News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New for 2022

Started by Renecito, January 05, 2022, 12:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dromaenychus

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on October 28, 2022, 01:36:24 AMSo I could just order a different dinosaur every day and use the coupon? Where can I find this coupon?
It doesn't have to be different days, just separate orders for each one. If the coupon is available it shows up underneath the price. It is a checkbox that you need to click on to make it active. After that just add the figure to your cart and checkout. The discount will appear during checkout.

After you complete one order, look up another figure you may want and repeat the process for each one separately.

Dan

Today only, checkout code "dtfmember" activates $6.00 off the new PNSO Therizinosaurus at DansDinosaurs.com. Thanks for choosing to support this small business!

SenSx

Quote from: 5aurophaganax on October 27, 2022, 08:45:05 PM
Quote from: SenSx on October 27, 2022, 08:34:59 PMAre we sure it's the last PNSO figure of the year ?
I mean there are still two full months left...

I was wondering about that as well... it sounds weird, so the factory "rushed its release"... well, we're still in October. And the Deinocheirus was supposedly the last. This Theri pulled up at what seems their usual rate now (1 figure/month). So if another 1 or 2 more figures were released I wouldn't be surprised.

I hope so too since start of next year won't be too crazy with the Chinese new year coming fast and lasting a long time.

Since we are on heavily feathered theropods, I hope we get a Gigantoraptor, even if it is not featured in Prehistoric Planet or JW3.
And finally a worthy Suchomimus, although that sounds unlikely with the Sinopliosaurus failure (that was probably that rumored Suchomimus).

Faelrin

They did a mini of it and a bronze statue of it if I recall? A new one in the Prehistoric models range with more accurate wings (primary feathers included, considering Caudipteryx was preserved them at least) would be appreciated. Any other oviraptorosaur would be appreciated as well since they rarely get made (but at least Safari's, and maybe even Schleich's, were good). Corythoraptor is a top pick, even more so after its appearance in Prehistoric Planet, but I wanted it before on account of its completeness, and described in recent years.

Edit: Here's a list of the mini figures with no larger counterparts (though not all of these I feel need them):

-Abelisaurus
-Alioramus
-Ampelosaurus
-Anchiornis
-Archaeopteryx
-Baryonyx*
-Chasmosaurus*
-Concavenator*
-Confuciusornis
-Cryolophosaurus
-Ectenosaurus
-Einiosaurus
-Gylphoderma
-Guidraco
-Huayangosaurus
-Indosuchus
-Keichousaurus
-Kentrosaurus*
-Kosmoceratops*
-Liaoceratops
-Majungasaurus*
-Mei
-Nemicolopterus
-Nyctosaurus
-Odontochelys
-Ouranosaurus*
-Proceratosaurus
-Sinosauropteryx
-Tianyulong
-Wuerhosaurus*
-Xenoceratops*
-Yi*

Edit 2: I've gone back and added a star for a few that I'd like bigger versions of.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

ceratopsian

Indeed they did.  (And I have the bronze Gigantoraptor in my bedroom!  It's not very big - the bronze that is.)

Personally I would love to see a good large-size Anchiornis....

Quote from: Faelrin on October 28, 2022, 01:58:56 PMThey did a mini of it and a bronze statue of it if I recall? A new one in the Prehistoric models range with more accurate wings (primary feathers included, considering Caudipteryx was preserved them at least) would be appreciated. Any other oviraptorosaur would be appreciated as well since they rarely get made (but at least Safari's, and maybe even Schleich's, were good). Corythoraptor is a top pick, even more so after its appearance in Prehistoric Planet, but I wanted it before on account of its completeness, and described in recent years.

Halichoeres

Yeah, Everything Dinosaur is good at a lot of things--customer service, logistics, communication, even digesting paleo news for enthusiasts--but they're not great at estimating scale.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

ceratopsian

An issue made even more problematic by the fact that they are estimating scale from a figure for straight-line length, based on the data from the company.

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 28, 2022, 05:08:11 PMYeah, Everything Dinosaur is good at a lot of things--customer service, logistics, communication, even digesting paleo news for enthusiasts--but they're not great at estimating scale.

TaranUlas

Quote(>__<)

Everything Dinosaur, maybe?

Played catch-up today ... Torosaurus, Sinraptor, Lingwulong, "Sinopliosaurus", Deinocheirus and Therizinosaurus, along with a couple of those black platform stands. (Amazon wouldn't let me order more than one set of stands, for some reason . . . ) Couple of those were just "can't miss" for me.

Also, re: Amazon - yes, there's a 17% coupon available on non-museum-line figures, but only one coupon per order - and it defaults to the least expensive figure in the order. In order to utilize the discount on more than one figure, even on a PC, I had to order each one separately. Annoying, but between shipping and U.S. State taxes . . . I'll take what I can get.

~B.

Hey, quick question about the platforms. Do they come with stands or do you have to use the ones with the figures? I'm mainly asking for the sake of my Deinocheirus and Siamosaurus (I refuse to call it Sinopliosaurus.) The Deinocheirus in particular is beautiful... but oof, does it not stand well.

Maritimer

Quote from: TaranUlas on October 28, 2022, 06:12:56 PMHey, quick question about the platforms. Do they come with stands or do you have to use the ones with the figures? I'm mainly asking for the sake of my Deinocheirus and Siamosaurus (I refuse to call it Sinopliosaurus.) The Deinocheirus in particular is beautiful... but oof, does it not stand well.

I can let you know with greater certainty when they arrive, but from what I've seen they come with a couple of sprues of the clear prop-stands in various sizes. I'm planning to use mine for Dunkleosteus and Tylosaurus, each of which will require two of the clear prop-stands.

And yeah ... that spinosaur will probably be viewed as a stand-in for Suchomimus 'round here.

Andre

Does anyone know if the Therizinosaurus is available at Aliexpress already? It always takes days for it to appear to me, unless I go straight to a link someone shares here.. don't ask me why :(

Duna

There is a very nice PNSO promo in some figures starting in 3 days (november 1st) in Aliexpress. You can get the new Deinocheirus for only 50€, acrocanthosaurus for 43€, Museum line Lambeosaurus and Torosaurus for only 60€!

Sorry, I meant Tsintaosaurus, not lambeosaurus.

Remko

Quote from: Duna on October 29, 2022, 10:43:46 AMThere is a very nice PNSO promo in some figures starting in 3 days (november 1st) in Aliexpress. You can get the new Deinocheirus for only 50€, acrocanthosaurus for 43€, Museum line Lambeosaurus and Torosaurus for only 60€!

Dammit... Just ordered the Deinocheirus, Zuchengtyrannus and Olorotitan last week. Should have waited a few more days. Oh wel. Perhaps I'll see if the Tsingtaosaurus will be on sale as well.

Joel1905

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on October 27, 2022, 02:01:32 AMNot a fan of it.
Still respectful regarding the sculpting and manufacturing

May I ask why you're not a fan of it? Any particular reasons?

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Joel1905 on October 29, 2022, 09:22:17 PM
Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on October 27, 2022, 02:01:32 AMNot a fan of it.
Still respectful regarding the sculpting and manufacturing

May I ask why you're not a fan of it? Any particular reasons?
I think I mentioned this in the controversial opinions thread, but I will say here as well.
The proportions just seem uncanny to me. Yes, I am aware of the scarce evidence of therizinosaurus material, and the fact it's far larger than most relatives, but I'm saying the proportions displayed in the model just alien to my eyes. It looks more like a large tinamou mixed with a pigeon and ground sloth. Once again, the sculpture is beautiful and I'm sure plenty of science was poured into this, but personally I am not delighted by the figure. If other folks love it, that's great, more funds for PNSO

Fembrogon

One thing I noticed about the design is that the neck appears shorter (and the head maybe larger) than I'm used to seeing in reconstructions; but I also noticed that in the design from Prehistoric Planet, so I'm assuming that's just how understanding has progressed.

Concavenator

Quote from: SenSx on October 28, 2022, 09:10:56 AMAnd finally a worthy Suchomimus, although that sounds unlikely with the Sinopliosaurus failure (that was probably that rumored Suchomimus).

It's indeed likely that the rumoured Suchomimus was that figure, and what a disappointment (of a situation, the figure is beautiful as usual). Especially because those rumours had always been right (until then) and PNSO also showed some Suchomimus art, so I was convinced one was coming indeed. Even more upsetting because personally it's one of my favorite prehistoric animals and there aren't really good versions of it available...

From a taxonomic perspective, using it as a stand-in for Suchomimus is an atrocity, and not simply because you'd be representing a plesiosaur as a spinosaurid (if that wasn't enough) but even considering it Siamosaurus suteethorni, it would be a situation where you would be referring to a tooth taxon as Suchomimus tenerensis, which is quite ironic because that very species is the most complete member of the spinosaurid family.

Faelrin

avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno420 While that's what's driving you from it, I think it is those exact reasons I find it so appealing (other then being from the Nemegt formation of course)? Though it is still a shame it is so fragmentary, and the bulk of its proportions is extrapolated from its relatives (like the skull), which may or may not be the best matches to what the real thing may have been like (assuming it is ever found and looked at in a scientific manner). That said, speaking about ground sloths however, therizinosaurs were certainly there first. It is interesting how ground sloths and chalicotheres (if not anything else extant), evolved in a similar way to them.

Edit: Come to think of it, Therizinosaurus may as well be like the modern Deinocheirus, another unsolved mystery with giant claws (which um, is another reason I find it so appealing).

Concavenator

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin and is in the fact that it's a mystery similar to Deinocheirus where the risk of it turning outdated lies, as happened with Deinocheirus before (and Spinosaurus as well, to give another example). And this is coming from a guy that happily collected figures of fragmentary species, but I now understand the importance of a prehistoric animal having good fossil remains. Not just because it allows for a more accurate restoration, but also the fact of a species having good fossil remains, by itself, is valuable. It's not that easy to find dinosaurs with good fossil remains. Not to mention cases like Therizinosaurus overshadow the relatives its appearance is based on. Same thing that happens with Oviraptor, it's usually based on Citipati but there surely is more people interested in buying an Oviraptor figure than a Citipati figure, when the former is indirectly a representation of the latter.

This also reminds me of this meme:

Faelrin

S @Saurophaganax Honestly it's kind of the risk with collecting most figures of prehistoric animals (aside from appreciating them as works of art as well). There's so much we still are learning about where science could march on in the future, and make some element obsolete (that doesn't mean throw the whole figure out though per se). We've seen this over the years with Spinosaurus (as you said), but others like Edmontosaurus, Carnotaurus, etc in recent years, many which got figures before a new discovery, or a newer understanding of previous evidence has changed how we see these great creatures.

Edit: Even then most of our finds revolves around a few individuals, versus a good number of the species to observe from. There are however some exceptions to that such as some ceratopsian bonebeds, Kentrosaurus, etc.

Maritimer

Quote from: Maritimer on October 28, 2022, 07:33:55 PM
Quote from: TaranUlas on October 28, 2022, 06:12:56 PMHey, quick question about the platforms. Do they come with stands or do you have to use the ones with the figures? I'm mainly asking for the sake of my Deinocheirus and Siamosaurus (I refuse to call it Sinopliosaurus.) The Deinocheirus in particular is beautiful... but oof, does it not stand well.

I can let you know with greater certainty when they arrive, but from what I've seen they come with a couple of sprues of the clear prop-stands in various sizes. I'm planning to use mine for Dunkleosteus and Tylosaurus, each of which will require two of the clear prop-stands.

Can now confirm; each of the two platform stands arrived with two sprues of clear prop-stands, gobs of different heights, widths and symmetries. The extreme flexion of the Dunkleosteus still makes it a challenge to properly seat on those prop-stands; the Tylosaurus was better behaved. Using one shorter and one taller prop-stand makes for interesting posing options.

Took photos ... gotta find a way to post them here. (I know I had an account for that sort of thing - forgot where I put it!!)

~B.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: