News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO : New for 2023

Started by Renecito, February 08, 2023, 12:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flaffy

Quote from: Antey on February 10, 2023, 01:28:12 PM
Quote from: Fembrogon on February 10, 2023, 05:05:20 AM
Quote from: TheCambrianCrusader on February 10, 2023, 01:54:25 AMSmall question tho, the skull doesn't look too different from the old carnegie and other models to me so like whats exactly changed? The only major difference I can notice is the shape of the jugal, is there anything else?
The jugal is the biggest difference, but the frontal section of the snout is a little blunter and more rounded in shape too. The "snarl" just in front of the jugal is drastically reduced as well.

Comparison:

Spoiler
1997 reconstruction (by Robert Walters?):

2022 reconstruction (by Dan Folkes - Giga on top, Meraxes bottom)

[close]

The 2018 Safari figure (and the Eofauna, and the old Lucas) lean closer to the former; PNSO's Lucas 2.0 (and the 2021 Favorite, for the record) appear closer to the latter.
Strange, but under the spoiler there is only an image of the skull of a giganotosaurus. And nothing more. No Meraxes or giga from other manufacturers.

avatar_Antey @Antey are you mistaking the lower Meraxes skull for Giganotosaurus? I see the images no problem.

I don't beleive avatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon attached any additional images comparing Giganotosaurus models from other companies.

Eatmycar

avatar_Sim @Sim I finally *get* the giant chin of the Giganotosaurus now after seeing this. I hope we find a more complete specimen at some point...

Carnoking

I don't mind the colors chosen but the application feels a bit simplistic. I'm also not a fan of the slapdashed markings down the flank, that reminds me of the random streaks of color Mattel has started mixing into their plastic.

Might be the first recent PNSO dinosaur I'll be passing on (at least until there's some sale  :P )

Antey

Quote from: Kei on February 10, 2023, 03:50:07 PMLooks like some folks over in China have already got their hands on it  :D color me surprised the paint job looks good

The case when the live figure looks much better than in the announcement. Now I am completely satisfied. As soon as there is a discount on Aliexpress, I will buy it. Must have.
By the way - I have a figure of a tyrannosaurus rex, about which there is no review on the site. She is also incredibly good live. Photos do not convey all the advantages.

CARN0TAURUS

I own gamba and I can tell that this is not just another gamba...BTW, gamba is one of my favorite PNSO's and I consider it an under appreciated masterpiece...

He heads are really different, the contour of their spine or upper back is very different, gamba is taking a longer step which implies urgency and more speed his hands are also clenching almost like making a fist, and his tail is swinging to the left dramatically as if the figure is turning quickly to go after something, so IMO gamba's body language implies something is getting ready to happen, it implies action...gamba is perfect for posing with his mouth open...

This new giga looks to be taking a stroll, his stride looks shorter and much more relaxed, maybe just casually patrolling his territory, hands are in a more relaxed pose, his legs also look much thicker and heavier than gambas...his belly is tighter than gambas and doesn't sag as far down, I guess he's been doing situps, he does seem to be more robust sideways than gamba, his tail looks less thick overall too but his torso is a bit longer as well...this one looks like it'll pose better with it's mouth closed...

I'm a big fan of how both gamba and this new lucas potray the neck and chest, these animals had massive heads, and for some reason, the old Carnegie, and my beloved safari and eofauna versions, they all show these animals with a very thin almost frail looking neck, I've never understood that, the size of the head and the way that they fed by tearing off large chunks of flesh would've required them to have thick muscular necks, I like how PNSO has modeled the necks on these animals...they look realistic thick instead of looking like giant turkeys...

I like the color scheme, especially the use of red on his face, I always said that gamba's coloring was fine with me the only issue I had was the way the final stripes were added, they don't taper to a sharp point and just appear to have been slapped on at the end as if they decided the figure looked too plane without stripes...the stripes on this new lucas appear to have been done much more carefully as they should considering this figure will cost about 35-40% more than gamba did...

I can't wait to stand these two side by side and I can say just from looking at the photos that this is already at least IMO the best giga I've ever seen...can't wait to get one of these, it looks fantastic!

CARN0TAURUS

This profile view is what sold me on this figure...I think PNSO really captured the essence of giganotosaurus in this piece.

TheCambrianCrusader

Quote from: Fembrogon on February 10, 2023, 05:05:20 AM
Quote from: TheCambrianCrusader on February 10, 2023, 01:54:25 AMSmall question tho, the skull doesn't look too different from the old carnegie and other models to me so like whats exactly changed? The only major difference I can notice is the shape of the jugal, is there anything else?
The jugal is the biggest difference, but the frontal section of the snout is a little blunter and more rounded in shape too. The "snarl" just in front of the jugal is drastically reduced as well.

Comparison:

Spoiler
1997 reconstruction (by Robert Walters?):

https://64.media.tumblr.com/fcac0c7c967d73d0ff0ab721b4631c3f/tumblr_nic9qzMPcB1tp9utuo1_1280.jpg

2022 reconstruction (by Dan Folkes - Giga on top, Meraxes bottom)

https://twitter.com/DanPalaeon1/status/1545538459456126978
[close]

The 2018 Safari figure (and the Eofauna, and the old Lucas) lean closer to the former; PNSO's Lucas 2.0 (and the 2021 Favorite, for the record) appear closer to the latter.
Huh good to know, thanks!

TheCambrianCrusader

I wonder, was Acrocanthosaurus the original basis for the pronounced jugal?

Faelrin

Amazon already showing this dude in stock:

https://www.amazon.com/PNSO-Dinosaur-Museums-Giganotosaurus-Scietific/dp/B0BNNRL8FS

Price is $59.99. Was expecting it to be higher tbh, like Winter Wilson. Only $10 more then the Deinocheirus, and less then the Lingwulong. Same price as Torosaurus, Amargasaurus, etc.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Faelrin on February 11, 2023, 01:38:40 AMAmazon already showing this dude in stock:

https://www.amazon.com/PNSO-Dinosaur-Museums-Giganotosaurus-Scietific/dp/B0BNNRL8FS

Price is $59.99. Was expecting it to be higher tbh, like Winter Wilson. Only $10 more then the Deinocheirus, and less then the Lingwulong. Same price as Torosaurus, Amargasaurus, etc.

shipping is a bit though, 12.00?

Faelrin

avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon Yeah sorry I didn't take a look at that. Probably a good idea to wait for that to go down first, unless folks are inpatient.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Paleo Flo

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on February 10, 2023, 06:51:05 PMThis profile view is what sold me on this figure...I think PNSO really captured the essence of giganotosaurus in this piece

A nice view indeed. I'm personally not in Giganotosaurus in general that much.
Welcome to Florassic Park...my collection:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10638.0

Leyster

Quote from: TheCambrianCrusader on February 10, 2023, 11:17:31 PMI wonder, was Acrocanthosaurus the original basis for the pronounced jugal?
No. In fact, restoring the skull based on Acrocanthosaurus yelds a result much closer to the real thing. There is no reasonable explanation for the overelongated infratemporal fenestra.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

SRF

Seeing the in hand photos of Lucas on Paleofiguras Facebook page it seems to have the colors the Zhuchengtyrannus had on the promotional images. It looks nice and it differs more from the Carcharodonotosaurus than I thought it would. I'm looking forward to some comparison shots with some of the other theropods from PNSO.
But today, I'm just being father

TheCambrianCrusader

Quote from: Leyster on February 11, 2023, 08:22:48 AM
Quote from: TheCambrianCrusader on February 10, 2023, 11:17:31 PMI wonder, was Acrocanthosaurus the original basis for the pronounced jugal?
No. In fact, restoring the skull based on Acrocanthosaurus yelds a result much closer to the real thing. There is no reasonable explanation for the overelongated infratemporal fenestra.
Man that's really weird then.

Stegotyranno420

To be honest I anticipated PNSO'S Giganotosaurus to look more akin to their Acrocanthosaurus than to their Carcharodontosaurus. While the latter is more related, it is also more derived, having an elongated skull that is different from the standard rigid skull that Acrocanthosaurus and likely Giganotosaurus had. At some angles obscuring the spine, Fergus looks more like a Giganotosaurus than Gamba. Still, an amazing figure

Sim

avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno420, I don't understand most of what you're saying, could you clarify please?  I did understand that you think Carcharodontosaurus has an elongated skull though.  And with regards to that, it's not a fact that Carcharodontosaurus has an elongated skull.  Just like how with Giganotosaurus people elongated the unknown rear part of the skull, with Carcharodontosaurus people elongated the unknown premaxilla part of the skull.  Neither of these elongations is based on anything reasonable, it's been said that the only reason those unknown parts of the skull were elongated as much as possible was to make the skull longer than that of Tyrannosaurus.

Long story short, Carcharodontosaurus does not have an elongated skull, restoring the missing parts after other carcharodontosaurids gives it a similar skull to theirs, not an elongated one.

Leyster

avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno420 Carcharodontosaurus' skull is not that elongated, unless you use the old "Pinocchio" restoration.

"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Stegotyranno420

I meant Gamba in particular, as Carcharodontosaurus is now revised to have a more similar skull, from what I can observe. I dont have the figure, so I understand if I am not correct in the aspects.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: