News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

TooOldForDinosaurs' Repaints

Started by TooOldForDinosaurs, July 18, 2022, 04:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

TooOldForDinosaurs

TooOldForDinosaurs

The last month was very stressful and I had close to no freetime. All the more happy I am to finally post in this thread again today. This afternoon I had some time to get back to sculpting and started with my Megatherium project. I was able to achieve my goal and finish the head. Here are some pictures of the result :)

I decided to pass on the standard look with a stretched out tongue mainly because of stability concerns. Now it looks a bit like a cow but oh well.  :D

SidB

Good to your thread active again, I must say.

TooOldForDinosaurs

Update:

Done with body frame (wiring, aluminium foil, base layer of polymer clay). Connected the head to the frame. Sculpted the neck and coated the right chest with a second layer of clay. Sculpted left arm and added fur detail to second clay layer around it.

The Megatherium will be done in a sitting pose, very similar to Safaris offering or the one from Signatu studio (pretty sure I'm using the same picture reference). Main reason being I really need direct 3-D reference for the limbs and body in general. The figure is roughly done in a 1:20 scale so it will match with the Collecta Elasmotherium (and other mammals)and the I-TOY Paraceratherium.

I'll be using a LOT of polymer clay and the figure has already quite a decent weight to it. The back will be bulked out and this friend will sport a great dad bod in general. This will be the biggest figure by far out of the 3 I've sculpted.

Halichoeres

Looking great so far! Out of curiosity, how did you decide how much pinna to give it? This seems like a plausible ear to me, but it also strikes me as a little hard to predict based on living relatives.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

TooOldForDinosaurs

Thanks, I appreciate it!
Fair enough  :)) . To be quite frank they turned out a bit bigger than I wanted them, I just based them on paleoart I liked the most. One of them being the reconstruction by Mauricio Anton as seen on the National History Museum homepage here: https://www.nhm.ac.uk/discover/what-was-megatherium.html  :)

TooOldForDinosaurs

Update post:

This far done with the Megatherium. The head is slightly out of proportion which bugs me out a lot but I still like the figure very much so far. I expect it to be hard to fit the big feet next to each other with the space I am working with there.

It's a BIG figure...

360° The back looks really good IMO

Dusty Wren

You did a great job implying the muscle under all that fur. I don't think the proportional issue with the head is that noticeable (and besides, you can say the head just looks bigger because of all the fluff!)

Also, really impressed that you managed to bake a figure that big without scorching it at all. You've baked it a couple of times at this point, right? How'd you keep that white clay so pristine?
Check out my customs thread!

TooOldForDinosaurs

Thanks a lot! Well I'm glad then, maybe I'm too harsh on myself.
I didn't do anything in particular. I've baked it 4 times now for about 20-30min at 110° C.  :)

TooOldForDinosaurs

Done!  :)

Freshly out of the oven and a quick weigh-in:
Spoiler

[close]

SidB

That's remarkable - such an unique and fascinating pose for your creation! You dared to do what perhaps only CollectA occasionally attempts to do: put an animal in an endearing real-life position that captures an instant of relaxation, etc.

TooOldForDinosaurs

Quote from: SidB on January 04, 2023, 01:43:55 PMThat's remarkable - such an unique and fascinating pose for your creation! You dared to do what perhaps only CollectA occasionally attempts to do: put an animal in an endearing real-life position that captures an instant of relaxation, etc.
Thank you for your praise! ^-^  True, there are not enough sitting or lying positioned prehistoric animals! I would still welcome a 1:20 Megatherium from CollectA itself - who knows if we'll ever get one.  :)

SidB

Quote from: TooOldForDinosaurs on January 04, 2023, 03:02:35 PM
Quote from: SidB on January 04, 2023, 01:43:55 PMThat's remarkable - such an unique and fascinating pose for your creation! You dared to do what perhaps only CollectA occasionally attempts to do: put an animal in an endearing real-life position that captures an instant of relaxation, etc.
Thank you for your praise! ^-^  True, there are not enough sitting or lying positioned prehistoric animals! I would still welcome a 1:20 Megatherium from CollectA itself - who knows if we'll ever get one.  :)
The megatherium is my number one wish from CollectA. I was quite disappointed that we didn't get a Cenozoic mammal from them for 2023, let alone a megatherium. Your production brings me a sense of delight. Good for taking matters into your own hands.

TooOldForDinosaurs

Halichoeres

The position of the feet gives it a teddy bear vibe!  :))

TooOldForDinosaurs

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 08, 2023, 07:59:07 PMThe position of the feet gives it a teddy bear vibe!  :))
It really does  :))  :))  the pose in general makes him look a bit like a big stuffed plushie.

TooOldForDinosaurs

Not sure where to put this, so I'll put it in here since it is art-related. I've created a new instagram account where I will catalog all my dinosaur models/ toys etc. by uploading some good looking photography  ;)

If you're interested in the photos or are active on there as well you can leave me a follow or message me and I will gladly do the same.

Here's a teaser:

And here's how you get to my profile:
https://www.instagram.com/nottoooldfordinosaurs/

Over and out. :)

Halichoeres

I don't have Instagram but I'll happily feast my eyes on anything shared here!

ceratopsian

Theoretically I have Instagram. But I rarely remember to open it!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: