News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA: New for 2023

Started by suspsy, November 04, 2022, 02:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paleo Flo

I like the Stegouros and the Ceratosuchops a lot! I share the opinion that CollectA improves itself a lot.
Welcome to Florassic Park...my collection:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10638.0

Halichoeres

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 03, 2023, 05:17:14 AMThey are nice, but I can't find one I'm really excited in adding to my collection this year, I had the same issue last year as well.

I'm surprised you're not excited for the Cooperoceras at least. It's 1:1 so seems like a natural addition for the park! Different strokes, I guess--for my tastes this year is a really strong assortment.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Sim

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 24, 2023, 03:55:30 AM
Quote from: Thialfi on January 20, 2023, 08:12:17 PMI don't see them make these rather 'basic' ones anytime soon though, they seem to prefer the ones with impressive crests - with good reason. That's where CollectA comes in.

Yeah, PNSO has only made one non-hadrosaurid ornithopod, and CollectA has pretty much only done hadrosaurs and iguanodontids in the last decade or so. Neither company has done thescelosaurids, hypsilophodontids, dryosaurids, etc., so those are still pretty big gaps.
As Faelrin mentioned, CollectA has made Hypsilophodon...  It's true that thescelosaurids and dryosaurids are missing from the picture, but maybe they just aren't popular enough to make?  In the poll I created for BotM small species, Nanosaurus got hardly any votes, in other words barely anyone wanted a figure of it.  Maybe these small non-ceratopsian ornithischians are just not popular?

triceratops83

In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

suspsy

And so is the goblin shark. Dadgonit, I already put in an order last week.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Flaffy

I wonder if avatar_Everything_Dinosaur @Everything_Dinosaur will stock both the Goblin shark and Angelshark. As both come from ancient lineages, and EverythingDinosaur already has a couple extant species stocked like the Nautilus and Przewalski's horse.

bmathison1972

Quote from: triceratops83 on March 06, 2023, 10:03:58 AMKoolasuchus and Anomalocaris are available at Minizoo.

https://www.minizoo.com.au/collecta/collecta-2023/

I ordered them! And the goblin shark, Amazon river dolphin, and honeypot ant

Halichoeres

Quote from: Sim on March 05, 2023, 05:21:33 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on January 24, 2023, 03:55:30 AM
Quote from: Thialfi on January 20, 2023, 08:12:17 PMI don't see them make these rather 'basic' ones anytime soon though, they seem to prefer the ones with impressive crests - with good reason. That's where CollectA comes in.

Yeah, PNSO has only made one non-hadrosaurid ornithopod, and CollectA has pretty much only done hadrosaurs and iguanodontids in the last decade or so. Neither company has done thescelosaurids, hypsilophodontids, dryosaurids, etc., so those are still pretty big gaps.
As Faelrin mentioned, CollectA has made Hypsilophodon...  It's true that thescelosaurids and dryosaurids are missing from the picture, but maybe they just aren't popular enough to make?  In the poll I created for BotM small species, Nanosaurus got hardly any votes, in other words barely anyone wanted a figure of it.  Maybe these small non-ceratopsian ornithischians are just not popular?

Yeah, CollectA made the little Hypsilophodon diorama, which is useful in its way, but it is from the period where their figures were a little less well made, and there still isn't a figure that gives a fair impression of its anatomy (Geoworld notwithstanding). As for popularity, it's plainly true that if there were only two dinosaur toys on the market, one dryosaurid and one tyrannosaurid, the latter would sell more. But CollectA seems to recognize that they can get some sales from less popular organisms that nobody else is making, so to my mind they seem like the most obvious choice to make some of those neglected bipedal ornithischians.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Sim

That last sentence is perceptive, I think.  I wouldn't be against CollectA making bipedal ornithischians.

SenSx

So apparently the Collecta Animalocaris is outdated.

Which is the best one on the market, iwth more accuracy ?

Flaffy

Quote from: SenSx on April 13, 2023, 10:44:01 PMSo apparently the Collecta Animalocaris is outdated.

Which is the best one on the market, iwth more accuracy ?

Takara TOMY beats everyone by quite a bit. Though there are other decent options out there as shown in my ranking:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10525.msg332360#msg332360

Threads on inaccuracies if you're interested in reading them:
1) https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10525.msg332316#msg332316
2) https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10525.msg332427#msg332427

SenSx

Ok thanks a lot Flaffy !

I will see which I prefer
AND I learned some new things: Anomalocaris was not the trilobite killer and maybe not the apex predator we thought it was
I'm disappointed :(
But it was still a huge animal for that period.

suspsy

Considering that the review for CollectA Anomalocaris currently has a 4.8/5 star rating with 91 votes, I don't think very many people really care that much about the inaccuracies. I suspected that would be the case.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Lynx

Quote from: suspsy on April 17, 2023, 03:48:47 PMConsidering that the review for CollectA Anomalocaris currently has a 4.8/5 star rating with 91 votes, I don't think very many people really care that much about the inaccuracies. I suspected that would be the case.

People tend to care less, it seems, as long as the creature isn't a dinosaur.
An oversized house cat.

Fembrogon

I imagine if we had more figures that were up-to-date for comparison, people would be more critical; as it is, most of the good Anomalocaris toys come from Japan and have limited accessibility. If Safari or another prominent Western company came out with one, we might see perspectives change.

Gwangi

Quote from: Lynx on April 17, 2023, 03:59:01 PM
Quote from: suspsy on April 17, 2023, 03:48:47 PMConsidering that the review for CollectA Anomalocaris currently has a 4.8/5 star rating with 91 votes, I don't think very many people really care that much about the inaccuracies. I suspected that would be the case.

People tend to care less, it seems, as long as the creature isn't a dinosaur.

Most definitely. And God forbid a dinosaur like T. rex or Spinosaurus have as many inaccuracies as the CollectA Anomalocaris, it would be lucky to receive a 2-3 star rating. That the Anomalocaris has a 4.8 star rating clearly shows the bias around here. But it's also like I said in the Haolonggood thread, we can be picky about accuracy with things like T. rex, but with animals like Ouranosaurus (or Anamalocaris) we can't really be too choosey.

Flaffy

I'm sure people would care if let's say a Velociraptor model had no nostrils, missing digits, featherless and no lips. And particularly so if it's being passed off as a scientifically accurate reconstruction.

It's all a matter of perspective.

Faelrin

I imagine more folks are more familiar with the details on dinosaurs versus invertebrates too (edit: same with fish). Honestly as much as I love my Cambrian creatures, I frequently need a refresher on their anatomy. Honestly that new Opabinia guide was a really good way to do that especially with visual learners like me. I learn a lot from figures when done correctly as well. Would love more of that for Anomalocaris and the like.

Anyways Anomalocaris has excellent representation though a lot of it isn't readily available (in say this part of the world). Off hand Colorata, Favorite Ltd, F-Toys, Kaiyodo, Safari Ltd, Takara Tomy, and Yowie did them and these are just toys more or less. Most of those are also from Japan, and some are retired too. So I do agree it would have been nice to have had an accurate rendition of it from CollectA, since it may be the most readily available one in western markets. I see avatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon also touched on this above.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

DinoFan2010

You have a point. We see dinosaurs everywhere, documentaries, movies, animatronics, et cetera, et cetera, but Paleozoic life forms are rarely seen in media, of course with the exception of Dimetrodon. So inaccuracies would be harder to point out.

___🦕 🦕 🦖_________

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: