You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

BrontoScorpio's Recent Acquisitions & finds ( Please Don't Quote Pictures !!! )

Started by BrontoScorpio, March 01, 2018, 02:11:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrontoScorpio

Thanks,
The ones I like best are the Diplodocus, with its curly waved shape and folded torso skin, which hold a special place in my distant past,
and the two 'outsiders' to most invicta Catalogs, sort of 'Posthomous' items -

I got a small herd of each :

- The Invicta tiny Dimetrodon -
  which I believe is in scale to the rest of the Dinosaurs - but almost seems like a small monitor lizard next to the rest of them

And a small herd of the Invicta Lambeosaurus, built with an appealing streamline body in the color of chocolate and safely grazing forward :

postsaurischian

:D Wonderful Invictas!
   Lambeosaurus and Dimetrodon also have always been two of my favourites, that's why they got colours from Martin and Noora.

BlueKrono

Very impressive. If you ever decide you could part with one of the Dimetrodons, I've been looking for one for years.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

BrontoScorpio

Quote from: postsaurischian on April 12, 2023, 09:37:23 PM:D Wonderful Invictas!
  Lambeosaurus and Dimetrodon also have always been two of my favourites, that's why they got colours from Martin and Noora.
Those are wonderful color applications.
The Peacock-like scheme on the Dimetrodon is something I should remember when I start coloring myself.
And of course with Martin there is nothing to add ... The surprising decision to choose Green as the main color makes the result even more amazing.

Quote from: BlueKrono on April 13, 2023, 03:29:53 AMVery impressive. If you ever decide you could part with one of the Dimetrodons, I've been looking for one for years.
Sorry, they hunt in packs and I think all 3 are very attached to each other ...
There use to be just one seller with many Dimetrodons.
I kind of wish I had bought more when he was available.
I think he returns from time to time -
Can it be he was the only source of Invicta Dimetrodons ? ...

BrontoScorpio

Just last month got another of Invicta -
This time - two white color variants Triceratops and Stegosaurus :

Joined here to my white Invicta T-rex :

I came accross this seller from leicester UK, where Invoicta was based, whos uncle worked there long ago.
I guess at some point they were experimenting the production procedure without any colors - and his uncle took some home :

When I first found it, he was selling a group of 10! stegs.
I tried my luck and asked him if he has any Triceratops left from a previous sold group - and if he would kindly be willing to sell me just 1 of each -
since why in the world would someone wants 10 of just one dino, other than  to resell them away ...
He was kind enough to oblige -
so there it is, along side the 'Real' color versions :

Now I think it calls for an update shot of the shelf :

And the colored ones, with the British museum Coins :

BrontoScorpio

As with other vintage brands, like Battat , Toyway , Kaiyodo and more - Also with Invicta - I like to have one set loose on display -
and another, mint in box, kept away, just for safe keeping.

Here's a set of Marine Invictas - sold under the brand of 'Nature World' :

Here is the 'Prehistoric Animals' 3 boxes set as from the mid 70's :

And inside :

The information sheet for the set is clearly stating there is no 4th box ...

I  have is another version of the 3-box set, called 'Prehistoric Monsters' :

But I only got set1 - the big one :

This is just an Archeive pic I found online of the complete 3-box other set :

In Japan it was sold in colored boxes - with the famous Invicta painting in the background :

And on the back - all 12 standard items available in this form :

In all I have managed to aquire 8 of those - the Pteranodon and Scelidosaurus share the same box :

And, of course, every body should have the aforementioned famous invicta painting of 12 animals :

Was lucky enough to get also this huge poster with 18 animals :

Libraraptor

That's awesome! An Invicta overdose. Thumbs up and respect for your skills as a collector!

SidB

Fabulous, I didn't know that this remarkable array of Invicta products even existed. What a visual treat!

ceratopsian

Duna

Oh my, that's amazing. I didn't know anyone that had all the four bagged marine creatures. Those Invicta boxed sets are in very good condition, too.
Do you have also the box of 12 and the box of 20 where the first poster came inside too?

BrontoScorpio

Quote from: ceratopsian on April 15, 2023, 03:30:51 PMThe posters are incredibly attractive.
Yes they are ... :)
Here's an Interesting review about the Big one.

SidB

Quote from: BrontoScorpio on April 16, 2023, 09:19:38 PM
Quote from: ceratopsian on April 15, 2023, 03:30:51 PMThe posters are incredibly attractive.
Yes they are ... :)
Here's an Interesting review of the Big on.

Thanks for passing along this great classic - what a trip into the collector's memory-laden past!

BrontoScorpio

Quote from: Duna on April 15, 2023, 08:57:30 PM...
 Those Invicta boxed sets are in very good condition, too.
Do you have also the box of 12 and the box of 20 where the first poster came inside too?
Relatively good condition - considering those boxes are from the mid 70's and as early as 1974.
Clearly you know your way around asking about the 12 & 20 boxes -
Those big boxes come much later, about 1985 and I just found them to be too big and heavy for comfort -
and basically the dinos are loose inside - so I decided to pass on those.
The Invicta painting at the top is appealing indeed - but, I already got the poster itself :)
( Apparently both posters were painted by the same artist - Ian Coleman ).

There is however, another boxed set called 'WEETABIX mail Away' from 1989 -
The 5 dinos all sit nicely each tackt in it's place - but the covering is just too child-like for my taste :

Just added This listing I saw :
It has it all - The rare Big poster at the front of the Box :

Inside the Box - a 20 figures set and a smaller version of the rare poster :

I get the feeling this seller could have got some more had he opened the auction outside the UK :

Duna

Oh, that's a very complete information about everything Invicta, thank you very much. I do know about the 12 set because I bought one from a French seller (that had repainted some of the figures and I had to take the paint off). I agree with you, the best is the poster inside. It's a pity they didn't put that foamy thing to set the figures. I think the most precious of the late sets is the limited edition of the 20 piece box that had the Lambeosaurus inside. If I'm not wrong I think one of the forum members has it.

BrontoScorpio

Quote from: Libraraptor on April 14, 2023, 10:02:43 PMThat's awesome! An Invicta overdose. Thumbs up and respect for your skills as a collector!
Thanks.
What got me to collect in the first place was the Invicta line.

When I was a small child I loved dinosaurs - but I never had any models to play with or to display -
Maybe we were just too poor or my parents were too cheap ...
in any case there aren't any toy companies or dinosaurs museums here.

So, turning 6 I was very exited when hearing that my grandparents are going to visit the British museum and they will bring me dinosaurs from there.
But they came back empty handed saying it was too big to carry on the plane - so they send it by sea on a ship ...
My expectations obviously rocked sky high and I waited patiently several more months - until a cylinder package arrived.
This seemed strange - but we quickly unpacked it - and for my great disappointment - there it was -
A scientific poster, clearly not suited for a 6 y/o who can't read English.

But I was gracious enough to say 'thank you' nicely and hold on to this poster that is with me till this day :

Many years had passed and I found myself with some colleagues from work at the Barcellona Airport -
And there I saw it in one of the 'duty free' shops - an actual dinosaur model.
Now I know it was just the humble 'schleich brachiosaurus D-73527' from 2011 - but back in 2014 I knew nothing ...
I remember saying to my coliguess :"I didn't think anybody is still fussing about dinosaurs these days, not to mention making models ... "
clearly I overpaid for it ...

Back at home, I sudenly remembered about the nature museum we have in our village.
I worked there one summer when I was twelve, mostly drying plants between pages of books, hunting down spiders in order to feed the centipedes
and looking for this special thing that nightly birds of prey regurgitates ... ( Yes, I know, now it sounds rather awful ).
Anyway, I remembered in one of the offices, not for display, there were many cupboards on tracks
and among them I once got a glimps of a dinosaur modelI knew the museum master had brought from the British museum
( I never got to actually hold it - and anyway this room was out of limit ... )

So now, I said to myself, I got to find this dino and sort what this is all about.
Not being a frightened 6 or 12 y/o anymore - I ventured into the museum and into the 'Forbidden' office - but I found nothing.
Even the stuffed hyena that used to watch on everybody from above at the upper balcony was gone :
( p.s. there was also a huge copy of the Rudolph F. Zallinger mural which I bought several years later )

so, I went home, googled 'British museum dinosaur models' - and the rest is History ...

BrontoScorpio

The nature museum we have in our village is located at the end of an Olive Avenue that goes through in the middle of it :

Built from square Chiseled stones and a round arch in the middle :

I like how a glimpse of the mountains in the background is being seen through :

At the top one can choose turning left or right - I picked the right side this time :

Inside there are display chambers for the local wild animals :

Most are birds :

Migrating birds, birds of pray , Freshwater fowls , etc. :

But some chambers hold Display Dioramas that try to mimic nature life in the old swamp , before it was dried out and many of the species were gone :

Of course you can not escape the walk next to the eerie wall of skeletons and skulls :

ceratopsian

I could feel your six-year-old self's disappointment very vividly!

The nature museum is a very attractive building. Beautiful stonework and well-placed arch.

I'm enjoying your tale here.

BrontoScorpio

Thanks.
One of the nature museum primary goals was to study the old swamp that was drained.
However, several years after, the people realized what a mistake that was :
It serves as a filter for all the slit in the water - so the great lake further down the road would get clear water.
also the Peat land it cleared had 'internal combustion'  unfit for agriculture -
not to mention the Damage to nature.
so, They restored large parts of the old swamp - and I have just returned from a visit there :

Here are few 360 round panorama pics :

To the east :

I saw some water birds at far - so I zoomed in :

North :

west :

The murky waters are filled with big cat fish that will devour anything that falls within ..

This aquatic rodent is actually an invasive species that sadly has a taste for the rare indigenous water lilies - so they are protected beyond iron barbs :

to the south :

Look at the small cute water birds :

And some water buffaloes that were reintroduced :

That's it - visit is over.

BrontoScorpio

Just to wrap up the museum :
Left side is dedicated for archeology.
It is closed now due to renovations - so, the following are archive pics :

Just a mile away there is a river that Bursting out of the ground in several locations what creates multiple small streams
which further splits and murge for another mile or two until they form one big river.
This 'backward' Delta formed a unique nature reserve :

and beyond it there is a small hill that is basically a 3,000 y/o city covered under the soil,
that lies just at the edge of the nature reserve.
The left side of the museum is dedicated for what was found there.

Shamefully, I haven't been to the archeological site for a long time, so here are some archive pics which I may replace after visiting there again :

The outer walls :

inside the city :

The old altar :

The famous stone inscription - the stele - that was taken to the national museum :

That's it.
Next post will be about Dinosaurs - and dinosaurs only ...

BrontoScorpio

... moved ahead

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: