News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Paleo Confessions

Started by Newt, August 27, 2022, 02:37:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newt

This is the place to admit things that might hurt your credibility as a paleo-enthusiast. I'll start!

I've never watched Walking With Dinosaurs or any of its sequels.  :-[

BlueKrono

I think Andrewsarchus had hooves rather than paws.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Concavenator

I couldn't care less for the Jurassic Park/World franchise.

stargatedalek

I (significantly) prefer a sci-fi or outright fictional dinosaur design that tries to be interesting over a "mostly accurate" design with a few issues. If I'm going to go for accurate I want all or nothing.

ceratopsian

I really like overly cute baby dinosaurs, like PNSO's baby Sinoceratops.

Newt

Quote from: BlueKrono on August 27, 2022, 02:50:36 PMI think Andrewsarchus had hooves rather than paws.
What an odd coincidence, I've been reading about mesonychians all morning.

Sim

I think Dinosaur Revolution is rubbish.

I think Planet Dinosaur was great.

I think Jurassic Park 3 is the second-best film in the franchise, after Jurassic Park.

I think the Jurassic World films are trash and like a young child's bad fanfiction.

I think the Mattel Jurassic World toys aren't good.  Feathers, spines and webbing are applied without any sense and the tiny tails are just as bad as oversized feet or CollectA's wide hips or messed up feet.

Halichoeres

Quote from: ceratopsian on August 27, 2022, 03:15:24 PMI really like overly cute baby dinosaurs, like PNSO's baby Sinoceratops.
Hee hee, I like this one. Seems most in the spirit of the question of all the answers so far.

For my part, I've been to Los Angeles twice and have not yet visited La Brea.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Stegotyranno420

I only been to one museum in my lifetime, maybe 2, I'm not sure

Lynx

I dislike Prehistoric Planet for its vast amount of rather boring and short scenes. It was enjoyable, but unless they are releasing another season, I am disappointed by the lack of runtime of most creatures.
An oversized house cat.

Cretaceous Crab

Forgive me, Velocipastor, for I have sinned.

Despite all the scientific inaccuracies and improbabilities, I still like to watch awesomebro-style prehistoric battles. In fact, I'll probably include some in my book.

P.S. I also think Planet Dinosaur is great for its time.

Bread

I prefer JP (not JW) designs over realistic/accurate. Very classic and nostalgic for me, plus JP and JPTLW were always apparent in my life.

paintingdinos

Similar to what stargatedalek said, but for figures I'll gladly take one with lots of artistic liberties that's interesting to look at vs. one that is strictly accurate but otherwise mundane.

Related, but this is why Spinosaurus is my favorite dinosaur to get models of. I enjoy the various interpretations, implausible though they may be O:-)

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Cretaceous Crab on August 27, 2022, 05:49:34 PMForgive me, Velocipastor, for I have sinned.

Despite all the scientific inaccuracies and improbabilities, I still like to watch awesomebro-style prehistoric battles. In fact, I'll probably include some in my book.

P.S. I also think Planet Dinosaur is great for its time.
Oh yeah, I realized another sin I have.
I literally PRODUCE those kinds of battles, it is sort of my job haha

Lynx

I prefer the awesomebro-style battles FAR more than realistic ones, I dunno, I find them more fun to watch despite being inaccurate like others have stated.
An oversized house cat.

Sim

I find a lot of prehistoric animals uninteresting.  Notable ones are:

1. Invertebrates in general.

2. Synapsids in general.

3. Amphibians.

4. Fish excluding Edestus, Xenacanthus and Orthacanthus.  I find Dunkleosteus particularly boring.

5. Heterodontosaurids.  They look almost like mammals and I find the general mammal look very unappealing.

6. Ornithopods in general.

7. Sauropods in general.

8. Oviraptorosaurs.

9. Anchiornithids.

10. Spinosaurus.

11. Tyrannosaurus.

12. Concavenator, actually all carcharodontosaurids except for Acrocanthosaurus.

13. Halszkaraptor.

14. Nasutoceratops.

Sorry to whoever likes any of these! :-[

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Lynx on August 27, 2022, 07:34:02 PMI prefer the awesomebro-style battles FAR more than realistic ones, I dunno, I find them more fun to watch despite being inaccurate like others have stated.
I think it's because it's hard to make a realistic fight, since they are usually mega theropods in the videos and we often have trouble imagining their behavior. The larger the theropod, the more clunky and confusing it is for me to animate. Smaller theropods are more sleek and fast, and often have rapid movement, thus better yet more realistic fights. I'm sure a real life dinosaur fight will be exciting.

Sim

I forgot to include a few things in my previous post.  First, there is another carcharodontosaurid that I don't find uninteresting, it's Neovenator.  Second, I find the following uninteresting too:

1. Short-necked pliosauroids.

2. Short-necked plesiosauroids.

3. Mosasaurs in general.

4. Turtles.

5. Short-tailed pterosaurs in general.

6. Dimorphodon.

Sorry to anyone who likes any of these!

Bowhead Whale

Quote from: Sim on August 27, 2022, 07:58:34 PMI find a lot of prehistoric animals uninteresting.  Notable ones are:

1. Invertebrates in general.

2. Synapsids in general.

3. Amphibians.

4. Fish excluding Edestus, Xenacanthus and Orthacanthus.  I find Dunkleosteus particularly boring.

5. Heterodontosaurids.  They look almost like mammals and I find the general mammal look very unappealing.

6. Ornithopods in general.

7. Sauropods in general.

8. Oviraptorosaurs.

9. Anchiornithids.

10. Spinosaurus.

11. Tyrannosaurus.

12. Concavenator, actually all carcharodontosaurids except for Acrocanthosaurus.

13. Halszkaraptor.

14. Nasutoceratops.

Sorry to whoever likes any of these! :-[

!!!!???? WHAT PREHISTORIC ANIMAL DO YOU LIKE, THEN!!!???? You mentionned almost everything that existed back then here!!???? :o

OK, here is my confession:

I COLLECT IMPERIAL OLD DINOSAURS OF THE 1960's, the 1970's, and 1980's! Plus the SOMA GLOW-IN-THE-DARK 1987 DINOSAURS! In other words, my collection contains more unaccurate old dinosaur toys than accurate, modern dinosaur toys. That is a sin, I think, for a palaeontology enthusiast.

Concavenator

I prefer calm/neutral/boring/mundane poses over active/dramatic poses when it comes to depictions of prehistoric animals.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: