News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2022

Started by Halichoeres, January 19, 2022, 06:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flaffy

I've heard that Toob's paint quality tends to decrease drastically after the first production run, can anyone confirm this?

I've been meaning to pick up the new Primates and South American Toobs; but if the paint quality is poor since it's been a few years since release now, I might pass on them.

Quote from: Dusty Wren on June 03, 2022, 02:46:38 PMLove that little saiga. And I just realized that Safari doesn't have a full-sized saiga figure, do they? Is CollectA the only company that's made one?
Yup CollectA made the nice Saiga a couple years ago. Safari has not tackled the species yet as far as I know.

suspsy

I asked Safari on Facebook to make a big version of the bill Asian elephant.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

bmathison1972

Quote from: Gwangi on June 03, 2022, 02:43:25 PM
Quote from: Flaffy on June 03, 2022, 02:35:32 PMThe Panda and Tiger are obligatory, like Tyrannosaurus and Velociraptor in any dinosaur line, but still incredibly boring species choices imo.

The rest of the tube is very nice though. Would love to see the Saiga, Gharial and Asian Elephant be made into full sized figures.

Yeah, you really couldn't have an Asian TOOB without them. Personally, I want a full sized figures of the saiga, gharial, and Philippine eagle. Still waiting for a full sized figure of the black caiman from the South America TOOB too.

Yup. Safari isn't catering only to collectors of bizarre taxa, they are also selling (possibly primarily) toys for kids to get in a gift shop after visiting a zoo or museum. Kids like familiar animals, so an elephant, orangutan, tiger, and panda are necessary. No kid would see a saiga at a zoo and think, I need one of those :). (well, I would have, but was a weird kid and knew and would have wanted unusual taxa hahaha)

I think the TOOB is a nice blend of familiar and interesting species and I hope it does well!

Luckily I have standard-sized figures of all these species, so nothing for me, but the quality looks great.

Faelrin

Interesting set. I hope they make a larger version of the Philippine eagle, and the Saiga.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

ceratopsian

Quote from: Flaffy on June 03, 2022, 03:02:40 PMI've heard that Toob's paint quality tends to decrease drastically after the first production run, can anyone confirm this?
avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy - I bought the Feathered Dinosaurs toob late and the quality is awful - much worse than the original release.  The paintwork is unbelievably crude.  I keep meaning to take the creatures to the charity shop!  I don't often regret purchases but this one I do.

Shane

Quote from: bmathison1972 on June 03, 2022, 03:29:01 PMYup. Safari isn't catering only to collectors of bizarre taxa, they are also selling (possibly primarily) toys for kids to get in a gift shop after visiting a zoo or museum. Kids like familiar animals, so an elephant, orangutan, tiger, and panda are necessary. No kid would see a saiga at a zoo and think, I need one of those :). (well, I would have, but was a weird kid and knew and would have wanted unusual taxa hahaha)

I think the TOOB is a nice blend of familiar and interesting species and I hope it does well!

Luckily I have standard-sized figures of all these species, so nothing for me, but the quality looks great.

I'm glad people are seeming to respond well to the species choices.

You're correct in that Safari isn't 100% focused on obscure animals for these continent-themed TOOBs, but there was a conscious effort to have a mix of well-known animals and some that are less commonly seen.

The main focus is education - having TOOBs that represent the fauna of every continent is a good tool for educators to have to teach about the different animals found in different regions.

Tigers and pandas and Asian elephants are obvious choices, but if the goal is to learn about fauna of Asia they would be glaring omissions, since they're the most recognized species from the area.

Gwangi

Guys, B @bmathison1972 and S @Shane, I know why there are pandas and tigers in the TOOB, no explanation is necessary. I'm not complaining about it.  I feel a bit like you're insulting my intelligence here.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Gwangi on June 03, 2022, 08:28:10 PMGuys, B @bmathison1972 and S @Shane, I know why there are pandas and tigers in the TOOB, no explanation is necessary. I'm not complaining about it.  I feel a bit like you're insulting my intelligence here.

Not one bit :). Merely expanding on what you said :)

Pachyrhinosaurus

I know it isn't prehistoric-related, but I like the Toob sculpts and as others have said, I think that some of them would work nicely as full-size figures, especially the orangutan. I wouldn't mind a mainline-scale Saiga, either.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

SpartanSquat

Any news regarding the release of zuul or albertosaurus?

SidB

Dan of Dan's Dinosaurs told me "soon", earlier in the week. I'm hopeful that that is literal.

Shane

Quote from: Gwangi on June 03, 2022, 08:28:10 PMGuys, B @bmathison1972 and S @Shane, I know why there are pandas and tigers in the TOOB, no explanation is necessary. I'm not complaining about it.  I feel a bit like you're insulting my intelligence here.

My apologies gwangi, no insult was meant to your intelligence in any way.

I just wanted to expound on it a bit more for anyone who may be wondering why the specific line-up looks the way it does.

No offense was meant, and certainly no insult to your intelligence was implied at all. It's clear from your posts that you understood why those animals were included.

Typically when I respond to address something, I'm rarely responding to one person, but trying to address the forum in general. So again, I do apologize if it seemed like I was focusing on you; I was only trying to give a bit more insight into what you touched on.

Gwangi

Quote from: Shane on June 06, 2022, 01:39:43 PM

My apologies gwangi, no insult was meant to your intelligence in any way.

I just wanted to expound on it a bit more for anyone who may be wondering why the specific line-up looks the way it does.

No offense was meant, and certainly no insult to your intelligence was implied at all. It's clear from your posts that you understood why those animals were included.

Typically when I respond to address something, I'm rarely responding to one person, but trying to address the forum in general. So again, I do apologize if it seemed like I was focusing on you; I was only trying to give a bit more insight into what you touched on.

No worries S @Shane , I understand. I guess it was the "pandas and tigers" thing. Since I was the one to first mention them specifically I assumed that any comment addressing their inclusion was directed at me.

By the way, if Safari ever wants to do a Chesapeake Bay TOOB feel free to contact me, I have a list. I imagine it would be a hit in museums, gift shops, and tourist attractions in Maryland, Virginia, and Delaware.  ;D

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

I love the Saiga and Gharial in the new Toob! The former will be a nice addition to my Ice Age displays, and the gharial finally completes my collection of the major modern crocodilian clades. It'll be nice to have if I do another dinosaur family tree project at some volunteer event again in the future.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Do we know when the Asian Toob and the Zuul figure will be released, btw?
I've been holding off on buying the Patagotitan until I can purchase all the Safari products I want this year in a single order.

Shane

Quote from: Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews) on June 08, 2022, 12:29:39 AMDo we know when the Asian Toob and the Zuul figure will be released, btw?
I've been holding off on buying the Patagotitan until I can purchase all the Safari products I want this year in a single order.

I know it's a vague answer, but it's really hard to nail down any exact shipping or delivery times in the current logistics climate, where the demand for containers is super high and there are constant delays.

But I would anticipate within the next couple of months.

SenSx

Quote from: Shane on June 08, 2022, 07:32:11 PM
Quote from: Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews) on June 08, 2022, 12:29:39 AMDo we know when the Asian Toob and the Zuul figure will be released, btw?

I know it's a vague answer, but it's really hard to nail down any exact shipping or delivery times in the current logistics climate, where the demand for containers is super high and there are constant delays.

But I would anticipate within the next couple of months.

Yes I've been waiting for a statue that has been ready to be shipped since last year, but cannot be because of the lack of containers.
Very frustrating.

terrorchicken

Quote from: Flaffy on June 03, 2022, 03:02:40 PMI've heard that Toob's paint quality tends to decrease drastically after the first production run, can anyone confirm this?

I've been meaning to pick up the new Primates and South American Toobs; but if the paint quality is poor since it's been a few years since release now, I might pass on them.

Quote from: Dusty Wren on June 03, 2022, 02:46:38 PMLove that little saiga. And I just realized that Safari doesn't have a full-sized saiga figure, do they? Is CollectA the only company that's made one?
Yup CollectA made the nice Saiga a couple years ago. Safari has not tackled the species yet as far as I know.
I got a shipment from them last week. I got the South African and South American animals toobs. They still have what I think is their original paint apps, though I hate the way they painted the zebra and jaguar. Also finally got the feathered T-rex... what a pretty guy! I love the floofy neck. ;D

Id love to see more "regional" animal toobs as well. Id love to see an Everglades toob, although the river toob is very close they'd just have to replace the generic frog, snake and maybe a couple others with a manatee and Florida panther and maybe a rosate spoonbill and indigo snake.

Concavenator

Straight from Safari: last dino releases of 2022 scheduled to be unveiled during the last week of July.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Concavenator on June 15, 2022, 02:50:15 PMStraight from Safari: last dino releases of 2022 scheduled to be unveiled during the last week of July.
They specified in a reply to the tweet that we'd get two.

Spoiler
STILL A CHANCE LADS
[close]
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: