News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Eofauna general discussion

Started by Reptilia, March 05, 2018, 01:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

avatar_Bread @Bread You aren't alone there. I also dislike the roaring pose, because it's been done to death in T. rex figures. Something a little more original would have been a breath of fresh air (yes I'm aware of PNSO's sitting T. rex, but there's issues with its anatomy).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Flaffy

Quote from: suspsy on November 07, 2022, 04:11:01 PMAn articulated jaw wouldn't be feasible on this T. rex due to the cheeks. Would look pretty bad if they tried.

You say that...

Patrx

This looks promising! I sincerely hope they don't try an articulated jaw though.

Flaffy

I stand by my opinion that theropods aren't Eofauna's strong suite. This Tyrannosaurus is no different.

The lack of a postorbital boss and keratin makes the design rather generic and boring. Not sure about the arm positioning and surrounding musculature. And the texture work looks simutaneously overdone and undefined at the same time, much like the Giganotosaurus.

The reconstruction of extra oral tissue on this model is pretty cool, but will probably get ruined by the jaw articulation... We'll see.

I'd hold off on calling this the ultimate Tyrannosaurus figure. Especially since we haven't even seen the final model.

Concavenator

I really don't care whether or not it will have an articulated jaw. Without, it would probably look nicer in the end, but I wouldn't be able to display it with its mouth closed as I always do with theropods (unless they release a closed mouth variant, which I don't see them doing). If they finally give it an articulated jaw, as long as it's not disastrously executed and there are no quality control issues, I would be fine.

Halichoeres

I notice they're just using the genus name and specimen number, rather than the silly new species name Paul et al. tried to give it.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Loon

Yeah, that's interesting. Though, looking at some older posts on Facebook, they have labeled it just tyrannosaurus in the past.

I've got to agree with the concerns about the inclusion of jaw articulation. I'm pretty over moveable jaws at this point; in my opinion, they break up one of the more important parts of the sculpt. That combined with the fact that the moveable jaw on the Giganotosaurus was ultimately not that smooth and (if I recall correctly) ruined the lower jaw sculpt. Given this figure's more bird-like jaws, I can't even imagine how that would work while preserving the look.

I also think the pose is a bit bland, to be honest. There's something about the bulk of Tyrannosaurus that makes me always want figures where it's look down at something. Like, this huge thing just noticed you and you're basically done. I'm also a sucker for displaying T. Rex and Triceratops going at it, so it looking up into the sky takes away from that. And...this is utterly selfish, but I wish it was at least looking to the left. Despite all that, I think it looks like the best Tyrannosaurus out there. It's still early in development and those things I complained about can change, but they probably won't.

Between this and the PNSO Therizinosaurus, GR Toys has really been outshined recently.
"GR Toys? More like Generally Replaced Toys!"
Sorry.

Bread

Paleokhris just revealed his 3D model render of Sue, which will soon be available to purchase said 3D printed model.

Similar to this, is what I would have wanted Eofauna's pose to be like, or at least in a similar way to their Giganotosaurus.

Edit: Plus I find this closer to the Real Life Sue Model by BlueRhino.

Not final pose! Although Paleokhris is very conservative with poses, so he keeps them simple like their Prehistoric Planet Tyrannosaurus.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Bread on November 08, 2022, 06:37:16 PMPaleokhris just revealed his 3D model render of Sue, which will soon be available to purchase said 3D printed model.

This is what I would have wanted Eofauna's pose to be like, or at least in a similar way to their Giganotosaurus.

Edit: Plus I find this closer to the Real Life Sue Model by BlueRhino.
Thats practically the dinosaur equivalent of a T-pose, there's no life to it
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Bread

avatar_GojiraGuy1954 @GojiraGuy1954 fixed my statement.

That model is not done yet, usually the pose is like a simple walking posture. Similar to his Prehistoric Planet Tyrannosaurus.

Again, I wish Eofauna was more in-line with this, would definitely be a pickup despite us even seeing the colorscheme yet.

Concavenator

I asked Eofauna about its stability and they replied to me saying they will be including a removable base. We will just wait and see how it turns out. Personally, I would prefer a transparent acrylic rod like those PNSO or Rebor include (as they're non-obstrusive, cheap to produce and do their job very effectively), but at least it's something, certainly a very welcome upgrade coming from the Giganotosaurus with nothing at all though!

I also asked them if they will keep using the T.imperator name and apparently yes, they will. They also told me Paul and colleagues have found more diagnostic traits supporting their hypothesis ever since, and that this work is ongoing. From what they said this work may take some years to publish. Moreover, I saw this on Facebook:

(in response to someone who asked why the pre- and post-orbital lumps weren't more developed)

It looks like they have access to some of the unpublished information, I imagine they contacted the authors. Based on what's discussed in the current paper, I think the arguments for T.regina and T.imperator being valid species are rather weak, but at least we know something may be coming down the road. Not to mention 2 million years is quite some time for not existing any processes of speciation at all. As of right now, calling it Tyrannosaurus rex or simply Tyrannosaurus sp. would probably have been a safer choice. Though in this particular case it doesn't really matter, since it's based on a specific individual anyways. Be it T.rex or T.imperator, Sue is still Sue. Same as their Triceratops, Yoshi's Trike hasn't been assigned to any of the 2 valid species and might as well be a new one.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Carnoking on November 07, 2022, 01:39:13 PMI don't doubt there will be plenty of folks out there who prefer Kiss either for posing versatility, paint, or overall aesthetics but in my book this is shaping up to be the (current) definitive rex model, at least in regards to sculpt. I suppose they could ruin it with a gaudy paint job but fingers crossed this one's more in line with their Atlasaurus than their Giganotosaurus.   

Absolutely, the people Eofauna is using for paint have not been doing there sculpts justice, the elephants and altasaurus being the exceptions.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: suspsy on November 07, 2022, 12:53:04 PMI'm really liking how the cheeks are covering the back of the jaws.

OMG yes, I hope they don't ruin this with moveable jaws.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: 5aurophaganax on November 08, 2022, 02:17:57 AMI really don't care whether or not it will have an articulated jaw. Without, it would probably look nicer in the end, but I wouldn't be able to display it with its mouth closed as I always do with theropods (unless they release a closed mouth variant, which I don't see them doing). If they finally give it an articulated jaw, as long as it's not disastrously executed and there are no quality control issues, I would be fine.

Seems like a waste to not release a closed mouth variant because of the lips.  The way these molds are constructed the lower jaw is always a separate piece.  So there is no reason not to cast two different lower jaws one open and one that is closed.  You can please more people by having two jaw options and two color variations and double the sales on basically the same mold. 

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is something they have already thought to do, especially considering their response to folks on facebook. 

Eofauna, rather than disappointing most everyone with articulation, please release two versions and make everyone happy!

Flaffy

avatar_Concavenator @5aurophaganax I too think it'd be wise to just name this figure Tyrannosaurus sp. , like their "Yoshi's Trike" figure. A stategic move to avoid controversy in the future if the consensus leans one way or the other.

And note how Eofauna says "morphotype" instead of "species", so there's that.

Flaffy

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on November 08, 2022, 11:27:29 PM
Quote from: Carnoking on November 07, 2022, 01:39:13 PMI don't doubt there will be plenty of folks out there who prefer Kiss either for posing versatility, paint, or overall aesthetics but in my book this is shaping up to be the (current) definitive rex model, at least in regards to sculpt. I suppose they could ruin it with a gaudy paint job but fingers crossed this one's more in line with their Atlasaurus than their Giganotosaurus.   

Absolutely, the people Eofauna is using for paint have not been doing there sculpts justice, the elephants and altasaurus being the exceptions.

Their Triceratops desperately needs a repaint. "Dominant" is just so basic, and "Cryptic" goes off on the far end of wacky. (I know the latter is based off a chameleon, but I don't find the colour scheme particularly pleasing nor convincing.)

edu

The pose looks bland, the open mouth looks a repetition of the never dying roaring theropod trope, it doesn't look bulky enough, the muscles around the arm look strange... first Eofauna figure i don't like at first sight. I'll have to see the final product but... I am looking right now for Rebor's Kiss.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Flaffy on November 09, 2022, 01:12:53 AM
Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on November 08, 2022, 11:27:29 PM

Their Triceratops desperately needs a repaint. "Dominant" is just so basic, and "Cryptic" goes off on the far end of wacky. (I know the latter is based off a chameleon, but I don't find the colour scheme particularly pleasing nor convincing.)

I would definitely buy another one with a nice scheme that's 'convincing' like you said.  The sculpt is fantastic and truly deserves better.

I thought they did better on the diplodocus but that one is still not a favorite.  I'd do away with the dark chocolate and stick with grey and brown with some dark brown washes.  According to what I've read about those animals much like elephants their colors would've been more bland.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: edu on November 09, 2022, 02:13:10 PMThe pose looks bland, the open mouth looks a repetition of the never dying roaring theropod trope, it doesn't look bulky enough, the muscles around the arm look strange... first Eofauna figure i don't like at first sight. I'll have to see the final product but... I am looking right now for Rebor's Kiss.

I had the opposite reaction, it looks like one of the most convincing tyrannosaurs I've ever seen.  It's still early and we haven't seen the whole thing yet.  Hang in there because we are so conditioned to looking for JP flavor and personality in our tyrannosaurs I think having something that actually looks like a plausible animal is a bit of a shock to the system.

edu

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on November 09, 2022, 03:15:48 PM
Quote from: edu on November 09, 2022, 02:13:10 PMThe pose looks bland, the open mouth looks a repetition of the never dying roaring theropod trope, it doesn't look bulky enough, the muscles around the arm look strange... first Eofauna figure i don't like at first sight. I'll have to see the final product but... I am looking right now for Rebor's Kiss.

I had the opposite reaction, it looks like one of the most convincing tyrannosaurs I've ever seen.  It's still early and we haven't seen the whole thing yet.  Hang in there because we are so conditioned to looking for JP flavor and personality in our tyrannosaurs I think having something that actually looks like a plausible animal is a bit of a shock to the system.

But for me that pose is precisely the oposite to a shock. The roaring thing is so boring, and something a real animal would have seldom done. I would even say that, thinking on phylogenetic bracketing, it's not even a very probable type of vocalization a tyrannosaurus would have done.
Well, we will have to wait for the final product.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: