News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO : New for 2023

Started by Renecito, February 08, 2023, 12:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thomasw100

I must admit that this Spinosaurus really looks impressive, really like a proper dinosaur and not like some swamp monster.

Tracewyrm!

Quote from: Mattyonyx on November 29, 2023, 04:54:57 PMJudging by the picture, it's clearly based on Sereno's reconstruction, so there would be an interesting (even if a little unfair) comparison to the previous model, based on Ibrahim's paper.

I know there's probably a good comprehensive answer somewhere else on the internet, but as someone who isn't too familiar with Spinosaurus research beyond the broad strokes, what are the differences between Sereno and Ibrahim's reconstructions?
* (It's locked.)

Mattyonyx

Quote from: Tracewyrm! on November 29, 2023, 06:17:39 PM
Quote from: Mattyonyx on November 29, 2023, 04:54:57 PMJudging by the picture, it's clearly based on Sereno's reconstruction, so there would be an interesting (even if a little unfair) comparison to the previous model, based on Ibrahim's paper.

I know there's probably a good comprehensive answer somewhere else on the internet, but as someone who isn't too familiar with Spinosaurus research beyond the broad strokes, what are the differences between Sereno and Ibrahim's reconstructions?

This comparison shows all the differences between the two versions.

Basically, we're talking about the general proportions, the length of the neck, the shape of the gastralia, and the height of many vertebrae, resulting in a rounder sail compared to the "M" sail from the 2014/2020 version and the disappearance of the notch at the base of the tail.

oscars_dinos

A couple interesting things, for starters no lips, which honestly I am ok with, I had a whole list of theropods I wanted prior to pnso's new found love for lips and honestly now that they are adding lips Im throwing that list away and am looking at what comes in the future, my only exception being the sucho. I am no paleontologist but as a paleo artist I have always struggled to put lips on my Spinos, that's not to say they didn't have lips, that can be a whole debate, but I will say from the way the teeth are too their lifestyles I do think if any dinos didn't have lips it would be the spino family.The other thing I like is that it docent look like the sail is too skinny, I hate when you can see all the vertebrae on the sail, Its still a bit too skinny in that remark but it doesn't look too bad. Lastly my last thing is the pose...BORING... I'm not usually one to get negative here cuz ultimately these are just Dino toys and good ones at that but I will say this is the fist time I've actually had an issue with a pnso pose, maybe its because the last spino they did is in such a nice pose (even tho it is on all fours). Besides that I hope the size is good for those who get this but spino seems to change at this point every year and I'm honestly tired of collecting such a fragmentary animal, not to say I'll never get a spino but Im going to let some time pass (might sell my old pnso spino too if anyone is interested)

Faelrin

I'm really glad this new Spinosaurus has the coloration of the previous one, since I really liked this. I like that this fixes the posture, and even updates the sail based on last year's (I think) paper. That said I did back the Mesozoic Life one, and while I'm looking forward to that, I might pick this one up. Kind of glad I never got around to picking up the 2020 version since this is an easy upgrade. The lack of lips don't bother me too much. I think it's plausible they had them, but I'm not as bothered as them not having them, such as like tyrannosaurids or dromaeosaurids for example.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Sim

I like the pose of this Spinosaurus.  I don't like the pose of the previous PNSO Spinosaurus figure, it was contorted, quadrupedal and made it look like a swamp monster.  I don't think there's a problem with this new Spinosaurus's sail.  In some sail-backed animals the vertebrae are visible when the animal is alive, as can be seen here: https://reptilis.net/2014/06/21/tall-spines-and-sailed-backs-a-survey-of-sailbacks-across-time/

oscars_dinos

Quote from: Sim on November 29, 2023, 07:43:10 PMI like the pose of this Spinosaurus.  I don't like the pose of the previous PNSO Spinosaurus figure, it was contorted, quadrupedal and made it look like a swamp monster.  I don't think there's a problem with this new Spinosaurus's sail.  In some sail-backed animals the vertebrae are visible when the animal is alive, as can be seen here: https://reptilis.net/2014/06/21/tall-spines-and-sailed-backs-a-survey-of-sailbacks-across-time/

I see what your saying it just feels stiff to me maybe I need to see it at a different angle, and yeah I've seen those examples before my only thing is that all those animals are much smaller and have much less mass then Spinosaurus, not saying spino had a hump I just don't think you would see the individual vertebrae, ill link my depiction of spino mainly so you could see what I mean

https://www.instagram.com/p/CtC_Rqlrqoe/?img_index=2

Sim

I don't see the pose as stiff, because it reminds me of large water birds like a heron or a swan, plus it looks like Andrea Cau's most recent Spinosaurus skeletal.

I'm not aware of a reason for Spinosaurus's back vertebrae not being visible inside the sail.

suspsy

I think this Spinosaurus looks quite nice.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Gwangi

Looks like the Spinosaurus I've been waiting for!  ^-^

Stegotyranno420

You know its a good spino when most of the forum says its good and agrees nearly unanimously

Pliosaurking

If I never backed the Mesozoic Life Spinosaurus, which I prefer, I would grab this one. PNSO's version however definitely makes a great alternative to that figure, if anyone missed out on it.

SidB

If this is indeed what we can expect to receive, it will be retiring the original large PNSO Spino in my collection.

Pinbacker

I'll definitely be ordering this new PNSO Spinosaurus as soon as it is available. I also backed the Mesozoic Life Spinosaurus, and I'm excited to get that model in hand as well. I think there's room on the shelf for both...I might display the MS Spinosaurus as an Oxalaia, just for variety's sake.

Concavenator

This PNSO Spinosaurus looks great, but I'm in the same boat as avatar_Quiversaurus @Quiversaurus , until we have a good understanding of the creature, I don't plan to get any figure of it. And if I wanted to get a Spinosaurus, I would still wait for the Mesozoic Life version, which is also great plus it would help support a small company.

I would much rather have an Edmontosaurus instead, which is also an iconic animal and we have a pretty solid understanding of it. But the Spinosaurus is inevitable, so it's fine by me if it gets officially revealed soon and we move on to the next thing!

P @Pinbacker According to Smyth, Ibrahim & Martill (2020), Oxalaia is Spinosaurus.

Quiversaurus

Quote from: Concavenator on November 30, 2023, 10:37:34 AMP @Pinbacker According to Smyth, Ibrahim & Martill (2020), Oxalaia is Spinosaurus.

I never knew there was a paper on Oxalaia vs Spinosaurus vs Sigilmassasaurus that was conclusive on this topic, thanks for that. Do you know where I can find the full paper by any chance?

TlatolophusJuanorum

Quote from: Quiversaurus on November 30, 2023, 10:55:29 AM
Quote from: Concavenator on November 30, 2023, 10:37:34 AMP @Pinbacker According to Smyth, Ibrahim & Martill (2020), Oxalaia is Spinosaurus.

I never knew there was a paper on Oxalaia vs Spinosaurus vs Sigilmassasaurus that was conclusive on this topic, thanks for that. Do you know where I can find the full paper by any chance?
Always use Sci-hub for scientific papers
Here you have the pdf

Lynx

I thought that paper wasn't really final? (when it comes to Oxalaia)
An oversized house cat.

Quiversaurus

Quote from: TlatolophusJuanorum on November 30, 2023, 02:03:37 PM
Quote from: Quiversaurus on November 30, 2023, 10:55:29 AM

Always use Sci-hub for scientific papers
Here you have the pdf

Absolutely wonderful. Thank you so much, will give it a good read.

Concavenator

avatar_Quiversaurus @Quiversaurus avatar_TlatolophusJuanorum @TlatolophusJuanorum beat me to it. Personally, I would avoid using Sci-Hub though. There's a lot of controversy around it and I'm not sure using it is legal to begin with. avatar_Quiversaurus @Quiversaurus , if you're in university, you may have access to the paper on ScienceDirect. I have access to it and can forward it to you if you PM me your e-mail. But looks like you accessed to it already?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: