start with the original pieces on a shelf...and just look at those. The way they are sculpted, the detail, almost looks.....primitive. Then watch as the style progresses and improves for a long time right up to and through the Carno , Spino and Diplo, which would have to be centerpieces of the set. You have a line that has vastly improved, not declined, from that perspective. Having said that, I myself am not big on theropods, and the one theropod release per year thing is kind of boring for me as well.......would love to see a little more variation of types of dinosaurs, and perhaps as I keep telling the sculptors and toy makers over and over, for the heck of it, why not use some of the more basal dinosaurs?

I looked through his page and counted three, one other with a slightly different paint app, some more blue on it's face I think. He has multiples of others listed in varying conditions, with tag/without tag..looks like there are a lot at first glance.

I'm not complaining about the quality exactly..just the "wow" factor isn't there as much as it seemed to be previously.  I'd love to have an updated Megalosaurus..hard to get much more original than that unless you go with Iguanodon. Which wouldn't be bad either.
In my Carnegie set, there is the original sculpt, its repaint, the resculpted trike, with at least two paint apps, and at least three more that are minor tweaks in sculpt or paint.....so even without the minor alterations, i see at least four different trike versions.
  As for basal dinosaurs, both species you called for are already highly specialized dinosaurs, far beyond basal. Megalosaurus hails from the late mid Jurassic and Iguanodon from late Jurassic through Cretaceous times as well. I am hoping for Triassic to early Jurassic dinosaurs along the lines of Herrerasaurus, Eoraptor, Staurikosaurus,Pisanosaurus, etc. Basal means less derived, and would be far earlier than most common dinosaurs generally offered.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I was thinking early in terms of discovery, and yet we still don't have a good Megalosaurus, the best being Invicta. 

Gwangi

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 25, 2014, 04:04:27 PM
I was thinking early in terms of discovery, and yet we still don't have a good Megalosaurus, the best being Invicta.

Yeah, we desperately need a new Megalosaurus from someone...just not Carnegie please! Seems like a possible choice for Battat or Safari? Also, we need another Baryonyx. I think it is safe to say that Invicta still holds claim on the best Baryonyx.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: