News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mattel - New for 2023

Started by Faelrin, August 27, 2022, 10:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SBell

Quote from: Gwangi on May 14, 2023, 09:10:01 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 14, 2023, 04:49:46 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on May 14, 2023, 02:44:48 PMI was finding stuff at Best Buy about a year ago, that's where I got my Shringasaurus. But they don't even have spots on the shelves for Jurassic World anymore. As for Walmart, mine is still carrying stock from several months to a year ago. The ED Dimetrodon and Velociraptor, Quilmesaurus, Ampelosaurus, Rajasaurus, etc. Even the minis are wave 1 minis and the Captivz are the Dominion Captivz. It's frustrating.

Same here. I recall when those were hard to find around a year ago, people were ordering them from Amazon.co.jp .  Walmart I don't think understands clearance sales. The Avatar Way of Water toys were in the clearance aisle the week after the film came out for half price, other toys are there marked down by 1.00 and toys that have been on the shelf for around a year ( like jurassic ) are still full price.  Maybe it's a store to store thing or they just have a ton of back stock, it's moving but we can't tell it is? 

Amazon has sent me a few updates on my preorders requesting I approve new time frames for release. So keep an eye out on those. You don't get much time to approve before they cancel it.

I remember that wave with the Tanystropheus having virtually no store presence and then all of a sudden they were on Amazon for retail price and stayed there for a long time. I'm hoping something like that happens again. If not then all well. I've gotten pretty complacent about the distribution issues. I get what I can and shrug off what I can't. There's always hope for a repaint eventually too.  Target is usually well stocked but they pretty much refuse to stock smaller Attack Pack style figures so that's usually what I miss out on.

I got my Tany from someone in the US. Then it showed up on Amazon Canada for normal price.

On the other hand, the Maisie+Lystrosaurus never appeared here

MLMjp

Found a review of the Camouflage Indominus in German.

Can't understand a thing but my goodness I really like this figure, and I know everyone is waiting for a HC version (Mattel please make Spino and Giga first, leave the I.rex for last...) but this is super tempting (specially went my current Indominus requires assistance to stand straight).

Gwangi

Quote from: SBell on May 14, 2023, 10:48:47 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on May 14, 2023, 09:10:01 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 14, 2023, 04:49:46 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on May 14, 2023, 02:44:48 PMI was finding stuff at Best Buy about a year ago, that's where I got my Shringasaurus. But they don't even have spots on the shelves for Jurassic World anymore. As for Walmart, mine is still carrying stock from several months to a year ago. The ED Dimetrodon and Velociraptor, Quilmesaurus, Ampelosaurus, Rajasaurus, etc. Even the minis are wave 1 minis and the Captivz are the Dominion Captivz. It's frustrating.

Same here. I recall when those were hard to find around a year ago, people were ordering them from Amazon.co.jp .  Walmart I don't think understands clearance sales. The Avatar Way of Water toys were in the clearance aisle the week after the film came out for half price, other toys are there marked down by 1.00 and toys that have been on the shelf for around a year ( like jurassic ) are still full price.  Maybe it's a store to store thing or they just have a ton of back stock, it's moving but we can't tell it is? 

Amazon has sent me a few updates on my preorders requesting I approve new time frames for release. So keep an eye out on those. You don't get much time to approve before they cancel it.

I remember that wave with the Tanystropheus having virtually no store presence and then all of a sudden they were on Amazon for retail price and stayed there for a long time. I'm hoping something like that happens again. If not then all well. I've gotten pretty complacent about the distribution issues. I get what I can and shrug off what I can't. There's always hope for a repaint eventually too.  Target is usually well stocked but they pretty much refuse to stock smaller Attack Pack style figures so that's usually what I miss out on.

I got my Tany from someone in the US. Then it showed up on Amazon Canada for normal price.

On the other hand, the Maisie+Lystrosaurus never appeared here

I wouldn't be surprised if the Maisie+Lystrosaurus set showed up randomly there. It was elusive here too and I was anxious about it (I really wanted the Lystro). It kept coming up on sale on Target then selling out within minutes, then one day it showed up there and stayed there.

Blade-of-the-Moon

My Elasmosaurus came in today

LOVE this one!

Gwangi

The Elasmosaurus is a must have. 

Faelrin

Mattel's marine reptiles have always been some of their best figures (ignoring accuracy). This one is no exception. I think the upcoming Dakosaurus is also something to look forward to, but this Elasmosaurus is certainly more impressive.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Blade-of-the-Moon

Size certainly plays a factor here. I love big toys even if they are space hogs.  The color is also great very much like the Tany, but this one doesn't feel like it's missing any paint either.  The skull isn't super accurate it's very 80's/90's but I'll live with it. I would love to introduce it to a pool and I'm sure kids will but not sure if the mechanics will hold up?

This one will go right up there with some of the top toys Mattel has made for the line, even in the marine category which as said is pretty full of great pieces already.  What else do they have left in reality for our marine collection? Icthyosaurus? 

Prehistory Resurrection

Faelrin

avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon Definitely could use Ichthyosaurus itself, and/or bigger. We have two pliosaurs (Liopluerodon, Kronosaurus), two other plesiosaurs (Plesiosaurus, Elasmosaurus), one mosasaur (Mosasaurus), and even an upcoming metriorhynchid now (Dakosaurus). I think the Nothosaurus and Tanystropheus also count for marine reptiles technically. Four of these are from just this year alone.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Faelrin on May 15, 2023, 05:34:11 PMavatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon Definitely could use Ichthyosaurus itself, and/or bigger. We have two pliosaurs (Liopluerodon, Kronosaurus), two other plesiosaurs (Plesiosaurus, Elasmosaurus), one mosasaur (Mosasaurus), and even an upcoming metriorhynchid now (Dakosaurus). I think the Nothosaurus and Tanystropheus also count for marine reptiles technically. Four of these are from just this year alone.

I for one am glad that they see potential in these species I just hope kids go for them as well. I know the Mosasaurus was popular and they seem to like the Kronosaurus pretty well too. I sold out of plesiosaurs a long while ago and just recently Tanys.  Maybe they could make a larger sized Shonisaurus as well?

Mellow Stego

Has the Hammond Collection Metriacanthosaurus been released yet? Everyplace I look it says it's sold out.
Keep calm and love dinosaurs

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Mellow Stego on May 16, 2023, 04:40:49 AMHas the Hammond Collection Metriacanthosaurus been released yet? Everyplace I look it says it's sold out.

BBTS had it in ans shipped already I think. Amazon delayed theirs. EE has it for July.

PrimevalRaptor

That Elasmosaurus is really nice, even if they're not perfectly accurate and stylized (I mean they are toys after all) it's so nice to see that Mattels marine reptiles continue to be among their best offerings (especially as someone who in their childhood was longing for marine reptile toys that weren't just Elasmosaurus)
Do agree though, I hope ichthyosaurs are next on the menu, could easily do those in smaller ranges or make larger ones like Shonisaurus or Temnodontosaurus.

Cretaceous Crab

Quote from: Prehistory Resurrection on May 16, 2023, 05:09:45 PM

Probably the first theropod they've made with full lips besides a Dromaeosaur. It's a shame the proportions are so weird.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Baby HC Rex came in today from EE and the HC Cory and Irritator from BBTS.

The baby Rex feels like the mold needed tweaking? The claw tips are barely there compared to the prototype, just soft details overall?

Irritator looks great, A nice light grey wash will do wonders for it.  The Cory actually looks better I think than the prototype?

EmperorDinobot

They gave us Jophery before they gave us Dr. Wu, And just so they'd give us another REDACTED Velociraptor repaint. But it will be nice to have jpworkers.

MLMjp

Oh, its a SHOOT HER! pack, nice. At least this one justifies having a raptor figure since it was on the scene.

Gwangi

Neat to have the workers and raptor crate. I won't pay full price for it but clearance price? Sure. I like the Mercedes but not enough to buy another T. rex, especially such a mediocre one. Again, maybe clearance. Not a big enough Lost World fan to NEED it.

Faelrin

I agree with avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi, the cage and Jurassic Park workers is nice, but I would much rather wait for it to go on clearance. Besides, knowing Target it will be quite the wait before any of this shows up. Definitely not worth pre-ordering.

I also don't think they've messed up that poorly on the coloration of a JP raptor since the 2019 set with Muldoon, aside from the one in the set with Ellie earlier this year. Couldn't even get the eye color right, which is so simple. Last year's (and 2020's) was a better attempt. I don't get how stuff like this keeps slipping by.

Edit: Apparantly it has a glow in the dark eye, and it does glow green in the dark, so that explains the yellow. Was there no way for the base color to be green though, like similar to the BotM Zuniceratops?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: