News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Creative Beast hopes and dreams

Started by Sim, April 19, 2022, 07:01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GojiraGuy1954

Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Sim

Yes, thanks for that!  I've corrected it now.  Cenozoic and Cyberzoic both begin with C and end with zoic, so without realising I mixed them up.

Eatmycar

I really hope Cenozoic will go and give us early humans and primates above all else. It's not hard to find a smilodon or a mammoth figure, but early humans have nothing at all, nevermind apes.

At the very least, a few Neandertals, Australopithecus, and Gigantopithecus would be a great, and unique option for Cenozoic.

After that, I would love a 1/18 dodo. Dave's shown that he can do smaller avians (the 1/18 raptors), why not such an iconic animal?

GojiraGuy1954

I just hope we actually get "Beasts of the Cenozoic" and not "Beasts of the Pleistocene"
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Sim

Early humans and other prehistoric primates have been made a few times by various companies, e.g. Safari.  That doesn't mean they wouldn't be a good choice for BotC though.

Personally, I hope BotC will include early whales.  I would love an Ambulocetus, and Georgiacetus would be great too.  I'm afraid both species of Basilosaurus would be too big for 1:18 scale, so Dorudon and Cynthiacetus would be nicely-sized replacements.  None of the species I'm suggesting here for BotC have been made before too.

Faelrin

I would absolutely shell out for any of those. As I said in the other thread, prehistoric cetacean figures are few and far between. I didn't really realize this earlier but Dorudon is also pretty small. Like in between an extant bottlenose dolphin and the larger orca. And much smaller then an adult Triceratops, to help put it in perspective among one of the larger figures already made.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Sim

I forgot to say I hope Kelenken is made for BotC.  It's the largest terror bird and an interesting animal.  It's also one of the few terror birds which has the cranium known.

Eatmycar

Ooh that would be exciting to see. I really hope when we get some terror birds that Dave will opt for the colors of parrots tbh. I want nothing more than a giant terror bird painted up like a Macaw or a Cockatoo.

Sim

E @Eatmycar you might be pleased to know on Facebook David has expressed interest in making a dodo for BotC.

BoneHead98

Deinotherium instantly came to mind the minute I saw the BOTC announcement so I suppose that lol.

Sim

Quote from: Flaffy on July 27, 2022, 08:00:46 PMI still wonder why David didn't go and edit the proportions of Dromaeosaurus before releasing the 1/18 version.

Skeletal: Ashley Patch
Artwork: Jed Taylor
Hopefully we'll see a Zhenyuanlong with proper proportions, as it was my most anticipated figure back during the raptor kickstarter.

I'm planning to get the 1:18 BotM dromaeosaurids and I keep getting reminded of your post when I see the Dromaeosaurus and how short it is.  I previously thought the Dromaeosaurus was fine, but its short legs combined with the deeper vertical pubis doesn't quite look right. :-\  I'm very happy with the 1:18 Velociraptor and Linheraptor, but the Dromaeosaurus makes me wonder why, similar to what you said, David didn't improve its leg length.  I still like the Dromaeosaurus quite a lot, I'm currently unsure if I will get it due to how low to the ground it is.  I can understand the disappointment with the 1:6 Zhenyuanlong as I'm currently feeling a bit disappointed with the 1:18 Dromaeosaurus's leg length.  I hope that David corrects the inaccuracies of the Zhenyuanlong if he releases a 1:18 version of it, and maybe he could use its longer legs for a newer release of the Dromaeosaurus...

Sim

I've spent some time looking at dromaeosaurid skeletons and among the smaller species I've noticed that the ones with a vertical pubis have longer legs than the ones with a backswept pubis.  It's unfortunate that for the BotM versions this wasn't reflected.  Saurornitholestes and Zhenyuanlong both have a vertical pubis and longer legs, so longer leg parts would work for them and the Dromaeosaurus.  I'm really not sure if I should get the 1:18 Dromaeosaurus, I like it but its legs look too short.  Maybe I should hope that if a fan's choice version of the 1:18 Dromaeosaurus is released, it will have longer legs?  Or maybe if the Dromaeosaurus could have longer legs David would have made it that way already...

Eatmycar

Hot take, I would love if we got a sub-line of retrosaur and paleo-inaccurate designs from Dave... and I don't mean Jurassic Park.

Charles R. Knight dinosaurs, fluffy Pachyrhinosaurus, Crystal Palace dinosaurs, maybe some meme dinosaurs too like Spinofaarus...

Pliosaurking

Quote from: Eatmycar on December 22, 2022, 02:46:32 PMHot take, I would love if we got a sub-line of retrosaur and paleo-inaccurate designs from Dave... and I don't mean Jurassic Park.

Charles R. Knight dinosaurs, fluffy Pachyrhinosaurus, Crystal Palace dinosaurs, maybe some meme dinosaurs too like Spinofaarus...

Retro David Silva dinosaurs would be awesome! Unfortunately I'm not too sure that would ever happen...

Sim

I would like a BotM Ornitholestes.  It could share parts with some of the small 1:18 dromaeosaurid figures I think, and still end up looking unique.

Concavenator

My first and foremost hope is that they release 1/35 figures more often. The 1/18 scale is what stops me from getting the bigger ones. In particular, I would be interested in 1/35 versions of:

Allosaurus
Yutyrannus
Carnotaurus
Gorgosaurus
Pachyrhinosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Kentrosaurus
Edmontonia
Ceratosaurus

Quote from: Sim on December 08, 2022, 08:01:59 PMMaybe I should hope that if a fan's choice version of the 1:18 Dromaeosaurus is released, it will have longer legs?  Or maybe if the Dromaeosaurus could have longer legs David would have made it that way already...

I'm inclined to think the latter. He could have done it when the 1/18 Dromaeosaurus was released and he didn't, so I doubt he will get to that now. And in any case the FC versions are just repaints, so theoretically they "should" be the same sculpt. Same with the Zhenyuanlong (unfortunately, still waiting for a good figure of it).

Cretaceous Crab

After getting my 1/35 scale WWD Tyrannosaurus, I wouldn't mind a 1/35 Triceratops to pair with it.

An abelisaur line would be cool.

Concavenator

Quote from: Cretaceous Crab on January 19, 2023, 09:16:12 PMAfter getting my 1/35 scale WWD Tyrannosaurus, I wouldn't mind a 1/35 Triceratops to pair with it.

Well, you're lucky then, because that's the "subadult" Triceratops.

Faelrin

avatar_Cretaceous Crab @Cretaceous Crab The sub-adult Triceratops is pretty much the closest thing to a 1/35 scale Triceratops we'll probably get. I would recommend it. I got one, but never got the opportunity to really have it in hand much (got put in storage shortly after arriving thanks to one horrible year).

Honestly I am all for 1/35 versions, as it would generally mean more cheaper and smaller-space conscious options. At the same time 1/18 is also appealing to me, because it means things like a T. rex is actually big, and small, but famous dinosaurs like Velociraptor and Protoceratops can still make the cut at that scale, and be feasible. It's also the same scale Mattel uses with their JP/JW figures, which allows for some fun cross-compatibility here and there. 1/35 was just barely feasible for the Wild Past Protoceratops (Wild Past version), so I think an articulated version is out of the question (unless something like the Mattel mini's with one point might still be possible, but I'm not certain), but not that I see that happening anytime soon, or anyone really requesting it. Merely an example I'm putting out there.

At the same time David does have a lot on his plate already with all his projects, but at the same time he did do some 1/18 versions of 1/6 figures, and 1/35 of the T. rex, so how much harder would it be for a couple others like the Allosaurus and Stegosaurus to get that treatment at least? I wonder if he would be open to the possibility if there was enough support for it? It could also just be a matter of needing to be patient too, as was the case for the 1/18 versions of  the few dromaeosaurids and smaller ceratopsians (which I am still unfortunately behind on, and need to buy since a) I wanted them in the first place for several years now, and b) to help support the prospects of others getting done in the future). Edit: It probably wouldn't hurt to ask him anyways.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Concavenator

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: