News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo: New for 2023

Started by Renecito, November 09, 2022, 01:29:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flaffy

Quote from: Dyscrasia on November 11, 2022, 01:08:09 AM
Quote from: Sim on November 10, 2022, 07:21:43 PMavatar_Flaffy @Flaffy, I can't remember where I saw it, but I've read that the Papo Plesiosaurus and Tylosaurus weren't by Mr. Seo.

Yes, that is true. There is at least one or more sculptors involved in Papo's prehistoric creatures line aside from Mr. Seo.

Ah my mistake then. But point still stands on Mr. Seo's sculpting skills.

Duck

I actually really like the Concavenator for how weird it is, I'll probably get it if I see it for sale somewhere
He who dwells in pond

Bokisaurus

Hmmmmm, what happened to Papo?🤷🏻�♂️

Ikessauro

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on November 10, 2022, 10:58:36 PMI don't understand being "done" with a company unless you disagree with their practices on some deep moral level and don't want to continue supporting them; surely you should judge on a figure to figure basis, rather than a brand as a whole? Even Schleich makes good things sometimes.

Agreed. I don't know why people like to be so dramatic over dino toys sometime. A company makes one "not great" figure and folks act like they commited treason of something.

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Ikessauro on November 11, 2022, 03:37:25 AM
Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on November 10, 2022, 10:58:36 PMI don't understand being "done" with a company unless you disagree with their practices on some deep moral level and don't want to continue supporting them; surely you should judge on a figure to figure basis, rather than a brand as a whole? Even Schleich makes good things sometimes.

Agreed. I don't know why people like to be so dramatic over dino toys sometime. A company makes one "not great" figure and folks act like they commited treason of something.

..it's the main reason why I'm gradually loosing interest in DTF..

Carnoking

I think a big part of it is that the dinosaur market has become so saturated with great offerings from so many new and old companies over the years and we've simply been spoiled. Papo used to be top of the line but now they just haven't been giving old fans a reason to not shift their focus elsewhere. If anything, they're encouraging it as this is the third underwhelming performance in a row, and when you have the likes of PNSO producing a dozen gorgeous models a year (just as an example) it does beg the question of why bother giving a company your attention if they're not gonna make an effort to stand out in a crowded market.

Of course, we should still be able to recognize the more exceptional pieces and give credit where credit is due (the Kronosaurus for example has been the diamond in the rough) but for the past couple of years now, Papo has not been a source for my dinosaur collecting and it seems that's not about to change.

JimoAi

At least papo's modern animals hold up

Lynx

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on November 11, 2022, 08:03:29 AM

I feel like public sway has a huge factor in it. If a couple people begin to not like a model and express this with extreme phrases, others will join in and do the same. Eventually, a figure or company is just being mashed to a pulp, even by people that previously didn't actually mind it.

That is just kind of my theory. I am not trying to imply you can't criticize something, but I feel it is a possible cycle.
An oversized house cat.

SidB

Quote from: Lynx on November 11, 2022, 12:40:25 PM
Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on November 11, 2022, 08:03:29 AM

I feel like public sway has a huge factor in it. If a couple people begin to not like a model and express this with extreme phrases, others will join in and do the same. Eventually, a figure or company is just being mashed to a pulp, even by people that previously didn't actually mind it.

That is just kind of my theory. I am not trying to imply you can't criticize something, but I feel it is a possible cycle.
We all make harsh comments from time to time, sometimes comments that we later rescind after the heat of the moment has passed. I sure have. But I think that a certain mental and emotional toughness, as well as a sense of balance and proportion are necessary to persist as a long term member of any online forum. We give companies another chance, indeed many chances (you - Schleich), and people as well. Its a good practice - both parties usually subsequently surprise and please us with good products and fine insights, respectively. The key is to endure through the unnecessary negativity (of which we are all capable) to the 'light at the end of the tunnel'. Enjoy the hobby!

Renecito

S @SidB You're welcome.

I'm loving the Knonosaurus and I am glad to see that the Woolly Rhino is back and I am going to get it too.
Favorite Brands:              Favorite Dinosaurs:
1 - PNSO                        1 - Carnotaurus
2 - Vitae                         2 - Spinosaurus/Suchomimus
3 - Eofauna                     3 - Therizinosaurus
4 - Carnegie Line             4 - Deinocheirus
5 - CollectA                     5 - Gigantoraptor

suspsy

I'm not "done" with Papo per se, but their dinosaurs really have been disappointing for the past few years. If they ever actually improve again, I would consider purchasing some.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

bmathison1972

Quote from: suspsy on November 11, 2022, 02:57:58 PMI'm not "done" with Papo per se, but their dinosaurs really have been disappointing for the past few years. If they ever actually improve again, I would consider purchasing some.

I've never liked their dinosaurs; but their extant animals are getting better and more interesting every year!

SidB

Quote from: suspsy on November 11, 2022, 02:57:58 PMI'm not "done" with Papo per se, but their dinosaurs really have been disappointing for the past few years. If they ever actually improve again, I would consider purchasing some.
No doubt, they have been a disappointment, to me a major one, though alleviated by the output of CollectA,Safari and PNSO.

SidB

For me, a good thing has emerged out of Papo's dino decline. Since my display dioramas are stocked by PNSO'S, Papo's high production values enabled their figures to blend in nicely, filling in those genera that PNSO hadn't gotten around to making. With the decline of Papo, I've turned to CollectA ( but not Safari, as these have their own area), Vitae, Favorite and even two Schleich ( Ahanghera, Saltasaurus), to supplement the PNSO'S and Papo's. As PNSO'S become available, I gradually replace the supplementary ones - e.g., PNSO Therizinosaurus replaces the Papo one, and so on.

Mattyonyx

Quote from: Carnoking on November 11, 2022, 09:35:55 AMI think a big part of it is that the dinosaur market has become so saturated with great offerings from so many new and old companies over the years and we've simply been spoiled. Papo used to be top of the line but now they just haven't been giving old fans a reason to not shift their focus elsewhere. If anything, they're encouraging it as this is the third underwhelming performance in a row, and when you have the likes of PNSO producing a dozen gorgeous models a year (just as an example) it does beg the question of why bother giving a company your attention if they're not gonna make an effort to stand out in a crowded market.

Of course, we should still be able to recognize the more exceptional pieces and give credit where credit is due (the Kronosaurus for example has been the diamond in the rough) but for the past couple of years now, Papo has not been a source for my dinosaur collecting and it seems that's not about to change.

The thing is, we see it as a lack of effort because we're looking at the dinosaur figures when we should look at the overall picture.

Mr. Seo has been busy sculpting Mosasaurus, Kronosaurus, and the two articulated dragons, which means the company decided to temporarily shift the focus to the fantasy line and reinforce the marine reptiles section, arguably the weakest of the prehistoric line. Papo is not only dinosaurs, even though they're what made it famous as a toy company, while PNSO and others are now focused on them.

Concavenator

For me, "being done" doesn't mean that no matter what they do, I won't buy anything from them, so it's not in a literal sense nor I have anything personal against Papo. It just goes to say that seeing how their releases have been as of late, I'm quite confident to say that I don't expect them to release anything that interests me anymore. Again, I don't have anything against Papo, more like the other way around, Papo along with Carnegie (Safari) were initially the companies that made me really interested in dinosaur collecting. But one thing is being fond of them as a company and another thing is keep buying what they release no matter how bad their products (prehistoric animals in this case) are; I'm not a completist and I'm selective towards what I buy (which is totally fine, not every collector is interested in the same things). So for me it's simply disappointing to see how low they've fallen from their earlier, golden days.

As avatar_Carnoking @Carnoking said, the competence is very strong now. That said, if they eventually release something that's decent I might be interested, for instance I picked up their 2020 Megaloceros, which amidst of their 2020 batch stood out as a nice surprise in my eyes.

Faelrin

avatar_GojiraGuy1954 @GojiraGuy1954 I mean if they aren't releasing anything I'm interested in, then there's no need for me to continue buying their products. It's possible they could release something I find highly desirable in the future that turns me around. Like I'm not writing them off permanently per se. But nothing has also really held my attention since I picked up their 2019 Spinosaurus.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

KrazyKaprosuchus

Calling someone dramatic over their opinion that Papo's prehistoric line has been, and will probably continue to decline, is absolutely ridiculous. Especially when it's pretty much right on the money.

KrazyKaprosuchus

Double post, sorry.

SpartanSquat

question: Mr Seo did the einiosaurus? Im not sure due there is no beter quality pics of einio

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: