News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Eofauna general discussion

Started by Reptilia, March 05, 2018, 01:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bokisaurus

Nice to get a new diplo, it would be awesome if they follow the same colors and design seen on the book.

Kapitaenosavrvs

Quote from: Concavenator on May 25, 2021, 02:35:53 PM
Quote from: Kapitaenosavrvs on May 25, 2021, 02:29:46 PM
I am really hoping to see a teaser on the Pose of the Figure later this Summer.

You don't have to wait to see it...you have seen it already  :) The figure will have the same pose as what we have already been shown. (Or at least, that's what I can take from Eofauna's answer when I asked them about the pose, they told me they don't have the intention to show the animal on its environment, that it will be based directly on the reconstruction from the paper. So I understand the figure is going to have the pose from the preview we have already seen).

It is hard to believe, that the actual Figure will have this pose. This is no real Pose for a Figure at all :D. At least for me. The Tail is completely straight, the Legs are completely straight and everything looks just to show the whole Animal in a neutral position. If they mean directly based on the Paper, i would think this means the poportions and the whole reconstruction itself from that Paper. But not this pose as shown in the rendered Image. This also does not fit the lifelike poses from their other Figures.

Leyster

Quote from: Volgadraco on May 25, 2021, 01:18:59 PM
Quote from: Leyster on May 25, 2021, 10:00:55 AM
Quote from: Volgadraco on May 25, 2021, 09:56:35 AM
Quote from: Kapitaenosavrvs on May 24, 2021, 09:17:43 PM
I thought the same. Since it was already said, that it will be around 1:40 and the Picture from the Book shows a 31m Diplodocus next to the Atlasaurus, it should work fine as a Model. This is also nice regaring the Pricepoint. But we will see. The Atlassaurus in the Picture has also a bit different proportions, than the Model itself. So i guess theres a bit of creative freedom and tuning in the sculptingprocess.

If they choose the coloration from the picture, i would say: Yes. Lovely.

In fact this exact sauropod isn't the Atlasaurus but rather a close undescribed relative which can be seen from the text of book. Although Atlasaurus also showing up in the book its color is a bit different from the model, while proportions are much closer to the figure. I think we shouldn't forget that the figures are sculpted off 3d modeled skeletons while drawings can have some liberty to the proportions.
Given that the illustrations are the works of Andrey Atuchin, I doubt that there are proportion issues in the drawings. Also, Atlasaurus is not complete, so I wouldn't put that much faith in the fact that it was modeled from a 3d skeleton (in fact, I recall that someone cast doubt on the Paul skeletal they used). In the theropod book, dinosaurs illustrations in the "Speed" section are made by Sante Mazzei, so I think they simply recycled the already made Atlasaurus illustration (do not forget that the eofauna model that shares its colouration is specifically labelled Atlasaurus imelakei) for the unnamed neosauropod and commissioned Mazzei to do another Atlasaurus for the "Speed" section.

Oh, I see now. Do they really use GSP skeletals that often?
I think that sadly Paul's Atlasaurus is the only Atlasaurus. I'm a bit suspicious that the Eofauna model might result inaccurate in future, but let's wait for someone else redoing the skeletal first.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Volgadraco

Quote from: Leyster on May 25, 2021, 06:02:10 PM
Quote from: Volgadraco on May 25, 2021, 01:18:59 PM
Quote from: Leyster on May 25, 2021, 10:00:55 AM
Quote from: Volgadraco on May 25, 2021, 09:56:35 AM
Quote from: Kapitaenosavrvs on May 24, 2021, 09:17:43 PM
I thought the same. Since it was already said, that it will be around 1:40 and the Picture from the Book shows a 31m Diplodocus next to the Atlasaurus, it should work fine as a Model. This is also nice regaring the Pricepoint. But we will see. The Atlassaurus in the Picture has also a bit different proportions, than the Model itself. So i guess theres a bit of creative freedom and tuning in the sculptingprocess.

If they choose the coloration from the picture, i would say: Yes. Lovely.
Ok, but my question was if they were using Paul's skeletals in all of their dinosaur figurines. Also I thought they were using their own assemble of bones 3d scanned, thus creating their own skeletal arrangements, for example the diplodocus from the paper looks quite different from Paul's skeletal when compared as it seems to me.

In fact this exact sauropod isn't the Atlasaurus but rather a close undescribed relative which can be seen from the text of book. Although Atlasaurus also showing up in the book its color is a bit different from the model, while proportions are much closer to the figure. I think we shouldn't forget that the figures are sculpted off 3d modeled skeletons while drawings can have some liberty to the proportions.
Given that the illustrations are the works of Andrey Atuchin, I doubt that there are proportion issues in the drawings. Also, Atlasaurus is not complete, so I wouldn't put that much faith in the fact that it was modeled from a 3d skeleton (in fact, I recall that someone cast doubt on the Paul skeletal they used). In the theropod book, dinosaurs illustrations in the "Speed" section are made by Sante Mazzei, so I think they simply recycled the already made Atlasaurus illustration (do not forget that the eofauna model that shares its colouration is specifically labelled Atlasaurus imelakei) for the unnamed neosauropod and commissioned Mazzei to do another Atlasaurus for the "Speed" section.

Oh, I see now. Do they really use GSP skeletals that often?
I think that sadly Paul's Atlasaurus is the only Atlasaurus. I'm a bit suspicious that the Eofauna model might result inaccurate in future, but let's wait for someone else redoing the skeletal first.

grantharding

I just became aware of the Eofauna Triceratops today, with the review published on the blog.

It looks like the sculptors followed the recommendations of Ali Nabavizadeh (2018) in reconstructing the jaw muscles:

And is it just me, or did they also follow Mark Witton's recommendation for twisty horn sheaths?

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Shonisaurus on May 21, 2021, 08:23:39 AM
I am afraid that the diplodocus figure of Eofauna will not be very large. It is very expensive to make large sauropods and it implies economic losses as I have indicated in other posts many months ago, so I am afraid that it will be smaller than many DTF members would like. It is not profitable to sell a diplodocus or other large sauropod by any toy dinosaur company.
It's 1:40 scale
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

suspsy

At 1:40 scale, it should be the biggest EoFauna toy yet.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Shonisaurus

That is great at 1:40 scale it will be perhaps the best diplodocus made in figure. On the other hand, Eofauna could make two versions of painting to choose from.

Sim

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 21, 2021, 05:51:21 PM
Quote from: Sim on January 17, 2021, 05:29:54 PM
Sorry for the off-topic post, but I found Scott Hartman's comments, they can be seen here: https://www.deviantart.com/comments/1/579486452/4048155959
Quotedoes anyone restore crocodiles or ankylosaurs with soft-tissues covering their armor?
Has... has he ever seen a crocodile? They have skin covering their armor that smooths it out and makes it look like part of the skin rather than sitting on top like he is advocating for in Dunkleosteus.

Good point about crocodilian armour being covered in skin.  I think Scott expressed himself poorly and meant the armour would be externally visible like it is in crocodilians (as far as I can see) and not obscured by skin as in the Dunkleosteus reconstruction he commented on.

Jorgesaurus

Does anyone have any information about the 2021 eofauna diplodocus product?

suspsy

Nothing new. I suspect it won't be out until 2022.

Jorgesaurus

Concavenator

Quote from: Jorgesaurus on September 17, 2021, 05:16:08 PM
Does anyone have any information about the 2021 eofauna diplodocus product?

Nothing new, but I was casually scrolling through the comments section of a YouTube video from Everything Dinosaur's channel (the video was about the test results of the Dino Hazard Irritator) and someone said he/she had ordered a Cryptic Trike from their website and that everything was fine. Why am I mentioning this? Well, Everything Dinosaur literally answered: "Thanks for reaching out to us, hope you like the Triceratops model. Look out for another new Eofauna model which we will announce shortly". I guess they mean the Diplodocus. That comment was made in July. Based on that answer, I think it's possible it will be revealed before 2022.

Still, who knows. I love Eofauna's figures, but they are pretty busy with research and they take their time when releasing a new figure. I will of course look forward to it when it's released, but in the mean time we can enjoy all the other fantastic models that have been released lately.

SidB

This year, avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator , sounds great. I was hoping that this sole release wouldn't lag until 2022. It's not like Eofauna is flooding the market either, though I'm not complaining, as I appreciate that they take their time to do a superior job with researching and executing each release, plus their other projects. It's just that the experience of waiting is reminiscent of the old Carnegie days when they were releasing only one figure per year.

Concavenator

Quote from: SidB on September 18, 2021, 01:36:53 AMIt's just that the experience of waiting is reminiscent of the old Carnegie days when they were releasing only one figure per year.

That's certainly a very apt comparison!
And completely agree with you. This year has been so good so far that if last year (and last year many great models were released too) I had seen what was going to come out this year, I would hardly believe it. What a time to be a collector!

SidB

Quote from: Concavenator on September 18, 2021, 08:13:35 AM
Quote from: SidB on September 18, 2021, 01:36:53 AMIt's just that the experience of waiting is reminiscent of the old Carnegie days when they were releasing only one figure per year.

That's certainly a very apt comparison!
And completely agree with you. This year has been so good so far that if last year (and last year many great models were released too) I had seen what was going to come out this year, I would hardly believe it. What a time to be a collector!
True. I feel privileged and I know that most of us from the early 2000's and back to the 1990's and beyond feel the same way too. The range of choices and their quality, especially, is just astonishing. As I mentioned in an earlier post on the Battat thread, I just can't believe that I retired my Battat collection to its boxes. That would have been unheard of, but now, what with the PNSO, GR, Vitae, etc., as well as outstanding recent work from Safari and CollectA, these golden oldies have been overshadowed. Who'd have believed it!

Concavenator

Since we can expect their next figure to be a Tyrannosaurus, what about their next one? In case it's a dinosaur, I think it might be an ornithischian, probably a hadrosaur. I remember this:

Quote from: Arctinus on November 02, 2020, 09:45:55 PM
They also said there's a possibility for a hadrosaur, something I'd also like to see:

Also, on their specific gravities' paper, an Edmontosaurus (? Looks like E.regalis) is featured on an illustration. Interestingly, on the same illustration, the Triceratops sp, as well as the D.carnegii and the T.rex appear, and all are (or should I say will be) figures from their line. Though if they choose to make an Edmontosaurus, I imagine it will be an E.annectens, since that's the species that was found in the Hell Creek formation (not E.regalis) and would be a good excuse to display it alongside their Triceratops and upcoming Tyrannosaurus. E.annectens is also known from good remains, the genus itself is also one of the most iconic and famous dinosaurs, and it was a pretty big creature (so far all the species Eofauna have chosen to make models of are big animals), so it would make a lot of sense as a release.

I also think a Gargoyleosaurus is a possibility. It's also featured in the same illustration I mentioned, and, like Diplodocus, it also comes from the Morrison formation.

suspsy

I would much prefer a Corythosaurus from them instead. 1) It would surely be excellent; 2) It would cost significantly less than the PNSO version; 3) It would most likely be more stable than the PNSO version as well.

Concavenator

So I just had this idea...

avatar_Eofauna @Eofauna has a Tyrannosaurus in their plans... They released 2 colour variants for their Triceratops... What about a Prehistoric Planet colour variant? I think they would probably consider it, the Prehistoric Planet Tyrannosaurus has a nice, naturalistic colour scheme. This came to my mind after I remembered the PP repainted 2020 Wilson, and I thought it would be great to have a figure that was originally painted like that.

Interestingly, Eofauna would probably be the best chance for something like this to happen, because David Silva said he would steer away from pop culture inspiration for the Fans' Choice tyrannosaurs, so the prospect of a Fans' Choice BotM Tyrannosaurus, as of right now, is out of the question.

Let's be honest, everyone knows Tyrannosaurus figures sells like hotcakes. With that in mind, why not take the most advantage out of this fact and release a colour variant that will attract a lot of people? It would all be advantages, plus they have already launched more than a single colour variant for a figure, and I think this case would be very fitting.

Over9K

Quote from: Concavenator on June 01, 2022, 01:36:47 AMInterestingly, Eofauna would probably be the best chance for something like this to happen, because David Silva said he would steer away from pop culture inspiration for the Fans' Choice tyrannosaurs, so the prospect of a Fans' Choice BotM Tyrannosaurus, as of right now, is out of the question.

IMO, the standard paint-scheme for the BOTM T.rex is already pretty close to the Prehistoric Planet colorway...

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: