News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New for 2022

Started by Renecito, January 05, 2022, 12:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

Thanks for sharing the link avatar_Abobo @Abobo I've already gone ahead and bookmarked it, so I can check it next week.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

stargatedalek

Quote from: Sim on May 15, 2022, 08:28:37 PM
Quote from: Concavenator on May 14, 2022, 06:18:43 PM
Quote from: Sim on May 14, 2022, 03:21:27 PMBut the Eofauna Giganotosaurus is inferior to many PNSO figures in terms of detail (why does it have lines over the antorbital fenestra?), colouration and accuracy.

Saying it's inferior in colouration is purely subjective. I have the Eofauna Giganotosaurus and I can see why it's said its paint app is on the weaker side, but I still consider it superior in this aspect to my PNSO Borealopelta, the PNSO Lambeosaurus and of course is far better than this PNSO Spinosaurus:

Spoiler
[close]

Funny you say the Eofauna Giga being inferior in colouration is subjective but then say it's far better than this PNSO Spino because I would say that last opinion is subjective - I find the Spino's colouration superior.  I'm surprised you find the Giga's colouration superior to the PNSO Lambeo's, that is subjective.  But your reply makes it sound like I said the Giga's colouration is inferior to all PNSO models, which I didn't say.  I said it's inferior to many PNSO models.  You only listed three PNSO models you think the Giga is superior to, do you really think there aren't many PNSO models with better colourations than the Eofauna Giga?

With regards to the Eofauna Giga's detail, thinking about it now I no longer think it's inferior to many PNSO figures in this area.
It's worth noting that aside from these subjective points, the Eofauna Giga is far more similar to its promotional images. I would actually say I prefer the PNSO Spinosaurus over the Eofauna Giga, but it's very different from the promotional images. We can go back and forth over which looks "better", but the misrepresentative promotional materials for the PNSO Spino are hard to deny.

Sim

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 14, 2022, 04:44:14 PMFor what it's worth, in 2021 PNSO had the most phylogenetically and temporally diverse lineup of any company, at least by a metric I invented (https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10016.0), but it's definitely true that they seem to do little clusters of closely related animals like ceratopsids, tyrannosaurs, and hadrosaurs.

I forgot to specify that I was talking about their medium-sized dinosaurs.  There the diversity is less than I would like.

Quote from: SidB on May 15, 2022, 03:28:30 AMUnfair criticisms, such as deriding an otherwise excellent product such as the Eofauna Giganotosaurus that you mentioned frequently surface. It is now often dismissed because of it's adoption of older, original notion of a longer skull, yet at the time of it's release by Eofauna, that was state-of -the-art, so in context any criticism must be tempered by this knowledge.

Actually the Eofauna Giganotosaurus was criticised for its reconstruction of the head by more than one member on the day it was fully revealed.

terrorchicken

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on May 15, 2022, 12:43:31 AMOMG, I posted this repaint 2-3 months ago and now PNSO releases a copy of my work?!

I'm kidding, just kidding...

IDK guys, I like this new figure.  I got a weird vibe when I first saw it too.  That feeling reminded much the same like the way I felt about chunkysaurus when he came out and then later on I fell in love with chunky, now chunky is one of my favorites, LOL! 

To each their own, I'm pleasantly surprised about the lower price, I love the color and camo scheme, this one will definitely be coming home as soon as it's available on prime!

nice job with the paint! what figure is this? it looks like a Safari.

am I the only one who cant keep up or even remember all these inaccuracies/correct anatomical details for each species? Its so...exhausting, lol. I just worry about the real obvious stuff like pronated hands, dragging tails etc...and if I like the sculpt overall or not.

paintingdinos

Wow, genuinely surprised people don't like the new PNSO Spino. I felt the paint was very faithful to the box image. Yeah, the box art is more vibrant, but basically all companies digitally touch up promo pics.

Anything will look a bit dull when it hasn't had the contrast and levels adjusted. But the in-hand version looks great to me. Especially when you consider its a factory paint job where people were probably making factory wages to paint it.

Medzo

Quote from: paintingdinos on May 15, 2022, 09:58:28 PMWow, genuinely surprised people don't like the new PNSO Spino. I felt the paint was very faithful to the box image. Yeah, the box art is more vibrant, but basically all companies digitally touch up promo pics.

The only thing I dislike is the smaller scale compared to the other ones. Also someone keeps posting a spino image which is way more duller painted than the promo image, but still not horrible. Don't want to be that guy, but should be tagged as spam at this point or something like that.

Faelrin

avatar_paintingdinos @paintingdinos The PNSO Spinosaurus image that avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator shared, and got quoted ad nauseam was from a recent production run that had dipped in quality control/paint application. The example you have shown is likely from the first production run, which was actually pretty faithful to the prototype or promo pics (such as on the box).

Edit: I'll be honest, I'm also growing tired of this Eofauna vs PNSO argument. I feel like this should be taken to another thread at this point, because I feel like it is derailing this one.

KrazyKaprosuchus

Quote from: Medzo on May 15, 2022, 10:43:17 PM
Quote from: paintingdinos on May 15, 2022, 09:58:28 PMWow, genuinely surprised people don't like the new PNSO Spino. I felt the paint was very faithful to the box image. Yeah, the box art is more vibrant, but basically all companies digitally touch up promo pics.

The only thing I dislike is the smaller scale compared to the other ones. Also someone keeps posting a spino image which is way more duller painted than the promo image, but still not horrible. Don't want to be that guy, but should be tagged as spam at this point or something like that.
I thought the spino was based on that juvenile specimen or something? Or am I remembering wrong? I don't mean to argue about it, as I am also disappointed in the size, but just saying.

Nixx

Quote from: stargatedalek on May 14, 2022, 08:57:57 PM
Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on May 14, 2022, 08:19:23 PM
Quote from: Lynx on May 14, 2022, 06:14:42 PMAfter seeing both promo images and in-hand images, I can say the colors look amazing. Just because something is vibrant doesn't mean it's childish or unrealistic. Lots of birds and reptiles have it. Normalize vibrant color schemes.

..sorry but are you saying that it's plausible for a very giant predator to have flamboyant random colors easily to be seen by everyone (= prey) before an ambush , even on a long distance.. ?
Yes, for a number of reasons.

Dinosaurs had much better vision than mammals, over a certain size you weren't going to be hiding unless you were actively camouflaged (ala wobbegong sharks or many insects). And large animals don't do that as it means they are restricted to hunting in very specific conditions, the largest are the aforementioned sharks.

Ambush hunting is only efficient for animals that can expend small amounts of energy. Lions and tigers are already pushing the size limits of ambush hunting, as they often live on relatively slim margins for food. Yes prey animals were a bit larger proportionally, but most large theropods were lacking adaptations for targeting prey larger than themselves.

Tyrannosaurus was the only serious exception to this and was relatively specialized for hunting adult Triceratops, with adaptations specific to running them down over a long period, hunting and tracking even by night, and snapping the neck by grabbing the frill. And even Tyrannosaurus was in no position to so much as sneeze at a full sized Edmontosaurus let alone if it ever encountered Alamosaurus.

Most of the largest herbivores were essentially invulnerable, and most of the mid sized ones were slow. Nothing was hunting adult sauropods, and most hadrosaurs were much larger than the predators they lived alongside. Due to their massive clutches however, ecosystems would have been flooded with baby dinosaurs, sauropods in particular. This is why we see evidence for what seem to be sauropod hunting features in theropods a 30th the size of the sauropods they coexisted with, there were enough young, slow, sauropods for them to eat. Add to this thyreophorans which had most of the mid sized herbivore niches locked tight, and there really wasn't that much in terms of prey that was actually all that fast.

We don't see cases of any large theropods built for quick bursts of speed, instead we see brawlers and an awful lot of pursuit predators, far more than we see in modern ecosystems.

What's your source for these claims? Like "Lions and tigers are already pushing the size limits of ambush hunting,"
Do you have a paper or anything or is it speculation? You completely writing off ambush for hadrosaurs and sauropods because at their very largest they were invulnerable is really odd. It's common sense that predators attack prey that they can manage, who says theropods weren't ambushing  medium sized sauropods and hadrosaurs? Ambush isn't only effective because you can take down something faster than you, but because you avoid a head on confrontation.

Not only that, but ambush and pursuit predation aren't mutually exclusive, and even in pursuit predation, predators tend to have some camouflage in order to get as close to prey undetected(stalking) before beginning the pursuit.
"instead we see brawlers and an awful lot of pursuit predators," What do you mean by brawlers anyway? Most theropods seem to be built to quickly dispatch prey with their mouths, Not to enter into some long conflict. And once again just because large theropods were built for pursuit doesn't mean they didn't need camouflage.

Being stupidly vibrant won't be helping your case if it means prey can identify you from a mile away and begin to either run, find shelter or prepare to defend itself.All of which would lead to the predator expending excess energy.

Lynx

I'm just going to leave this. All I wanted to say was the figure didn't look bad with natural lighting, and that vibrant color schemes should be normalize.

I never said large theropods specifically.
I never said all dinosaurs.
I never said it HAD to happen in real life. Just that it would be cool to see it more on figures.

Which started another argument. All because I wanted to say that the bright colors didn't look too bad as people were saying. I do not want this post to target anyone, but please, this is getting a bit too much.
An oversized house cat.

Bread

Quote from: Faelrin on May 15, 2022, 10:56:06 PMEdit: I'll be honest, I'm also growing tired of this Eofauna vs PNSO argument. I feel like this should be taken to another thread at this point, because I feel like it is derailing this one.
Agreed, although I have partaken in a few comments here and there, it is a long argument that has been going back and forth. I keep coming back to this thread to check for in-hand images.

Faelrin

avatar_Bread @Bread Same here. I'm just eager to see what this looks like ahead of time. Although I feel like it could be a bit too early for that yeah. I don't think I've been this excited for a PNSO reveal since the Dunkleosteus (not to say that I haven't been excited for these previous ones, but man oh man did the jaw articulation implementation look so cool, plus the fluked tail, and iridescent paint got me really hyped for it). It's just the closest thing I've been wanting other then the Papo one since I missed out on the Rebor one all those years ago.

suspsy

I stopped paying attention to the arguments a long time ago.

The last PNSO toy I bought was the Zhuchengtyrannus, and I'm still very fond of it, but now I've gone back to feeling like I basically don't care about acquiring any additional ones from them. As I've noted in the past, they're just so damned expensive, just like everything else in our lives these days. I'm not going to say never again because for all we know, PNSO will suddenly start doing prehistoric mammals beginning with the Arctotherium I keep pining for, but I feel like any future dinosaurs they put out will eventually be tackled by another company and be offered at lower prices. Or they'll be ones I'm simply not interested in, like the Acrocanthosaurus and the rumoured Sinraptor.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

SRF

The Spinosaurus is actually based on the specimen in which they found the paddle tail, which was a subadult. So in that regard it is actually close to 1:35 scale. That image of the Spinosaurus was to show how the paint quality on that figure declined in later production runs. The difference between that paintjob and the promo images is indeed quite big. On the other hand, it's still a decent paintjob. I don't have the Eofauna Giga but on photos it doesn't seem to have a paintjob that can match even the lesser done PNSO figures. Its mouth is just plain red and the color scheme is even more boring than the repetitive colors of PNSO theropods.

It's funny how controversial the Acrocanthosaurus seems to be, not even the oversized scales of Wilson, the saucage legg of Andrea or the girth of Chuanzi caused this much debate. I for one collect dinosaur figures mainly if they are aestetically pleasing representations of how they could look like in life. Sure, "accuracy" is important to me, but I'll take the PNSO Acrocanthosaurus over any other one that's currently available in a heartbeat. The same goes for a lot of figure that PNSO has released so far. People constantly emphasize that PNSO is a sci-art company. Maybe their view on PNSO should be more like they are a sci-art company.
But today, I'm just being father

Duck

Quote from: SRF on May 16, 2022, 10:28:42 AM

The Spinosaurus is actually based on the specimen in which they found the paddle tail, which was a subadult. So in that regard it is actually close to 1:35 scale. That image of the Spinosaurus was to show how the paint quality on that figure declined in later production runs. The difference between that paintjob and the promo images is indeed quite big. On the other hand, it's still a decent paintjob. I don't have the Eofauna Giga but on photos it doesn't seem to have a paintjob that can match even the lesser done PNSO figures. Its mouth is just plain red and the color scheme is even more boring than the repetitive colors of PNSO theropods.

It's funny how controversial the Acrocanthosaurus seems to be, not even the oversized scales of Wilson, the saucage legg of Andrea or the girth of Chuanzi caused this much debate. I for one collect dinosaur figures mainly if they are aestetically pleasing representations of how they could look like in life. Sure, "accuracy" is important to me, but I'll take the PNSO Acrocanthosaurus over any other one that's currently available in a heartbeat. The same goes for a lot of figure that PNSO has released so far. People constantly emphasize that PNSO is a sci-art company. Maybe their view on PNSO should be more like they are a sci-art company.
I feel like megatheropods in general are just chaos generators.

He who dwells in pond

Concavenator

The PNSO Acrocanthosaurus gives me Dinosaur King Acrocanthosaurus vibes.

SRF

avatar_Duck @Duck you have a point there I think, but even with the latest big theropod from PNSO (the very framentary Zhuchengtyrannus) the chaos wasn't going on for eight pages.
But today, I'm just being father

Darko2300

Quote from: SRF on May 16, 2022, 10:28:42 AMPeople constantly emphasize that PNSO is a sci-art company. Maybe their view on PNSO should be more like they are a sci-art company.

Very, very well said. To a point, all reconstructions are art meant to help illustrate the science. Sometimes taking a step back and looking at a sculpture as a whole can help. For me, if the piece captures the 'essence' of the animal and looks aesthetically pleasing, I'm pretty good with it.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: terrorchicken on May 15, 2022, 09:35:25 PM
Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on May 15, 2022, 12:43:31 AMOMG, I posted this repaint 2-3 months ago and now PNSO releases a copy of my work?!

I'm kidding, just kidding...

IDK guys, I like this new figure.  I got a weird vibe when I first saw it too.  That feeling reminded much the same like the way I felt about chunkysaurus when he came out and then later on I fell in love with chunky, now chunky is one of my favorites, LOL! 

To each their own, I'm pleasantly surprised about the lower price, I love the color and camo scheme, this one will definitely be coming home as soon as it's available on prime!

nice job with the paint! what figure is this? it looks like a Safari.

am I the only one who cant keep up or even remember all these inaccuracies/correct anatomical details for each species? Its so...exhausting, lol. I just worry about the real obvious stuff like pronated hands, dragging tails etc...and if I like the sculpt overall or not.

Same here, before deciding to purchase I simply ask myself a few simple questions.  What qualities does it possess?  How natural does it appear?  Is there enough to like like that would overcome any shortcomings?  I prefer to look at the positives before I decide to buy them  ;)

Yes, the figure is the Safari Daspletosaurus.  It's a nice little figure...

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: