News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - new for 2015

Started by Ikessauro, September 18, 2014, 05:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sauroid

would love to see a new Protoceratops too. this is one of my childhood fave dinos.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Takama

I too am all for Carnegie Redoing most of there models for the comeing years. They need a Better Stegosaurus, and Parasaurolophus, as well as Iguanadon and to remake some of there oldest models, like the Euoplocephalus, and Yes the Protoceratops

Pachyrhinosaurus

Protoceratops would have made a perfect Campanian  ::) piece for this year's velociraptor. I think the next releases should be more true to their mounts in the Carnegie museum itself, like the apatosaurus, and all the other ones which should be updated.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

triceratops83

Have Carnegie done all the dinosaurs from the Carnegie Museum? 'Cause a quick google image search shows quite a few interesting animals that don't have figures, and correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't that the point of the toy line in the first place? I see a Caenegnathus, Ceratosaurus, Dryosaurus, Camptosaurus, Herrerasaurus, ?Rutiodon, all of which would make great figures from this line, and haven't been done. If someone can supply a list of genera featured in the museum, we should do a poll.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

DinoLord

Quote from: triceratops83 on December 27, 2014, 05:02:59 AM
Have Carnegie done all the dinosaurs from the Carnegie Museum? 'Cause a quick google image search shows quite a few interesting animals that don't have figures, and correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't that the point of the toy line in the first place? I see a Caenegnathus, Ceratosaurus, Dryosaurus, Camptosaurus, Herrerasaurus, ?Rutiodon, all of which would make great figures from this line, and haven't been done. If someone can supply a list of genera featured in the museum, we should do a poll.

There are still quite a few genera on exhibit that have yet to show up in the line. From memory, there's Anzu and Diabloceratops that they haven't done (though the latter is only on exhibit in skull form).

John

There's no poll needed (for me at least),because I would love to see all five of the genera you listed turn up in the Carnegie Collection.Imagine a Ceratosaurus model posed mouth closed with one foot atop a fallen Dryosaurus as a base. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

DinoLord

Quote from: John on December 27, 2014, 05:41:37 AMImagine a Ceratosaurus model posed mouth closed with one foot atop a fallen Dryosaurus as a base. :)

Though that is an awesome idea, I fear that it would somehow end up in a tripod pose with an open roar towards the left...  :P

triceratops83

Quote from: John on December 27, 2014, 05:41:37 AM
There's no poll needed (for me at least),because I would love to see all five of the genera you listed turn up in the Carnegie Collection.Imagine a Ceratosaurus model posed mouth closed with one foot atop a fallen Dryosaurus as a base. :)

Well, it's chasing the dryosaurus in the display, maybe they can go back to doing 2-packs like the Dilophosaurs. Another idea is a decent set of skeletons based on their displays, nicely done snap together kits. Better than the Geoworld and Dino Horizons kits and more in line with those My Perfect Little Dinosaur sets.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

John

Well, it's chasing the dryosaurus in the display, maybe they can go back to doing 2-packs like the Dilophosaurs. Another idea is a decent set of skeletons based on their displays, nicely done snap together kits. Better than the Geoworld and Dino Horizons kits and more in line with those My Perfect Little Dinosaur sets.
[/quote]
Quote from: DinoLord on December 27, 2014, 05:45:03 AM
Quote from: John on December 27, 2014, 05:41:37 AMImagine a Ceratosaurus model posed mouth closed with one foot atop a fallen Dryosaurus as a base. :)

Though that is an awesome idea, I fear that it would somehow end up in a tripod pose with an open roar towards the left...  :P
Nope,it would be in a tripod pose with an open roar towards the right >:D
But serously,one being in that pose wouldn't bother me in the slightest.I could take it posed either way,so long as it's proportioned properly. ;D

Quote from: triceratops83 on December 27, 2014, 05:50:15 AM

I wouldn't mind the two-pack dinosaur set idea either. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Manatee

That would be a dream come true model, but I think Rebor or Papo would likely carry it out better. If Carnegie made one, it would either be their classic tripod pose or a slightly different one.

Sim

Quote from: Daspletodave on December 26, 2014, 05:00:46 PM
Well well well, looks like I got under somebody's skin.
Do you work for Safari? Do you know for sure that they only discontinue figures when they are shown to be scientifically inaccurate? Then why have they not produced a new Psittacosaurus? Why have they kept awful dinosaurs like the original green T-Rex in the kangaroo posture? Why did they discontinue Corythosaurus?
I think sales have more to do with it than you think.
For the record I am not attacking you for your choice of dinosaurs. But your favorite dinos are not very popular. You can buy Psittacosaurus, Protoceratops, and Yinlong on Shapeways, but you can't buy them in plastic.
If we held a "poll" right now and asked forum members to list their top 20 ceratopsians your choices would end up dead last. Just saying. And none of these dinosaurs are boring - Triceratops, Styracosaurus, Pentaceratops, Torosaurus, Chasmosaurus, Kosmoceratops, Centrosaurus, Pachyrhinosaurus, Einiosaurus, Achelousaurus, Albertaceratops, Diabloceratops, Nasutoceratops, Xenoceratops, Medusaceratops, Agujaceratops, Anchiceratops, Arrhinoceratops, Utahceratops, and Mojoceratops (my top 20).
As far as I'm aware, the Safari Feathered Dinos toob is still in production, and it includes a Psittacosaurus and a Protoceratops. It's a shame the Safari toob figures aren't as good as the Safari Ltd. Authentics figures from sets 2 and 3.  I don't know why there's been a decline in quality for the small Safari figures.

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on December 26, 2014, 06:07:56 PM
If you do not make the toys and acquaint people with the less well known species they cannot learn nor come to enjoy them. the few times the toy companies do venture from the more establisehd dinosaurs towards less well known they often get a nice reception......
   I remember  pair of artists from the nineties doing some well less known dinosaurs...Gallimimus, and Amargasaurus, and even Ouranosaurus. No, they were not particularly well known nor popular dinosaurs, but wow , those dinosaurs and that entire line are now considered legendary status. They were the first figures for some of those species offered, but someone had the courage and vision to see that new species and new finds are fascinating to many , and may not be well known, but might just do well anyways. Or you can go back to another company even earlier, that produced a line of dinosaurs....they included baronyx, lambeosaurus, and even Mamenchisaurus....not popular dinosaurs, and likely the first sculpts done for those dinosaurs, but wow people love them now. I think when you sit and refuse to give things  a fair chance, no they will not become popular.
I completely agree.  Except for on loving the Invicta figures.  I had a number of them as a child, and I really liked some and I really disliked others, and I wasn't keen on the unpainted ones.  This is still how I feel about the Invicta figures.  Some of the ones I like are the Pteranodon (my favourite from this line, the painted one is amazing!) and Liopleurodon, some of the ones I've never been able to like are the Tyrannosaurus and Triceratops.  I'm not suggesting you're wrong about the Invicta figures though, it seems the line is quite popular on here.

Blade-of-the-Moon

The current toob figures, like the prehistoric sharks and marine reptiles are very nicely done. The older toob sets I think were just them using old molds or cheap and easy sculpts. The early Authentics were a different material as well...just a harder plastic that seems to hold more detail.

Sim

The paint application on the current toob figures is often quite sloppy.  I find the detail isn't always as good as that of the Authentics sets 2 and 3, in particular the teeth on some of the toob figures with open mouths aren't done well.  I think the current toob figures are above average, with some good figures, but that they're mostly inferior to the Authentics from sets 2 and 3 in the areas I've mentioned above as well as with their colour schemes.

suspsy

Quote from: Concavenator on December 27, 2014, 12:22:08 AM
Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on December 27, 2014, 12:09:57 AM
Quote from: suspsy on December 26, 2014, 11:59:03 PM
I really wish Carnegie was releasing a new Protoceratops to go with their Velociraptor. The two are mortal enemies, after all. And Protoceratops deserves more respect.
That would be an awesome idea !!!!!
Oh,no.A Protoceratops by Carnegie,no,please.Protoceratops just seems so dull and boring

Any dinosaur can be dull and boring depending on your personal preferences. Me, I like a good, wide variety in my dinosaur collection. I'm bored by the fact that CollectA, Safari, AND Battat chose to go with Nasutoceratops for 2015.

Like I said, Protoceratops deserves more love and respect. It may not have had great size and funky headgear, but it was a tough, rugged little ceratopsid that prospered during its time and was capable of fighting Velociraptor to a standstill. And don't forget it was one of the lead characters in Dinotopia.

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

alexeratops

Agreed. Even Jurassic Park builder (game) decided to make Nasutoceratops one of their two day dinosaurs.
like a bantha!

tanystropheus

The Tyco Protoceratops is the definitive Proto in my book (until the Papo or WS rendition).

I would love to see a Psittacosaurus that looks identical to the ones in the Transformers 4 movie. However, the only companies that could do justice (in terms of detail and 'lifelike' properties) to the Transformers: Age of Extinction Psittacosaurus is Sideshow, REBOR or Papo. I have the CollectA version - it is cute, but perhaps a bit outdated.

Concavenator

Sorry amargasaurus cazaui for saying that Protoceratops is a boring creature.I didn't do that intencionally,as well as I didn't know it was your favorite dinosaur.So I apologize. I was just giving my opinion that I think there could be more interesting similar dinosaurs.Sorry.
Quote from: suspsy on December 27, 2014, 09:22:50 PM
Quote from: Concavenator on December 27, 2014, 12:22:08 AM
Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on December 27, 2014, 12:09:57 AM
Quote from: suspsy on December 26, 2014, 11:59:03 PM
I really wish Carnegie was releasing a new Protoceratops to go with their Velociraptor. The two are mortal enemies, after all. And Protoceratops deserves more respect.
That would be an awesome idea !!!!!
Oh,no.A Protoceratops by Carnegie,no,please.Protoceratops just seems so dull and boring

Any dinosaur can be dull and boring depending on your personal preferences. Me, I like a good, wide variety in my dinosaur collection. I'm bored by the fact that CollectA, Safari, AND Battat chose to go with Nasutoceratops for 2015.

Like I said, Protoceratops deserves more love and respect. It may not have had great size and funky headgear, but it was a tough, rugged little ceratopsid that prospered during its time and was capable of fighting Velociraptor to a standstill. And don't forget it was one of the lead characters in Dinotopia.

Personally,I don't feel this way.Velociraptor was 'monstruorized' in JP and that film,which was the film that made this creature so famous gave us an inaccurate and monster-like behaviour.As someone said in another thread,I don't think deinonychosaurs were that ferocious.Let's  take birds of prey as their closest living relatives.If you look at an eagle,its behaviour is normal.It hunts but not for sport,but because the animal needs hunting for surviving.Have you read those tales people read to their children?A carnivore,usually a wolf of a lion is always the bad character,while the herbivore is the good one.Protoceratops has been neglected,and even if so,not as much as other dinosaurs that were as much,if not more interesting or important.

Bokisaurus

Here you go... in this case, the prototype paint job looks so much better than the finished product. Safari really needs to tighten up on their paint job quality control.
[]

Manatee

It's not quite as good as the prototype, sure, but still! A YUTYRANNUS!

Also, on the whole Protoceratops debate, I personally think an updated Protoceratops sculpt would be fantastic- it's been a long time since Carnegie has made a marginocephalian of any form, and it certainly would compliment their new Velociraptor. I'm with Amargasaurus in that Protoceratops or other primitive ceratopsians are in no way boring; they are a fascinating, underrated group that I would definitely like to see in toy form more than Yet Another Derived Chasmosaurine.

sauroid

the WS Yutyrannus is beautiful, but looks incomplete. like it missed the last stage of painting.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: