News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Kaiyodo - New for 2022

Started by Halichoeres, February 06, 2022, 05:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dinofelid

Quote from: Bread on September 03, 2022, 02:20:43 AM
Quote from: stargatedalek on September 02, 2022, 10:22:16 PMWe don't really have a solid grasp on Dakotaraptor's size anyway, we thought we did, but then part of it ended up being a turtle...
I've heard about this. But wasn't it still an absolute massive raptor?

This article seems to indicate it was just the supposed wishbone that turned out to be part of a turtle. Wikipedia has a skeletal reconstruction here showing which bones have been found, assuming that's accurate they do have most of the leg, the claw, and much of the arm, I'd guess the original size estimate would have been based largely on those with the wishbone not being essential.

Halichoeres

Quote from: JimoAi on September 03, 2022, 01:16:02 AMI was wondering if deinonychus works?

The Kaiyodo Dinotales Deinonychus from 20 years ago was about 1:30 as I recall; I would guess this is similar in size.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

stargatedalek

Quote from: dinofelid on September 03, 2022, 04:38:10 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on September 02, 2022, 10:22:16 PMWe don't really have a solid grasp on Dakotaraptor's size anyway, we thought we did, but then part of it ended up being a turtle...

This article seems to indicate it was just the supposed wishbone that turned out to be part of a turtle. Wikipedia has a skeletal reconstruction here showing which bones have been found, assuming that's accurate they do have most of the leg, the claw, and much of the arm, I'd guess the original size estimate would have been based largely on those with the wishbone not being essential.
The wishbone was what gave us an idea of its bulk. Without that having the limbs doesn't really show us much since those vary a lot in dromaeosaurs.

JimoAi

Comparison of the dakotaraptor and kaiyodo's deinonychus

Halichoeres

I'd forgotten about that more recent Deinonychus with the inexplicably absent wings.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Thialfi

Impressive large sized models of these 2022 Kaiyodo figures. Probably won't ever be released, but pretty cool to see.

dinofelid

Quote from: stargatedalek on September 03, 2022, 10:47:11 PM
Quote from: dinofelid on September 03, 2022, 04:38:10 PM

The wishbone was what gave us an idea of its bulk. Without that having the limbs doesn't really show us much since those vary a lot in dromaeosaurs.

Ah, so the size of a dromaeosaur wishbone is significantly better correlated to its body size than the limbs? Still I'd think they could estimate a plausible range of sizes based on the limbs, by comparing with the proportionally shortest and longest limbed dromaeosaurs that are known. (Also, I wonder if it's reasonable to think the largest dromaeosaurs would have been more on the stocky side proportion-wise?) A possible further complication I came across here is that there was some unpublished speculation that the bones might actually have been from an oviraptorosaur called Anzu wylei from the same area/time, but the post here makes some arguments that this is unlikely.

Faelrin

Seems like these Kaiyodo figures will be re-released later in the year (December), through company F-Toys Confect, and will come alongside some chewing gum. Price will be 440 yen for single item, or 4,400 yen for a box which includes 10.

https://hobby.dengeki.com/news/1601842/

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Halichoeres

avatar_Thialfi @Thialfi wow those are gorgeous!

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin Thanks, I think that's the second time F-Toys has re-released this specific Capsule Q set.

brettnj

A paste from today's mail to my customer list...

And so here's a tough call... Spend the money for the blind set or go for what will surely be high prices for any wanted figures at resale... Taking pre-orders now. Releases 11/1.
I'm buying one--I can already feel the regret and frustration and self recrimination if I don't...
Kaiyodo Advent calendar.
https://kaiyodo.co.jp/items/others/kd076/
Here's a translation...
Excited every day until Christmas!

Kaiyodo's special advent calendar, reservations start from November 1st!

The advent calendar began in Europe as a custom to count the days in anticipation of the birth of Christ. Today, it is a seasonal item that opens every day for 24 days from December 1st to Christmas, with sweets and toys inside the window, and it has become a staple for Christmas.

This time, Kaiyodo will also introduce a variety of minifigures, called "Advent Calendar 2022"!

From real animals and dinosaurs to imaginary monsters and characters familiar to art works, Kaiyodo has a policy of "anything that exists in this world can be made into a model". Recorded. In addition to general sales items, rare hidden inventory is also added, making it a great value for a total of 15,000 yen.

"Advent Calendar 2022", where the excitement of figures continues for 24 days, what will come out today. It is also recommended as a gift that can be enjoyed all year round, not just for Christmas.

ï¼ KAIYODO

* The images shown are samples during development and may differ slightly from the actual product. Please note.

Curious how people will handle this one... Think trading when making a decision.

Halichoeres

Oh man, what a crapshoot. It sounds like contents might not even be identical from box to box, or am I misreading that?

brettnj

That's something I asked my source to try to learn but so far he hasn't found anything. I'll update if he does.

But my guess is they are all the same. I think that's how those calendars work. Plus if not, the company has to create more sculpts than needed which seems unlikely.

Halichoeres

I was assuming a mix of new and old, or maybe repainted products, which would expand the universe of possibilities. But I suppose Lego advent calendars, for example, are all the same, so maybe it makes more sense to assume Kaiyodo will do something similar.

brettnj

I'm not even letting myself think that the company would start a new tradition and do something so disappointing and all around uncool as to make part of the surprise the prduct is designed to highlight each day that you might be getting recycled figures. Or at least I wasn't until you mentioned it...

If it does, that'll be among the most customer unfriendly moves the company has ever made.

terrorchicken

^from what Ive seen from other companies like Schleich, Breyer and Collecta that's how their advent calendars are. They're almost always repaints of previous figures.

postsaurischian

Quote from: brettnj on November 02, 2022, 11:56:42 PMI'm not even letting myself think that the company would start a new tradition and do something so disappointing and all around uncool as to make part of the surprise the prduct is designed to highlight each day that you might be getting recycled figures. Or at least I wasn't until you mentioned it...

If it does, that'll be among the most customer unfriendly moves the company has ever made.

Well, Kaiyodo is well known for recycled figures. Throughout the last 10 CapsuleQ Museum sets there have been at least 50% recycled figures.
I will surely not spend 15.000 Yen on this big blindbag for getting probably another new Tyrannosaurus miniature.

postsaurischian

*mistake*

brettnj

Well now you've maybe talked me out of pre-ordering myself.

I'd not have expected recycling in a situation like this (launching a new item and one designed to surprise) but don't think I can afford to take the chance.

At least this year's release will inform next's and we'll know how to handle that one.

postsaurischian

Oh, it wasn't my intention to talk anybody out of getting the calendar.
 I just won't take the risk of ordering it. If I was rich, maybe I would. Maybe we get 24 brand-new sculpts of highly acclaimed species ;D .

brettnj

No worries.

I'm only saying I might not/likely won't pre-order it. And if I don't that might work in my favor, especially if we can continue to buy it once we know its contents.

And the more info the better. I wasn't, for instance, aware that the other companies included recycled figures in their calendars (or that they even had calendars since I only collect Japanese figures).

Thanks.
Brett

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: