News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mattel - New for 2021 (Image Heavy op)

Started by Faelrin, November 29, 2020, 10:20:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrorchicken

nope dont like JW apato face. Its like there's something really uncanny about its face... why are its eyes blue? the eyes looked too human and it creeped me out in LW when it was dying and making all those weird human expressions of agony.  :P

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 10, 2021, 04:18:34 AM
I'm a bit perplexed. I don't see anything really wrong with it from an anatomy standpoint. As I recall everyone was liking the Nanmu one which has the head of the Jurassic World version placed on the Sideshow Apatosaurus body... which also has a very similar head as well anyway.

see this is better, it looks like an animal (the small black eyes help) and not adult Baby from Secret of the Lost Legend(which was also creepy!)

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon link=topic=9121.msg284993#msg284993 date=1615354664

img]https://image.smythstoys.com/original/desktop/193266.jpg[/img]

lol that flappy mouth, those teeth...

Reuben03

long as my heart's beatin' in my chest
this old dawg ain't about to forget :')

Gwangi

Quote from: terrorchicken on March 10, 2021, 06:58:36 PM
lol that flappy mouth, those teeth...

That's spot on, and hilarious.

Going back to my own problems with the Jurassic World Apatosaurus face it's not that it looks too human, but it does look too mammalian. The face overall is too wrinkly, the lips too fleshy. It actually reminds me of the Mystics from The Dark Crystal. And yeah, the Nanmu Apatosaurus is based on the JW one, but the face still looks better on it to me.

Blade-of-the-Moon

If you close the mouth it looks more like the Sideshow and Nanmu ones.  I did admit the jaw is hinged midway which is a weird choice but I guess it eliminates the jaw tissue issue.

Blue eyes..idk some animals do have them. They can be repainted, I'm not seeing a good clear look at them from the side anyway as of yet. 

It's wrinkly to be sure, the Brachio also had them, but it's probably too much elephant influence, though it does have the teeth covered and it doesn't have a trunk ;)  I thought this over today and I think we are too used to seeing small figures of sauropods where the heads an inch or in some cases very much smaller. Looking around the room here where I'm sitting most of these figures around me all have this docile blank expression like a cow for the most part, even like a camel or horse.

BTW, the Mystics always reminded me a bit of sauropods with the longer necks and face appearance.

dinoMD

Is it the legacy collection figure releasing on March 17th at Target? 

Faelrin

The Zuniceratops, baby Brachiosaurus, etc are up for preorder on Entertainment Earth now (as well as the Plesiosaurus and a few others). And Collect Jurassic also shared some new nice pics of them:

I'm thinking with all these April dates (which is when stuff started officially releasing back in 2018), it's probably safe to say most of this stuff was planned to release alongside Dominion (such as the Apatosaurus probably), before it got delayed another year. Considering most of this stuff probably isn't plot relevant or going to spoil the film there's no reason why it can't be released now.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Carnoking

I have sat on this for a bit now, and I honestly can't put my finger on why but this thing just does not look like a Jurassic World Apatosaurus to me. I don't dislike it, but it doesn't look like the movie critter in my eyes.

dinoMD

Quote from: dinoMD on March 11, 2021, 03:17:54 AM
Is it the legacy collection figure releasing on March 17th at Target?

I'm basing this on Smyths website, which indicates availability between March 17-24.  That would be most grand.

Reuben03

Quote from: Carnoking on March 11, 2021, 06:29:59 AM
I have sat on this for a bit now, and I honestly can't put my finger on why but this thing just does not look like a Jurassic World Apatosaurus to me. I don't dislike it, but it doesn't look like the movie critter in my eyes.
i just want a LW:JP mamenchisaurus lol

Gwangi

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 11, 2021, 01:12:58 AM
If you close the mouth it looks more like the Sideshow and Nanmu ones.  I did admit the jaw is hinged midway which is a weird choice but I guess it eliminates the jaw tissue issue.

Blue eyes..idk some animals do have them. They can be repainted, I'm not seeing a good clear look at them from the side anyway as of yet. 

It's wrinkly to be sure, the Brachio also had them, but it's probably too much elephant influence, though it does have the teeth covered and it doesn't have a trunk ;)  I thought this over today and I think we are too used to seeing small figures of sauropods where the heads an inch or in some cases very much smaller. Looking around the room here where I'm sitting most of these figures around me all have this docile blank expression like a cow for the most part, even like a camel or horse.

BTW, the Mystics always reminded me a bit of sauropods with the longer necks and face appearance.

The Jurassic Park Brachiosaurus isn't nearly as wrinkled as the Apatosaurus, and the wrinkles aren't as deep in the flesh. They're far more believable.

The wrinkling on that Apatosaurus looks like an old UKRD toy. But it's whatever, I don't like it but I don't need to convince other people that they shouldn't too.

Reuben03

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Faelrin on March 11, 2021, 05:14:12 AM
The Zuniceratops, baby Brachiosaurus, etc are up for preorder on Entertainment Earth now (as well as the Plesiosaurus and a few others). And Collect Jurassic also shared some new nice pics of them:

I'm thinking with all these April dates (which is when stuff started officially releasing back in 2018), it's probably safe to say most of this stuff was planned to release alongside Dominion (such as the Apatosaurus probably), before it got delayed another year. Considering most of this stuff probably isn't plot relevant or going to spoil the film there's no reason why it can't be released now.

Saw them at EE yesterday, my only complaint is EE is a bit overpriced plus taxes and shipping...and things can be in stores way before they get stock.

Quote from: Gwangi on March 11, 2021, 01:52:15 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 11, 2021, 01:12:58 AM

The Jurassic Park Brachiosaurus isn't nearly as wrinkled as the Apatosaurus, and the wrinkles aren't as deep in the flesh. They're far more believable.

The wrinkling on that Apatosaurus looks like an old UKRD toy. But it's whatever, I don't like it but I don't need to convince other people that they shouldn't too.

I guess my issue was with trying to find out what wasn't accurate about the head that immediately started folks saying it looked like a human one as I didn't see it. Having sculpted an Apatosaurus head in 1:1 scale I never thought that so was really curious as to what others were seeing. Maybe I just didn't have that mental connection?  It's a toy after all so no real concerns there. This is probably the first thing I've hardcore discussed on here in months.. lol

Gwangi

avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon, I'm not talking about the toy, I'm talking about the animal in the movie that we began discussing before the toy was revealed. It's been awhile since I've seen the movie but I remember some mammalian facial expressions during its death throws that I found off putting and unrealistic. I'm not sure of any glaring inaccuracies with it but I just don't like most of the aesthetic choices in its design, but I never brought up the accuracy of it in the first place. 

terrorchicken

I have no problem with anyone liking the apato toy or the design of the one in the film. I was just trying to get across what I meant with it looking creepy and uncannily human to me. Since alot of you were confused about what I meant, and yeah Gwangi is right, too"mammalian" would have been a better word to use. I mean the toy is a toy so whatever, many of the JW toys aren't very realistic, but I felt they anthropomorphized(or Disneyfied) the apato in the film way too much, I guess  they felt they had to design it that way so the audience would emphasize with it, which I felt was unnecessary.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Apologies. I guess I was reading the comments as "inaccurate" and wrong in terms of look. That's why I posted the comparisons between the others. The skull and shape look good to me. Eye color, skin wrinkles, to me are just artistic license.  Possibly plausible.    "Too mammalian" is a better description, maybe anthropomorphized?  I probably would have still read it wrong and asked for clarification. Building new dinos now and my brain is in that mode.

Dinoguy2

I wonder how long until we see leaks of the human characters' figures and more plot-specific stuff. If the toys were meant to be released around now, they must have at least started a full production run before the movie was delayed? At the very least the molds would be done and there should be some test run samples laying around those factories, if not finished, carded samples.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on March 16, 2021, 11:38:50 AM

I wonder how long until we see leaks of the human characters' figures and more plot-specific stuff. If the toys were meant to be released around now, they must have at least started a full production run before the movie was delayed? At the very least the molds would be done and there should be some test run samples laying around those factories, if not finished, carded samples.

I'd say they are doing their best to keep things under wraps. I'm honestly surprised we are getting so much merch this year that is not Dominion related. Godzilla VS Kong was the first film that I saw a ton of toys for last year with no movie to carry it. Minions Rise of Gru was another it's film was just delayed til next year ( my nephew is dying to see it ).  But they were able to keep the Mecha G design mostly secret ( blurry photos aside) til just last week. 

Faelrin

Some in box pics of the new Legacy Nedry Jeep set (Collect Jurassic does make a good point about the lack of red stripe on the Jeep compared to the promo pics. Also that box art looks awesome):

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMg0-SFlUmF/?igshid=18swgu5q0wefu

Also a look at the two new Savage Strike raptors in box. I am totally digging the Lost World look of the second.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMhE6WrFqsi/?igshid=1hoetdn55xos2
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Blade-of-the-Moon

That Nedry set is pretty awesome, just preordered it from Target.com  Looks to be released on April 11th?

Carnoking

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: