News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

TooOldForDinosaurs' Repaints

Started by TooOldForDinosaurs, July 18, 2022, 04:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TooOldForDinosaurs

Quote from: SidB on September 30, 2022, 12:48:23 AMGood, avatar_TooOldForDinosaurs @TooOldForDinosaurs , it does the job without distracting the attention from the Camarasaurus.
Thanks!

avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian I totally agree, even though I already have space issues as it is... :))

TooOldForDinosaurs

SidB

TooOldForDinosaurs

I'm really using my few free days I currently have to get into this creative hobby more. And I love it. Started my first all-custom figure today from scratch. I'm just using the tools and stuff I currently (still) have at home. It's gonna be a Trike - because why not. I'll keep you posted by uploading some pictures of my process without much text. If you're interested in my doings feel free to ask.

This afternoon I did the wire-skeleton of the body, filled in the rough body size with paperclay and also did the wiring for the head. Tomorrow morning I plan to sculpt the head (let's see how that goes...). The body has to air dry for a few days before I can start sculpting over the paperclay the limbs and detail with FIMO. Fingers crossed everything kind of works - so far I'm actually surprised how well everything went.

Pliosaurking

That looks very interesting, Triceratops is my favourite dinosaur so I always look forward to seeing a new one! Also hopefully everything goes smoothly!

Bokisaurus

Yay, good luck with your new sculpting adventures, looking forward to how it turns out.
I had a great time and learned so much when I gave sculpting a try a few years ago😃

TooOldForDinosaurs

Thank you both avatar_Pliosaurking @Pliosaurking B @Bokisaurus for the good wishes.  :)

Quote from: Bokisaurus on October 02, 2022, 01:46:21 AMI had a great time and learned so much when I gave sculpting a try a few years ago😃
I believe it! Theres so much involved.  :) I've stumbled over your wonderful repaint thread before. Did you also document your sculpting somewhere?

TooOldForDinosaurs

Update post - head sculpt process (I used clipped off pin heads as eyes):

Final results:

I worked 5 hours on this little piece  :-X Overall I am very satisfied with what I ended up with as it was the first time doing anything like this, but the big thing that bothers me is the frill... I realized way too late that I was missing the curve around its neck in my wiring and sculpt and now it turned out very flat kind of retro looking. Oh well.  :)

TooOldForDinosaurs

Update post - body sculpt done (8 hours of work):

Together with the head:

Proud of my work so far - it's turning out way better than I originally hoped for. Next up will be the limbs. I expect thoese to be pretty tricky with all the musculature and for the pose to look dynamic in the end...
Not sure about the head pose yet. Feel free to leave suggestions.

TooOldForDinosaurs

Update post - first leg freshly baked:

Dusty Wren

This is looking great so far! Can't believe how much you've gotten done already. What did you use to texture the body? The scales look amazing.
Check out my customs thread!

TooOldForDinosaurs

Update post - second leg done and baked:

Quote from: Dusty Wren on October 04, 2022, 02:04:03 PMThis is looking great so far! Can't believe how much you've gotten done already. What did you use to texture the body? The scales look amazing.
Thank you! I appreciate the feedback :) I use different tools. A common knitting needle, sometimes a wooden barbecue stick but mostly I use the 2 sculpting tools with the different size ballpoints. Most of the scaling I do with the smallest one. Picked this set up at a local hobby shop for about 6$.

TooOldForDinosaurs

Aaaand I just realized I'm missing a toe on the front foot... great  :-X  :'(  I'm gonna have to fix that  ;D

TooOldForDinosaurs

Quick fix luckily worked out  O:-) :

TooOldForDinosaurs

Update post - third leg finished.
My trike definitely does never skip leg day  ;D

TooOldForDinosaurs

Update post - Body complete!!!

Now I'm so close to finishing my first ever sculpted dinosaur figure.  ^-^

TooOldForDinosaurs

Parts assembled... i'm so hyped. I think I'ts gonna be a bit of a late evening because I'm finishing this thing today for sure!

ceratopsian

That is impressive for a first figure.

TooOldForDinosaurs

It's done and I can happily go to sleep  :)

Quote from: ceratopsian on October 04, 2022, 10:59:28 PMThat is impressive for a first figure.
avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian Thank you very much! I am very pleased with the result. Obviously I have worked with FIMO before (see spoiler) but I've never used wire or aluminium foil before to make a framework or have attempted anything of this size where I had to add parts and bake multiple times. I used Kayakasaurus' Video of him sculpting the Styracosaurus as reference and to copy the work steps.

Spoiler
[close]

Edit: I'm not sure if I should paint the figure or not. I'm afraid I might lose a lot of detail through the paint... Let me know what you guys think.

Lynx

Maybe try repainting a cheap trike model, and see if the detail is as clear as you'd like it to?
An oversized house cat.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: