You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan 16, 2023)

Started by Loon, January 26, 2020, 07:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loon

Thank you avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres. I'd never heard the term "scatalogical" before, but for some reason, I'm glad it exists. Thank you BTW for your words about the comic. I always feel I have to add some kind qualifier, since toy photos are always presented so seriously these days.

avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi yeah, I was thinking the same thing about the scale of the Dilophosaurus. I was never much into Amber Collection, but of course got Nedry and the Dilophosaurus. I had to sell them off at some point, which I regret now in Dennis' case. Though, I did get some fun pictures out of them.

Thanks avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin. I'm sure my JP fan card will be pulled for this, but what exactly is the inaccuracy with the Dilophosaurus' eyes?

Faelrin

Slit pupils instead of round ones (which again the AC did right so it is strange that didn't carry over onto the HC version). It's very minor I know, but something that should have been done right for a collector's figure striving to be film accurate.

Granted not the first slip up with the "JP" Gallimimus sporting the coloration (if not sculpt because of the teeth), of the 2015 Jurassic World viral website design, and "TLW' Parasaurolophus has the coloration of the Jurassic World movie one (nevermind the incorrect number of digits, and wide head). And obviously the JP raptor suffers from being a shrunk down AC raptor with the JW Blue head sculpt. Honestly they would be better if they paid more attention to the actual source material with those. 

At least the Baryonyx, Ceratosaurus, next year's Concavenator, Dilophosaurus (except eyes and budget cuts on the rest of the paint work), next year's Pachycephalosaurus (although I think the blue green markings should be more blue), Triceratops, Tyrannosaurus, and next year's male JPIII raptor have like no complaints from me. Well okay I dislike the lack of articulated jaw on the Triceratops, and huge feet on the T. rex and raptor sculpts, but otherwise the rest is pretty straightforward representations of the source material in sculpt and coloration, and that's really what I'm getting at here.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Gwangi

The smirk on Nedry's face after cracking the jaw of that Velociraptor is priceless. Yeah, I never got into the AC either, although I did want that Dilophosaurus (it's a franchise favorite).

Loon

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin I appreciate the rundown. I think you have to participate in a lot of mental gymnastics to collect Mattel stuff. I have to do that with Hasbro and Transformers, especially since they've taken up a similar practice of what I can only guess is referencing the first results in Google Images. I've resigned to these things being good enough, but of course, I'd like better. I actually didn't notice the inaccuracies on the Parasaurolophus, but knew that something was off. Now that you mention the colors, I see it clearly. But, they only just got the Tyrannosaurus' colors right, so I'm not holding my breath for more accurate repaints any time soon, as much as I'd like those.

avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi that Nedry sculpt has a lot of character despite not looking much like Wayne Knight. If you can ever locate that Dilophosaurus for a non-crazy price, I'd recommend it. I got one without the accessories in a lot a while back and still found it pretty great.

EmperorDinobot

"Hello Dennis! Hello Dennis! Hello Dennis!"

Cretaceous Crab

Kapitaenosavrvs

Wow. Your Collection is so impressive. All these Customs by avatar_paintingdinos @paintingdinos are absolutely wonderful. Awesome work, both of you. That CollectA Edmonto looks great. Just got way more interesting.

Faelrin

For me it is simply because there are no alternatives for Jurassic Park/World action figures (outside the older Kenner and Hasbro figures), well in my general preferred price range, and with this many film canon species available. If I was a customizer there would be ways to fix the gripes. I know both marcomakes and rodsrandomwork on instagram are doing alternate heads and feet for the Parasaurolophus, T. rex, and Velociraptor though.

Something I did forget to mention earlier is that none of the options for the JP raptors really get the markings of the animatronic and maquette quite right though. I think the closest would be that crouching raptor in the SDCC set with Ray, which is also the most disliked sculpt for the raptors. Honestly of all the options for the JP raptors now, I prefer the Legacy ones, especially the most recent one with the added neck articulation. They have the right head sculpt, and the muted colors are pretty faithful to how they appeared in the film, despite their markings being pretty simplified (at least they remembered the stripes on the tail at least).

The 2018 Legacy and Battle Damage Gallimimus also had the original SWS coloration as well, so at least there's options out there for the original accurate coloration (which was also used in JW), which is also not counting the 2021 Attack Pack based on the maquette and concept art that went unused in the final film (which the Kenner figure's coloration was derived from). Just not sure how those compare to the HC, since I have those in storage now. Obviously they lack the added articulation of the HC one. Might be a little smaller too? I'll have to check some reviews to see if anyone compares these.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Halichoeres

LOL I love the shot of Nedry decking the raptor with an uppercut.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Crackington

Very good pics avatar_Loon @Loon

I couldn't help thinking of an alternative caption:

Dilophosaurus (with barely concealed contempt) - "Hello, Numan"

Nedry/Numan (for it is also he) -
"Hi Gerry - take that!"

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Nice little comic, and congrats on your recent acquisitions
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Halichoeres

Quote from: Crackington on October 17, 2022, 08:41:30 PMDilophosaurus (with barely concealed contempt) - "Hello, Numan"

Nedry/Numan (for it is also he) -
"Hi Gerry - take that!"

"All right! But hear me and hear me well. The day will come - oh, yes, mark my words, Seinfeld: your day of reckoning will come, when an evil wind will blow through your little play world and wipe that smug smile off your face! And I will be there, in all my glory, watching, watching as it all comes crumbling down!"
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Loon

I hate to admit this, but despite watching quite a bit of Seinfeld through reruns, I've been largely unexposed to Newman, outside of cultural osmosis.

Crackington

I wonder if any Jurassic Park fans ever watched Seinfeld out of curiousity to see Wayne Knight in something else. I hope so.

I watched Seinfeld a bit years ago when it was shown on BBC over here, but then watched the whole series with my elder daughter during the various lockdowns. It's still very funny.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Loon on October 19, 2022, 03:24:12 AMI hate to admit this, but despite watching quite a bit of Seinfeld through reruns, I've been largely unexposed to Newman, outside of cultural osmosis.

Well, I think Crackington and I are very old!

Loon

November has been busy. With so much to think about, I've been dying for some kind of distraction and, thankfully, a few arrived last week.

Safari Ltd. Sinornithosaurus
I was working on a stop motion project last week, so my mom brought home some figures I had donated to her classroom for me to use. Among them were the Safari Feathers Dinosaurs TOOB, which I forgot I had given her. This Sinornithosaurus was one of the few without breakages or chew marks, so I decided to "save" it.

I'm happy to have this one back on my shelves. Of course, I love Yixian species, but it's also one of the earliest known feathered dinosaurs. I recently reacquired the Caudipteryx and wanted this guy to go along with it, but couldn't justify buying the TOOB or paying ebay prices just for one figure. So, this turned out pretty nicely for me.

I had the Safari Deinonychus out and thought it made a great show of how far feathered figures have come, even from the same sculptor. Look at how much more full the feathering is on the later figure. Still, the old one isn't obsolete and I'm happy to have it.

Safari Ltd. Cryolophosaurus
Finally... 2022 has been a good year for finally getting updated figures of species I've been longing for. Cryolophosaurus has been a constant on my wishlist for a few years now and I'm happy to say that I've finally got one that satisfies me, mostly.

Now, to be fair, some of the past attempts have been pretty good. I think Safari and Doug Watson have hit the nail on the head here. The figure doesn't feel generic, which I think the other models suffer from after the head. That long, slender neck and body that I got to see in person at the Antarctic Dinosaurs exhibit is rendered so well.

I can't say this figure is perfect, because it suffers from a couple of issues that have been bothering me about some recent Safari releases. A lot of the small theropods are posed a little too similarly and it's not very interesting to look at honestly. Like, what are they doing? This bland stance is becoming the Safari equivalent of Papo's "jumping back in horror pose."

The other issue is the color scheme. I was prepared for this to be another figure with a variation of that brown paint that has been used by Safari so much over the past couple of years, but I was surprised to find that it's not really. It does strike me as a little closer to that brown than I'd like, but it's more orange in hue. I appreciate them mixing it up.

Next to the Safari Deinonychus.

I finally got to see the accompanying movie at the San Diego Natural History Museum a couple weeks back and it made me want to get these two together.

PNSO Therizinosaurus
Another long-awaited update. I get that Therizinosaurus is fragmentary, but as a basic Therizinosaur, I really love this. PNSO can be a hard sell for me at times because of their prices, but this and the Deinocheirus had me jumping to order them as soon as the were listed. Unfortunately, despite ordering the Deinocheirus a little over a week earlier, I have yet to receive it.

I've seen a lot of talk about how people prefer the note dynamically posed Therizinosaurus figures we've received over the years, like Papo's. But, I gotta say, I love this more subtle pose. It's imposing, but not in an over the top, whacking a deer way.

The droopy pose and the drab colors work well, giving off that ground sloth feel Therizinosaurus might have had. Seriously, the feathers are just so characterful; it makes me wish PNSO would make feathered species more often. It'd be really nice to be able to compare these details to the Deinocheirus, but, you know...

Those big claws needed to manipulate some sort of plant material.

I love how all these Therizinosaurs bring something different to the table, and really would love to see a proper Falcarius.

"Battle of the Sharp Chickens."

Safari Ltd. Green Anaconda
This one...was a surprise. I didn't know if I liked it at first because it was so big. This is my fault, I know; I should have remembered that this wasn't from the standard Wild Safari line and that these were larger figures.

I mean, God, look at this thing; it's massive. But, you know, I actually really like that. I forgot that these animals can reach up to 30 feet long, which makes this seem a lot less silly along side my other extant figures.

I'm including this in my post because I think this might interest prehistoric collectors as a substitute for a Titanoboa. Every figure of the huge boa made has basically just been a beefy anaconda, so why not save the money and go for this? Here's a pretty bad picture I took when I first got it to show off the size better:

JimoAi

Can't wait for my theri. I skipped the deino for now due to space constraints but hopefully some space will be available soon. Also I find that the theri is a little small compared to the deinocheirus

bmathison1972

I asked on STS but thought I'd ask here since there's probably more traffic here...

But how did you get the Safari Cryo? I don't think I ever saw it on their site (unless it sold out fast) and Happy Hen doesn't have it.

My anaconda is 'out for delivery' today LOL; and my PNSO Therizy is en route!

Loon

avatar_JimoAi @JimoAi I'll have to see how they size up when I get mine in hand. But I don't feel like it's terribly out of place. It scales well with my Tarbosaurus, so that suits me alright.

B @bmathison1972 Nothing fancy, I just signed up to get the in-stock notification and when it showed up in my email I grabbed it. It was up at least for a couple of hours on the 28th of October (when I bought it), because I hemmed and hawed about getting it for a bit. It makes me wonder if the Okapi was ever in stock, since it was showing up as "coming soon" even when all the new stuff released.

bmathison1972

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: