News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo: New for 2023

Started by Renecito, November 09, 2022, 01:29:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stegotyranno420

Far superior to both collectA renditions.

Lynx

Surprised nobody is complimenting the forked tongue, considering how many people complain about it not being featured in most mosasaur models.
An oversized house cat.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Lynx on December 29, 2022, 07:03:03 PMSurprised nobody is complimenting the forked tongue, considering how many people complain about it not being featured in most mosasaur models.
I'm not an expert or even very knowledgeable about mosasaur tongues, but if I remember they probably sported more thin, monitor or snake like tongues.
Or maybe due to their aquatic nature it became more like a normal tongue, but I doubt Papo would actually investigate into that.

Flaffy

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on December 29, 2022, 06:47:37 PMFar superior to both collectA renditions.

The old CollectA Mosasaurus I understand, but not seeing it at all for the newer 2023 sculpt.

Quote from: Lynx on December 29, 2022, 07:03:03 PMSurprised nobody is complimenting the forked tongue, considering how many people complain about it not being featured in most mosasaur models.

I'm personally not fond of the execution. The forked tongue feels like an afterthought rather than an integrated feature of the sculpt. It just doesn't resemble the oral anatomy of a varanoid squamate, but instead a mammalian mouth (iirc a lot of other Papo sculpts also have mammalian oral anatomy).

The Prehistoric Planet Mosasaurus is a good reconstruction in that regard.

PrimevalRaptor

The CollectA is still superior in terms of accuracy and soft tissue but yeah I'm pretty sure I'll pick this one up, it's a pretty decent mosasaur, I like the skin folds a lot and it puts the Schleich one to shame (unlike some of Papos other offerings)

GojiraGuy1954

Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Halichoeres

I might have bought this if it came out five or six years ago, but now there are better options, especially CollectA's forthcoming version.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Stegotyranno420

The more I look at both, I have come to this conclusion. 
What Papo's has, collectA's lacks anf vice versa.
Papo is detailed and more realistic looking(not necessarily accurate)
CollectA is accurate in proportions but a bit bland
Personally I prefer a mosasaur more like PNSO's new one or Safari's new one(altough I adore the Carnegie one for different reasons)

Blade-of-the-Moon

I've sort of stopped buying a lot of CollectA pieces and same for Papo..only my PNSO, BotM, and JW lines are really growing.

Pachyrhinosaurus

Quote from: bmathison1972 on December 29, 2022, 06:43:33 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on December 29, 2022, 06:07:26 PMCollectA's is the way to go. I wouldn't mind seeing more of that right whale though.

Looks a bit small. Too bad, I was thinking of getting it to represent the southern right whale (I use the Safari as a northern)

I was hoping it would be more in-line with Papo's humpback or blue whales in size, myself. A bit disappointing, but still a good model and I'll probably end up with one at some point.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Eatmycar

The tongue looks so... weird. I'm not sure HOW to articulate it, but it's just not appealing sadly.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on December 30, 2022, 07:12:03 PMThe more I look at both, I have come to this conclusion. 
What Papo's has, collectA's lacks anf vice versa.
Papo is detailed and more realistic looking(not necessarily accurate)
CollectA is accurate in proportions but a bit bland
Personally I prefer a mosasaur more like PNSO's new one or Safari's new one(altough I adore the Carnegie one for different reasons)
I won't be getting CollectA's because I prefer PNSO's accurate Mosasaur. I like how this one is stylised and it reminds me of the Papo figures that released when I started my collection on them, which is about a decade ago at this point.
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Stegotyranno420

avatar_GojiraGuy1954 @GojiraGuy1954 Agreed 100%
Nostalgia is definitely a factor

Concavenator

It's a nice-looking figure, but as a representation of a Mosasaurus, the new CollectA one is way better, and also looks nice. Even the older CollectA one was fairly good, if imperfect, and I had thought about getting it more than once. So the new CollectA one seals the deal for me. That said, this Papo Mosa is noticeably better than the likes of the Schleich version and the Papo Tylosaurus.

SpartanSquat

Looks really nice! But I though the tongue in the catalog pic looked more snake/monitor lizard like

Fembrogon

I like it. As a stylized take on the genus, I think it looks very good. I bet it will make a nice comparison piece to the more scientifically accurate Collecta model.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Concavenator on January 01, 2023, 11:02:07 PMIt's a nice-looking figure, but as a representation of a Mosasaurus, the new CollectA one is way better, and also looks nice. Even the older CollectA one was fairly good, if imperfect, and I had thought about getting it more than once. So the new CollectA one seals the deal for me. That said, this Papo Mosa is noticeably better than the likes of the Schleich version and the Papo Tylosaurus.

If you want something that looks like it be viewed in the Crystal Palace I think the retro Tylosaurus works well enough. :)

Dilophosaurus_8o

In my opinion the papo Mosasaurus looks WAY better than any other renditions I've seen, same goes for the Kronosaurus. While they aren't as accurate as safari or collectA's renditions of them, they look far more pleasing to the eye. the Einiosaurus is a major letdown, with most of papo's ceratopsians being very good, while this one just looks off to me. I have mixed opinions on the Concavenator, while it's not as bad as the dreaded protoceratops, its strange feather arrangement is an eyesore. If they omitted the feathers on the head and underside of the neck, then it would probably be just fine. The pose isn't great either. Definitely picking up the Mosa and Krono, and might pick up the Concavenator (unless PNSO or some other company makes a better one)
I've been sleeping in a cardboard box, spending every dollar at the liquor shop, but even though I know I haven't got a lot, I'll try to give you love until the day you drop

SidB

Quote from: Lynx on December 01, 2022, 05:01:22 PMEinosaurus
"Alright Papo, you just made an amazing Pentaceratops and Styracosaurus, some of the best models you have to offer. Now people want even more ceratopsians! Maybe a widely requested triceratops r-"

"Einosaurus."

"I mean, that's fine too, I am sure it would look amaz-"

"And reduce its neck to less than a centimeter."

3/10.
Well, I'll stick my neck out here -appears that Papo's ceratopsians do have neck issues at times: this one is too short, though that may be a bit of a perspective thing, since it's kind of in a crouch position, scrunched up-like, while the old Styracosaurus suffered from a neck that seemed somewhat over lengthy, at least compared to typical depictions of the animal.

Medzo

As someone who had started collecting with Papo 2 years ago and ended up with mainly PNSO figures, my opinion stands the same:

Papo is so close to being satisfactory for an adult collector...but it just can't get there. Always some issues with details, paint jobs and gloss, proportions that puts them on a maximum 7/10-ish state on the scale for me, while PNSO is like a constantly improving 8-9/10 at the moment.

At this price range I just rather save up for one PNSO figure from time to time.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: