News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New for 2022

Started by Renecito, January 05, 2022, 12:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohannesB

I think the general consensus made me reconsider the acquisition of this figure. The head and tail being the biggest problem with it C:-) Thanks, because quite some money saved, there ;D

Faelrin

Well I just woke up to this. Very excited and glad this isn't a Museum line model and goes on sale 20% close to my birthday. Hopefully I can justify ordering it then. Only issue is I should be moving soon and still haven't found a place yet.

But anyways I like the pose, and the coloration (though I'm fearing what the final product will be like).

After reading others thoughts I do agree the head seems oddly big, and maybe too short of a tail (looks like it's curving to me so want to wait for in hand pics first). Nothing new from them sadly. As far as I know there's no evidence for those spikes either, but they don't bother me too much.

Edit: I think it is missing the enlarged claw on the first digit too. Hmm. Didn't the Allosaurus have this issue too?

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator Was this mentioned in the thread? I guess I should jog my memory if it was shown there.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Concavenator

Quote from: Concavenator on May 13, 2022, 03:17:57 PM
Head too big, tail too short and thin.

I also noticed the head is not only too big, but it's also more elongated than it should be. It's surprising to say this, but I think the Papo version and this one aren't too far off when it comes to accuracy (though the Papo has a monsterish look and a terrible pose). PNSO disappointed me with this one, I think it would be comparable to the GR Toys version but looks like it won't be the case. Eofauna clearly wouldn't release a figure with as many issues as this Acrocanthosaurus or the Corythosaurus.

avatar_JohannesB @JohannesB Based on the WIP posted, the GR Toys Acrocanthosaurus will easily beat this PNSO one in accuracy and will probably have a similar price, so if you're interested in getting an accurate Acrocanthosaurus instead of one that simply looks cool, you'd be better off with that one instead. The 2012 Safari Acrocanthosaurus is more accurate than this one as well.

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin the GR Toys Acrocanthosaurus you mean? This is the WIP that was posted.

Quote from: Faras on April 17, 2022, 05:34:13 PM

Quote from: Faelrin on May 13, 2022, 04:09:06 PM
Edit: I think it is missing the enlarged claw on the first digit too. Hmm. Didn't the Allosaurus have this issue too?

It seems it varies from one copy to another. avatar_Sim @Sim said his Allosaurus had the larger claw.

GojiraGuy1954

Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Faelrin

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator Thanks. Okay now I'm torn. I hope they fix the length of the tail but overall looks good. And has lips too which I prefer. I guess in hand pics are gonna be my deciding factor then. Or maybe I'll shell out for both.

Shadowknight1

It's not that bad... It's not like there's been an accurate Acrocanthosaurus figure anyway outside of maybe the Battat.
Safari: Clown feet, no enlarged thumb claw, and on a personal note, way too small.
CollectA: Almost literally their Carcharodontosaurus with a very small sail that stops at the base of the neck.
Rebor: Big feet, no enlarged thumb claw, and the head is so overdone you can't see the crests.
Papo: Way too long a head, more of a sail than a hump, arms are way too big, arms could not articulate at the angle Papo has them in.

Also, the head of the PNSO one looks better in the picture where it's standing on its box.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

SRF

But wait, does this one have lips?  :o

But today, I'm just being father

Concavenator

Looks like so. Usually PNSO's art depictions end up being more accurate than the actual figures lol. The Sinraptor art also showed it with lips. Let's see how that one turns out, hopefully it's not another mess.

Faelrin

avatar_Shadowknight1 @Shadowknight1 I kind of glossed over that pic earlier. I think you are right. It does look better in that one. Only pic showcasing the closed mouth too.

Of course the best thing will be to wait for in hand pics and videos to know for sure what's going on. Could be another instance of the PNSO Corythosaurus, which while the final figure did still have a large head admittedly, was not as bad as the promo pic made it look.

Bread

Quote from: Concavenator on May 13, 2022, 03:17:57 PM
I can see the hype behind this one, but based on what we've seen so far, the GR Toys Acrocanthosaurus beats this one in the accuracy department and will be a better option. Not to mention the upcoming BotM one as well (though that one will surely be way more expensive than both).
Thank you for the reminder. I was just trying to find which company teased an accurate representation of an Acrocanthosaurus recently.

Joel1905

Yet again, people on this forum (as well as other places on social media) are really going all out with the nitpicking. PNSO are known to have wonky proportions in promo pics due to the angles they take pics of the master copies from, in hand, the proportions always look better.

This is the best mass produced Acrocanthosaurus ever made, and is even on par with some larger statues/resin kits, from the promo pics it looks like a living, breathing animal rather than a plastic model. I don't know why people are being so overly critical? Especially when other brands seem to get a free pass over much more egregious errors and much lower production quality.

At this point I'm starting to think that its just Sinophobia.

Shadowknight1

Quote from: Faelrin on May 13, 2022, 04:45:47 PM
avatar_Shadowknight1 @Shadowknight1 I kind of glossed over that pic earlier. I think you are right. It does look better in that one. Only pic showcasing the closed mouth too.

Of course the best thing will be to wait for in hand pics and videos to know for sure what's going on. Could be another instance of the PNSO Corythosaurus, which while the final figure did still have a large head admittedly, was not as bad as the promo pic made it look.
Wasn't there similar concerns regarding the size of their Allosaurus's head, or am I just misremembering?
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Bread

Quote from: Joel1905 on May 13, 2022, 05:00:46 PM
Yet again, people on this forum (as well as other places on social media) are really going all out with the nitpicking. PNSO are known to have wonky proportions in promo pics due to the angles they take pics of the master copies from, in hand, the proportions always look better.

This is the best mass produced Acrocanthosaurus ever made, and is even on par with some larger statues/resin kits, from the promo pics it looks like a living, breathing animal rather than a plastic model. I don't know why people are being so overly critical? Especially when other brands seem to get a free pass over much more egregious errors and much lower production quality.

1) Yes you could argue the pictures just make this figure have wonky proportions. However, in hand this figure is still going to have some of the already stated errors. Their Corythosaurus had the same issues. Oversized head and crest, definitely worse in images than in hand, but definitely noticeable in hand.

Also, I don't see why a company has to be known or have an excuse for wonky proportions? Only thing I give a pass to is oversized feet for bipedals.

2) Yeah I would argue this is the best Acrocanthosaurus on the market (or one of the best). Has some issues, but I don't see why it is wrong to call those issues out?

Also, companies don't get a pass from criticism(s). I have yet to see one company not receive any criticism(s).

Gwangi

That's a really heavy accusation, and simply not true. We're critical of PNSO because we expect quality, they're the ones who set the bar so high so this isn't an insult. I actually don't disagree with you that it is arguably the best mass produced Acrocanthosaurus ever made. BUT...it will be considerably more expensive than any of its competition so... harsher criticism for a more expensive product. The oversized feet on the Safari toy are easier to overlook because the model costs $12 vs. $40.

I don't understand why we can't be critical and why people around here are critical of people being critical. We like what we like. My initial reaction over this figure, one I've been hyped for, was disappointment. I can't help that, I feel what I feel and my feelings are valid. Am I not supposed to share that here? What is this forum for if we cannot discuss the pros and cons of a model? Are we supposed to interact in an echo chamber? "I like it", "oh, I like it too", "good", "good". No, that's boring. Furthermore, if not for the criticism of the consumer base would these models be as good as they are today? Isn't the appeasement of the consumer what drives for better products? PNSO used to overly texture the scales on their theropods, now they don't. Why? Could it be because of consumer dissatisfaction? Constructive criticism for a product should be expected and welcomed around here. Criticizing the membership because they don't all share the same opinion? Not sure about that one. Also not sure about insinuating racism. Every brand has its critics around here.

Concavenator

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on May 13, 2022, 05:01:34 PM
Quote from: Faelrin on May 13, 2022, 04:45:47 PM

Wasn't there similar concerns regarding the size of their Allosaurus's head, or am I just misremembering?

Yes, too small specifically, but in the end the figure was fine. This time the head is so clearly too big and the tail too short that it's difficult to think the final figure won't have these problems. Ideally they would correct it, but I'm not holding my breath

Also avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi you simply couldn't have said it clearer. There are so many examples in which fan critics helped the companies release better, more accurate products, like the PNSO scales one you mention. Here are some another.

- People pointed out the Mesozoic Life Spinosaurus should have flat toe claws...then they corrected it. It's undeniable the figure is now more accurate than it was before those critics. Is this something bad?

- People also pointed out the BotM Teratophoneus' neck was too thin, and David Silva corrected it afterwards. It's critics that drive companies to improve. Don't forget we pay to get the figures, we are in our full right for criticizing if we feel like so.

Quote from: Gwangi on May 13, 2022, 05:17:30 PM
My initial reaction over this figure, one I've been hyped for, was disappointment.

Funnily enough, my initial reaction was the inverse. I got all excited when I saw it but after I while I started to realize its errors and was underwhelmed.

stargatedalek

PNSO figures warrant nitpicking. In one part because they just, often do have things to nitpick. In particular it's annoyingly common for the original reference artwork to be considerably more accurate than the final figure. But in larger part because they are particularly expensive, and because they market themselves as a sci-art company that makes toys, rather than a toy company that tries to be scientifically accurate.

They bring this higher scrutiny on themselves with the manner in which they present their company. People are more willing to excuse errors on less expensive figures, especially ones marketed as toys rather than as science collectibles.

CollectA is also a Chinese company. But I don't see anyone accusing them of being over scrutinized.

Psittacoraptor

Maybe PNSO should start paying people to say their figures are amazing on social media, or give away free samples for totally unbiased "reviews" on Youtube, like Safari and Schleich do.

Quote from: Bread on May 13, 2022, 05:12:48 PM

1) Yes you could argue the pictures just make this figure have wonky proportions. However, in hand this figure is still going to have some of the already stated errors. Their Corythosaurus had the same issues. Oversized head and crest, definitely worse in images than in hand, but definitely noticeable in hand.

Also, I don't see why a company has to be known or have an excuse for wonky proportions? Only thing I give a pass to is oversized feet for bipedals.

2) Yeah I would argue this is the best Acrocanthosaurus on the market (or one of the best). Has some issues, but I don't see why it is wrong to call those issues out?

Also, companies don't get a pass from criticism(s). I have yet to see one company not receive any criticism(s).

Can we stop pretending that some companies don't receive disproportionate criticism over others here? Safari's Altbertosaurus looks like play doh that was painted with crayons, and it's received universal praise, yet this finely sculpted Acrocanthosaurus is being called a mess. I've also yet to see another company get blamed for currency conversion and taxes affecting prices, something totally out of their control. I don't know if it's brand loyalty, but it's clear different companies are not judged by the same metrics.

Gwangi

Quote from: Psittacoraptor on May 13, 2022, 05:37:09 PM
Can we stop pretending that some companies don't receive disproportionate criticism over others here? Safari's Altbertosaurus looks like play doh that was painted with crayons, and it's received universal praise, yet this finely sculpted Acrocanthosaurus is being called a mess. I've also yet to see another company get blamed for currency conversion and taxes affecting prices, something totally out of their control. I don't know if it's brand loyalty, but it's clear different companies are not judged by the same metrics.

Funny you mention Safari. When Safari was criticized for making a Nanotyrannus it was stated in THAT thread that Safari was receiving harsher criticism than PNSO. The idea of disproportionate criticism is an illusion in your own mind. Also...Safari Albertosaurus=$15. PNSO Acrocanthosaurus=$40. They both make dinosaurs but they are not the same.

Maritimer

As Gwangi noted, PNSO has priced their figures in a range where (especially the Museum Line) are going to take some extra criticism. Few people would pick on the Acrocanthasaurus' head if it was a $10 figure - but they might at $40-50. Based on the differences between Wilson et.al., and more recent figures, PNSO has taken the criticisms offered to heart, and is making figures the market is asking for.

Yes, this fellow has a slightly larger head than perhaps he should, and an underdeveloped tail - but my immediate, gut reaction is ... "Darnit, I was kinda hoping I wouldn't need to find space for more PNSOs . . . "

BTW - has anyone else noticed the _strong_ resemblance between this Acro's paint job and the colors / patterns of Boa constrictor?

~B.

Bread

Quote from: Psittacoraptor on May 13, 2022, 05:37:09 PM
Yet, your comment on the Albertosaurus is harsher than any of the comments people have made on the Acrocanthosaurus.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: